Young Writers Society

Trouble on the Homefront - Prologue

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:54 pm
HIGHWHITESOCKS says...

Prologue
Secret Service

My father and mother told me to get ready quickly, that we had to get moving. I didn’t understand; it was Saturday afternoon, and no one went to school or worked after noontime on Saturday. They were in the habit of going out around this time every week, but they always left me at home. I was nervous, but I followed their orders. I noticed that father slung his semi-auto carbine over his shoulder and give mother a revolver before we left. Why didn't he give me a weapon? Why did he bring his weapon? Did we need weapons? Those were all the questions I had. I wasn't afraid of guns, but I was afraid of what we might be going to that needed them.

After leaving our large ranch house and walking about half a mile down the gravelly stretch of the unnamed road, we turned onto the property of one of our neighbors, Mr. Riley. I asked father what we were here for, and he told me he would answer when we got inside. We walked up to the doorway of Mr. Riley’s barn, which was probably the oldest building for miles around. But Mr. Riley kept it standing strong, and he was respected in the neighborhood for it. Father knocked on the giant double-pannel door in a funny pattern that almost sounded musical. It was opened, and a man allowed us in.

Father told me to look around while he spoke with someone. I shivered as a cold wind blew through the old gaps in the walls; this place really was coming apart. I petted one of the horses in the stable in a corner and took a seat in one of the two rows of benches set up. At the head of the rows, there was an elevated stage, with a simple wooden lectern. A man dressed in regular clothing with a black blazer stood next to it, and he was talking with my father. He wasn’t an intimidating or terribly impressive man, but something about his calm, slightly round face, his neat head of brown hair, and his confident stance made him seem powerful in a sense.

I looked around, and noticed other people, many of them our neighbors, were starting to funnel in, some sitting on the benches, some talking in hushed tones, all of them armed with some type of gun or other. Was there a violent plan about to be made? I didn't want to be involved in any violence, I hated it.

After a few moments, I saw Stephanie, the girl who lived on the property next to mine. She was checking over her father’s rifle while he talked to the man in the black blazer.

“Stephanie!” I called, walking over to her.

“Oh, hi there Joseph!” She said. “I haven’t seen you here before, is this your first address?”

“Address? What are you talking about?”

“Your parents haven’t told you about it yet?” Stephanie gave me a perplexed look.

“About what? That everyone’s meeting here?”

Stephanie put the rifle down on a bench and looked up at me. Despite being a year older, I still had several inches on her. “You really don’t know why we’re here?”

“No. Is this a religious service? Why aren’t the Grizzlies supervising?” The Russian enforcers in their brown burlap coats and multi-pocketed cargo pants were present at every public gathering.

“Don’t talk about the Grizzlies here. They don’t know about this place, or this meeting, and they aren’t supposed to,” Stephanie said forcefully.

“Why? What is it?” I persisted.

The man at the lectern pounded on it, and everyone took their seats. I sat next to Stephanie, as she nodded to the man on the stage. “Just listen to him, it’ll all be clear,” she told me.

The man in the black blazer looked over the faces of everyone on the benches, nodding to both of the rows. Another man, who I recognized as Mr. Riley, stood at attention at one corner of the stage. “Thank you all for coming here this afternoon. We know that much is risked in gathering today, and your loyalty is appreciated. Let us all turn our ears to delegate Ingels.” He turned around to face the stage and nodded his head.

“Thank you, Thomas,” the man said. He must have been delegate Ingels. “All please rise for the presentation of the colors,” He declared.

I stood with everyone else as two men on the stage behind delegate Ingels stretched out a flag I had never seen before. It had a big blue square with white stars, and red and white stripes. It looked nothing like our country’s flag of a white bear shape on a field of brown. Everyone saluted this red, white, and blue flag, and Stephanie elbowed me in the side before I got the hint.

“Bugler, sound off.” Delegate Ingels ordered. At the side of the stage stood James, Mr. Riley's son. He raised a strange brass instrument to his mouth and played a musical tune, during which we all stood erect and gave our attention to the flag. When he was finished, the flag was folded by its bearers and taken offstage, while Ingels stepped up to the lectern.

“For life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness,” he said. The crowd copied his words.

“My friends, as we gather here this Saturday in Thomas Riley’s barn, let us remember the cause of our gathering, and our lost rights as Americans,” Ingels said.

I wasn’t sure what he was talking about. I’d heard some kind of talk about what America was like before the Russians were here, but they’d been here all my life, so I didn’t know we had lost anything. I didn't even know we had anything to lose before. Weren't the Russians doing a great job of running this country? That was what I had always thought.

Ingels went on to talk about current events: things like the hockey league standings, which the Washington Capitols were leading, the state of production of all the farms in the area, and the news that had aired the previous night on TV. He allowed an open forum discussion, and some people offered their own insights. I kept quiet and listened.

After some time, one of the crewmen handed Ingels a leather-bound book. He opened it to a marked page near the front cover and laid it on the lectern. “A passage from the Declaration of Independence,” he said, and read from the book.

“Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. --Such has been the patient sufferance of these colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government.”

When he finished, I was surprised at how well I understood the old English syntax. He was talking about how when a government is around for a long time, it shouldn’t be changed, unless it is in the best interests of the people. I felt very inspired hearing it. Although, I didn’t have much time to reflect before he put the book away, and the crowd stood again.

Mr. Riley opened a smaller book and flipped a few pages. “All who are able, please join in our following song ‘Battle of Hymn of the Republic.’” They all sang a song that I didn’t know the words to. I wished I could have joined in, but I was content to listen to lively tune.

“Don’t worry, you’ll learn them eventually,” Stephanie whispered to me after it was over and we sat down again.

Ingels read another passage from what he called “the U.S Constitution,” and then he brought out three metal bowls and laid them on the stage.

“May life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness be strong in you all,” he said to the crowd.

“And you as well,” the crowd answered.

“Today’s vote is concerning which family will receive a personal portion of this month’s corn harvest,” Ingels explained. “The candidate families are the Coopers, the Smiths, and the Walters.”

Three men: Mr. Cooper, Mr. Smith, and Mr. Walters, all stood and went to stand behind a bowl on the stage. One of the stage crew passed a piece of paper and a pencil to each of the people on the benches. I didn’t understand what was going on, but Stephanie told me to write the name of the family who I thought should get the extra corn. I knew that grandmother Walters had been ill lately, and he had had to take time away from work for her, so I wrote his name and put it in the bowl he stood in front of.

After all the votes were cast, Ingels counted them up and announced that Mr. Walters had the most votes. He was congratulated by the other families, and the crowd applauded for him. After he took his seat, Ingels spoke again.

“As was granted to us by our fathers’ forefathers, let us remember our right of democratic privilege, and vote for our opinions on equal ground,” he said. The audience nodded agreement at irregular intervals.

“Now, let us recite our democratic goal in the words that our founders gave us,” Ingels declared. The audience stood and spoke with him. I noticed the action, and quickly stood as well, but just listened.

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and to secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and to our posterity, do ordain and establish this constitution for the United States of America.”

I didn’t know what those words were, or what they meant, but everyone else seemed to, so I regarded them with respect.

“The address is ended, go in glory and the pursuit of happiness.,” Ingels said. He stepped down from the lectern and the crowd broke its structure. Several men and women went around to greet and speak to each other, a few went to speak to Ingels, and several of the other teenagers took their guns and went out to hunt. I didn't want to leave though, the past half hour was the most fascinating thing I had ever experienced.

I looked around for Stephanie and saw her among the people talking to Ingels. I walked over, and she nodded to me. “Oh, delegate Ingels, this is my friend Joseph. He’s Mr. McFarlane’s son. This is his first address,” she said.

“Well it’s good to have you here Joseph,” He held out his hand, and I shook it.

“It’s a very interesting thing you do here,” I still wasn't sure what to make of everything.

“Isn’t it? It’s my job, and the job of all delegates to help us Americans remember our rights," he explained.

“What rights are those?”

Stephanie sighed, but Ingels chuckled as he realized that my parents hadn’t told me anything. He started from the beginning, and explained everything: The great power of the United States (I wasn't quite sure what he meant by states), the Russian invasion and conquest, and our current communist regime that took away our democratic rights. I was fascinated, and even more so when Ingels told me that addresses like this were forbidden because they were kept secret from the Grizzlies and that they promoted rebellious morale.

Once he was done explaining, I said goodbye to Stephanie, and went home with my parents. They asked me what I thought of the address, and I said I liked it a lot. They were both pleased, and once we were home, they let me have the day off from chores. I was excited, and immediately grabbed my journal and went out on the back porch of our ranch house to write about the day.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

For several months, we went to addresses led by delegate Ingels every Saturday. It was never held in the same place two weeks in a row, in order to keep it discreet. The thrill of wondering where we would go next was always fun. On the day of my 15th birthday, Ingels offered a song for me during the address. He became my idol figure. I wanted to be a delegate like him when I was older.

My 15th birthday was the day I really became aware that a revolution was in the making, and that the Russians had no tolerance for insurrection.

I had been out hunting all evening. A lot of birds were out, and I'd managed to bag a few pheasants before turning to head home. I turned on my flashlight to better navigate my way through the thick collection of trees, but clicked it off when I broke the tree line and saw a bright yellow light ahead. I had to squint for a moment as my eyes adjusted to the new brightness.

I stopped; the light was coming from our road. That wasn’t right; nobody had any lights that bright. I dropped my flashlight and ran towards my farm. Curiosity, and a bit of anxiety were creeping into my head. When I broke out of the trees, I had to do a double-take on what I saw. Our barn was on fire, and the horses and cows were running around in frenzy. I kept low, away from the crazed animals, and continued walking closer to the house. I worked up my courage to look inside the house, took a big gulp, and saw my father through window. His hands were up, and he was facing a man in a brown coat with an automatic weapon trained on him. I almost vomited when I saw it. The Grizzlies were here. I wanted to cry, but I didn't; I couldn't. My mind still hadn't processed everything that was happening.

I saw my father look directly at me, and the look in his eyes said “get out now. I’ll be okay.” I wanted to rush inside and help him, but I knew I had to obey, so I ran. I went down the road, keeping to the left side. Grizzlies were running all over the farms on the right side of the road, and I kept my distance from them. I ran across as fast as I could to Mr. Riley’s barn, almost tripping on the rough gravel surface of the road. The farm house was on fire, and the blaze was too bright to look directly at. But the barn was untouched. I snuck in through an open door, and I found Ingels and a few other men gathering with guns. As they heard footsteps, they raised their weapons.

“No! It’s Joseph McFarlane, don’t shoot!” I said, throwing my hands into the air. They lowered their guns in the candlelight, and I walked up to them. “What’s happening, delegate Ingels?” I asked.

“The Grizzlies found out about our addresses being held here. They’re looking for the delegate,” Ingels said.

“What? What do they want with you?”

“Probably names. Names of conspirators of revolution."

“What will you do?” I asked him.

“I’m going to go out fighting for my country, just like my father did years ago.” He cocked his gun. “Alright men, we’re going to keep to the shadows and take the long shots. If you’ve got multiple targets, wait for my signal. Let’s move out.”

“What about me? Should I come too?” I asked.

Ingels shook his head. “No Joseph, this is even more dangerous that the addresses. I know you’re a good shot, but I don’t want to risk your life more than I have. Find your friends and hide until we’ve driven the Grizzlies off.” The man who had only this morning worn a powerful black blazer now was dressed in simple farm clothing. He looked every bit like a true militiaman.

“Good luck Mr. Ingels,” I said.

“Kyle. It’s Kyle Ingels,” he corrected me. With a grin and a nod, he and the other men dashed out of the barn and across the road.

I cocked my rifle; the bolt felt like a thousand pounds of led to push and pull. Several houses and barns were now burning, and I could here many loud shouts in Russian and English. Bitter smoke flowed into my nostrils, and began to draw tears from my eyes. No shots had been fired yet, so I had hope.

As I walked away from the Riley farm down the road, a few yards further, I saw a Grizzly pushing a man forward, and kicking him when he fell to the ground. Another behind him was half-leading half-dragging a woman by the arm. Even from 20 or so yards away, I could hear her sobs and cries, pleading for her life, and her husband's.

I thought I could take them both, and raised my rifle to look down the sights, but I lowered it again when I saw two more Grizzlies walk up behind the first two. I ducked down behind a tractor and peeked out to watch what was happening. The man on the ground hopped up and clocked his assailant on the side of the head, then pulled a knife and stabbed him with it. As he was falling, the man slashed at the two other Grizzlies, but they grappled with him and subdued him as the one holding the woman pushed her away, pulled a handgun and shot her in the back. I could have sworn I heard the crack of her spine under the crack of the shot.

"No! No!" The man shouted, fighting and squirming in his captors' grip. The Grizzly he'd stabbed was dead, but the third who'd shot the woman pushed him onto the ground and kicked him. As he fell, a girl came running out from behind the house a few yards away from them, but stopped as she saw the commotion. My knees buckled and I almost fell out from behind my cover when I saw her.

"Stephanie! Run! Get out of here!" The man, her father, called out to her, sputtering as the Grizzly kicked him again. The two who were previously holding him turned and shot into the woods as Stephanie bolted away from them. I felt tears entering my eyes as I saw the Grizzlies hurdle over her mother's corpse and run after her.

Her father tried to crawl away, but the remaining Grizzly flipped him over with his black boot. He took his main weapon, a high-gauge shotgun and aimed it at his face. Even through all the fire, screaming in English and Russian, and collapsing buildings, I heard his words clear as if I'd said them myself.

"Where's your star-spangled banner now?" He said, and blasted him with three shotgun shells.

Rage ignited in my stomach as fiery as the houses around me. I raised my rifle and shot four bullets into the lone Grizzly's back. His scream of agony as he died filled me with gratification as I ran further down the road.

I was suddenly grabbed from behind and pulled into a shed a few yards away. My assailant spun me around, and I had to take a moment to get my bearings back. Once I recovered from my dizziness, I looked up, and was confronted with the iron-masked face of a Grizzly soldier. He was tall, but not bulky. He looked maybe about 18 or 20. His carbine rifle wasn’t pointed at me, but at the ground.

He helped me up off my butt and put a hand over my mouth before I could scream. I tried to bite his hand, but they were protected by thick gloves. I was hyperventilating, because the strong cover of his hand made it hard to breathe. I could see the brown of his jacket and pants even in the dark. However scared I had been when father got angry at me, this was a hundred and six times worse.

