z

Young Writers Society

The Chain that Devides: A Death Note Fanfiction (Chapter 2)

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:54 am
quoththeraven says...

Light slumped in his chair, arms crossed. A vague scowl stained his face. It went by unnoticed, however, as the Kira investigation drove swiftly forward like clockwork. Even the boisterous Matsuda had found a way to occupy himself. The only sound was the airy whirring of the fleet of computers against the wall; that, and a soft munching coming from within the gargoyle-like figure of L, who sat on his haunches, spooning cake into the deep cave-like aperture of his mouth.

Light did not bother to take the initiative to act as though he was working. The effort did not seem worth it, today of all days. He stretched his arms towards the ceiling and opened his jaw to usher out a large yarn. As he lifted up his left arm, it was bogged down by an unanticipated weight. The chain-the blasted chain....- binding him to the object of his loathing. Metal upon metal clamored against the floor. The man looked up and gave a modest smile. He slid the cake platter across the lengthy desk towards light.

At first, Light didn't understand the gesture, but then he realized. He forced a warm smile, then shook his head resolutely. "No thanks, Ryuzaki. I'm trying the cut down on my sugar intake. I'm a bit of an insomniac," he laughed.

L peered out from behind a curtain of hair, the bruise-like rings around his eyes highlighted underneath the fluorescent office lights. "I know how that is," he murmured, perhaps more to himself than to anyone else, "You're sure?"

Light watched as L licked crowns of icing from his fingertips. "No thanks. I'm fine." No, I would not like to share your baked goods. You expect me to drop my guard for a cake?!

L allowed an insubstantial shrug, then pierced his fork into the cake once more.

Light tilted back his head and stared at the ceiling.

The chain thudded, pounded, crashed like lightening. Electric yellow light poured from L's hand -no, from his veins- into the cuff around his wrist. It rushed through the chain link after link, until it encased light's wrist; its angry flames made haste to burn straight through Light's limp arm. It surged upwards until it pierced his heart.

Light could no longer contain his horror. He screamed sharp, impassioned screams that echoed from every corner of his mind, growing louder...ever louder. His eyes darted to the chain connecting him to the enemy. Darkness had arrested him. All that Light could see was something more coming his was across the metal bridge that led to his hand. Its movement was fluid, fast.

Before he could conceive what he was seeing, two dagger-sharp fangs had found purchase in the muscle of his neck. He gasped, in seconds desperate for air. Without thinking, he wretched the serpent from his neck, a terrible mist of blood coming with it.

Light's vision began to cloud over. The last thing he saw was the eyes of his killer -his personal Kira. The serpent's eyes gleamed with curiosity, possibly in admiration of its handiwork, waiting for the final result. Its eyes glistened; they were a deep steel. The snake had L's eyes.

Light gasped for breath. Had he died?

Those who use the Death Note will go to neither heaven nor hell....

His throat was dry and grain-like, as though he had swallowed glass. He blinked once, twice; no...this was real. The eyes were there, mere inches from his own. They stared at him curiously. He gave a rasping scream.

Ryuzaki's hands flew to Light's shoulders, pinning him to the computer chair. " Yagami Light, you fell asleep. You were only out for a few minutes. Were you dreaming?"

"Yeah, just a bad dream; a h-horrible dream" He stumbled from his seat, hand clenched against his mouth. L had no choice but to trail behind.

Light lifted his head from within the white porcelain cave, his long bangs matted by his own sick. He didn't care that he had vomited, not exactly. He only cared for his ever desecrated dignity that was being flushed down the drain along with the pureed remnants of his lunch.

Revolting.

He sat upward and leaned against the tiled wall, looking more like a wet kitten than a potential killer. He rubbed his neck... just to make sure.

"Are you okay?" L was leaning in the doorway.

Light jumped. "yes, I'm fine, Ryuzaki. Thanks."

The man drifted across the floor and sank down next to him. "You don't look fine, Yagami Light."

"I'm fine. You know that virus that's been spreading," Light said vaguely.

"No, I don't believe it's that," L said analytically, " I can see it in your eyes."

Light stared at L, finding his eyes entrenched in the other's yet no fear resonated. He looked away, heat rising in his cheeks. "It was only a dream."
I am wrecked. I am over-blown. I'm also fed up with the common code.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:59 pm
deleted1 says...

A much better chapter, while still short it is getting interesting with Lights dreams that haunt him, something we never seen or heard about during the manga. Keep up the good work.

Half the work that is done in this world is to make things appear what they are not.
— Elias Root Beadle