z

Young Writers Society

The Cherry Code - Chapter Three - The Unexpected Company

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:15 pm
BlondieMissyAngel says...

I pulled off a few hours before sunset, into secluded cove where I began to build a fire to keep me warm and ward off curious animals. While it was still light outside I had taken advantage of a great fishing spot I had discovered a few miles back. Now my dinner of carp was cooking slowly over the blazing fire. I had found a rosemary bush nearby and picked a few leaves that I placed inside my fish to add more flavor.

I was searching for more herbs when the oak canoe I had safely tied to a tree near the riverbed, suddenly rocked against the current. I froze and eyed it suspiciously. All was silent and the canoe was still again. Only the soft gurgling of the shimmering river and the occasional splash of a fish, leaping out of the water was to be heard. It must have just been my imagination. I decided. I felt my forehead to check for a fever, all day long I had been hearing things, a cough here, sniff there, something or someone clearing its throat. I hadn't really paid any attention, thinking that the sounds came from the land and were just loud. Now however I began to think that the noises might have been from the same person, and I hadn’t caught a glimpse of anyone on land. Slowly I turned to look back at my canoe.

Cautiously I went to investigate then someone coughed and the canoe swayed. I went cold. All that was left in my canoe was my rucksack and tools and a large woolen blanket, all just as I had left it. Something however caught my eye. The blanket appeared to be moving. As I watched it rose up and down and up and down… I cleared my throat and as I did the blanket jumped. Startled I stumbled back. who…or what is hiding under the blanket? I wondered. Slowly making my way back to the canoe i could feel the curiosity and adrenaline rushing through my blood, I gently pulled the blanket up.

To my utmost surprise, there lay Astor, huddled in a small ball, his eyes shut tight.

“I can see you Astor.” I told him dully.

He sighed and opened one eye slowly, peeking up at me. “I know…please don’t be mad.”

“Why are you here?” I questioned, trying to remain calm.

“I… I was just curious and I didn’t want you to go alone.” He explained, now carefully examining the floor of the canoe.

“Astor?”

“Yes?” he said sitting up, his sandy blonde hair sticking in all directions.

“Does Canowicate know what you’ve done? You’re sick! Does anyone but me you’re here?”

“Well…. No,” He sighed again, memorizing the palms of his hands.” When you came into your grandfather’s cabin and the nurse was looking at me she said my flu was getting better and that I would be fine in a few days. Then Canowicate said he had a vision and the nurse made us leave, but I wanna help!” Looking up at me I could see that there was now a strange fierceness in his screaming silver eyes.

I knew there was no way I could send him back. We were fourteen hours downstream… to travel back upstream to the village would take a full day or so of hard work and walking could take a week. Unfortunately I was stuck with him even though I had a feeling that this mission was not a safe one for him to be a part of and I also knew that he was now my responsibility.

Sighing I turned my back to him. “Well you should sit by the fire and warm up. I’ll get another fish going for you and see if there are any medical leaves, herbs or berries nearby to help that cough. I don’t want you to get and sicker than you already are. That wouldn’t be much help.” I said walking over to the fish basket that I had stuck into a small hole that I had dug out and filled with water, pulling out a fish and handed it to Astor along with a gutting knife.

A smile lit his tanned face and he jumped out of the canoe and took the fish and knife and walked over to the fire. He then laid the fish and knife in the sand and found a large smooth stone and brought it back and began to gut the fish.

That’ll keep him busy for a while. I thought, looking around and walking to the edge of the forest. I wonder what I can find for his cough... as I was searching the forest floor I heard something rustling in the leaves behind me. Jumping I spun around to confront whatever it was. There, in front of me was a rather large rabbit, eating from a bush covered in purple berries. Elderberries! Perfect! I thought, rushing to the bush. I started picking as many bunches of elderberries as I could hold.

I returned to camp and began boiling water from the river by using the only pot I had with me. Crushing the elderberries I had collected to get the juice I then dumped everything into the now simmering water to make elderberry tea. Less than two hours later, bellies full of fish and tea, and the pot holding more elderberries for later use, we headed off again. I had explained everything to Astor and now we took turns, one paddled while other slept.

I’m glad to have Astor with me. This way we can travel during night and day and still get sleep. This will make the journey to the Aloe Mansion faster than if it were just me. I thought with one last look at Astor, now staring wide eyed at the clear surface. Then I drifted into dreamland.

Morning came and brought forest life with it. The birds singing, wind whispering secrets to the trees that, in turn, shook their leaves to the ground as if they were nodding in agreement. The animals came to the water to drink and Astor began pointing out every little new thing he discovered.

“Look! What’s THAT?”

“It’s a honey badger Astor.”

“A honey badger? Cool! Isn’t that an eagle?”

“Yes it is.”

“What kind is it Amiria?”

“I don’t know.”

“Oh… What’s that over there?”

“It’s just a bird.”

“What kind of bird?”

“I think it’s a Swan.”

“It’s pretty!”

“Yes Astor, it’s very pretty.”

“Look at those Lilies! There so white!”

“Yes they are.”

“Can I go pick one? Please Amiria!”

“No, you’ll get all wet and I’ll have to leave you on the shore.”

“Oh… hey look at that bee hive!”

“Well spotted Astor.”

“Thank you! Maybe I should become a hunter!”

I laughed in agreement, “Maybe you should.”

After a few hours of Astor asking me questions about the wildlife and my life, he became extremely quiet. Everything was blissfully peaceful as we drifted lazily downstream. The birds had calmed down and the wind had died, the trees now standing still and tall like army men in a solute. The animals had retreated deep into the woods to collect food for the winter.

“I’m hungry.” Astor moaned when the sun was already high.

“Astor we just ate a few hours ago!” I replied

“No,” he argued, “we ate when the sun rose!”

Sighing I reached into my rucksack and pulled out a dried fish and handed it to him. Gratefully he took it from me and worked on gnawing at his meal. I took out another one and started to eat it myself. We sat there in silence, watching as all landscape drifted lazily past.

“Amiria?” he asked, taking one last bite before discarding it into the river.

“Yes?” I replied only halfway finished with my fish.

“Who is going to steal the Cherry Code?”

“I don’t know Astor.” That was the truth… I didn’t know. I also didn’t like not knowing.

“Amiria, do you think we’ll find it before whoever is going to steal it does?” he asked a hint of panic in his eyes.

I looked away. “I hope so Astor.”

“Me too.” He sighed.

With that, we were quiet again, lost in thought.

I wonder who is trying to steal the Cherry Code. I thought, Grandfather said that in his vision it was a man. What man? Why couldn’t this be easier? I sighed aloud and Astor looked at me. I looked away unable to meet his gaze. The fate of our tribe was in our hands, the hands a seventeen year old and a twelve year old. For about the twentieth time, I wondered if my grandfather had made a huge error.
Last edited by BlondieMissyAngel on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going down a rabbit hole, get away from all we know!

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:46 pm
FelixWindbow says...

I pulled off in the dead of night, onto the sandy shore where I began to build a fire to keep me warm and ward off curious animals.

When it was still light outside I had taken advantage of a great fishing spot I had discovered a few miles back. Now, my dinner of carp was cooking slowly over the blazing fire. I had found a rosemary bush nearby and picked a few leaves that I placed inside my fish to add more flavour.

The oak canoe was safely tied to a tree on the riverbed. Suddenly, it rocked against the current. I froze and eyed it suspiciously. All was silent and the canoe was still again. Only the soft gurgling of the shimmering river and the occasional splash of a fish, leaping out of the water was to be heard.It must have just been my imagination. I decided.

All day long I had been hearing things, a cough here, sniff there, something or someone clearing its throat. I hadn’t really paid any attention, thinking that the sounds came from the land and were just loud. However now I realized that they all sounded like they were from the same person, and I hadn’t caught a glimpse of anyone on land. I slowly turned to look back at my canoe.

Then someone coughed and the canoe swayed. I went cold. An icy chill ran down my back and cautiously I went to investigate. All that was left in my canoe was my rucksack , tools and a large woolen blanket, all just as I had left it. Something however caught my eye. The blanket appeared to be moving. As I watched, it rose up and down and up and down…

I cleared my throat and as I did the blanket jumped. Startled I stumbled back. who…or what is hiding under the blanket? I wondered. Making my way slowly back to the canoe curiosity and adrenaline rushing through my blood, I gently pulled the blanket up.

To my utmost surprise, there lay Astor, huddled in a small ball, his eyes shut tight.

“I can see you Astor.” I told him dully.

He sighed and opened one eye slowly, peeking up at me. “I know…please don’t be mad.”

“Why are you here?” I questioned critically.

“I… I was just curious and I didn’t want you to go alone.” He explained, now carefully examining the floor of the canoe.

“Astor?”

“Yes?” he said sitting up, his sandy blonde hair sticking in all directions.

“Does Canowicate know what you’ve done? You’re sick! Does anyone but me you’re here?”

“Well…. No,” He sighed again, now memorizing the palms of his hands.” When you came into your grandfather’s cabin and the nurse was looking at me she said my flu was getting better and that I would be fine in a few days. Then Canowicate said he had a vision and the nurse made us leave, but I wanna help!” Looking up at me I could see that there strange fierceness in his screaming silver eyes.

I knew there was no way I could send him back. We were fourteen hours downstream… to travel back upstream to the village would take a full day or so of hard work and walking could take a week. Sighing I knew that I only had one choice.

“Well you should sit by the fire and warm up. I’ll get another fish going for you and see if there are any medical leaves, herbs or berries nearby to help that cough. I don’t want you to get and sicker than you already are. That wouldn’t be much help.” I said walking over to the fish basket that I had stuck into a small hole that I had dug out and filled with water, pulling out a fish and handed it to Astor along with a gutting knife.

A smile lit his tanned face and he jumped out of the canoe and took the fish and knife and walked over to the fire. He then laid the fish and knife in the sand and found a large smooth stone and brought it back and began to gut the fish.

That’ll keep him busy for a while. I thought, looking around and walking to the edge of the forest. I wonder what I can find for his cough... as I was searching the forest floor I heard something rustling in the leaves behind me. Jumping I spun around to confront whatever it was. There, in front of me was a rather large rabbit, eating from a bush covered in purple berries. Elderberries! Perfect! I thought, rushing to the bush. I started picking as many bunches of elderberries as I could hold.

I returned to camp and started to boil water from the river using the only pot I had with me. Crushing the elderberries I had collected to get the juice, I then dumped everything into the now simmering water to make elderberry tea.

Less than two hours later, bellies full of fish and tea, and the pot holding more elderberries for later use, we headed off again. I had explained everything to Astor and now we took turns, one paddled while other slept.

I’m glad to have Astor with me. This way we can travel during night and day and still get sleep. This will make the journey to the Aloe Mansion faster than if it were just me. I thought with one last look at Astor, now staring wide eyed at the clear surface. Then I drifted into dreamland.

Morning came and brought forest life with it. The birds singing, wind whispering secrets to the trees that, in turn, shook their leaves to the ground as if they were nodding in agreement. The animals came to the water to drink and Astor began pointing out every little new thing he discovered.

“Look! What’s THAT?”

“It’s a honey badger Astor.”

“A honey badger? Cool! hey look!Isn’t that an eagle?”

“Yes it is.”

“What kind is it Amiria?”

“I don’t know.”

“Oh. What’s that over there?”

“It’s just a bird.”

“What kind of bird?”

“I think it’s a Swan.”

“It’s pretty!”

“Yes Astor, it’s very pretty.”

“Look at those Lilies! There so white!”

“Yes they are.”

“Can I go pick one? Please Amiria!”

“No, you’ll get all wet and I’ll have to leave you on the shore.”

“Oh… hey look at that bee hive!”

“Well spotted Astor.”

“Thank you! Maybe I should become a hunter!”

I laughed in agreement, “Maybe you should.”

After a few hours of Astor asking me questions about the wildlife and my life, he became silent. Everything was peaceful as we drifted lazily downstream. The birds had calmed down and the wind had died, the trees now standing still and tall like army men in a solute. The animals had retreated deep into the woods to collect food for the winter.

“I’m hungry.” Astor said at around two in the afternoon.

“Astor we just ate a few hours ago!” I replied

“No,” he argued, “we ate when the sun rose!”

Sighing I reached into my rucksack and pulled out a dried fish and handed it to him. He gratefully took it from me and started gnawing on his meal. I took out another one and started to eat it myself. We sat there in silence, gulping down our small meal.

“Amiria?” he asked, taking one last bite of his fish before discarding it into the river.

“Yes?” I replied only halfway finished with my fish.

“Who is going to steal the Cherry Code?”

“I don’t know Astor.” That was the truth… I didn’t know. I also didn’t like not knowing.

“Amiria, do you think we’ll find it before whoever is going to steal it does?” he asked a hint of panic in his eyes.

I looked away. “I hope so Astor.”

“Me too.” He sighed.

With that, we were quiet again, lost in thought.

I wonder who is trying to steal the Cherry Code. I thought, grandfather said that in his vision it was a man. What man? Why couldn’t this be easier? I sighed aloud and Astor looked at me. I looked away unable to meet his gaze. The fate of our tribe was in our hands, the hands a seventeen year old and a twelve year old. For about the twentieth time, I wondered if my grandfather had made a huge error.

Apart from those tiny mistakes, great work!
Keep writing!
Felix Windbow

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:24 pm
Piper says...

It was really good. The only thing I want to know more about is Astor. What is his relationship with Amiria? Other than that, I couldn't think of anything else, Keep writing!
Cats are like characters. You may say they're yours, but in reality, they own you. ~Me

You can take away all the arts you want, but soon, the children won't have anything to read or write about. ~Glen Holland

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:26 pm
DoomBlade87 says...

I like it. I like Astor, it's always good to have someone who likes to talk to get some development going. By the way, did you ever tell us what Amiria looks like? I don't remember if you did, and if you didn't, could you? And out of curiosity, why 'Cherry Code'? It sounds nice but what does cherries have to do with it? Unless that's just coincidence, then it doesn't really matter, but I'm asking anyway.
Rite on. :P
I would never share my candy with you. You're not crazy enough.
"Insanity is not a curse, it's a privilege."- ME

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:48 pm
Deanie says...

Ah, my little mystery of who was the hospital boy is solved... I'm wondering why he was in Grandfather's room now? Was he in there because they are related or something???

Like this chapter just as much as any of your others :)

Good job!

Deanie x
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead