z

Young Writers Society

The Cookie Chronicles

Reviews: 2
Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:23 am
Luca the Inkblot says...

A few things first. This story is completely random, composed of a drifting mind, something you should know. The prologue has nothing and everything to do with the plotline. Keep that in mind.

Prologue and Chapter 1--

The sun shone down, absorbed by the terracotta tiles covering the rooftops of each house in the village. The small town, for reasons known only to its founders, had been placed on a huge chunk of granite, which jutted out like a violin from a small green hill. And what a strange town it was, for the senior villagers lay about under the only tree on that chunk of granite. Few of the elders strayed farther than the tree's shadow. There they lay, ignorant of the cold, hard granite beneath them.

A few villagers pulled themselves from their beds to join them, and, once the entire village had congregated beneath the huge conifer, they began to complain. The elders would groan and moan. The men and women would spout expletives, the children would whine and alienate themselves. The smallest would cry, without any other way of intelligable expressions for sorrow. The seniors would lead with their ranting, crying and bantering, scolding their aching limbs and war wounds still decaying. Their lives began before the first world war, and now they cursed it. And, one by one, they calmly and slowly wandered off, all pain and mad passion lost, seemingly, for a long while. They marveled at the routine of it all, the one thing never to change.

They were wrong, and the rusty gears were set in motion,
And it all began with a bouquet of roses and a barrel of free lotion.
Oh yes, and the ring of a doorbell. :smt065

"Agatha, be quiet! Your grandaddy en't as old as mine! He was alive, watchin' them mammoths get eaten! Agatha, I don't want to hear another word! Oh, hell!" :smt065

McCasey Sprinkles sighed. He stared down morosely at the lifeless body of Maggy, her corpse stiff and motionless on the hard wooden floor. He ran his fingers over her body. Rigor Mortis was swift to come, never to leave. Beside her lay her death carriage, a single wire, still connected to its socket. She had brought down his job with her, with her very last breath. A now useless internet router sat, a few feet away. Without the internet McCasey had no contact with his work, besides the telephone. His boss had sent him an email, the one email that may have changed McCasey's life for the better. It all boiled down to a simple yes or no answer, and if McCasey did not answer in three hours, his novel would never be published. "It still might be a no" McCasey reminded himself. He stroked Maggy's fur, and prepared to pick her dead body up. Shakespeare padded into the room, mewing softly. He stiffened as he saw Maggy lying on the ground, motionless, and pranced from the room, tail standing straight up in the air as Maggy's had done.

The doorbell rang. McCasey swore and stumbled over through his apartment to reach it before the second ring. It was a stranger, someone McCasey had never met before. He was wearing a three-piece suit and tie, looking very fit. The man opened his mouth.

"Yes?" McCasey ventured. From the man's sleeve popped a bouquet of roses. "Uh, sir, I--"

"Hello, I am from Margarita's Bouquet Shoppe, here is a gift from... the New Yorkian Publishing Company."

The man's lips or tongue did not move, but his jaw did, making mechanical sounds, like the whirring of a toy battery.

"Oh! Why thank you!" McCasey gushed, smiling widely and taking the flowers.

"You're very... very welcome," said the stranger sincerely.

In that instant McCasey realized two things: one, a huge wall of red syrup was flying towards him faster than he could possibly blink, and two, he had left the dry cleaning at Florham Park (he had gone for an ice cream and left his ironed clothes on a bench). The wall of syrup slammed into his midsection, air bursting through his closed mouth, McCasey stumbled back into the house, dropping the untouched bouquet of roses and the card attached to one of the stems. He let out a moan.

The shower he took cost him a little over an hour and at least $100. By then Mrs. Briggs had arrived to take little Shakespeare to the vet for his checkup.

"Now, honey, you just don't worry about a thing--l'il Shakespeare'll be all right wid me. Atchoo! I'm going to be swift, howeva, honey, cause I'm going to the shrift tonight."

In her younger years, Mrs. Briggs had tought Shakespeare and English Literature at Oxford University. She often used its jargon in her everyday life. Only her husband, Manfred, truly understood her. McCasey had only met Manfred twice, both on formal occasions, and both times in a dim-lit room in Manfred's house. (Manfred was always highly allergic to something carried on the air outside, something McCasey did not understand).

"Okay, Mrs. Briggs, tell me if he still needs those rabies shots on Thursday."

"Thou art to brisk, McCasey! Of course, deeah, I shall tell you!"

She left with Shakespeare in the cat carrier. McCasey went to his study, gently picked up Maggy's corpse, and buried it in Mrs. Briggs' garden. He could imagine her voice of dibelief even now.

"Fertilizer! Fertilizer? McCasey, hon, have you lost your marbles?"

In the end, she would be able to understand. Mrs. Briggs was the most motherly character McCasey could ever meet, also the most devoted. When McCasey's girlfriend was in the hospice with terminal cancer, Mrs. Briggs drove 4 hours to pick McCasey up at the airport and 4 hours back to the hospice, excluding traffic.

McCasey walked over to the wilting bouquet of roses, and the card.

Dear McCasey Sprinkles, this is a letter to inform you that your novel, Bridge to Tibble, has been approved of by the New Yorkian Publisher Company. Please arrive on Febuary the 14, we will be expecting you around 8:00 p.m. Please arrive on time. If you do not, your novel may very well not be published (we will be busy with another author).

Of this long letter, one word resounded in McCasey's head. Author. He scrambled for his Sumo Wrestling Calendar. There were two occupations on that day. His blind date at 5:00 and his appointment with Shakespeare's veterinarian about his rabies shots and discussion of his neutering at 6:00. He slapped his head in frustration. Both previous occupations had been put off for too long. He had to find a way to get to the blind date on time, make sure Shakespeare got his rabies shots, and be at a life-changing moment at 7:00. Life, was indeed, overly complicated.

--here ends chapter 1 of the Cookie Chronicles. In the prologue, the argument over Agatha's grandfather's age is merely a setup for the ending rhyme doorbell and hell. Just so you know!

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:21 pm
Blue Fairy says...

hi this chapter is very interesting but a bit confusing.

which jutted out like a violin from a small green hill.

I don't understand this sentence. what do you mean by 'like a violin'?

you could also change the word small to something else because you already used it earlier in the paragraph.

Oh yes, and the ring of a doorbell. :smt065

"Agatha, be quiet! Your grandaddy en't as old as mine! He was alive, watchin' them mammoths get eaten! Agatha, I don't want to hear another word! Oh, hell!" :smt065

You don't really need the emoticons in these sentences. it unusual to have them there.

McCasey Sprinkles sighed. He stared down morosely at the lifeless body of Maggy, her corpse stiff and motionless on the hard wooden floor. He ran his fingers over her body. Rigor Mortis was swift to come, never to leave. Beside her lay her death carriage, a single wire, still connected to its socket. She had brought down his job with her, with her very last breath. A now useless internet router sat, a few feet away. Without the internet McCasey had no contact with his work, besides the telephone. His boss had sent him an email, the one email that may have changed McCasey's life for the better. It all boiled down to a simple yes or no answer, and if McCasey did not answer in three hours, his novel would never be published. "It still might be a no" McCasey reminded himself. He stroked Maggy's fur, and prepared to pick her dead body up. Shakespeare padded into the room, mewing softly. He stiffened as he saw Maggy lying on the ground, motionless, and pranced from the room, tail standing straight up in the air as Maggy's had done.

you haven't made it very clear was Maggy is. I assume she's a cat but at start she seems like a human.

I don't understand the connection between the router. you seem to suddenly forget about maggy and start talking about his novel.

i think you should split this into two paragraphs from where you start ralking about the router.

The doorbell rang. McCasey swore and stumbled over through his apartment to reach it before the second ring. It was a stranger, someone McCasey had never met before. He was wearing a three-piece suit and tie, looking very fit. The man opened his mouth.

you dont need the word 'over' here.

the highlighted bit of the sentence is unnecessary.

McCasey stumbled back into the house, dropping the untouched bouquet of roses and the card attached to one of the stems

you cant drop untouched roses because they haven't been touched :?

Maybe you should rephrase that.

In her younger years, Mrs. Briggs had tought Shakespeare and English Literature at Oxford University.

since you have just been talking about Shakespeare the cat it will confuse reading saying she taught Shakespeare.

did she teach the cat?

He could imagine her voice of dibelief even now.

disbelief

you said the life changing moment at 7:00 but in the letter you say 8:00.

overall I this will turn out to be a very good story :)

PM me if you would like me to help with anything else.

~Fairy
Formely known as Fairy_twinkletoes_13

Grab a pogo stick and come and....pogo with me!

Brains first, then hard work. That's the way to build a house- Eeyore

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:23 pm
Eimear says...

Emotions on a page? Sorry, I couldnt really get into this. I would suggest not having such a detailed first paragraph, then my mind won't wander.

Hope that helps

Eimear
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:36 pm
aszecsei says...

yeah, the emoticons really detract from the story. also, you switch topics so fast that it really makes it hard to understand. the cat seems like she was the one talking about her grandfather, and then the guy seems like he murdered the cat.

You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.
— Madeleine L'Engle, Author