Young Writers Society

13 (Chapt. 1)

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:36 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

Five A.M.

“March!”

That was Captain Clone. Her real name was Cloen, but everyone called her Clone behind her back. This is because she looked like all the other female enforcers in the Block - hard jaw, fierce look, hair pulled back into a bun so tight you’d be amazed it didn’t take all the circulation out of her face. Maybe it did, because her monotone expression never changed.

I was jabbed in the knee, a reminder to keep up the pace, and kept in formation. This was Disciplinary Military Courses. Basically, it was a class for all of us to follow orders. Like all of our other classes. This one required us following patterns according to the blows of the whistle, always running, always in step and in sync.

Pretty soon I realized that I wasn’t out of formation, but the person who kept jabbing my knee was Carra Lorner. She’s got flowing blonde hair, a long and enviously stunning figure, and a pair of blue gemstone eyes embedded into her model-worthy face. She hated me. And now, after all we’d been through, I hated her, so the relationship was mutual. Unfortunately, we still had to share a cell that was about the size of a shoebox. A long nail of hers reached to dig into my side once Clone had her back to some others again.

Then it was time for the punishment. Basically, they pulled out anybody with the worst lag; no excuses. Pretty soon I was hearing the normal numbers be called. “90395!” A 9-year-old girl with a consistently bad cough was pulled from the pack. “84-308!” A boy about seventeen who had somehow managed to stay overweight after the five months we’d been there on minimum portions came forward. Then I heard it. “28-90137!” That was me. My lungs were clouded and deflated. My breath gone. Of course I was called. I’m always called. It always made me remember my mom saying, “Oh, asthma’s not the worst thing to happen to you. It could be so much worse.” She hadn’t known that any of this would happen though, had she? It was moments like that I missed breathing. And didn’t even want to think about missing my parents.

I went to the center along with the other stragglers. “Kneel,” Clone ordered. I knew the drill. This happened on a near-daily basis, all depending the day’s schedule. Other numbers were called out, and around me were the rest of us hopeless souls. Out came the henchmen, as we called them, all big overgrown versions of men, each with a whip in his meaty hand. I felt the footsteps on the floor as one stood behind me, the smell of blood emanating from his clothes, meat from his breath. Closing my eyes, I flinched as Clone said, “Now.”

There’s some sort of charge that runs through you when you’re struck. Maybe it’s a feeling of pain, or maybe of fight. Either way, it practically overcomes you. The first time I’d been punished, I’d screamed and shrieked and cried until I’d slipped into unconsciousness. The sounds of the others were even worse than my own cries. Now I’d learned to turn everything out, but it’s not like it stops hurting. It opened up the previous welts on my back also; the wet feeling of blood was dripping down my back with mingled sweat.

Then, as usual, I fainted.

I woke up in the usual place. Oh, the good old medic ward. Isn’t that a laugh? They hurt us, heal us, and hurt us again. Killing us would be just too easy, wouldn’t it? But until they forced me back out, at least I’d get to spend some time in a nice, sheeted bed. There was a bad taste in my mouth that was the typical medication. Giving pain-killers must’ve been banned, because no matter how bad it hurt nobody’s was given anything. Even in surgery they used bare minimum anesthetic. I rolled off my stinging back to lie on my stomach, when I noticed the person in the bed beside mine.

A stranger? No way.

We are Block 13. There are dozens of blocks. The lower the number, the worse the conditions. Anyone under eighteen years old who's not supporting the Parygium Order came here to be “corrected.” When your eighteenth birthday comes around, you get the decision - support the army, or die. That is, if they don’t kill you instantaneously, like they’ll do to me. It depends on a lot of factors, but your history in the Block is the bulk of what decides your fate. I’ll admit, I haven’t been good. I’m ready to die. My family’s dead. My friends most likely are, too. My guess is that the stranger on the bed beside mine must’ve done something worse, so that he’d been moved down a block, or up as a reward for good behavior. But there was always a grading point for that when they moved people around. Why would they move him out of the blue like that?

He looked unconscious; there was a big purple bump on his head, and like everybody else he was scratched up, but he was definitely alive. You learn to recognize the dead after so long. I sat up and leaned over, scanning him like he was something new entirely. He had a mottle of red and brown hair that fell over his forehead longer than the rest of his hair, the way my little brother’s had - although he was older than my brother, probably even older than me. My heart softened a little as I thought of my little brother McCall. Where was he? My only hope was that he was in a safer block than this one, but I knew the chances that he was okay were slim. I remembered watching the flames swallow up the world around us, coming closer and closer, then from the embers seeing the soldiers, breaking through the only door, taking him from my arms, then taking me…and had I done right when I told him not to fight it?

I pulled away from the stranger and sat back on my own bed. There were footsteps coming from the next room, and I buried myself into the blankets and stayed motionless. By the sounds of the footfalls, there were probably four or five people stopping at the end of the newbie’s bed.

The first voice I recognized. It was Chairman Mercen, the Block manager. He’s the definition of a human snake - icy eyes, pale skin, and slicked-back silver hair that was the only thing that distinguished him as sixty rather than forty. His ambition, like all the other Block Chairmen, was to climb the ladder until reaching Block 1, where horrors almost unimaginable awaited the most rebellious. “Where’d you find him?” he asked in his severing hiss.

“Over by Greenvale. Tiny little town in Thritrova.” That was one of the medics.

“Thritrova?” Mercen said in surprise. “Huh. Who’d have figured? A runt like this from a place like that, weaseling away from the entire army.”

A nurse with a chirpy voice replied, “Do you want us to kill him, sir?”

“Kill him? No, wouldn’t dream of it. Not with the information he could hold,” Mercen decided.

A man with a curious accent added, “Doubt it. His survival’s purely luck. Do we add him to the block?”

“But telling the others that someone’s made it past our soldiers…that we’re not so unbeatable…that someone has escaped...” a woman’s sensual voice rang in.

Peering through the sheets tentatively, I say Mercen brush back the boy’s hair almost exactly as I had; his look was more scrutinizing than mine, though. Deliberating. Finally, his verdict came: “Not much to look at. Bruised. Beaten up. Pretty scrawny too, eh? If this was the one to bring up a revolution, I’d eat my own heart. Like I’ve already said, he’s nothing but a scrawny little brat who somehow managed to slink into the shadows while we worried about more important things. Keeping him here to be brutalized with the others will just show that we aren’t afraid. As soon as his eyes are open, he’s assigned a cell. I’ll make sure his arrival’s well-explained.”

There was a consent of “yes sirs” and “have it your ways,” and all but the chirpy-voiced nurse left. She proceeded to pour something into his mouth, set a timer, and was gone. After a while I sat up and grabbed the ticking alarm. It was set for four hours. I slept, and that was what I woke up to.

The boy woke up too. Clearly expecting it, two bulky henchmen and Chairman Mercen were standing around his bed. The boy’s eyes became wide, revealing his deep brown irises painted with shock and confusion, and just before he sprung to his feet he was grabbed by the mouth, arms and chest. It was just the way it had happened to me. Before I could stop myself, I screamed, “HEY!”

All eyes whirred towards me, the large brown eyes of the boy, the icy hazel ones of Mercen, the multiple pairs of henchmen eyes that were small on their beefy heads. I don’t know where this sudden ounce of courage came from, because I’m as much of a self-fearing coward as any other kid in the Block, but I said unwavering, “Let him go.”

There was a chorus of gruff laughter from the henchmen and a look of irritation on Mercen’s face. “One of you can handle her, I assume.”

One man did; he pulled a large brown sack from the pouch strapped to his back, and before I knew it it’d been pulled over my head, slamming it and me into a wall, and then welcomed dreary unconsciousness once again.
Last edited by StoryWeaver13 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:33 pm
Megan1234 says...

Wow, I've gotta say this is really impressive. You hooked me right away, and my friend tagged along, reading over my shoulder.

Seeing as we're the same age, really, really, really impressive once again. My genre of writing is usually more drama based, not like this though. :) I really enjoy this, please write more!

Really have no bad things to say about this. Descriptions were great, setting too! I'd love to know more!

Keep Writing!

<3 Megan

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Asteral says...

I'm impressed! So far this is the best work I've read! There were emotions, suspense, dialogue and suspense! What more can I ask? Can't wait for the next chapter. Keep it up!

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:30 am
psudiname says...

you struck a nice balence between suspense and charecter development, and did a good job of hooking the reader in. i liked the theme, but i'm certainly biased because i've always loved dystopian stories. while i have nothing bad to say, i did notice what i thought might be an inconsistancy. you said her family was dead, but then you mentioned her brother possibly being alive. if you could make that a little more clear that would be nice. anyway, good job, and keep writing, because i will probably keep reading.
also feel free to check out my new project topic73681.html#p799734, so i can get some feedback from a good writer.
thanks, your friend,
---Psudiname
if anyone wants a review, post on my profile and I'll get to it in a couple days.

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:15 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

Thanks. For whatever reason, the novel wouldn't let me add chapters to this, so now both chapter 1 and 2 are (or should be) under another novel page with the same name. But chapter 2's out, so if anybody's willing to read on, much thanks!
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:12 pm
Tigersprite says...

Tiger here to review per request (though next time can you please provide me with a link? It's a lot faster than digging in your portfolio ;)). Comments shall be in bold within quotes, and longer more important comments shall be outside the quotes.

StoryWeaver13 wrote:Five A.M.

“March!”

That was Captain Clone. Her real name was Cloen, but everyone called her Clone behind her back. This is was because she looked like all the other female enforcers in the Block - hard jaw, fierce look, hair pulled back into a bun so tight you’d be amazed it didn’t take stop all the blood circulation out of in her face. Then again, maybe it did, because her monotone expression never changed.

I was jabbed in the knee,

In the knee? Which means that whoever jabbed the MC was standing in front of them. That makes no sense if they're marching. And why would they be jabbed, anyway? Any physical contact like that would slow them down and make them fall out of pace. Which counteracts the purpose of the contact, to make them move faster. It would make more sense if you had the MC shouted at, not jabbed.

a reminder to keep up the pace, and kept keep in formation. This was the Disciplinary Military Courses. Basically, it was a class for where all of us tofollowed orders. Just like all of our other classes. This one required us to following patterns according to the blows of the whistle, and we were always running, always in step and in sync.

Pretty soon I realized that I wasn’t out of formation, but the person who kept jabbing my knee was Carra Lorner. She’s got flowing blonde hair, a long and enviously stunning figure, and a pair of blue gemstone eyes embedded into her model-worthy face. Why the long, perfect description? It has nothing to do with the jabbing, or with marching. It's unnecessary in the extreme. She hated me. And now, after all we’d been through, I hated her, so the relationship was mutual. Unfortunately, we still had to share a cell that was about the size of a shoebox. A long nail of hers reached to dug into my side once Clone had her back to some others us again.

Then it was time for the punishment. Basically, they pulled out anybody with the worst lag; no excuses. Pretty soon I was hearing the normal numbers be called. “90395!” A 9-year-old girl with a consistently bad cough was pulled from the pack. “84-308!” A boy of about seventeen who had somehow managed to stay overweight after the five months we’d been there on minimum portions came forward.

This sentence is far too long. Maybe you could put the underlined part in brackets, cut them out, or cut it short to: who had somehow managed to stay overweight.

Then I heard it. “28-90137!” That was me. My lungs were clouded and deflated. My breath was gone. Of course I was would be called. I’m always called.

Oh, the MC is always called? But the Then I heard it part makes it sound as if they don't normally hear their number.

It always made me remember my mom saying, “Oh, asthma’s not the worst thing to that could happen to you. It could be so much worse.” She hadn’t known that any of this would happen though, had she? It was moments like that I missed breathing.[/quote]

The MC doesn't...breathe? But what about their deflated lungs? And I was under the impression that they were human?

