z

Young Writers Society

A Life Seeing the Cullens (Cont.)

Reviews: 0
Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:31 am
ISeeEdward says...

6. Runaway

It's been almost seven months since we got married, and we are living our lives to the fullest. We still head out to the little house out back and gaze at the stars or just talk inside. We were happier than ever.
I was looking at an old scrapbook my father gave me. There were even more pictures in it, plus some diary entrees, but that one I kept at my real house. My step-father walked in on me.
"What you looking at, kid?"
"Nothing," I replied. I didn't want him to destroy more memories.
He stole the scrapbook from my hands and looked at it.
"Oh, for the love of…! Get over this guy, already! He's dead! Gone!"
"He's my real father!" I yelled at him. He was angering me.
"Hey! You don't raise your voice at me, young lady, because I'M your father!"
"Not my real father!"
"Yes I am!"
"Fine! Either you're not my real father, or I don't have a father at all!"
"For the last time! I am your father!" He took the book and ran downstairs. I followed him down. He was going to throw it into the fire pit. I grabbed it, but he was pulling it back. He pulled it out of my hands and threw it in the fire.
"NO!"
"There. Now that that's all settled, I'm going to take a nap."
I collapsed onto my knees in front of the fireplace, staring intensely into the ashes of what used to be memories of my father.
After a while, I grabbed my tote bag and packed my pillow, blanket, and some clothes inside. I went to the fridge and got some food and drinks. Then I ran out to the little house and grabbed a few photos of my dad. Edward was sitting in his usual chair and noticed the tears running down my face.
"Sheila! What's wrong?"
"I'm running away!"
"What?! Why?!"
"The last few memories of my dad were burned by my step-dad! I can't take it any more!"
"No! You are not going anywhere! You have to stay! It's too dangerous to go out there on your own!"
"Well, I'm tough! I can make it!"
"Sheila," Edward whimpered, "please."
I sighed. "I'm sorry, Edward. I have to do this on my own." I kissed his cheek and ran out the door before he could see my tears.
I ran as fast as I could go into the forest. After a while, I had to walk. I was tired. Then Edward appeared next to me.
"What are you doing here?!" I exclaimed.
"Following you. I'd hate it if something happen to you."
"Well, go away! I need to go on my own!"
"No you don't! Let me come with you!"
"No, Edward! Leave me alone!"
"I can't! I couldn't live with myself knowing that you're in danger!"
"Leave me alone! I don't need you anymore! Go away!"
I kept walking. I thought he was behind me, just being quiet. After a while, I had calmed down and was going to apologize.
I turned around, "Edward, I'm so-" He wasn't there. He must have left. I was on my own now. I could survive…I hope.
That night I had two slices of cheese and a juice bag. Then I found a large tree that I could sleep under. I put together my little bed and fell asleep crying.
When I woke up, it was raining. I forgot my coat back at home, so I walked through the rain. At about noon, the rain quit. I had some ham and another juice bag.
I lived like this in the forest, trying to find a town somewhere, for three days.

On day four, I think, I was walking through a large clearing, when a pale mountain lion pounced in front of me. It looked like it hasn't eaten in days. Then I heard another one come up behind me, and to my sides. Two more were circling the inner four in opposite directions. I was being herded! I found a small gap I could run through between two lions, but when I moved that way, one jumped in front of me.
Tears were building up in my eyes. I started to sob. I was going to die, that was for sure. I was stupid for coming out here on my own and telling Edward to go away in the first place.
"I am so sorry for everything, Edward," I whispered to myself.
Through my tears, I saw another pair of eyes. Very dark, coal black eyes. Oh, great! Another lion to kill me. The other lions were closing in on me. Then I saw a flash of pale white pounce at me. I closed my eyes, awaiting death. But, nothing happened. I was still alive, still breathing. I was just pinned down. I heard a growling coming from the lion on me. Yay. Make me suffer. Then I heard the other lions growling, only it sounded like the number had doubled. Even better. They were making a lot of racket, though.
Then, the lion pinning me down stopped growling. I suddenly felt its cool breath on my face.
The lion questioned, "Are you okay?"
Yup, I was dead. My murderer is talking to me. I am defiantly dead. But the voice sounded so familiar, so soothing, so gentle.
"Sheila? Please, wake up." It whispered in my ear.
I slowly opened my eyes. Inches from my face was him. My angel. He saved me after I was so cruel to him.
"Edward!"
"Sheila!"
He helped me up, and hugged me tightly to his chest.
"Oh, Edward! I am so sorry! I was so stupid for telling you to go away. I was stupid for running away in the first place!" I cried.
"It's okay," he whimpered, "I forgive you. Oh, Sheila! I'm just so happy you're okay! When I saw those mountain lions surrounding you, I brought my family to help."
I looked around me. No wonder it sounded like the number doubled! Half of them were the Cullens!
"Oh, Edward. I don't deserve this. I deserve to die. I was so cruel and so harsh to you," I whispered.
"No! Don't think like that!" he exclaimed, "Yes, you were callous and ruthless, but you were upset! Anger took you over! I forgive you!" Then, he quietly whispered, "I forgive you."
We stared into each others eyes for a while, ignoring the entire ruckus around us.
"I'll take you home. You look awful," he whispered.
"I feel terribly awful," I whimpered.
"It's okay. I'm here. I forgive you for everything. I missed you so much."
"Me, too," I moaned weakly. "I love you, Edward."
"I love you, too," he whispered into my ear. He kissed my head, picked up my tote bag, and carried me to the little house. I was asleep the whole way.

7. Home

I woke up wrapped in my blanket. I opened my eyes to see Edward's beautiful face. He was sitting in his chair, holding me close in his arms.
"Hey there, Sleeping Beauty. How do you feel?"
"Okay," I moaned.
"You don't sound okay. Do you feel weak?"
I nodded.
"Well, why don't you walk around for a while, then go see your mother?"
"No! I won't go back there!" I exclaimed as loud as I could, which wasn't very much louder than a whisper.
"Don't worry. Your step-father is gone. They got a divorce as soon as he said 'I burned some pictures of the guy before me she was looking at.'"
I tried to smile, but I wasn't sure if I did.
"Carlisle," he called, "She's awake."
Carlisle came in the door looking like the doctor he was. He checked me over and said I was fine. I just needed to eat and walk around.
I had a cold sandwich I had in the ice box with a soda. I felt stronger now. As I walked around my little house, I took the photos of my father and put them back in their places. I smiled, happy to see his face again. Edward came up behind me and held me next to his side.
"It's good to be home," I whispered.
"Yes," he agreed, "Yes, it is."
After some more walking, I went back home to my mother. When I came through the door, she burst into tears and hugged me to death.
"Oh, Sheila! I was so worried! Where have you been?!"
"It's a long story," I said. Then I thought about Edward and his family. "Plus, I don't really want to talk about it. But if you wouldn’t crush me so much, that would be just great."
She nodded, and again hugged me.
For the next week, I was recovering. Melissa and Tanya visited often. I told them everything, except the part about the mountain lions. When I had Melissa alone, I told her that. She was shocked.
"You are very lucky Edward forgave you so quickly," she said.
"Yeah," I sighed, "Without him, I wouldn't be here right now. I still think I didn't deserve being saved. I was so cruel to him."
"You definitely deserved it. You are too young to die. Plus, Edward's love for you was too strong. He couldn't let you go," she smiled.
"Yeah," I sighed, "You're right."
I never thought of it that way. I never thought that Edward's love for me would make him forgive me, especially so quickly. I imagined what would happen if he didn't. I shuddered at the thought. I had to thank him again, only with more heart and thought this time now that I knew why he really saved me.
When I was finally strong again, I told Edward to meet me out in our little house at midnight. As soon as my mother was asleep, I threw on my best dress, grabbed some decorative lights, and ran to our little abode. I hung the lights around the room and shut off the built-in lights. The lamps were dim, but they gave off enough light to see. I brushed my hair until it looked nice. I glanced at the clock. Five more minutes until he came. I was trying to pick out some music to listen to, but I couldn't find the right song for the moment.
Then I noticed my other Taylor Swift CD. I looked through the tracks and I found the perfect song. Teardrops on My Guitar. I set it in the radio, put it on track 3, and waited. I looked at the clock again. One more minute. I could wait one minute, but it seemed like ten.
Finally, the door creaked open slowly. I stood up, not wanting to wait any longer. He peeked inside and smiled, "Is this for me?"
I nodded, "Yes, it is. I just wanted to say thanks again, Edward."
He laughed softly, "You did all this just to thank me?"
"Sure," I shrugged, "Wanna dance?" I asked, holding out my hand. I started the song.
"Oh, why not," he smiled as took my hand.
We ballroom danced together, although I didn't really know how to, while Edward, on the other hand, was very good at it. I did what I could, using only what I knew from movies, and danced with him.
He started singing along with the song, and I joined in. We stared into each others eyes.
When that song ended, we skipped to Mary's Song. We started dancing again.
"So, what is all this really for?" he asked halfway through the song.
I sighed, "When Melissa came by a few days ago, I told her what happened. She thinks that the reason you forgave me at all was because your love was too strong to let me go."
"Well, she was right. I love you too much," he whispered, "and I'm not going to do anything about it except love you more."
I began to blush a deep, dark red. It made my face warm up rapidly.
He chuckled at my flush, and lightly caressed my cheek.
I smiled, knowing that things were back to normal once again. I rested my hand on his cheek as he smiled, too.
We danced for another two hours, changing songs and CDs every once in a while. I was so happy Edward forgave me so quickly and rescued me. Without him, I wouldn't be here with him tonight. I would probably be rotting away in the forest right now. If that did happen, the only good thing that would come out of it is that I would get to see my father again. As I realized more and more how much Edward cared about me and why he saved me, tears started to run down my cheeks.
"What's wrong?" he asked, worried.
"Nothing, nothing," I assured him.
"Then why are you crying?"
"I'm just so happy that you saved me. Every second we are together, I'm understanding why you saved me."
"Really?"
"I can name a few."
"Name them, then."
"You love me too much. If I was…gone," I tried to find the right word, not wanting the hurt to come back, "you would be alone again. You can't live without me…"
"Okay, okay! I get it!" he laughed. I laughed with him.
When it was four in the morning, we headed home. We left the house the way it was. I thought it looked pretty that way. We raced back home, as usual, running as fast as I could. I ran pretty well for someone running extremely fast in a dress.
"You look like you run faster in a dress!" Edward exclaimed when he got there, seconds after I did. I just grinned as I grabbed his hand and went inside. This would be one of those memorable nights that could never be forgotten.

8. Turned Against and Turned Over

I don't know how long it has been since my…adventure. I try not to remember it much because it was terrifying and depressing. I've been happier since my step-dad has gone. My mother is looking for another man, and is making sure we like each other. She is afraid I might runaway again if I don't like the new guy.
I don't know why, but Rosalie has been hating me more and more with every passing day. Whenever she saw me, she would look at me with a furious stare. I tried to avoid her, thinking something bad might happen soon…and I was horribly right.
Edward was out on a hunting trip while I waited for him to come back. I was lying on my cot in the little house, tired from the night before, for I had stayed up all night. I fell asleep against my will. I was dreaming about my adventure months ago, when I felt a lot of excruciating pain. My leg was burning. Burning like a fire in the desert on a five hundred degree day. I started to scream in agonizing pain.
My eyes flew open. I looked at the burning leg, and there, biting it, was Rosalie, a terrifying look on her face.
"Rose! What are you-Ah!" she stopped me mid-sentence, biting my leg even harder.
I tried ignore the pain so I could call for help, but Rose was biting harder every minute.
Finally, I was able to shriek, "Edward! Bit! Venom!"
As Rosalie bit my leg as deep as she could, her teeth touching my bones, Edward burst through the door. He was growling a terrorizing snarl that ripped through his throat.
He looked at me, and his face became a mixed emotion of worry, anger, and terror.
He looked back at Rose, who was now in a half-crouched position and growling.
"What have you done?!" he snarled. His growl became louder and even more horrifying.
Rosalie then pounced at him. They tumbled out the door, fighting. I wanted to follow them out, but my leg was burning, and the fire was spreading. It was in my whole my leg now, and it felt like it was burning near my heart now.
I shrieked a bloodcurdling cry, "Carlisle! Venom! Rosalie's venom!"
Two seconds later, Carlisle came through the door with Edward. I could hear Jasper and Emmett trying to calm Rose down just barely. I basically lost all my senses for a moment, so I was deaf for a second and my hearing was slowly fading back.
"What did you do that for?" I heard Em yell.
"You could have killed her! And nobody wants to see Edward the way he was after Bella left him again!" Jasper exclaimed.
"I don't care! I don't like that scrawny excuse for a human!" Rose criticized, "I hope she dies!"
I didn't want to hear anymore of it, so I just focused on Edward on Carlisle the best I could.
"Is she going to live, Carlisle?" Edward asked franticly.
"Yes, but only if the venom is sucked out in time," Carlisle responded calmly but quickly, "Can you do that, Edward?"
He didn't answer, so I guess he nodded.
"Sheila? Love? Can you hear me?" he asked, his voice a little calmer.
I opened my eyes, and I saw his face, terrified with anger hiding behind it.
"Edward," I moaned, "make it stop. Make the burning stop. It hurts so bad. I don't want to change yet."
"It's alright. I'm here. I'm going to stop the pain and make you feel better, okay?"
"Hurry," I whimpered. The pain was getting sharper every passing second.
Then I felt a new pain. He was biting me in the same place Rosalie bit me. It was agonizingly painful. It felt like I was bitten a million times. It felt like it was burning, but not as hot.
The fire around my leg was diminishing, but not in the upper half of my body. My senses began fading away again.
As I started losing my hearing and sight, I faintly heard Edward whisper to me, "Sheila? Are you there?"
"Yes," I said, quieter than a whisper.
"You're gonna be okay. You'll just be…away from us for a while. I'm going to write a letter to your mother, telling her that you want to camp out in the woods by yourself for a few days. She'll think it's from you."
"Stay?"
"Of course. Why would I leave you?"
"Good."
He laughed as he brushed my face.
"I love you." My words were slurring.
"I love you, too."
Everything then faded to black, I couldn't feel anything, and I couldn't hear a sound. I slipped away from the world, my family, my friends, and my Edward.

I woke up a few days later, I think. My mind was hazy and I felt dizzy. My eyes fluttered open and all I saw was a light brown ceiling about three or four yards up. I could see a tiny fly clinging to it.
Then I heard the familiar voice of my savior, saying, "Oh, I hope we weren't too late. Please, please, PLEASE wake up. Please don't be dead."
"Edward, I'm fine. I'm not dead. You rescued me in plenty of time" I moaned, recognizing that my voice was a little higher than usual.
"What? I didn't say that. At least, not out loud." He then paused for a short second. "Sheila!"
"Hey there, Edward." I whispered. As my senses came back, I noticed that I was being held on his lap, but he wasn't as cool as he usually was. He was a little warmer, actually.
"I am so happy you're okay! But how did you know what I was thinking?"
I shrugged, regretting that because it was so painful.
I looked at his face. He looked like he was deep in thought.
As I waited for him to come up with an answer, I heard Emmett talking to himself, "Rose can be a huge pain in the neck sometimes." Then I heard Rose just about a foot away from him, "I hope she's dead, I hope she's dead, I hope she's dead. Please, let her be dead."
I was shocked that Emmett said that in front of Rose. Then I was even more shocked that she wasn't throwing a fit about it.
While I was thinking, Edward startled me, setting me down in the chair. My gaze followed him until he went out the door with a quick pace.
A few seconds later, he came back with Carlisle. I wondered if something was wrong, for both of their faces were full of concern.
"How do you feel, Sheila?" Carlisle asked, examining me.
"Okay, I guess. A little dizzy, and my mind is a little hazy."
"I am thinking of a particular object. What is it?" he quizzed me. I didn't get why he asked, but I thought hard, looking straight at him. Then I heard him say "futon", but his lips didn't move. I answered anyway.
"Futon."
His face became worried. "Okay. Now what object am I thinking of?"
Again, I heard his voice, this time saying "cello", but his lips still didn't move.
"Cello."
Edward and Carlisle exchanged anxious glances.
"Excuse me, but what is with the guessing games?"
Neither one answered me. I decided to head outside and warm up. I was a little chilly.
It didn't look like either one of them noticed me, so I opened the door and inhaled a lungful of warm, fresh air. As I brushed my hair away from my face, I saw something sparkle on my hand just faintly. I lifted my hand to my face, and gasped.
My hand was glistening in the sun just barely.
"Carlisle," I called my voice a bit shaky.
"What is it?" he asked, his voice concerned.
I slowly turned around. As I turned, he gasped, along with Edward who was standing next to him.
"What's going on?" I whimpered.
"I think she has been…turned over." Edward whispered.
"Not completely," Carlisle objected, "look at her eyes. They are not red. And her skin doesn't glisten like ours."
Edward whispered, "So, she's a…"
"Half-breed?!" I finished, shocked by the results.
Carlisle nodded at both of us.
"But…How? The venom was sucked out of me, right?"
"Yes, but we might have missed some," Carlisle explained, "There's a good chance it was near the heart."
"So, I'll be like this forever?" I questioned, anxious to hear.
"I'm afraid so," Carlisle responded.
"I just have one have question," I said.
He just looked at me.
"Why were you asking me those questions earlier?"
"Well," Edward sighed, "When you said that you weren't dead and that I saved you in time, I thought you read my mind. So, I got Carlisle to look at you and ask you those questions. Did you hear what he said, but his lips didn't move?"
"Yes," I said, sounding more like a question rather than a statement.
There was a long silence.
Then Carlisle sighed, "You can read minds now, Sheila."
I was speechless. I mean, I used to have a pretty good guess of what people were thinking about, but this was ridiculously amazing!
I could feel something in my mind, but I can't describe it very well. Maybe something like some kind of slime or something was sliding around the inside of my head. I had a theory that when ever I felt that, someone was reading my mind.
So, in my mind, I said, "At least we can talk in private now."
I read Edward's mind, pushing my "mind-reading wire," as I called it, towards him. I heard him mentally chuckle, "Good point."
I giggled out loud as he smiled.
"I see you figured out how to use your power," he said.
"Guess so."
"Well, I better get back to Forks. I told the hospital I would be back on Wednesday," Carlisle said.
"Alright. Goodbye, Carlisle," Edward replied.
"Thanks again for helping me with the transformation thing, Carlisle," I thanked him.
He nodded and left.
"And thank you, Edward, for saving my life once again." I whispered mentally, knowing he was reading my mind.
"When ever you need me, I'll be there," he promised.
We went into the forest so he could teach me some things, like hunting and run as fast as he could. I knew he wasn't faster! He had a secret, but I won't tell. He playfully threatened that if I told anyone, I would be his next meal.
When he taught me the basics of hunting, we went out to hunt. I found a buck, grazing in a clearing, like he wasn't going to be my lunch soon.
"Can I get that one?" I mentally asked my voice eager and full of excitement.
"They are kind of hard to catch, but you can try. Don't be disappointed if it gets away," he told me, mentally of course.
I focused very hard on the buck. He was totally unaware of our presence. He wasn't alert yet. The wind was blowing towards us, keeping our scent away from it, but blowing the buck's scent in my face. The aroma smelled delicious.
I crouched down, aiming for the buck's back. I planned it all out. I would leap on his back, bite him in the back of the neck, and break his spine. If that didn't work, I would go around it and leap from the side where it couldn't see me up ahead.
Finally leaped at it, not even making a sound. I successfully made it on its back, and bit its neck hard. It then collapsed, as I jumped off it. The buck was panting heavily, taking the last breaths of its life.
I looked behind me, and noticed that we were only a few inches away from where the buck was originally standing. I also saw Edward's stunned face. I laughed as he walked up next to me.
"You're…pretty good, for a beginner," he complimented.
"Pretty good?!" I objected, "I was great! I caught my first lunch, and it was a buck!"
"Alright, alright! You were amazing out there. I've never seen anyone take down a buck that quickly, though."
"I'm just very talented," I smirked.
We went on with our hunting trip, and went home after a few catches. I was really getting used to the life of a vegetarian vampire.

9. A Friend in Danger of Me

I've been a newborn for a week now, hunting alongside Edward as he taught me more and more things about hunting and the dangers of being a vampire, like that yearning thirst for human blood.
I went to Melissa's house to see how things were going with her. Her Edward proposed to her about a month ago. I was going to tell her about my being-a-half-breed thing. When I got to her doorstep, I stopped, frozen stiff.
A sweet, delicious, mouthwatering aroma covered the house from roof to floor. I pushed the smell away from my thoughts, and knocked on the door. The smell was still lingering in my mind.
After about five seconds, Melissa finally opened the door.
"Hey, Sheila!" she greeted, "What's up?"
"I need to tell you something," I whispered, "about our family."
"Oh, I see. Follow me. I have a secret Twilight area out back," she instructed.
I ran around to the backyard, controlling my pace. She was already waiting for me there. She led me into the forest by her house and into a clearing. In a circle around a large tree trunk were small rocks with flat tops. A handmade tablecloth was nailed to the tree trunk. It had the Twilight poster on it. I could smell it from a few yards away, and it was encased in Melissa's scent. Again, I had to try to ignore the sweet, sweet aroma and tell Melissa the truth.
"Have a seat, Sheila," she offered.
I sat as far away from her as possible.
"Melissa," I started, "I…I'm a half-breed. Rose bit me a week ago, but Edward sucked the venom out of me. But he didn't get it all. Carlisle says there was a good chance there was some near my heart. So I've been hunting with Edward and learning the basics of being a vampire." As I stated the facts, the odor became more and more abundant in the air every second.
She stared at me, her face full of shock, excitement, and any other heightened emotion you could name.
She finally whispered, "I see."
There was another long silence. As the temptation grew, my strength keeping me from drinking every last drop of her blood became more and more weak. I mentally called for Edward, knowing I would need help.
As I waited, I decided to read Melissa's mind.
"A half-breed! She is so lucky! Yet, so unlucky. I mean, she could have those…urges…to feed on humans any time now. Oh, dear. What should I say?"
I was still waiting, keeping back my wild, thirsty side. I was so very close to pouncing at her. I looked down trying not to think about it. I noticed my leather wristband Carlisle and Esme gave me on me and Edward's wedding day. I thought about all our family has done to help us. I thought of how they accepted me so easily. I thought about how much they love me.
Thinking about them gave me enough strength to last a little bit longer. I looked around, wondering what was taking Edward so long. I called for him again, and waited. Still, he didn't come. I couldn't last much longer, and I couldn't run away in time to get away from her.
Suddenly, I lost control. I growled my first real growl. It was deep, guttural, and horrifying. Melissa jumped off her seat, away from me, and gasped. I leaped onto the large table, still snarling, and crouched. Her face was terrified. It made my prey even more mouthwatering. I bared my teeth at her, making her even more petrified.
I pounced at her, aiming for her heart. I realized what I was doing, but my thirst came over me and it was too strong to stop. I was going to hate myself for what I was going to do. As soon as it was all over, I would write a letter to my mother, telling her I ran away because Melissa was dead. I would go far away. Maybe to Alaska. It sounded like there were only a few people there.
When I was a foot away from my only trusting friend, something struck me from the side. It grabbed my neck with its bare hands. I looked at it, thankful that it stopped me from my wrong-doing, although I was still growling, now in anger that I didn't catch my victim. I fought with it, both of us tumbling down a hill. It was careful not to strike me, but only strangle me lightly and keep itself safe from my attacks.
We finally came to a stop at the bottom of the hill.
"Sheila! Stop it!" Edward demanded.
I just growled in anger and snapped at him.
"Control yourself! I know you can! Don't think about the thirst or the blood! Think of your family, your friends, your home!" Then, he whispered in my ear, "Think of me."
I harnessed all of my strength and tried to pull away the wild, human-killing side of me. My snarl quieted, my anger dissolved, and my face softened. I was still wild, but it was very little that I could push it away.
"Calm?"
"I think so."
He sighed in relief, "Good."
"I am so sorry, Edward. I lost control of myself, and Melissa…" I paused, the delightful scent coming into mind again, "Melissa's blood smelled so sweet. I was calling you in my mind, but you didn't come. Why?"
"I was in Colorado, remember?"
It suddenly came back to me that Edward went to Colorado to help find someone Alice believed was a sibling of hers.
"Alice saw you attacking your friend, so I raced back here as fast as I could. I guess I made it just in time."
"Sorry," I apologized again.
"It's okay, I guess. You are a newborn, after all," he laughed. "You’ll get used to it."
I heard Melissa running down the hill. I got up and brushed myself off, composing the…predator within me as she came closer.
"Sheila! Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. I guess the wild side of me came loose. Edward pushed me out of the way just in time though," I explained, her face still petrified. "I'm controlled now, Melissa. I'm safe."
With a very fearful step, she walked towards me. It took her a whole minute to get to me. When she was standing next to me, she sighed in relief.
"I didn't mean to scare and almost kill you back there."
"It's okay. You're a newborn. I'll get used to it," she joked.
We walked back up the hill and back to her house. She asked me some questions about being a half-breed, some very hard to answer. After a while, I went home. I was careful around humans, especially Melissa, from that day on.

