z

Young Writers Society

Chapter 2 of BC

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:07 pm
Ross says...

(Author’s Note: Hello. This might seem a bit random but it’ll make sense later on as I keep writing, okay? Sorry to keep you all waiting so long.)

Sherman, Texas

5 years ago

The man waited with short breath in the closet. He could barely fit in here and one motion would make the door spring open. His vision was impaired by the closet wood; all he could see was the smallest slit between the two doors. And that didn’t help him a lot. All he had to depend on was his hearing.

A mump alerted him and he pressed his tongue against the roof of his mouth, trying to block his breathing by barriers.

Another mump. Footsteps, the man realized. His hands had the heaviest sheen of sweat; he had to work hard not to move a muscle. He cursed himself for putting the carpet down in his bedroom for winter—he could be grasping the closet door now!

There was a creak and the man prayed it hadn’t been him. Another creak. The person was just checking something. They grew fainter and he was just about to push out…when the footsteps came again.

Shit, the man screamed mentally. The footsteps were more rapid now and suddenly they stopped…

They slowly grew louder and louder. The man could barely breathe.

The closet door swung open.

“Oh, my God…”

“Is he okay? What happened?”

“…just fainted…he’s not breathing.”

I was amongst the crowd of people in Art class in third period to look at the unconscious form of Matheson. He was pale to the point where it looked more than sickly—more like unnatural. His red hair flopped back from his thin, handsome face and his body lay in a slouch that was to the point of sliding off the chair and sprawling on the floor.

“He’s not breathing?” I asked the last girl who had spoken. She shook her head, “His pulse is really faint. I don’t know if he’s dead or alive,”

Her answer was presented to her in that moment. Chester’s eyelids fluttered and then opened to many questions bombarded by his classmates:

“Are you okay?”

“What made you faint?”

“Were you having an episode or…?”

“Did the paint get to you…?”

He was going to be okay. I backed away from the crowd, my observer’s perspective putting an amused smile on my face. It was kind of odd how scandal and mystery affected people. Even a loner can be crowded when he has his weak moments.

Maybe it was more than a weak moment.

The girl’s answer echoed in my ears, “Not breathing…pulse is really faint…don’t know if he’s dead or alive…dead or alive…”

I looked at Chester again.

Only to find him staring at me with that same expression he had worn a week ago in Science. That frightened stare brought up what had happened after school, dredging it up from the deep swamp of my memory.

A man had followed me as I had walked the two blocks home from the bus stop in Seattle. Then just yesterday, I had found that my diary was missing. And I had remembered unpacking it when I first moved here.

Coincidence, I told myself. But my voice was getting less and less firm as I repeated the word over and over in my head.

“Are you doing anything today?”

I looked at Chester in mild surprise. It’d been the first time he’d talked to me. His voice was soft; past the point of being pubescent, but not exactly the developed baritone it was supposed to be.

“Why do you need to know?” I asked, bewildered.

No reply.

“Fine,” I said shortly. “I’m going back home.”

“No activities?”

“What are you? My stalker?” I snapped. That rebuke got me a shushing from my 6th-period teacher and I hissed at him, “I don’t plan on telling you every detail of my life!”

“Who do you tell?”

“My mom,”

“You have a diary or something?”

I frowned at him, “Yes! Every girl has a diary at some point,”

Chester said nothing, just stared at me for a little while and then returned to his work. Befuddled, I returned to my own paper and tried futilely to finish.
Last edited by Ross on Sat May 03, 2008 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:19 am
Summerless says...

Oh the suspense! What a perfect cliffhanger.

I only found one error.

He could barely fit in there and one motion would make the door spring open.

If you need extra points, Pm me.
I can't for you to post more!

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:51 am
Vampy_Girl15 says...

I don't think this should be a chapter by itself. It's too short. Maybe make it part of chapter 1 or part of chapter 2.
It was good. I loved the vocabulary you used. :D
You said this will make sense later on in the story so I can't wait to see how it fits!
Keep writing!

~Rachael
Some say laughing is the best medicine but what do you do when you can't laugh anymore?

Multiple personalities are just good social skills.

150 Reviews

Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:32 am
ChernobyllyInclined says...

Yay, more of my favorite story. This was interesting, the description held very closely with the suspense, I quite liked it.

I agree with Vampy though, this is probably too short to be a whole chapter. I suppose you could rename it 'pt 1 of ch 2' but that always annoys me for some reason. If you could add more it would constitute a full chapter, I think.

Anyway, I think this sentence could be improved a little:

He could barely fit in there and one motion would make the door spring open.

Add more description. Something more like:
He could scarcely fit in the cramped, dusty space and one minuscule motion would certainly cause the door to spring open.

Just a few extra words will make the situation more real. That was the only sentence that you didn't accomplish the suspenseful balance that is needed for a piece like this. Also, I think you could probably add something a little less cliche for the last sentence. Instead of saying the door swung open, maybe something more like, 'The man heard a laugh, and then cruel light flooded his pathetic refuge; it was over.' Or something like that.

That is my only suggestion, otherwise, its perfect. Cruel cliff-hanger...Post more!
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:11 pm
OverEasy says...

deafwriter_19 wrote:(Author’s Note: Hello. This might seem a bit random but it’ll make sense later on as I keep writing, okay? Sorry to keep you all waiting so long.)

Sherman, Texas

5 years ago

The man waited with short breath Past tense in the closet. He could barely fit in here Present tense and one motion would make the door spring open. His vision was impaired past tense by the closet wood; all he could see was the smallest slit between the two doors. And that didn’t help him a lot. All he had to depend on was his hearing.

A mump alerted him and he pressed his tongue against the roof of his mouth, trying to block his breathing by barriers.This bit confused me, block your breathing by barriers?

Another mump. Footsteps, the man realized. His hands had the heaviest sheen of sweat; he had to work hard not to move a muscle. He cursed himself for putting the carpet down in his bedroom for winter—he could be grasping the closet door now!

There was a creak and the man prayed it hadn’t been him. Another creak. The person was just checking something. They grew fainter and he was just about to push out…when the footsteps came again.

Shit, the man screamed mentally. The footsteps were more rapid now and suddenly they stopped…

Well it's a good story starter, keeps the reader interested. It's pretty short so I haven't gotten a complete feel for it yet. The only thing I do have to warn you about is staying in the same tense throughout the story. In the first paragraph you jumped from past to present then back to past.

Other than that this was pretty good. The description was interesting, but it's a little vague. There isn't a whole lot for me to talk about yet.

Let me know when the second part is up!
Life is for living.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat May 03, 2008 3:32 pm
Summerless says...

Oh, that was so good! I can't find anything to critique so this review will be short.

The diary part and the stalker part amused me.

Keep on writing! This is great!

(P.S. I'll review part five of your romance story later. I have to log out for now.)

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue May 06, 2008 11:46 pm
Flame11 says...

I like this! Once again, others have beaten me to nitpicking. Sigh. Ah well.

I liked the stalker part. It's fascinating that Chester is very interested with the MC. It makes us wonder why he seems so frightened every time he looks at her and is very concerned about her.

Keep it up!

Alex
One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity.

150 Reviews

Wed May 07, 2008 6:29 pm
ChernobyllyInclined says...

Brilliant, you added more!

Okay, this was good and you definitely kept the tension; important. What I noticed was that Sarah's reactions are not too terribly realistic. Why is she so defensive? Before she acts like she likes him, and then when he talks to her she gets moody and weird. You might want to explain that a little better.

He was pale to the point where it looked more than sickly—more like unnatural.

The end part seems a little awkward. Perhaps say, 'closer to unnatural'? Just a thought.

That frightened stare brought up what had happened after school, dredging it up from the deep swamp of my memory.

I like the way you describe her memory.

“Why do you need to know?” I asked, bewildered.

Like I said above, this response doesn't seem very characteristic. Why would she be rude like that? Maybe something less pointed like, 'Uh...why?' That seems less hostile. The same goes for the next part when she snaps at him about 'telling every detail of her life'. He only asked a simple question, she didn't have any reason to act like that.

Otherwise, it was good. Just that last exchange was a little weird. Now I will go review the next chapter...which you didn't PM me about!
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
— Mark Twain