45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:49 pm
Extraterrestial says...

This is rough of my new idea novel prologue of' Dark Children'
feed back appreciated.

Dark Children

Prologue

Oh I’ll tell you a tale; oh I’ll tell you a tale. I’ll tell you a tale that will rock your world, change it, stain it. Oh this is tale that will smear you with scarlet red, drown you in sorrow and misery. I’ll tale you a tale that will leave you cowering under your blanket. Oh suffer you will. I’ll tell you a tale. One that you won’t forget. One that you can’t forget. Oh I’ll tell you a tale…

The scream cut the night air like a knife through butter. The world was stained, the light sank, the darkness rose

The rules have turned, today is our day. We rule the night.

The wind cracked the silent night, tearing at the tree leaves. The roads were quiet and empty, and the alleyways free of junkies. The streets were gang free, this was unusual. The only sign of life was the lonely man, who was rubbing his hands together-keeping them warm as the blistering wind struck them time and time again. Homeless and poor this single innocent man was nearing his end. His ragged and ripped clothes struggled against the merciless wind, and his bare feet freezing on top of the cobbled path. Then the silence came. The thundering wind came to a sharp halt; the moon withdrew into the clouds and even the stars - everything was just gone - dead to the night. The stranger's dark eyes froze and his hands clasped tight. All he could to was listen intently and try to figure out what is happening but his brain was gone, nerve system vanished. It was just him and his ears. And it wasn’t long before the only working part of his body picked up the rhythmic sound of them, the darkness. “Oh I’ll tell you a tale; oh I’ll tell you a tale. I’ll tell you a tale that will rock your world, change it, stain it. Oh this is tale that will smear you with scarlet red, drown you in sorrow and misery…And that was the last he ever heard, he was gone just like the rest. Hear that rythmic song and that was it. There was nothing you could do. And there was nobody to tell the tale. No witnesses, there never was. It was just them...

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:01 pm
KookieKatie says...

I think it's great, but I would like to be introduced to the main character, maybe? The main character could be watching, or could have something to do with the prolouge so that when the main character is officially brought into the story in Chapter 1, then it doesn't seem like the prologue is detached from the story.
Peepsls on this website ought not to be so hatin against other writers!

It's hella hard just to post your stuff to this place, yo!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:53 pm
Stori says...

This is tale that will smear you with scarlet red

Might want to say "This is a tale..."

A very spooky beginning, though.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:20 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Interesting beginning. However, it was a little hard to read because of most of it being bunched together into a gigantic lump of words. Is that all supposed to be one paragraph? I don't so much like the italics in the middle. They really feel like they should be in their own paragraph.

Anyway, nice bit of writing. Maybe you could expand on the threat a little. What exactly is this thing that stalks the night? Is it singing? Ambiance music? Hmmm?

*thumbs up*

Nice stuff.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:44 pm
kittykat says...

That was great! I agree with GryphonFledging though, I think you could have made that last paragraph into several paragraphs. It would have been a little easier to read that way.

Anyway... This was really good! I hope I get to see more of it! :D
Our happiness here is all vain glory,
This false world is but transitory,
The flesh is weak, the Fiend is slee
Timor mortis conturbat me.
--William Dunbar

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:18 am
Memento Mori says...

It's a very mysterious and interesting start.

I'd love to read the first chapter, and I'll be on the lookout for it.

Yours truly,
Memento Mori
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, pee in it, and serve it to the people who piss you off. Outdo yourself. ^^

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:22 pm
KJ says...

I liked the dark beginning. And it's a good start for a plot. But who is the MC? I know we're with an old man now. But there should be more. Who is the MC? We don't know, and I feel like I was hanging over the abyss as I was reading, because I had no one to cling to when I was experiencing the story.

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:48 pm
ashleylee says...

OKay, I remember reading this before and I noticed you added more to it, which I hoped you would.

All I have to say is this was really eerie. It gave me goosebumps, just thinking about the song and how this old guy was snatched away into the darkness of night.

Very Creepy! :shock: lol

Anyway, the only thing I can think of to change is that in the beginning, I feel as thought you are being really repetitive with your song. I know that's the point, to drill it into people's minds but I still feel as though you could put some extra detail in there to give it that extra edge.

Hopefully this all made sense! :D
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:28 pm
deleted2 says...

Really nice, good buildup of tension !
I like how you repeat the "telling a tale" part, the repetition adds to the eerie mood :D
It sounds like it'll be a good story!

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:44 pm
Runawaythoughts says...

Yeah I agree it'll make a great book I just want to know more. Did the stars seriously vanish or was it all in the guys head. I love this prologue, i hope it develops int a great book. Ill keep my eye out for it.
Read my stories and please review back!

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly