z

Young Writers Society

A New Fanfiction: Final Fantasy 8 (Chapter 17)

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:54 pm
Dynamo says...

(I know, I know. I'm only allowed to post one story a day. But I've been thinking about this fight scene for a while now and I just wanted to get it done. I'll admit, I could have done a better job. Also, I was planning to write this in the previous chapter but I wanted to end chapter 16 with one of those "OMG!" moments, which also explains why it's a lot shorter than some of the previous chapters. It's just a fight scene after all, a very important fight scene.)

Chapter 17:

“You… you look… just like me!” It was as if Tylor was looking into a mirror. The only difference between this man and Tylor was his silver hair and silver eyes.

Xemnas smiled. “You still have so much to learn, Daimon. I really am sorry you won’t get the chance to find out the truth.” His hand began to burn with a dark fire as he lifted it over his head. His body began to levitate high into the air. “Come forth, Diablos! I summon thee!” He pulled his arm back and flung it high. The fire that burned in his hand shot up into the sky until it burst in a splash of purple and black. The fire spread and formed a giant dome around the two of them.

Another horde of bats appeared and gathered to form a shape. This time it wasn’t Xemnas using them to move from one place to another. Instead, it was the creature known as Diablos. The only way to describe what he looked like would be to label him as a devil. Horns, tail, wings, red and black body. Diablos spotted his prey and let out a frightful hiss, Tylor knew right away he was in trouble.

Two black spheres formed in his hands. The spheres rippled like water as they moved. Diablos flung them one-by-one at Tylor. He jumped to avoid being hit by the first one and rolled to get away from the second. He looked around to find some sort of cover but the giant dome had him trapped.

Diablos flew toward Tylor with his claws outstretched. Tylor rolled just in time to avoid getting grabbed by his opponent. Before Diablos could turn around to make a second run Tylor yelled, “Firaga!” and shot a giant ball of fire. The attack hit Diablos in the back of the head and knocked him to the ground.

Tylor looked back at Xemnas, who watched the battle with his arms crossed. Tylor growled and jumped at him. He was about to strike when Diablos appeared in front of him. The monster grabbed him by the arms and tossed him into the ground below. Tylor coughed up blood when he hit the road.

Diablos pinned Tylor to the ground with his foot. “There is nothing you can do.” Xemnas told him. “No one can save you now.” Diablos grabbed Tylor by the neck and threw him again.

Tylor slowly got to his feet, using his sword as support. His chances for survival were very slim. Even if he were to somehow defeat Diablos he would use up too much energy in the process. It would be impossible to defeat Xemnas afterwards. Tylor needed some help, but he was completely cut off from his friends thanks to the dome Xemnas erected. Who was going to help him?

A drop of water landed on Tylor’s cheek. More drops began to fall. Pretty soon it was raining inside the dome. Horse hooves were heard coming from behind. Tylor looked over his shoulder and saw the answer to his prayers. Odin.

Odin wore white armour and a helmet with large horns. He rode a white horse with six legs. Tylor stepped aside when he approached, giving him some room. Odin stared at Diablos before retrieving his axe-like sword from its sheath. With one swift leap the Odin and his horse charged at Diablos. He slashed at his opponent’s body and stopped once he was on the other side. Diablos’ body split down the centre before he disappeared in a whiff of smoke. Once Diablos was finished the dome disappeared. With his job done, Odin rode off into the distance.

Xemnas smiled. “Well, it seems you still have some tricks up your sleaves.” He slowly levitated back to the ground and held out his arms. Two black katanas appeared in each of his hands in a puff of black smoke. “But they will do you little good now.”

Xemnas moved so quickly that he appeared as just a fuzzy black image. Tylor blocked the attack. Before his opponent had a chance to step back he grabbed Armageddon and pulled it out of its strap. Xemnas disappeared in a cloud of bats before Tylor could hit him. He reappeared behind him. Tylor turned around just in time to parry his attack.

They kept fighting, throwing attack after attack. After each strike Tylor felt weaker, like his energy was slowly draining from his body. The fight was starting to take its toll, and it showed in his movements.

“You’re slipping, Daimon.” Xemnas told him as he parried another attack. “You can’t expect to defeat me like this.”

“Shut up!” Tylor threw another attack out of rage. Xemnas blocked the attack with such force that it caused Tylor to turn his back. Xemnas took the opportunity to cut a large gash down the back of his body. He cried out in pain as he was brought to his knees.

“Pity. I was so looking forward to fighting you, yet you cannot give me a challenge.”

Tylor looked down the street at the gateway and saw Squall, Irvine and Rinoa fighting the sorceress. Everyone was doing the best they could, and Tylor was supposed to be the one leading them. He couldn’t let this guy beat him; everyone was counting on him to pull through. He knew this mission would be a failure, but he couldn’t just give up like this.

A sudden burst of power came forth from the back of his mind. It was the same as when he first experienced it Dollet. His eyes lit up with heavenly light as the silver wings appeared on his back. He slowly stood up and faced Xemnas.

“Daimon the Angel.” Xemnas stated. “It looks like you still have some fight left in you. Let’s make this last strike interesting.” Suddenly, his eyes lit up with dark purple fire as two black devil wings appeared on his back.

Tylor readied himself for the Demon Killer, his finishing strike. Xemnas mirrored his movements. They stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity, waiting for the other to make the first move. Suddenly they attacked, and in a flash of light it was all over.

Both Tylor and Xemnas stood behind each other with their swords out. Xemnas smiled as Tylor panted from exhaustion. The light flowling from their eyes slowly faded and their wings disappeared.

Xemnas’ katanas suddenly snapped in two and disappeared in a wisp of smoke. “I have to admit, you were impressive. But it wasn’t enough.”

Tylor cried out as thousands of cuts opened all over his body. He dropped his swords and fell on his stomach. He was defeated. He failed.

“Do not worry, your friends will join you soon.”

Tylor still had some strength left. He used it to lift himself to see his friends fighting the sorceress. Edea lifted her hand and created large spikes of ice out of thin air. Tylor knew what was going to happen next. He didn’t care about dying. All he wanted to do was to help his friends.

He quickly pointed his hand at Xemnas and took him by surprise. “Blind!” A black cloud appeared around his face. Tylor kicked him in the knee, causing him to fall. He quickly got to his feet and started running. The pain he felt all over his body was excruciating, but he ignored it in order to help his friends. He shouted, “Haste!” and his body flashed with a dark golden light. He turned into a blur of light as he raced to the gateway.

Sorceress Edea flicked her wrist and the spikes of ice shot like rockets at Squall and the others. Tylor jumped in front of Squall and saved him from being skewered.

He landed on the float with a thud. Quistis, Zell and Selphie had arrived just in time to see Tylor’s act of heroism. Everyone huddled around to try and save him.

Squall: “Tylor!”
Rinoa: “Don’t move, you’ll be OK!”
Quistis: “You need to stay awake!”
Irvine: “You can’t leave us hanging now!”
Zell: “Come on, man! Get up!”
Selphie: “You can’t die!”

Hundreds of Galbadian soldiers began to surround the float. Tylor began to fade out of consciousness. The last thing he saw before the darkness took him was Quistis. He smiled. “Heh… told ya…”
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher