z

Young Writers Society

One to Midnight chapter 3

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:52 pm
Commando588 says...

I took another look into my friend’s eyes. This time much deeper then I ever had. I could see one thing that scratched the surface of his conciseness. It was fear. It was a genuine fear that I had never seen before in him.

There was one time back in our old town that I had seen fear in him, but this time it was different. Last spring him and me had been walking down the street when a car came flying past us. We stopped instinctively and watched as it flew down the street towards the center of town. The driver’s mad dash was cut short when an ideal mini van unknowingly pulled out from a nearby gas station. The woman driver of the van didn’t see the oncoming car and she was meet by disasters consequences.

Both of us kept a steady eye on the two vehicles, but it took only seconds before a tremendous sound came forth. The noise light the neighborhood up with the tremendous carnage it produced. That was the first time I had truly seen what my friend looked like in such a situation. But that look in his eyes that day was nothing compared to the look he had now.

I had only been staring at him a couple of seconds, but he turned his head and gave me an ominous look.
“What?” He said gravely. I didn’t say anything, fearing the words he might say. I just nodded my head, and continued to stare at the news anchor.

“I better call my mom,” I said. And so I made my way to the kitchen and the phone. I had started to dial the phone when Marshal cried out.
“Markus! Come here!” I looked up from the receiver, then walked into the stale room to find my friend pointing strangely at the TV.
“What?” I retorted, taking a quick glance at the massive television screen.

It took a second for me to see what my frightened friend was pointing at. After a couple of seconds of scanning the screen I saw the fearful event that so many had seen that day. The cameraman of the news channel that we were watching was positioned adjacent to the UN conference building. The building sat across the street from were a group of rioters was gathered. I wasn’t sure what had happened, but I could tell something horrible had occurred.

The UN assembly was completely consumed with flames. Former rioters now fled for their lives. People began to flee from the burning building, and many were trampled by oncoming traffic. The building didn’t look stable at all, but it did look like it would hold until the rest were safely out of the building. Marshal and I keep staring at the TV until our hearts sank. The building, now falling over itself, began erupt in more flame. But that’s when something we weren’t expecting happened. Actually, the world wasn’t expecting it. It was a very well thought up plan to declare war on another country. And much like Pearl Harbor, it ended with disaster.

The building came crashing to the floor of the plaza that the foundation of the building was sitting on, and a massive explosion followed the wake. The explosion was so intense that the lenses of the camera that were filming the horrible event instantly turned to melted glass. The broadcasted ended, and my friend broke out in a sob. It was the first time I had ever seen him cry.
You can only be Lost in one place for so long. After awhile you just call it home.

I could say a thousand words and break your heart. Or I could never say one, and break it just the same.
------------

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:52 pm
JFW1415 says...

EDIT: Eh, sorry, I forgot to add the numbers. The comments part, where it says [0] goes in order. The first one that says that is number one, the second is number two, etc. If you need more clarification, please PM me.

~JFW1415

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl