z

Young Writers Society

Westrion's Rider(04)

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:48 pm
Night Mistress says...

The message got to Captain Laren Mapstone a couple moments later. When Laren opened and read the note, she dropped it into shock.

“Oh, gods,” she whispered as she put a hand over her eyes. How will I tell Stevic that his only child is gone, dead to the world? She thought. She decided that she would take care of this personally. She summoned a green foot, wrote a quick note, and handed it to the little boy.

“Take this note to the king,” she said.

“Aye ma’am,” the boy said before he took off. Lauren packed her saddle bags, and then headed towards the stable. She told one of the stable hands that when Mara came back, she would be in charge. She saddled her horse, Bluebird, and then started out for the road. As Laren started down the road, she knew she should have waited until the king was free that she was leaving right away, but…she just couldn’t leave Stevic hanging in the balance if something was said to him.

The green foot arrived at the door to the king’s study.

“I carry a message from Captain Mapstone,” he told the guards at the door. The Weapons let the boy pass. With a low bow he passed the letter to the king who promptly thanked and dismissed the boy.

Zachary opened the letter and read.

“So, what does it say?” Lord Coutre asked. Zachary looked at the man. Ever since he had agreed to marry Lady Estora, the man was always on his heels.

“Mapstone has gone to tell Master G’ladheon that his daughter has gone into Westrion’s keeping,” he said as he dropped the letter on his desk.

“How long will the grieving go on?” Lord Courte asked impatiently.

“Until she is buried with the great heroes of the past. Why do you need to know?” Zachary asked, wondering where this conversation was going.

“You know I am ill, and I feel like I don’t have much time left. I would like to see my eldest marry before I die,” Lord Coutre started.

“Are you saying that I should hurry up the service for mine and Estora’s wedding?” Zachary asked, enraged at the very idea.

“Well, yes. I mean after all, she was just a common messenger,” Lord Coutre said. Zachary stood abruptly and banged his hands on the desk.

“Don’t ever say that! You should remember that Karigan saved Estora’s life. I suggest you leave my study now,” he said cooly as he pointed to the door.

Lord Coutre stood. “Just remember, you need my political support. If you choose to push my daughter aside, you will pay,” he threatened and left. Zachary sat back down. Fastion stepped out from the shadows.

“Sire, are you alright?” Fastion asked as he watched his king put his head in his hands.

“Yes, just grieving,” Zachary said. “I miss her so much.”

“We all do, sire. We all do,” Fastion said with a sad smile. He took his post again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon the word spread that Rider Sir Karigan G’ladheon was dead. Her closest friends grieved hard and found their duties difficult. Rider Fegal Duff took it the hardest. The people of Sacoridia grieved and prepared for the funeral.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

it's ok, death by laughter was always how i've wanted to go out
— Carina