And I didn’t even want to think about missing my parents.

I went to the center the center of... along with the other stragglers. “Kneel,” Clone ordered. I knew the drill. This happened on a near-daily basis, all depending the day’s schedule. Other numbers were called out, and around me were the rest of us hopeless souls. Out came the henchmen, as we called them, all big overgrown versions of men, each with a whip in his meaty hand. I felt the footsteps on the floor as one stood behind me, the smell of blood emanating from his clothes, meat from his breath. Closing my eyes, I flinched as Clone said, “Now.”

There’s some sort of charge that runs through you when you’re struck. Maybe it’s a feeling of pain, or maybe of fright. Either way, it practically overcomes you. The first time I’d been punished, I’d screamed and shrieked and cried until I’d slipped into unconsciousness. The sounds of the others were even worse than my own cries. Now I’d learned to turn everything out, but it’s not like it stops hurting. It opened up the previous welts on my back also; the wet feeling of blood was dripping down my back withmingled with sweat.

Then, as usual, I fainted.

I think some sort of sign like ~ # will go good here, to indicate a passage of time.

I woke up in the usual place. Oh, the good old medic ward. Isn’t that a laugh? They hurt us, heal us, and hurt us again. Killing us would be just too easy, wouldn’t it? But until they forced me back out, at least I’d get to spend some time in a nice, sheeted bed. There was a bad taste in my mouth that was the typical medication. Giving pain-killers must’ve been banned, because no matter how bad it hurt nobody’s was given anything. Even in surgery they used bare minimum anesthetics. I rolled off my stinging back to lie on my stomach, when I noticed the person in the bed beside mine.

A stranger? No way.

We are Block 13. There are dozens of blocks. The higher the number, the worse the conditions. Anyone under eighteen not supporting the Parygium Order came here to be “corrected.” When your eighteenth birthday comes around, you get the decision - support the army, or die. That is, if they don’t kill you instantaneously, like they’ll do to me.

Instantaneously? You do understand this means instantly? Like, at that exact moment? Which makes no sense. Also, the mention of them killing our MC goes against what you said two paragraphs above.

It depends on a lot of factors, but your history in the Block is the bulk of what decides your fate. I’ll admit, I haven’t been good. I’m ready to die. My family’s dead. My friends most likely are, too. My guess is that the stranger on the bed beside mine must’ve done something worse, so that he’d been moved down a block, or up as a reward for good behavior. But there was always a grading point a reason, you mean? for that when they moved people around. Why would they move him out of the blue like that?

He looked unconscious; there was a big purple bump on his head, and like everybody else he was scratched up, but he was definitely alive. You learn to recognize the dead after so long. I sat up and leaned over I suppose his aching back is miraculously cured? , scanning him like he was something new entirely. He had a mottle of red and brown hair that fell over his forehead longer than the rest of his hair, the way my little brother’s had - although he was older than my brother, probably even older than me. My heart softened a little as I thought of my little brother McCall. Where was he? I thought you said in the paragraph above that his family was dead? Or did you mean his parents? My only hope was that he was in a safer block than this one, but I knew the chances that he was were, because you used turned chance into a plural okay were slim. I remembered watching the flames swallow up the world around us, coming closer and closer, then from the embers seeing the soldiers, breaking through the only not necessary to mention whether there's one door or multiple in the house door, taking him from my arms, then taking me…

I pulled away from the stranger and sat back on my own bed.

He was already sitting up on his own bed. He only leaned over.

There were I heard footsteps coming from the next room, and I buried myself into the blankets and stayed motionless. By the sounds of the footfalls, there were probably four or five people who had probably come in and stoppinged at the end of the newbie’s bed.

The first voice I recognized. It was Chairman Mercen, the Block manager. He’s the definition of a human snake - icy eyes, pale skin, and slicked-back silver hair that was the only thing that distinguished him as sixty rather than forty Forty-year olds can have silver hair as well, y'know. His ambition, like all the other Block Chairmen, was to climb the ladder until reaching Block 1, where horrors almost unimaginable awaited the most rebellious I thought you said earlier that the blocks got worse as the numbers got higher, not lower? . “Where’d you find him?” he asked in his severing hiss.

What exactly is a severing hiss? There's no need to describe it, just call it a hiss.

“Over by Greenvale. Tiny little town in Thritrova.” That was one of the medics. How could he tell if he couldn't see them? It's not like he'd know the voice of a specific medic.

“Thritrova?” Mercen said in surprise. “Huh. Who’d have figured? A runt like this from a place like that, weaseling away from the entire army.”

“Kill him? No, wouldn’t dream of it. Not with the information he could might hold,” Mercen decided.

A man added, “Doubt it. His survival’s purely luck. Do we add him to the block?”

“But telling the others that someone’s made it past our soldiers…that we’re not so unbeatable…that someone has escaped...” a woman’s sensual voice rang in.

Peering through the sheets tentatively, I say Mercen brush back the boy’s hair almost exactly as I had You didn't mention anything about the MC actively touching the boy; his look was more scrutinizing than mine, though. Deliberating. Finally, his verdict came: “Not much to look at. Bruised. Beaten up. Pretty scrawny too, eh? If this was the one to bring up start a revolution, I’d eat my own liver. Like I’ve already said, he’s nothing but a scrawny little brat who somehow managed to slink into the shadows while we worried about more important things. Keeping him here to be brutalized with the others will just show that we aren’t afraid. As soon as his eyes are open, he’s assigned a cell. I’ll make sure his arrival’s well-explained What's with the dash?.”

There was a consent of “yes sirs” and “have it your ways,” Considering Mercen is the boss guy who people seem a little afraid of, this is a little rude and it sounds odd they'd say it in his presence and all but the chirpy-voiced nurse left. She proceeded to pour something into his the boy's mouth, set a timer, and was gone. After a while I sat up and grabbed the ticking alarm. It was set for four hours. I slept, and that was what I woke up to What was what they woke up to?.

The boy woke up too. Clearly expecting it, two bulky henchmen and Chairman Mercen were standing around his bed. Did they notice that the MC was awake? The boy’s eyes became wide, and just before he sprung to his feet thought he was injured too? And no-one wakes up from a long sleep and just jumps up all alert, they'd be too groggy he was grabbed by the mouth, arms and chest

1) None of these things could stop him from jumping up, seeing as they didn't interfere with his legs. 2)He was what? Grabbed by the mouth, arms and chest? Did you mean a hand was put over his mouth, and his arms were restrained? Still wouldn't stop him from getting up, but that must have been what you meant.

It was just the way it had happened to me You're telling me he was on a hospital bed, and ambushed by three men? ;) Wasn't he simply taken from a burning house?. Before I could stop myself, I screamed, “HEY!” Decapitalize this. The exclamation mark is enough.

All eyes whirred turned. Eyes don't whir towards me, the large brown eyes of the boy, the icy hazel ones of Mercen, the multiple pairs of henchmen eyes that were small on their beefy heads.

Any reason this part is here? Noticing at least one person is okay, but noticing absolutely everyone? The MC should be terrified at the sight of Mercen looking at him, not glancing at everyone else.

I don’t know where this sudden ounce of courage came from, because I’m as much of a self-fearing coward as any other kid in the Block, but I said, “Let him go.”

There was a chorus of gruff laughter from the henchmen and a look of irritation on Mercen’s face. “One of you can handle her, I assume.” Oh the MC is a she? I've been wondering about their gender from the beginning.

One man did; he pulled a large brown sack from the pouch strapped to his back, and before I knew it it’d been pulled over my head, slamming it and me into a wall, and then I welcomed dreary unconsciousness once again.

Well, let's break this down a bit.

Your MC

I think you could have mentioned her gender a lot earlier, instead of in the second-to-last paragraph. Perhaps it's just me, but I also feel you could have given her more emotion. You tell us all these horrible things about the Block, but you don't really show her reacting to them. You don't show her fear, her anger. Even when she's talking about Mercen, there's no fear. No anger at him. There isn't much pain in her remembering her brother, just the trailing ellipsis that reminds us it's a sad event. You need to give her more feeling.

Realism

Right. Now you say that all they basically do in the Block is follow the orders of the official and get whipped. And then after the years of following orders and getting whipped, they either die or are forcibly conscripted into the army. Well I don't know about you, but I don't see the point of this. For starters, they're wasting money. Wasting it feeding the kids, seeing as they will probably end up killing most of them. Instead of waiting 'til they're 18, they could simply kill of the weak kids who they obviously wouldn't want in an army, and those who keep going against the rules/ showing disdain for the organization. Sort-of, actually, like the MC.

And isn't a little odd that Mercen and his people were talking about the boy when they knew the MC was there? They knew, obviously, that the MC could be awake, and obviously what they were discussing was sensitive information, not the kind of thing you gossip. It didn't even make much sense for them to discuss it in front of the boy, either. Why didn't they have the whole conversation in Mercen's office or something? And why were Mercen and some henchmen standing over the boy? This is, again, a private matter. The MC should have been moved to a different ward or something, or the boy should have been taken to Mercen's office when he awoke, something like that.

All in All

This is pretty good. I noticed some places were you used words a bit strangely, but there was nothing too bad and certainly no spelling mistakes. The ending, however, was a bit strange. Unless the MC is an uber-special character, they could just have ushered her out of the room instead of putting her in a sack. Very strange. Anyway, it was a good story overall. Certainly quite interesting. Great job, and KEEP WRITING!

Tiger
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:41 am
TheAlphaBunny says...

Hiya:) Just thought I'd return a review.
As I am a sucker for this kind of story--war, imposing government, teenage rebellion, the works--I perked up upon beginning this. Now for some flouncy useless commentary: I like your style. The beginning was intriguing especially with the command as the first word. Dialogue is a good way to grab attention, but it really doesn't seem all that utilized, at least from what I've read thus far. So kudos. I'm curious as to why there are the hate filled dynamics between the MC and Carra, and being interested is always a good thing. Um, does it make me an evil person to have enjoyed the whipping bit? I suppose I just appreciate the implementation of violence as catalyst to gain insight to the character's emotional status. <-- the socially acceptable story
Ok, the real stuff. *cracks knuckles*
I was jabbed in the knee, a reminder to keep up the pace, and kept in formation

I have a hard time visualizing this. If they are in fact marching, or running, or whatever it is they're doing, how is she being jabbed in the knee and with what? Maybe just some clarification later on when she goes to mention Carra.
She’s got flowing blonde hair, a long and enviously stunning figure, and a pair of blue gemstone eyes embedded into her model-worthy face

"She had" perhaps? I noticed this tense change thing in other sections, too, so I guess just be aware of it.
It was moments like that I missed breathing. And didn’t even want to think about missing my parents

Liked the second sentence. Don't really understand the first.
It opened up the previous welts on my back also; the wet feeling of blood was dripping down my back with mingled sweat

The part after the semicolon seems oddly worded to me. Um, "It opened up the previous welts in my back, and I could feel the wet sensation of blood and sweat mingled dripping down my back." Or something less awkward and redundant. ^^' (Maybe I should go to bed instead of attempting to review...onward!)

Nice.
A man added, “Doubt it. His survival’s purely luck. Do we add him to the block?"
“But telling the others that someone’s made it past our soldiers…that we’re not so unbeatable…that someone has escaped...” a woman’s sensual voice rang in

When the woman speaks, isn't she trying to point out the flaw in adding him to the block? I think it would make more sense if she were to say something like, "And tell the others..." at the begging of her little bit.

Ok, I'm going to stop. At this point I'm just being nit picky, when the reality is you're a good writer with an interesting story and I'm a subpar reviewer. ;)
That being said, I hope I helped some. I'll go hunt down the second chapter now...
Much love,
Bunny
"I can have oodles of charm when I want to." --Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

ah yes my boiling cheetohs
— tatteredbones