z

Young Writers Society

Sparrow and Spaghetti: Chapter 5 part 2

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:35 am
purpleandblue22 says...

Spoiler! :
Sorry for the extremely short post here, but this is just how the chapter broke up, and if you have been reading my other chapters, I think you would I figured out that I hate posting long chapters at once.

Anyway, read, comment, enjoy! :D

I shoot straight out of bed feeling like I just fell into a sauna. My breath slips out in ragged bursts and I hung my knees to my chest. I didn’t think I would ever have that dream again. It’s been almost two years. To be honest, I’m more ashamed of it than anything. I’ve changed a lot since then, or at least I would like to think so. Maybe I haven’t, maybe I’m just that good at imagining things.

I look over at the clock; 10:22 am. Oh my gosh I’m late! I literally tumble out of bed and crash land on my floor. I was supposed to meet them at the park twenty minutes ago. I rush towards my drawer to grab an outfit, only to find I’m still wearing the one from yesterday. Wait what happened?

My eyes widen as I remember and I scramble towards the door without really thinking. Is she alive? I mean, if I got the same stuff she did then it should all work out, right? I yank the door open and tumble into the hall.

“Beth!” I scream.

What if they kept her in that underground place? What if they really did give us different stuff? Is she actually, well, dead?

I stop thinking right there. I just found her, I’m not about to lose her.

“Beth!” I scream again.

If she is here, and she better be, where on earth would they even keep her? Wait, stop, breathe. Emma, you have to calm down. I reach out and grasp the banister overlooking the first floor. If Beth is here, they would keep her unconscious. It’s a weekday so Mom and Dad are at work.

My arms shake slightly and my eyes begin to water. If she is anywhere, it would be in the guest room. I try to calm my breathing before I move, but I just can’t do it. Move Emma, come on, left, right, left, right, left, right.

I stand here, just clutching the smooth wood for a moment before I regain control of my limbs. My feet find their way under my body and lift me from the ground. I feel like a ghost. I can see my legs walking and my body moving, but I’m not here.

Old photographs line the beige walls. Me as an infant; first day of kindergarten; our beach vacation; Mom and Dad’s wedding; all our biggest moments are lined up smiling in a row. This will never make it up there. Does that make us a lie? If we only acknowledge the happy moments, what does that really make us?

The door to her room is shut tight. What if she’s not in here? I grasp the handle firmly and try one last time to breathe. Nothing. Emma, this is insane. Why on earth are you freaking out? Beth is going to be in there, she is going to be alive, and she is going to be fine. When you walk in there, you guys will have one big happy reunion, and then you will make chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast with some orange juice on the side.

I squeak the door open just a little bit before I stop. Just through the crack I can see the base of the bed. Feet. Feet! I don’t even think about it. I plow though the door and race towards the bed

Dear Lord, what happened?
"When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often suprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:06 pm
View Likes
bexy89 says...

Hey,

I've not read any of your other stuff as of yet but I really liked the way this was written. It was clear and had a definite air of suspense about it and it did intrigue me enough to want to know what happened next. The only thing I found fault with is this:

Wait what happened?
You're just missing a comma after 'wait.' Sorry to be nit-picky, I'm very thorough when it comes to spelling/grammar/punctuation mistakes, I'm like a magpie for them!

Other than that I enjoyed it although it was too short! I'll just have to look at your other stuff now :)

Becki
"I'll be writing until I can't write anymore. It's a compulsion with me. I love writing." J.K.Rowling

My Website: www.beckitedford.com

Why is my dog your fig father????
— JazzElectrobass