10. Forbidden Love

It's been about a month, and I am used to the scent of human blood. Melissa still takes precautions every once in a while, but she trusts me.
Edward has been helping me get over the urge to feed on humans. I've still been hunting regularly to control that urge.
One day, Alice saw a terrible vision.
"The Volturi are coming for you and Edward, Sheila!"
"What?!" I exclaimed, "Why? What did we do?"
"I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out why they're mad at you two."
"They're mad at us?!"
She just nodded. A horrified look crossed my face.
"When are they coming?" I questioned anxiously.
"Sometime next week. Be prepared incase they come earlier," she warned me.
I nodded and ran back to my little house to warn Edward when he came back from hunting.
As I waited, I couldn't help but pace back and forth across the room. What did we do? Why are they mad at us? What are they going to do to us? When will they be here? The questions circled my mind over and over again.
Finally, he came home. I ran into him, not stopping in time. He caught me in his arms.
"Whoa, there!" he laughed, "What's the rush?"
“The Volturi! Coming here! Something about us! They're mad!" I stuttered, my words barely understandable.
"Calm down, calm down! I can't understand you!" he soothed me, "Now, what is it about the Volturi?"
I took a deep breath. "Alice had a vision that the Volturi were coming here. She said that they would be here sometime next week, maybe earlier. They're mad at us, Edward!"
"Oh dear," he sighed. He thought long and hard. So did I.
"Well," he sighed, "We will just have to be on our guard until they come."
I nodded as he hugged me close.

It's been a week, and with every passing day, I become more and more worried that something bad is going to happen to me and Edward.
Then, a week after Alice warned us, they came. Aro, Caius, Marcus, Alec, Felix, and Demetri. We met them in the forest in a clearing. Alice saw them there and gathered the rest of the family.
"Good afternoon, Carlisle," Aro greeted, "It's good to see you again, and your children."
"What did Edward and Sheila do wrong, Aro?" Carlisle asked, thankfully getting to the point.
"Well, since you asked," Aro replied slyly, "We do not want your boy there to be with…I'm sorry. What's your name again, young lady?"
"Sheila," I answered, trying to sound brave.
"Yes, Sheila. We don't want your son to be with her."
"Well, why not?" I asked, my face becoming a little cross. I took a step towards them.
"Sheila," Edward whispered as he grabbed my shoulder.
"Edward was married to Isabella first, so it's only right if he was with her."
A quiet snarl slipped out of my mouth. Aro laughed at my anger.
"Sheila," Edward warned me again, "Stay calm."
"I see that you really have feelings for Mr. Edward here," stated Aro.
"Yes," I confirmed, "Yes, I do."
He laughed quietly.
"Demetri, Caius. Get Mr. Edward. The rest of you, get the others. I'll get the girl."
Everything then happened in a flash. Demetri and Caius grabbed Edward, and the rest of the Volturi went for the others. Aro slowly walked towards me. I was frozen with fear and anger. I looked over at Edward, fighting the two to get away. I looked at the rest of my family, and they were all fighting. Fighting for me and Edward.
Aro then stopped a few feet away from me. I crouched and snarled at him, but without even crouching first, he leaped at me.
All of a sudden, I was pinned down and being choked. I tried to get up, but Aro was too strong. I started losing consciousness. Everything was fading to black, I was losing my hearing, and my eyes were closing involuntarily.
"Wicked, wicked Aro," I whispered.
I heard him laugh a fiendish laugh.
My life was over. I was only fifteen, and my life was already over. I was saying goodbye to my friends, my family, and my Edward. I couldn't bear to think what he would do without me.
Memories were flashing through my mind now. The time me and Edward watched the stars. When I shared the tale of my father's death. The night he kept me warm in his arms. When he saved me from the mountain lions. When he rescued me from being a complete vampire. The night of our first kiss. The first time I ever hunted with him. When we used to race each other home. Our wedding.
Tears started rolling down my cheeks.
All of a sudden, I barely heard someone roar, "No!"
Aro's weight suddenly disappeared. I was able to breathe again. I gasped as I opened my eyes and sat up. I looked in the direction of where I heard someone growl, "Don't you ever touch her again!"
It was Edward. He leaped at Aro and shoved him off me. I looked for Caius and Demetri, but they were nowhere in sight. I looked back at Edward and Aro to find out that they were fighting Edward, too.
I gasped, "No! Edward!" I stood up and ran as fast as I could. I leaped a few feet away, aiming for Demetri. I tackled and hit him hard. I could feel my eyes glowing red with anger. Although I was attacking him, Demetri was beating me down. My only way to defeat him was to bite him. So, I clamped my teeth hard into his upper arm. He howled in pain as I jumped off.
I looked toward Edward's quarrel again. He was getting weaker and weaker. I pounced at Caius, and bit him, too. This time, in the neck. Then I went for Aro. I struggled to bite him in the neck, but he was attacking me too quickly to get a hold of him.
Then, he strongly hit me across the face. I tumbled to his side. I lay there, so weak that I could barely move. I looked over at Edward, lying helpless and lifeless. Tears began to form in my eyes again.
Aro walked to my side and kneeled down. He grabbed my chin and whispered, "This is the end of the line for you, Sheila."
My anger flared uncontrollably. The anger gave me strength. I snarled darkly, "I don't think so."
I quickly bit him in the neck as hard as I could. He yowled in agony as I bit harder.
I finally shoved him off and let him lie. I walked over to Edward's side.
"Edward?" I whispered, "Are you okay?"
No answer. I turned him to face me. I lightly caressed his face, tears sliding down my cheeks.
"Edward, wake up!" I whimpered.
Still no answer.
I cried, knowing that he was gone. I lost someone else I loved so much. I had to go through it all over again. The pain, the crying, the heartbreak, all of it.
So, I quietly whispered in his ear, "Goodbye, Edward. I love you."
I lightly kissed his forehead and got up and walked away. I was going to help the others. Tears rolled down my cheeks like waterfalls.
All of a sudden, someone grabbed my ankle. Anger flared through me again, knowing it was Aro. A snarl ripped through my throat. Aro was going to pay for killing Edward.
I spun around and growled a deep growl. My teeth were bared, my face was furious, and my fists were balled up. Then I stopped growling. A smile began to form on my face. Tears were rolling down my cheeks again. It wasn't Aro. It was a fallen angel that came down from heaven. An angel that was going to make me feel better. An angel that would always be there when I needed a shoulder to cry on. An angel that would always love me.
"I'm sorry I left you, Sheila."
"Oh, Edward!" I sobbed.
He sat up as I hugged him tightly.
"Ow," he whispered. Apparently, I hugged him too tightly.
"Sorry. Are you hurt?"
"Just a few bruises and scars. Nothing major."
I hugged him again, only lighter this time.
"I am so sorry I left you. Aro, Caius, and Demetri were too much for me to handle."
"It's okay. I forgive you. I know you didn't want to leave me in the first place."
He chuckled weakly. "I'm just surprised how you took all three of them in one leap! What did you do?"
"Well, I just pounced at them, and bit them. Although Aro was a bit of a challenge."
We laughed as our family was finishing up their fights. Carlisle came over as soon as he could.
"Are you two alright?" he asked calmly, with worry hiding behind it.
I knew I was fine, but I looked at Edward making sure he was okay.
"Yes, Carlisle. We're fine. Nothing more than some scars and bruises," he answered.
"Alright, then. I think you two should rest for a while," Carlisle instructed.
I looked over his shoulder, where the rest of our family was still fighting.
"But what about…"
"Don't worry about it," Carlisle comforted me, "We have this under control. You just go home and get some rest."
I helped Edward up and we went home. I went home to my mother, and went to bed, telling her that I was tuckered out from running. Edward laid by my side.
We showed our point that nobody could separate us. Not even the Volturi.

11. Fading

It's been a few weeks now, and the Volturi are staying away from us. They now know not to try and divide me and Edward anymore. Hopefully, we won't have anymore problems from them.
Me and Edward were chatting in our house, when all of a sudden, he disappeared.
"Edward?" I asked playfully, "Where are you?"
No response.
"Edward, quit hiding," I said, a little worried now.
Still no response.
I looked around the house and outside. I couldn't find him anywhere. I called for him, but he never came or made a sound.
I went back in, and there he was, standing in the middle of the room, his face puzzled.
"There you are!" I sighed, "Where did you go?"
"What are you talking about?" he asked, still confused, "I was in here the whole time."
Then, he started to fade away.
"Edward, quit fading," sighed.
"I'm not."
"Then what's going on?"
"I don't know what…" his voice faded along with him.
"Edward, I can't hear you or see you. You…You faded away from me!" I gasped.
I waited a moment, and he finally faded back.
"…can't be happening! Oh, Sheila! Can't you see or hear me yet?!"
"Yes, now I can," I whispered.
"I'm going to call Carlisle. He'll probably know what's going on."
He grabbed his cell phone and, faster than light, dialed his number.
I couldn't understand him. He was talking too fast. All I could pick out were the words, "help," "fading," and "quickly."
After probably about thirty seconds, he hung up.
"He said he won't be here until tomorrow morning. We'll just have to wait until then."
I nodded. I was really getting anxious. I had that feeling that something was going to happen to us…again.

The next morning, it was pouring outside. Carlisle came and looked at me. He said that nothing was wrong with me or Edward. He asked us some questions, trying to find out more.
Finally, he came to a conclusion.
"Sheila," he said solemnly, "I don't know how to tell you this."
I stared at him, getting ready for bad news.
"We are fading away from your mind, and one of these days, in the next week I predict, we are going to fade away…for good."
I was frozen in dismay and sorrow. I couldn't do anything.
After a while, I got up, my face still expressionless, and walked outside. Neither of them followed me out. I went into the backyard, getting soaked in the rain. Tears were threatening to burst any minute. I collapsed on my knees and buried my face in my hands and cried.
I heard Edward run out the door.
"Sheila?" he called, looking for me.
I heard him run into the backyard and gasp.
"Sheila!"
He saw me, on my knees, crying. He ran up behind me. I heard Carlisle walk up behind us.
"Oh, Edward. You're going to disappear from my life! I can't live without you! What am I going to do?!"
"I don't know, Sheila," he whimpered, "I don't know what I'm going to do without you, either."
"I don't want to lose someone I love again! I don't want to go through all the pain, the heartbreak, the sorrows, or the crying again!"
He hugged me close to him. I sobbed into his shoulder.
"I love you, Edward. Forever and ever. For all of eternity," I sobbed.
"I love you, too, Sheila. For the rest of my immortal life," he whispered in my ear.
Carlisle stood behind us, not saying a word. We all knew that any time that me and Edward had left were going to be precious memories. The memories that flashed through my mind when I was about to die were coming again, right in front of my eyes.

A few days have past. Me and Edward have been spending as much time as possible together. Every moment that we had left, I treasured. When ever Edward went to hunt, I would cry, always thinking that he wouldn't come back. Every time he came back, he would find me, crying, in my chair. He would cradle me in his arms and soothe me, cooing, "Its okay. I'm here. I'm not going yet. I'm still here."
One day, he finally faded away. He was soothing me again, for he just came back from hunting. Then, he started to fade.
"Edward," I whimpered, "You're fading."
He sighed and set me down in his chair.
"Goodbye, Sheila."
I was confused. "What do you mean, 'Goodbye'?"
He just stared at me, his face miserable and depressed.
"No!" I cried, "Not yet, Edward! Don't leave me!"
"I'm so sorry, Sheila," he whimpered. It looked like he was crying, only without tears.
"Edward," I whispered.
"I love you, Sheila. I will always love you for the rest of my eternal and immortal life."
"I love you, too, Edward. With all my heart, with all my soul, and with all my life."
He took my hand and rested it on his cheek.
"I'm going to miss your warmth," he whispered.
"And I'm going to miss your kindness," I whispered back.
"Goodbye, Sheila," he whispered as his voice faded.
"Goodbye, Edward."
"Keep me in your heart!" he shouted.
"I will! Always!"
And he was gone.
I started to cry again, knowing that he was never going to come back ever again. I would never see him smile another smile, sing another song, hang out another night, or dance another dance ever again. Never.

12. 4th of July

It's been about a month and a half since Edward faded away. I try not to think of him because it brings back the memories, but I can't help it.
It's July third, the day before the Fourth of July. I was going to watch the fireworks, but I've been crying so much, I decided to stay home.
A few days ago, I thought I saw Edward. I ran to him, but when I got there, it wasn't him. It wasn't even anything. I went to our little house crying, carrying any pictures I could find of him. I hung them on the wall, next to my father. I sat in the chair Edward always sat in, and cried.
"Come on, Sheila!" Tanya pleaded as she called me a few hours later, "Come to the fireworks with me! It'll be fun!"
I sighed, "Sorry, Tanya. I can't go this year. I'm grounded."
"Sheila! What did you do?"
"I broke my mom's favorite chair," I lied.
"Way to go," Tanya laughed.
"Yeah," I sighed again, "I have to go. Don't call me for a few days either."
"Alright. Bye, Sheila. Sorry you couldn't come."
"Thanks. Bye."
I hung up the phone and slowly walked outside. I could see the fireworks from my house, but they weren't as fun to watch. I looked up at the starry night, something that usually made me happy. I sighed as I looked behind me into the vast backyard. I smiled as I mentally saw me and Edward racing back home. I turned back to the driveway and checked my watch. 8:50 p.m. ten more minutes until the show started. I went back inside and shut off all the lights and told my mother that I was going outside for the fireworks.
As I walked outside, a feeling of protection and love washed over me. I felt like I was being watched. I looked around me, but I couldn't see much. I was wary as I jumped onto the trunk of our car. I looked at my watch again. 8:55 p.m. Only five more minutes. As I waited, I couldn't shake off the feeling that something or someone was nearby. I told myself to quit being silly and wait.
Then, I heard something move. I thought it was just the wind, but there wasn't even a slight breeze. I started to get a little scared again. "Who or what ever is out there, knock it off!" I yelled. The thing moved again, this time it was closer to me. I closed my eyes and tried to block out the noises, but it didn't work.
It was so close now, I could hear it breathing. I tried to growl, but all the came out was a little squeak. It laughed. From the direction of noise, I could tell it was right next to the car now. I looked in its direction to see a dark figure staring at me.
"Wh-Who are you?" I stuttered.
"Oh, very nice, Sheila," groaned the mysterious figure, "You can't even remember your own husband!"
I gasped as I looked closer at the figure.
"Edward!"
He smiled as I hugged him very tightly. I started to cry.
"Oh, Edward! I'm so glad you're back! I thought you would never come back!”
“It’s alright, it’s alright,” he whispered. He lightly kissed my hair.
He cradled me in his arms and rocked me slowly. I buried my face in his chest and cried with tears of joy.
He walked and sat on the trunk of the car as he whispered, “Why are you crying? I’m right here.”
“I’m crying because you’re back. These are not tears of sorrow. These are tears of happiness,” I whimpered as I looked up at his face. He smiled at me lightly as he hugged me closer.
After a minute or two, Edward set me down next to him. He wrapped his arm around me as I checked my watch. 8:59 p.m. The fireworks were going to start any second. I looked at Edward as he looked at me. He rested his hand on my cheek.
“How I’ve missed your warmth,” he sighed.
“How I’ve missed your kindness,” I replied.
He leaned towards me very slowly. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer. Again, the jolts of electricity were buzzing through my body like crazy. Finally, his lips pressed against mine as the electricity exploded in my body. Coincidently, the fireworks went off at the same time, but I hardly noticed.
As he pulled away, Edward chuckled, “It’s good to be home.”
I smiled as I pulled him in for another kiss. This was the best Fourth of July ever.

Reviews: 2
Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:45 am
sammay says...

I like it but it's kinda confusing.
People think I'm quiet those who know me wish I was.

I <3 to write.

- Sammay :D

The human heart has hidden treasures, in secret kept, in silence sealed...
— Charlotte Bronte