z

Young Writers Society

The Diamond Fist: Chapter 3

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:38 pm
Blues says...

Hi all!
Writer's block has gone away! FINALLY! :D I'm so happy. Although I think it's probably rubbish but hey, I actually, finally wrote something.

Anyway, this is chapter two. Under the spoiler is a spoiler of the previous events in the last chapters...I tried to add a little bit of Lauren's accent into this so where it's supposed to be 'was' further down, I changed it to 'weren't'. Tell me what you think and please feel free to shred this piece of literary rubbish into pieces!
Thanks,
Mac

Contains language unsuitable for 6 year olds to see.

Spoiler! :
OK, this is NOT an Author's note but it's a spoiler. DON'T read on if you don't want to.
In the Prologue, Liam and his diving friends had a small party on a small cliff. Foolishly, Liam blurted out something to do with cliff-jumping which meant most people did jump off the cliff and disappeared.
In chapter 1, he was feeling really guilty (basically, among other stuff).
In Chapter two, we realised that Non-other than the ex-Egyptian President (not the real ex-president who got kicked out in Feb '11) was in Sharm El Sheikh after being removed from power. He was in a bunker/cave thing in the cliff when the divers discovered it and kidnapped them. Then, he thought of a horrifying plan, with the details yet to be released... ;)

Chapter Three

Liam Hunt

Was there no end to my alarm clocks constant buzzing? Seriously, it just kept ringing and ringing and ringing. What was the point of them anyway? Waking you up so that you know you’ve got a torture chamber school to go to?

7:58 AM
14-FEB-2011

My eyes flickered open again, after waking up abruptly from a strange dream–I was going to a gallery with my Art teacher. Weird.

I considered staying home that day, until I realised what the day was and why I had set my alarm early.
Valentine’s day... CRAP!

I dashed to the bathroom for a quick shower and brushing my teeth. I leapt out of the bathroom but I slipped on the white carpet, flooring me.

"For God’s sake!"

I stood up again and flung open the door, and ran to the bedroom again. I put on my uniform: a light blue polo shirt and some beige combat trousers. I then grabbed my bag before pelting out of the house.
I could tell that the weather would be nice that day. The weather was always nice actually, except for the freak storm you’d get once a year. Apart from that, it was nice. That day was no exception–the clear sky was a cerulean blue, the sun’s rays almost blinding and reflecting on the sand that drifted onto the road, shimmering.

Stopping to look at the scenery–what scenery? It’s all sand–around me made me even later than I was.
I growled. Like this, I would never get there on time.

I arrived late to school, interrupting Arabic. Thankfully, sir didn’t say anything, but even so, I still couldn’t ask her.

A few minutes later, we began our spelling test. We usually had one every Tuesday, but sir announced after Christmas that we’d have to spell the words without knowing what they were beforehand, to my dismay. Why? Seriously...

I was terrible at spelling in Arabic. Who could tell the difference between ح and ه ? Sometimes, Omar’s kind enough and flicks a scrunched up piece of paper with all the letters that had the same sound but had something to do with emphasis. James sniggers every time we do the test, glancing at the frustration written on my face while I’m trying to work out how to spell a word. It doesn’t help that James is fluent in Arabic. His parents gave him special Arabic classes before he moved here. He’s been in Sharm for ages.

“Spell camel,” our teacher said, in Arabic. Easy words first, hard ones later. “Spell plane.” Second word in and already we had a word that would confuse me.

Just before sir was about to tell us the third word when James shouted, “Give us hard words–these are for babies.”

James was dead.

“I was doing the easy ones for Liam,” he replied, smiling.

Everyone in the room’s eyes darted to me. I felt my hollow cheeks go a fiery red, so I put my head down, where my face couldn’t be seen. I doodled on the corner of the sheet, as if I wasn’t concentrating.

“But fair enough. I will do harder spelling.”

Nice practical joke, James.

Halfway through the test, I felt something hit my ear. I found a note, from Omar, with another tip. I smiled. It was nice to know that there was someone who was willing to help. That didn’t stop me from failing the test–again. To my dismay, there was a much more important test in two weeks. I knew what my result would be.

It was lunch and I went out searching for Lauren, having been unable to speak to her. She was with her friends. Her giggling friends. Her loud, giggling friends. It seemed like there were more than normal, because even Jasmin was there. Lauren didn’t exactly like her. It might’ve not have been completely obvious...

Their presence around Lauren made me extremely nervous. If I spoke to Lauren, the topic would be spread like a wildfire. But if I didn’t...

Huh. Least I wasn’t asking someone like Jasmin to come with me. A “bitch” as James described her.
I found her sitting at the front, on the grass, picking off the petals of one of the roses that lined the garden. She’s... pretty. I smiled to myself, as I walked closer to her. Understatement. I grinned.
She still didn’t notice me. I slowly sat next to her, my greeting only alerting her of my presence. She seemed a little surprised but happy all the same. “Hey.”

“It’s Valentine’s day today,” I said, a few minutes later
“Really?” replied Lauren, in a sarcastic tone. Her eyes were still on the petals she was playing with. I smiled.

This is it. “L-Lauren,” I began, my gaze set on the grass. “D’you–do you want to–” I stopped, feeling my cheeks go ablaze for the second time that day. You’re a fail. “Would you like to go cinema with me tonight?”

Lauren stopped playing with the flower and from the corner of my eye, I could see her facing me. “What?”

“Would you like to go the cinema with me tomorrow?” I repeated. I turned to her, holding my breath.

“You’re asking me?”

No, I’m obviously asking my pet rock.

I nodded.

“I’d love to,” she beamed.

I breathed out again.

“But can we do it tonight? Tomorrow’s Tuesday, beach day.”

Oh yeah... Beach day was held every week. Our class would all go to the beach after school and have some sort of party. I usually didn’t bother going. “Alright... Freckles.”

I met Lauren at the cinema, slightly late after being told off by Mum for leaving the bathroom looking like a warzone, being forced to clean it up and getting grounded. Not like she’s ever in the house anyway ‘cause all she seemed to be doing was working. Trust her to do something like that.

“Sorry I’m late–Mum was being a pain,” I said after greeting her. My mouth was uncomfortably dry but I tried to ignore it.

“It’s fine,” she replied, beaming. We walked to the cinema through the square in front of the cinema was large and busy. The sweet smell of hookah filled the air, accompanied by words of conversation wafting with it.

Entering inside, we were welcomed by the smell of popcorn. “Er, right, which film shall we watch?"

“Umm... what’s this one?” she asked, pointing at a name of a film on the wall mounted screen behind the cashier.

“Can we watch another one? I’m not... really... into blood and guts.”

I looked down at my feet, dragging my trainers back and forth, watching the pattern on the carpet change slightly.

“Or... I don’t know... you pick, Liam.”

“Hm?” I looked up. “All the good films aren’t now ‘part from stupid films for eight year olds about them defeating the cardboard alien race invading or a sloppy romantic film about the mother in-law being a pain. Or that blood and guts one.”

“Totally true,” she smiled. “It’s a shame there’s no films worth seeing.”

“We could go and have a bite at the food court...” I mumbled.

“...she tried to be a hair dresser and put bubbles in my hair.”

“Wish I had a little sister,” said Lauren, taking a bite out of her jacket potato. Lauren had opted for the ‘healthier option’ of food a few minutes before. Burgers were way tastier, personally. “It sounds so amazing.”

“But I’m a boy,” I protested. “I–hairdressing isn’t fun. She and her friend were trying to make my hair full of bubbles.” Last year that was. Beth and her friend Helen were the hair dressers in a bubble factory while I babysat them. They poured the bubble mixture into my dirty blond hair which trickled into my eyes and nearly burned them.

“Bubbles? Sounds creative.”

“Horrifying. But she’s too adorable to resist. It sucks.”

I finished my burger and stood up, throwing my plastic box in the bin before returning.

“At least it weren’t Tuna,” she smirked.

I rolled my eyes. “That stuff’s disgusting.”

“Our lass–” she began. I sniggered like every time when a word from Manchester–her hometown–cropped up in her speech which most of them weren’t in her vocabulary because no one else at school was from Manchester.
“–what?”

“Our lass,” I smirked.

She looked back at me sheepishly. “You put me off speaking sometimes, Lee.”

“But it’s funny, though...”

She finished her jacket potato as we sat in silence–comfortable silence though, with the occasional grin,
or smirk. I held her gaze, before we both burst out laughing.

We walked home, the square being busier than before. The Egyptians never slept before one in the morning, or at least, that’s what it felt like. It was like some law that everyone adhered to. Soon if they made a new constitution they’d probably change it to four in the morning.

The floor vibrated with the loud bass of subwoofers from the clubs at the hotels nearby. The cold felt like it was wrapped around my fingers and plastered to my hollow cheeks. “It’s cold,” I said. It was supposed to be a desert, for God’s sake, not a cold night in Scandinavia or whatever. Baked sand anyone?

We walked through a quiet street, lined with two or three story apartment blocks. Absent-mindedly, I ran my hand along every lamppost we passed, until my hand felt something rougher than the smooth, cold surface I was expecting. I stopped abruptly. Lauren carried on walking ahead, ‘til she stopped as well.

“Why did you stop?” she called.

Holy...

They were photos of... faces. Most of them were ones I recognised from diving. There were a few older faces on there...

My stomach bubbled with acid before twisting into a knot. I knew what it was.

My face glazed over the photos of faces on the paper and onto the bright red title, written in both English and Arabic. “Missing...”

Holy crap, there are more people. More people gone. Older people. Tourists. Probably snorkelers.

You’re such a flipping coward Liam. You should’ve gone after them to see what happened. Soon there’ll be more people.

More people...

More people...

Soon, there’ll be James, a photo of him smiling and probably with his headphones hidden between the thick, chocolate brown hair on his head, his eyes full of happiness from a photo taken a long time ago. A photo of a younger James, with his cheeks even chubbier than now, even happier...

Soon, Lauren will be there. Her electric blue eyes dazzling as usual, her hair floating in the wind.

[/i]And soon, you’ll be there[/i]–the thin boy with the bottle green eyes, the hollow cheeks and the dirty blond hair. Soon the person who started all this mess will be up there because he was such a coward and didn’t do anything about it. Soon...

“Liam, are you all right?”

“W-w-what?”

“Are you OK?”

“I...” I looked around, avoiding her gaze. “I–got a text from Mum, I’ve got to go, there’s something, I–bye Lauren–”

I ran.

I ran, leaving her completely bewildered.

You’re not gonna let yourself forget the mess you’ve got to clear up.
Last edited by Blues on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:47 pm
View Likes
xMidnightWriterx says...

Wow, this gets more interesting everytime I read another chapter! You have to go until the end with this one!! :D
I'm sorry that you've had writers block, I hate it when that happens! And in the middle of a great story too! That's awful! :(

I haven't exactly got time to go all out here but I will point out the major bits! Lets start with the bad firs and save the best 'til last!:

DESCRIPTION <- this word should be like your bestest friend as a writer. So many people have said this to you, listen to them! It's alright to start adding descripton even though you're already three chapters in. You can always edit the other chapters later.

You really have to stick to whatever idea you are writing down on the page:
You’re a fail. “Would you like to go bowling with me tonight?”

This is a great idea for your characters to do, but then you say:
“Would you like to go the cinema with me tomorrow?” I repeated.

Hmm, you haven't just repeated that. It's a brand new idea :D I know you stick to the cinema idea, which is good but you need to change the bowling bit unless you really want to keep it. If you want it in there then you need to say something about him changing his mind quickly or something.

Er, right, which film shall we watch?"

“Umm... what’s this one?”

“Hm?” I looked up.

Speech is a tricky thing to get right. I like how you've tried to incorporate her accent into some of her speech, but in speech it isn't necessary to have every "um", "er" and "hm". It doesn't make it anymore realistic.

O.k, Now for the good bit! As I've read your work I've noticed that you have a really good nack for creating sympathy for your characters. I mean, there were times when I was reading this that I just wanted to hug your character out of sheer pity! Here's a few examples:

I leapt out of the bathroom but I slipped on the white carpet, flooring me.

I have to admit this made me laugh, but I did feel sorry for him too. So not the best way to start the morning :)

James shouted, “Give us hard words–these are for babies.”

Poor Liam!!

Yeah, you get the idea. This is really getting great and I like the ending a lot. Keep up the great writing and sorry I haven't said much. You know the routine if you have a query, Midnight x
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - Albus Dumbledore

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:07 pm
Deanie says...

Hi Blue!

I don't think this is a rubbish chapter! I liked it a lot, just as much as the first chapter!

I can't see any mistakes. I liked how he finally went out with Lauren. But that all ended a bit badly when Liam ran away from her. Hopefully he'll be able to solve that back out and fix it up.

It is absolutely not his fault that his friends went missing, but I can understand how he'd feel guilty. I am interested to see whats going to happen next!

This review can't be that helpful... but its still here!

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:42 pm
AmeliaCogin says...

Hiya Mac, how're you doing?

Anyway, here's onto a review. This was a good chapter. It's not very polished around the edges, though. It's a bit slap-dash in places, as if you've just quickly typed it up without proofreading properly.

I'm just going to get on with some general nitpicks now.

Ahmadblues wrote:alarm clocks
Just a slight error here - alarm clocks'.

Ahmadblues wrote:I dashed to the bathroom for a quick shower and brushing my teeth. I leapt out of the bathroom but I slipped on the white carpet, flooring me.

Right, these two sentences are awful. So, here's how they should read. I dashed to the bathroom for a quick shower and to brush my teeth. Eventually, I leapt out of the bathroom but slipped on the white carpet flooring the hallway/my bedroom.

And, another reviewer already pointed this out, I think. When Liam asked Lauen out on a date you said 'tonight' the first time and when you repeated yourself, you put 'tommorow'. If you did this purposefully then just ignore me.

And those were my main nitpicks. As always, the main problem was to do with description. Or, rather, the lack of description. You're quite a get-to-the-point type of person, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that, somehow, something felt like it was missing from the story. I think all your blunt, non-descriptive sentences are just a little bit lonely. They need some extra oomph; they need to be accompanied by a bit of prose. Anyway, I know I've gone on to you about this loads of times, so I'll leave it at that. If you re-write it and want me to take a look at it then please do let me know.

~ Amelia

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 pm
Blues says...

The Rewrite. Is here. To your dismay/delight :)
I tried to make that spelling scene more useful by adding some stuff about James. Now you know that he's a practical joker, fluent at X languages and that he's a little bit of a show off XD

@Amelia, I added a lot of description - hope I didn't overdo it, LOL! Is that level of description enough? I'm asking as I'm going to start Chapter four now. From the president's POV again, actually...

Chapter Three

Liam Hunt

I woke up suddenly, gasping for breath, sweating. My eyes looked around my room, with clothes sprawled all over the floor, pools of colour splashed all over the place. Just another dream. My dreams were haunted by my body falling into water, disappearing and sucked into murky depth of water. I glanced at the clock. It was only four in the morning. I closed my eyes, hoping to fall asleep.

Yet again, I woke up, my heart racing. This time, the murky depths of water transformed into the shape of the face of a fuming Chinese dragon, its mouth gaping open. Hate life. I shut my eyes. Life sucks.

7:58 AM
14-FEB-2011

My eyes flickered open again. I considered staying home that day, until realising what the day was.
Valentine’s day... CRAP!

I dashed to the bathroom for a quick shower and to brushing my teeth. Once I finished, I leapt for the door handle but slipped on the white carpet flooring the bathroom, finding myself eye-level to the door hinges.

“For God’s sake!”

I stood up again and flung open the door, and ran back to my bedroom. I put on my uniform: a light blue polo shirt and some beige combat trousers. I then grabbed my bag before pelting out of the house.
I could tell that the weather would be nice that day, even though I found myself barely able to look at the floor from the level of light outside. The weather was always nice actually, except for the freak storm we’d get once a year. Apart from that, it was great.

That day was no exception–the clear sky was an azure blue, the sun’s rays almost blinding and reflecting on the shimmering sand smeared over the pavement that drifted onto the road after the wind blew lightly again.

I glanced at my watch, growling. Like this, I would never get there on time.

I arrived late to school, interrupting Arabic. Thankfully, Sir didn’t say anything, but even so, I still couldn’t ask Lauren.

A few minutes later after checking that we did our homework which for once wasn’t as hard as A-Level maths, we began our spelling test. We usually had one every Tuesday, but Sir announced after Christmas that we’d have to spell the words without knowing what they were beforehand, to my dismay. Why? Seriously...

I was terrible at spelling in Arabic. Who could tell the difference between ح and ه ? Sometimes, Omar was kind enough and to flick a scrunched up piece of paper with all the letters that had the same sound but had something to do with emphasis. James sniggers every time we do the test, glancing at the frustration written on my face while I’m trying to work out how to spell a word. It doesn’t help that James was fluent in Arabic. His parents gave him special Arabic classes before he moved here. He’s been in Sharm for ages, six years or something.

“Spell camel,” our teacher said, in Arabic. Easy words first, hard ones later. “Spell plane.” Second word in and already we had a word that would confuse me.
Just before our teacher was about to tell us the third word when James shouted, “Give us hard words–these are for babies.”

James was dead.

“I was doing the easy ones for Liam,” he replied, smiling, revealing a set of even white teeth.

Everyone in the room’s eyes darted to me. I felt my hollow cheeks go a fiery red, so I put my head down, where my face couldn’t be seen. I doodled on the corner of the sheet, as if I wasn’t concentrating, but my cheeks gave it away.

“But fair enough. I will do harder spelling.”

Nice practical joke, James.

Halfway through the test, I felt something hit my ear. I found a hastily-scribbled note, from Omar, with another tip. I smiled. It was nice to know that there was someone who was willing to help. That didn’t stop me from failing the test–again. To my dismay, there was a much more important test in two weeks. I knew what my result would be.

“How was... spelling?” James had just stood up and walked to me, folding his arms with a smug look on his face.

“James, you’re dead.”

He sniggered, brushing the brown hair out of his eyes. “Your facial expression was hilarious.”

“Just because you actually understand it. It looks like gibberish to me. They don’t even read the same way as us.”

“I–apparently–have a gift for languages. That’s what our teacher said. I’m already fluent in English and French, near fluency in Arabic, alright at German–”

“Stop showing off.” Just because you’re half-Swiss. And have four national languages. Lucky guy.

It was lunch and I went out searching for Lauren, having been unable to speak to her at break where she was with her friends. Her giggling friends. Her loud, giggling friends. It seemed like there were more than normal, because even Jasmin was there. Lauren didn’t exactly like her. It might’ve not have been completely obvious...

Their presence around Lauren made me extremely nervous. If I spoke to Lauren, the topic would be spread like a wildfire. It was OK this time last year, but ever since that boy left for his home country, it was like everyone was talking about me.

Huh. Least I wasn’t asking someone like Jasmin to come with me. A “bitch” as James described her.
I found her sitting at the front, on the grass, picking off the petals of one of the roses that lined the garden. She’s... pretty. I smiled to myself, as I walked closer to her. Understatement. I grinned.

She still didn’t notice me. I slowly sat next to her, my greeting only alerting her of my presence. She seemed a little surprised but happy all the same. “Hey.”

“It’s Valentine’s day today,” I said, a few minutes later.

“Really?” replied Lauren, in a sarcastic tone. Her eyes were still on the petals she was playing with. I smiled.

This is it. “L-Lauren,” I began, my gaze set on the grass, biting my lip. I could taste the metallic taste of blood in my mouth. “D’you–do you want to–” I stopped, feeling my cheeks go ablaze for the second time that day. You’re a fail. “Would you like to go the cinema tonight?”

Lauren stopped playing with the flower and from the corner of my eye, I could see her facing me. “What?”

“Would you like to go the cinema with me tomorrow?” I repeated. I turned to her, holding my breath.

“You’re asking me?”

No, I’m obviously asking my pet rock.

I nodded.

“I’d love to,” she beamed.

Mission accomplished.

I met Lauren at the cinema, slightly late after being told off by Mum for leaving the bathroom looking like a warzone, being forced to clean it up and getting grounded. Not like she’s ever in the house anyway ‘cause all she seemed to be doing was working. Trust her to do something like that.

“Sorry I’m late–Mum was being a pain,” I said after greeting her. My mouth was uncomfortably dry but I tried to ignore it.

“It’s fine,” she replied, beaming. We walked to the cinema through the square in front of the cinema was large and busy. The sweet smell of hookah filled the air, accompanied by words of conversation wafting with it.

Entering inside, we were welcomed by the smell of popcorn. “Right, er, which film shall we watch? “

“What’s this one?” she asked, pointing at a name of a film on the wall mounted screen behind the cashier. “It sounds exciting.”

“Can we watch another one? Think it’s a blood and guts one and... it’s not really my... thing.” I looked down at my feet, dragging my trainers back and forth, watching the pattern on the carpet change slightly.

“Or... I don’t know... you pick, Liam.”

I looked up, glancing at the board which film times. “All the good films aren’t now ‘part from stupid films for eight year olds about them defeating the cardboard alien race invading or a sloppy romantic film about the mother in-law being a pain. Or that blood and guts one.” I hated small cinemas.

“I have to agree,” she smiled. “It’s a shame there’s no films worth seeing.”

“We could go and have a bite at the food court...” I mumbled.

“...she tried to be a hair dresser and put bubbles in my hair.”

“Wish I had a little sister,” said Lauren, taking a bite out of her jacket potato. Lauren had opted for the ‘healthier option’ of food a few minutes before. Burgers were way tastier, personally. “It sounds so amazing.”

“But I’m a boy,” I protested. “I–hairdressing isn’t fun. She and her friend were trying to make my hair full of bubbles.” Last year that was. Beth and her friend, Helen or something, were the hair dressers in a bubble factory while I babysat them. They poured the bubble mixture into my dirty blond hair which trickled into my eyes and nearly burned them.

“Bubbles? Sounds creative.”

“Horrifying. But she’s too adorable to resist. It sucks.”

I finished my burger and stood up, throwing my plastic box in the bin before returning.

“At least it weren’t Tuna,” she smirked.

I rolled my eyes. “That stuff’s disgusting.”

“Our lass–” she began. I sniggered like every time when a word from Manchester–her hometown–cropped up in her speech which most of them weren’t in her vocabulary because no one else at school was from Manchester. “–what?”

“Our lass,” I smirked.

She looked back at me sheepishly. “You put me off speaking sometimes, Lee.”

“But it’s funny, though...”

She finished her jacket potato as we sat in silence–comfortable silence though, with the occasional grin, or smirk. I held her gaze, before we both burst out laughing.

We walked home, the square being busier than before. The Egyptians never slept before one in the morning, or at least, that’s what it felt like. It was like some law that everyone adhered to. Soon if they made a new constitution they’d probably change it to four in the morning.

The floor vibrated with the loud bass of subwoofers from the clubs at the hotels nearby. The cold felt like it was wrapped around my fingers and plastered to my cheeks. “It’s cold,” I said. It was supposed to be a desert, for God’s sake, not a cold night in Scandinavia or whatever. Baked sand anyone?

We walked through a quiet street, lined with two or three story apartment blocks. Absent-mindedly, I ran my hand along every lamppost we passed, until my hand felt something rougher than the smooth, ice cold surface I was expecting. I stopped abruptly. Lauren carried on walking ahead, ‘til she stopped as well, further down the road.

“Why did you stop?” she called.

Holy...

It was a piece of paper. With photos. Of... faces. Most of them were ones I recognised from diving. There were a few older faces on there...

My stomach bubbled with acid before twisting into a knot. I knew what it was.

My face glazed over the photos of faces on the paper and onto the bright red title, written in both English and Arabic. “Missing...”

Holy crap, there are more people. More people gone. Older people. Tourists. Probably snorkelers.

You’re such a flipping coward Liam. You should’ve gone after them to see what happened. Soon there’ll be more people.

More people...

More people...

Soon, there’ll be James, a photo of him smiling and probably with his headphones hidden between the thick, chocolate brown hair on his head, his eyes full of happiness from a photo taken a long time ago. A photo of a younger James, with his cheeks even chubbier than now, even happier...

Soon, Lauren will be there. Her electric blue eyes dazzling as usual, her hair floating in the wind.

And soon, you’ll be there–the thin boy with the bottle green eyes, the hollow cheeks and the dirty blond hair. Soon the person who started all this mess will be up there because he was such a coward and didn’t do anything about it. Soon...

“Liam, are you all right?”

“W-w-what?”

“Are you OK?”

“I...” I looked around, avoiding her gaze. “I–got a text from Mum, I’ve got to go, there’s something, I–
bye Lauren–”

I ran.

I ran, leaving her completely bewildered.

You’re not gonna let yourself forget the mess you’ve got to clear up.

News is not a game show. You don't win a car if you happen to be right.
— John Oliver