z

Young Writers Society

A New Fanfiction: Final Fantasy 8 (Chapter 18)

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:41 pm
Dynamo says...

Chapter 18:

“Man, I’m hungry. Don’t they ever feed their prisoners?” Eric looked around the prison cell he was in. “I honestly don’t know why I bothered to come here in the first place.”

It had been almost a year since Eric forced the Esthar soldier to take him to his superiors back in Centra. He had wanted to join Esthar to put a stop to the war, instead they threw him in jail to rot. He had spent half a year on an Esthar boat, and the other half in a prison in Esthar itself. Still, it was a nice change from having to fight all the time.

Suddenly, the cell door opened and three Esthar soldiers walked in. Eric stood up. “Well, it’s about time. You guys forgot to feed me, again!”

On of the soldiers punched him in the gut. “Quiet, prisoner!” He motioned to the other two soldiers and said, “Queen Adel wants to speak with this one. We better not keep her waiting.”

The two soldiers each grabbed one of Eric’s arms and dragged him out of the cell.

As they made it to Adel’s palace in the centre of the futuristic city of Esthar the soldiers began to talk to each other. Eric listened. “What do you think she wants with this guy?”

“I don’t know. She’s never spoken to prisoners before. Well, except for the ones she executes.”

“I feel sorry for the guy, then. I hear she tortures her prisoners before she kills them.”

“Well, it’d be a nice change from sleeping in the damp cell night after night.” Eric said.

One of the soldiers hit him in the back. “Quiet!”

As they entered the palace the halls were lined with many guards. In the throne room the sorceress Adel sat in her throne, awaiting her prisoner.

The soldiers dropped Eric in front of her and bowed. She waved her hand, ordering them to step away. She looked at Eric who just stared at her, unafraid.

“Young man, do you not fear me?” She asked.

“Fear you? Give me a break. I’ve seen hundreds of things that are scarier than you.”

One of the soldiers who carried him in punched him in the back. “Show some respect! You are in the presence of the Queen of Esthar!”

“Soldier.”

The soldier looked at Adel. “Yes, my lady?”

“Did I give you permission to attack my prisoner?”

“I- I apologize. I was only trying to-” Adel lifted her hand. A bolt of red electricity sprung out and pierced through the man’s chest. He fell to the ground, motionless.

She turned back to Eric to see him smiling at what she did. “Did you enjoy seeing that?” She asked.

“Well, I didn’t mind watching him suffer after how he treated me.”

“My men tell me you are a soldier from Galbadia’s army. They also tell me that you surrendered yourself willingly. Tell me, why did you choose to be a prisoner of war when you could have stayed with your country?”

“Cause I didn’t want to fight this war anymore. I didn’t think Galbadia was fighting for the right cause. All they were doing was sending people to their deaths.”

“You wish for the suffering to end?”

Eric sighed. “…Yeah.”

She stood up from her throne and approached Eric. “I have brought you here because I sense great power that sleeps within your heart.” She stopped in front of him. “I can awaken that power. You will be stronger than you ever thought possible.”

“And what’s in it for you?” Eric asked.

“Swear your allegiance to me. Become my knight and together we can put an end to all wars. You will be a hero to mankind.”

Eric smiled as he went to his knees. “What ever you ask of me, I will obey, my lady.”

“Then I shall awaken your powers.” She placed a hand on his head. It began to glow with a green and black light. The aura spread across Eric’s body.

Eric stood up once she was finished. He felt a fire burning inside him, a fire that spread throughout his being. It felt… good.

He had an urge to test out his new abilities. He looked at the two men who helped bring him to Adel. He held out his hand and, with his new power, lifted them into the air. They screamed and panicked as Eric tossed them about. The soldiers let out one final scream as Eric closed his hand and crushed their hearts. He released his hold on the men and let them fall.

He turned back to Adel. “What will you have me do, my mistress?”

“There is a village named Winhill on a small continent south of Galbadia. In this village there is a girl named Ellone. Bring her to me.”
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

Half goat, half fish, all goatfish.
— OSP Red