z

Young Writers Society

Year of 2200: Ch1

Reviews: 0
Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:49 pm
Berserkbw says...

"Take what you can, and leave nothing important behind. This is probably one of our last stops before we can restock on our way to the city."

He picked up multiple loaves of bread off the shelf, and then tossed them at the other four of us. Two of them hit me in the chest, and I had to drop my soot covered bag and crowbar to catch them. The plastic wrapping made a crinkling noise as my hands clenched them, and hit my chest.

"Now go get what you need, and meet at the store entrance in ten minutes." Tony said it as he put two loaves into his own bag, and swung it over his shoulder.

I nodded, and reached for my bag, putting my own bread into it. I picked up the bag and crowbar, then turned to walk down the aisle, heading for the drinks. The market was nearly empty, because groups had been here before us, taking what they needed. I turned left, then left again, to where the drinks are. Everyone else with me must have had the same idea, because they were shoving water bottles into their bags. Grant saw me coming, then grabbed an arm full of bottles, then started tossing me them one by one. I held out the bag, opened it, and let them fall into it.

I said thanks, then turned around to look for some other stuff. Not much to see. Mostly shaving cream and toilet paper, and other stuff like that, not worthy of lugging around to survive off of. I came to the pharmacist aisle, and something caught my eye; pills, and lots of them.

"Hey guys, we got some pills over here!" I yelled out, surprised there were even any left. I started scooping pain pill bottles into my bag, then tossed the rest to the others who came by.

I continued looking through the store, nothing much, really. I took a few kitchen knifes, though. Slipped them into my belt. Never know who's gonna pop out of a dark alley. That's why we stay in groups.

Most people are in groups so they can live their precious lives. Human's aren't that common anymore. But even when we come across the rare other group, there's usually, blood. And not just a couple drops. Most everyone fights for what the other group has, just to survive, instead of working together. It annoys me, but I don't know about everyone else. I am obviously in a group, or I'd probably be dead. Or worse, if there is one.

In the group with me were Grant, Tony, Maria, and Leroy. Grant is the all out fighter, he'll do anything to live, but he specializes in killing. He's bald, so he looks naturally tough, I guess. Tony leads us, if I were to say his role to us. I think he's cool, he doesn't particularly like to kill, but will if he has to. Maria is the only girl, and she was taught how to nurse by her mother, so she is handy at times. But Leroy, he's just there, I guess. He does a bit of everything. Wanders, scouts, kills, and he knows how to survive. But there's not a single word to sum him up.

And to make things clear, I'm Ben. I'm 17, and would be in high school, but I have learned everything from life. We've had to learn stuff the hard way, especially after the war. World War 3, they called it, but I'm no expert.

I do know they called it a nuclear war.

Meet me in Montauk.
— Charlie Kaufman