He spoke in a lightly accented voice. “Keep quiet and follow me if you want to live,” he said. He opened the door of the shed and took off across the open pitch behind the Riley barn. I was scared to death, and I didn't trust him at all, but I followed him anyway. It was better than the alternative of running and getting shot. After a minute or so of running, we crossed the street and ran into the woods. He led me along several half-blazed trails between the trees, and eventually he hopped down into a trench. I followed his lead.

He looked at me sternly. Only his eyes were visible through the holes in his iron mask. “Wait here,” he commanded, and hopped back out of the trench.

I was three times as confused as I had been during my first address. I had no idea what was happening. I knew the Grizzlies were here, but I didn’t know why one had told me to come here, or how they had found out about our addresses. I shook off the shock as best I could and walked along the trench. It was about four feet deep, so I crouched to stay hidden. As I came to a fork, I took the left branch and was nearly penetrated by a bullet passing a few inches away from my right shoulder.

“It’s Joseph! Don’t shoot, don’t shoot!” I said. I took a gamble revealing my name, but I felt that I was about to die anyway, since the Grizzly brought me here.

“Joseph?” A voice called out. I was more than relieved to hear it.

Stephanie ran out of the shadows and hugged me tightly. “Oh, thank god you’re okay!” She said.

“Thank god you’re a lousy shot," I joked, hugging back.

“Did Marko bring you here, or did you find it yourself?”

“I don’t know who Marko is, but a Grizzly brought me here and told me to wait."

“That’s Marko. He’s on our side, don’t worry. Follow me.” She led me down the path in the trench to a sort of bunker made in the ground. Three other teens from the neighboring farms were there was well. I recognized them all: Tanner and Kara Cooper, and Lewis Smith. They all greeted me as I entered with Stephanie.

“What’s going on around here?” I asked.

“Our families are involved in a resistance plot,” Tanner said to me. “Because we’re so close to a major industry city, the Grizzlies were already on high alert. Someone turned traitor, and now they’re raiding the area looking for delegate Ingels.”

I had never known that my parents were involved in any kind of resistance. I’d heard historically of failed attempts by rebels to overthrow the Russian regime, but none had come close to success, and I figured no one could challenge them.

“So why are we here? Why did that Grizzly help to protect us?” I asked.

“He’s a resistance member too,” Stephanie said. “He’s been keeping the Grizzly patrols away from our area so we could have our addresses. He’s young, but he has a high standing. He’d a very good friend of delegate Ingels,” she explained.

I admired Stephanie infinitely in that moment. She'd just witnessed the death of her mother, and the brutal beating of her father. I could see that her green eyes were red around the edges, Her voice was dark and wavering, and she sniffled a few times when she spoke, but she kept it together. She refused to let herself be shaken by the chaos ensuing before us.

“Did you see Mr. Ingels? Is he okay?” Kara asked.

“I saw him and a few other men head out to fight off the Grizzlies. I don’t know how successful they’ll be,” I answered.

An explosion rocked the ground, and we all ducked into the bunker. Tanner looked out and was not pleased with the sight. “Mr. Riley’s barn is gone,” he said grimly.

I looked up to see if I could spot the remains, and I saw a Grizzly come running through the trees and towards us with a body draped over his back. He hopped down and entered the bunker, then he set the body down on the ground. I was heartbroken to see that it was Kyle Ingels. But I was relieved to see him sit up, cradling his arm.

“You’re shooting is a mite too good, Marko,” he said in a strained, but thankful voice.

“Your delegate’s men were gunned down. I had to shoot him in the arm and follow him into the woods to get him out alive,” Marko the Grizzly said. His lightly accented voice sounded metallic behind his mask.

“Well, Marko, you’ve done good tonight. Your service to the resistance is valued,” Ingels said to the young Russian.

“Do not thank me yet. We have to get moving. Children, your parents ordered me to bring you to safety, and I will. Come on.” Marko tied a bandage over the bullet wound he’d given Ingels and hefted the man onto his shoulders. The five of us followed him as he led us out of the trench and through the woods. I hadn’t heard any gunshots, and I wondered if my parents were okay. I didn’t have much faith though. I’d seen the Grizzly in my home, with his rifle aimed at my father.

And that was the night I really became a revolutionary. Marko would tell me in the morning that there were no survivors of the attack on our homes. I wasn't sad though. I didn't cry, like Kara, or stay silent in brooding, like Tanner, Lewis, and Stephanie. I was energized, filled with vigor and anger towards the Russian regime. I knew as we left our homes that night that all I wanted to do was free our country, and fly the American colors once more over a proud nation.
Last edited by HIGHWHITESOCKS on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:45 am, edited 13 times in total.
Would you kindly?

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:24 pm
psudiname says...

so i'm really liking this, and i'll be interested to see where it goes. i liked the premise, and I think it's pretty original and I think there's a lot you can do with it. the story is fast paced and exiting, just what a beginning needs to hook people in, but now you're challenge is charecter development. as the story begins in a conflict, it would be difficult to pause the action to explain the main charecters thoughts and feelings, but in later chapters more reflection will be needed. all in all it was a good beginning and and exciting story, so i'm looking forward to reading later chapters. P.S: dont be afraid to throw in some fancy vocabulary or creative similies.
your good friend,
---Psudiname
if anyone wants a review, post on my profile and I'll get to it in a couple days.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:53 am
Wolf says...

Here to review as promised! :) Starting with nit picks ...

HIGHWHITESOCKS wrote: I didn’t understand; it was Saturday afternoon, and no one went to school or worked after noon on Saturday.

Did you mean to say "worked in the afternoon on Saturday"? Also, 'after noon' should be just one word.

They had usually gone out about this time before, but they always left me at home.

Personally, I think this would be better as "They often went out at this time". It's up to you though.

I noticed that father slung his semi-auto carbine over his shoulder and give mother a revolver before we left.

I'm confused by the narrator's lack of emotion about this. Are they surprised that their parents are bringing weapons? Worried? Scared? Elaborate on this.

Walking down the road, I recognized the path. We were leaving our farm and walking along the main road towards town.

Are you seeing what I'm seeing here? ;)

Our neighbors’ small acre properties lined the right side, and a few were on the left as well, but mostly there was an open pitch of grass, and some woodland not far off in that direction.

Did you mean to say "patch"?

We walked about half a mile down the road and turned onto the property of one of our neighbors. I asked father where we were going, and he told me he would answer when we got there.

a) If they just turned onto their neighbor's property, why would she ask where they were going? :S
b) I think this would flow better as, "We had been walking for about half a mile before turning onto a neighbor's property".

The door opened, and he was allowed in.

He? Shouldn't it be "we", since they all went in?

Father told me to look around while he spoke with someone. So I took a look around the barn.

This feels unnecessary, as in the next sentence you are describing the barn's interior, so we already know the narrator is looking around the barn.

I looked around, and other people, many of them our neighbors, were starting to funnel in, some sitting on the benches, some talking in hushed tones, all of them armed with some weapon or other.

"Some weapon or other" sounds odd. Personally I think "some form of weapon" would work better.

After a few moments, I finally saw someone I recognized.

Wait - you've just said the people arriving were neighbors. How would the narrator know they were her neighbors if she didn't recognize them?

Stephanie, the girl who lived on the property next to mine was checking over her father’s rifle while he talked to the man in the black blazer.

There should be a comma after "mine".

“Address? What are you talking about?” I asked.

“Your parents haven’t told you about it yet?” Stephanie asked me.

“About what? That everyone’s meeting here?” I asked again, still confused about everything.

You can eliminate some of the repetition by changing this to:

“Address? What are you talking about?” I asked.

“Your parents haven’t told you about it yet?” Stephanie looked perplexed.

“About what? That everyone’s meeting here?” I asked again, still confused about everything.

Stephanie put the rifle down and looked up at me. Despite being a year older, she was several inches shorter than me.

Again with the repetition. It isn't too bad here, but I think it would be better if you changed the second sentence to "Despite being a year older, she was several inches shorter."

The Russian enforcers in their brown coats and multi-pocketed cargo pants were present at every public gathering. They were called the Grizzlies because of their all-brown dress.

I think you can get rid of the first 'brown', because you're telling us their clothing is brown in the next sentence. Also, I feel like there should be a comma after 'enforcers' and another one after 'pants'.

“Don’t talk about the Grizzlies here, they don’t know about this place, or this meeting, and they aren’t supposed to.” Stephanie said forcefully.

I think this would flow better if you put a period after 'here' instead of a comma. Also, there should be a comma after 'supposed to'. ;)

“Just listen to him, it’ll all be clear.” She said.

Either change the period after 'clear' to a comma, or get rid of 'she said'.

“Thank you, Thomas.” The man said. He must have been delegate Ingels. “All please rise for the presentation of the colors.” He declared.

Comma after 'Thomas', and either get rid of 'he declared' or put a comma after 'colors'.

“Bugler, sound off.” Delegate Ingels ordered.

Comma after 'off'.

Mr. Riley’s son, James who was at the side of the stage, raised a strange brass instrument to his mouth and played a musical tune, during which we all stood erect and gave our attention to the flag.

This sentence is kind of awkward. I would suggest changing it to: James, Mr Riley's son, raised a strange brass instrument to his mouth and played a musical tune, during which we all stood erect and gave our attention to the flag.

“For life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” He said.

Comma after 'happiness'.

The crowd repeated him.

This is really a matter of personally opinion, but I think you should change 'repeated' to 'echoed'.

“My friends, as we gather here this Saturday in Thomas Riley’s barn, let us remember the cause of our gathering, and our lost rights as Americans.” Ingels said.

Comma after 'Americans'.

After some time, Ingels took a book that one of the stage crewmen handed to him, opened it to a page and laid it on the lectern.

Should be: After some time, one of the stage crewmen handed Ingels a book. He opened it to a page near the center (or end, or beginning) and laid it on the lectern.

“A passage from the Declaration of Independence.” He said, and read from the book.

Comma after 'Independence'.

I didn’t have much time to reflect before he put the book away, and the crowd stood.

Maybe it should be "and the crowd stood once again"?

“All who are able please join in our following song ‘Battle of Hymn of the Republic.’”

There should be a comma after 'able'.

“Don’t worry, you’ll learn them eventually.” Stephanie whispered to me after it was over and we sat down again.

Comma after 'eventually'.

“May life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness be strong in you all.” He said to the crowd.

Comma after 'all', or get rid of 'he said to the crowd'.

“And you as well.” The crowd answered.

Comma instead of period after 'well'.

“Today’s vote is on which family will receive a personal portion of this month’s corn harvest.” Ingels explained.

Comma after 'harvest'. Also, I think it should be "today's vote is about" instead of "on".

Three men, Mr. Cooper, Mr. Smith, and Mr. Walters all stood and each went to stand behind a bowl on the stage.

I think it should be: Three men - Mr. Cooper, Mr. Smith, and Mr. Walters - all stood behind a bowl on the stage.

I didn’t understand what was going on, and Stephanie told me to write the name of the family who I thought should get the extra corn.

Maybe change it to "I didn't understand what was going on, until Stephanie told me"

“As was granted to us by our fathers’ forefathers, let us remember our right of democratic privilege, and vote for our opinions on equal ground.” He said.

Comma after 'ground'.

The rest of the audience nodded agreement at irregular intervals.

Shouldn't it just be "the audience"? :S

“Now, let us recite our democratic goal in the words that our founders gave us.” Ingels declared.

Should be a comma after 'us', or get rid of 'Ingels declared'.

“The address is ended, go in glory and the pursuit of happiness.” Ingels said. He stepped down from the lectern and the crowd broke from their structure.

Might sound better as: "The address is ended, go in glory and pursuit of happiness." Ingels stepped down from the lectern and the crowd broke out of its structure.

I looked around for Stephanie and saw her with the people talking to Ingels.

I think it would sound better/more professional as: saw her amongst the people talking to Ingels.

“Oh, delegate Ingels, this is my friend Joseph. He’s Mr. McFarlane’s son. This is his first address.” She said.

“Well it’s good to have you hear Joseph.” Ingels said to me. I shook his hand as he held it out.

“It’s a very interesting thing you do here.” I said, still not sure what to say.

“Isn’t it? It’s my job, and the job of all delegates to help us Americans remember our rights.” He said to me.

In all of the bolded areas, there should be a comma instead of a period. Also, it seems kind of repetitive (I said, he said), so you should try getting rid of "Ingels said to me" (in italics). You could also do without the last "He said to me" (also in italics).

“Well it’s good to have you hear Joseph.”

Should be 'here'. ;) Also, add a comma before Joseph.

So he explained to me everything. The history of the United States, the Russian invasion and conquest, and our current communist regime that took away our democratic rights.

This sentence seems kind of blunt. :/ Try changing it to "He explained everything to me:

Once he was done explaining to me, I said goodbye to Stephanie, and went home with my parents.

I think it should just be "once he was done explaining". Also, the comma after Stephanie is unnecessary.

He became an idol figure for me.

Might flow better as: He became my idol.

I wanted to be a delegate like him when I got old enough.

I think it would sound better as either 'got older' or 'was old enough'.

It was good, and I got four pheasants before it started getting dark.

'It was good' seems kind of vague/too general. Try changing it to: It was a success; I caught four pheasants before it started getting dark.

That wasn’t right, nobody had any lights that bright.

Comma should be a semi-colon, I think.

“What’s happening delegate Ingels?” I asked.

There should be a comma after 'happening'.

They’re looking for the delegate.” Ingels said.

Wouldn't he just say, "they're looking for me"?

“Probably names. Names of conspirators of revolution.” He said.

Either get rid of 'he said', or switch the period after 'revolution' to a comma.

“I’m going to go out fighting for my country, just like my father did years ago.” He said. He cocked his gun.

I think you should just get rid of the 'he said' here.

“No Joseph.

“Good luck Mr. Ingels.” I said.

“Kyle. It’s Kyle Ingels.” He said.

a) There should be a comma after 'No'.
b) Comma after 'luck' and either get rid of the 'I said', or switch that period to a comma. ;)
c) Comma after 'Ingels'.

No shots had been fired yet though, so I had hope.

'Though' sounds unprofessional - try changing it to: However, no shots had been fired yet, so I had hope.

His carbine rifle wasn’t pointed at me, but at the ground.

He helped me up off the ground and put a hand over my mouth before I could scream.

You can eliminate the repetition by getting rid of 'the ground' in the second sentence.

He spoke in a light-accented voice.

I think it should be: He spoke in a lightly accented voice.

“Keep quiet and follow me if you want to live.” He said.

Comma after 'live', not period.

He led me along several half-blazed trails between the trees, and eventually he hopped down into a trench. I hopped down as well.

This sounds weird ... try 'I followed' or something similar to avoid the repetition of 'hopped'.

“Wait here.” He commanded, and hopped back out of the trench.

Comma after 'here'.

As I came to a fork, I took the left branch and was nearly penetrated by a bullet passing a few inches away from my right shoulder.

Try 'by' instead of 'away'.

I took a gamble revealing my name, but I felt that since the Grizzly said I would be safe here, it was okay.

Why does he trust the Grizzlies? They burned down his house and his neighbors' houses!

“Oh thank god you’re okay!” She said.

Comma after 'oh'.

“Thank god you’re a lousy shot.” I joked.

Comma, not period (after 'shot').

“I don’t know who Marko is, but a Grizzly brought me here and told me to wait.” I explained.

Comma after 'wait'.

I recognized Tanner and Kara Cooper, and Lewis Smith.

Maybe you should say "I recognized them as".

“Our families are involved in a resistance plot.” Tanner said to me.

Should be a comma, not a period, after 'plot'.

Someone ratted them out, and now they’re raiding the area looking for delegate Ingels.”

Shouldn't it be "ratted us out", since their parents/they are involved in the plot?

“He’s a resistance member too.” Stephanie said. “He’s been keeping the Grizzly patrols away from our area so we could have our addresses. He’s young, but he has a high standing. He’d a very good friend of delegate Ingels.” She explained.

a) Comma after 'too'
b) Comma after 'Ingels'

“I saw him and a few other men head out to fight off the Grizzlies. I don’t know how successful they’ll be.” I answered.

Should be a comma after 'be'.

“Mr. Riley’s barn is gone.” He said grimly.

Comma after 'gone'.

At that moment, a Grizzly came running through the woods with a body draped over his back.

How can the narrator see this if the trench is 4 feet below the ground? :S

He hopped down into the trench and entered the bunker, then he set the body down on the ground.

The second 'down' isn't necessary.

But I started breathing again as he sat up, cradling his arm.

When did they stop breathing? Maybe you should say 'I heaved a sigh of relief' instead.

“You’re shooting is a mite too good, Marko.” He said in a strained, but thankful voice.

Comma after 'Marko'.

“Your delegate’s men were gunned down. I had to shoot him in the arm and follow him into the woods to get him out alive.” Marko the Grizzly said. His lightly accented voice sounded metallic behind his mask.

“Well, Marko, you’ve done good tonight. Your service to the resistance is valued.” Ingels said to the young Russian.

In both the bolded areas, the period should be a comma.

“Do not thank me yet. We have to get moving. Children, your parents ordered me to bring you to safety, and I will. Come on.” Marko tied a bandage over the bullet wound he’d given Ingels and hefted the man onto his shoulders. The five of us followed him as he led us out of the trench and through the woods. I hadn’t heard any gunshots, and I wondered if my parents were okay. I didn’t have much faith though. I’d seen the Grizzly in my home, with his rifle aimed at my father. Marko would tell me in the morning that there were no survivors. But I knew as we left our homes that all I wanted to do was free our country, and fly the American colors once more over a proud nation.

a) This part seems kind of chunky; try breaking it up into separate paragraphs.
b) The bolded sentence confuses me - how can he know this?

Well, it's 1AM where I am, so I'll post my general comments tomorrow!
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:46 am
ErBear says...

Well, psudiname and Wolf said everything I have to say!

Once again, remarkable story, good word choice, yada yada yada.

I would suggest breaking the story into two parts, or maybe putting more paragraphs/spaces between paragraphs for readability. I find most people, especially me, have trouble reading big clumps of text.

Can't wait for the rest! :)

Taylor :pirate3:
~formerly Ilovebubbles123

"There's only one thing
to do
three words
for you.
Ooh, I love you.

There's only one way
to say
those three words
that's what I'll do.
Ooh, I love you. "

For you.

94 Reviews

Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:06 pm
HIGHWHITESOCKS says...

Thanks for the helpful input everyone! I hope to hear more from you in the future, and if you have any ideas on how to proceed, please share!
- SOCKS
Would you kindly?

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:23 am
Wolf says...

Part Two!

GENERAL COMMENTS:

1. I've noticed you repeatedly make the same grammar mistake with your dialogue. For example:
[Incorrect] "Hello." He said.
[Correct] "Hello," he said.

2. More on the dialogue: you fall into a "he said, he asked, he answered, she said" sort of trap a few times. For example:

“The Grizzlies found out about our addresses being held here. They’re looking for the delegate,” Ingels said.

“What? What do they want with you?” I asked.

“Probably names. Names of conspirators of revolution,” he said.

See how there's a he or I [insert word like asked or said here] after every bit of dialogue? You can eliminate this sort of thing by trying something like ...

“What? What do they want with you?”

“Probably names. Names of conspirators of revolution.”

This way you don't have as much of it, but you can still tell who's talking.

3. Lack of emotion. I often found myself wondering "and what does the narrator think/feel about this?" during the story. Especially at points like when he saw his house being burnt down - wouldn't this be just a little bit upsetting? Work on adding the narrator's thoughts and emotions to the story; it'll give the character depth and make it both more relatable and believable.

4. Lack of description. Like psudiname said, don't be afraid to use metaphors & similes to enrich your story. I had trouble seeing this in my mind's eye because you rarely provided a description ... I think it could really benefit from some sensory imagery (adding details from all the senses). Try showing the reader if it's hot or cold inside the barn, what colour Stephanie's hair is, the smell of smoke. Little things like that will help make the reader feel like they are actually there. :)

Overall, I think this has a lot of potential. It's a really good framework; you just need to add emotion and description and some characterization. I'm usually not a fan of historical fiction but this seems to be an exception ;) I'll be looking forwards to the next part - let me know when you post it!

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh in my critiques :( Just trying to help.

Keep writing!
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

94 Reviews

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:05 am
HIGHWHITESOCKS says...

Wolf -

The tone isn't too emotional, because it's meant to be nostalgic. The narrator is remembering something, but I see what you mean, maybe I should add some more emotion into it. And I don't want to describe too much, cause I don't want to ramble (a great problem of mine in real life as well). I try to let the characters talk for me, and it sounds weird if the narrator starts talking about little things that they wouldn't really care much about (hair color, clothing, weather, etc.). But I see where you're coming from. I'll try to follow my own advice to psudiname, haha. Thanks so much for the input! It's much appreciated! (If you could maybe advise on what direction to go in, I'd appreciate that too!) You weren't too harsh, but it is always kind of bittersweet hearing the flaws of your work. But I am proud of this story, and I want it to be its best, so I'll keep working on it!

- SOCKS
Would you kindly?

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:35 pm
canislupis says...

Hello! Sorry this took so long. Now, I think Wolf covered the nitpicks already, so I'm not going to go here.

I like this story--the idea of a resistence movement against Russians occupying America is interesting, to say the least, and I can see you've put a lot of work into worldbuilding.

As for the prose, it's a little dry. I think this can be easily fixed, however.

But there are a few major issues I saw.

1. Length

This is a prologue. You absolutely need it to grab peoples' attention, and keep it. This means you need tension and brevity. Emphasis on the second. I'm not just talking about literal length as in word count (though it is quite long). This is entirely an info drop--you're force feeding us information.

You said this is a memory/flashback type thing. Good--this can work well. But, given that, who thinks out a logical story like this? I certainly don't. When I think about things happening in the past, I do get scenes. But I see them as just that: scenes. Show things as they actually happen, and leave some stuff to our imagination. Flashbacks---flash is the key word. You mostly want to avoid a "this happened, then this happened" feeling.

For example, start in the room where the meeting is happening. Make the whole thing briefer, and then skip to another scene during the fight. More imagery, less telling. Everything you have should be absolutely necessary--if we can figure out what's happening on our own, you won't have to tell us.

Actually, I'm just gonna say it: you're telling too much instead of showing. There, I said it. >.< Still, it's true. It seems like you're trying to avoid telling by writing every little piece of dialogue out, making sure that your dumb as a doorknob readers understand everything perfectly. :P Instead this is just maing the whole thing drag on; instead, take some of the dialogue out and replace it with action.

With that said, you need more description. I don't mean this in the sense that you should add meaningless descriptions of the weather, etc. But if you do avoid the extra info, like I said earlier, you'll have more room to make the scenes vivid.

2. Emotion.

You already adressed this, but I'm going to say it anyway. The fact that this is a memory actually makes the emotion more important--we don't remember things we aren't emotionally involved in. We need to care.

A lot of this is about your main character; we really don't know anything about him, what he thinks, who he is. Part of this is ok in a prologue, but with this much of the narrative, we really should be feeling some sense of connection. Make sense?

3. Plot.

Let's look at what's happened. Basically, the MC goes to a meeting, and then the Grizzlies find out about it and start burning things down. The MC blunders into a barn where the resistence members are gathering, convinces them not to shoot him, and wants to join him, but they don't let him. After some confusing running around (in which nothing is shown) he is grabbed by a grizzly, who takes him somewhere (again, no idea what the surroundings are, which made it a little confusing) and tells him to wait. Then he gets back, and they were so worried about him. That was the night he joined the resistence.

Sometimes writing summaries helps me identify weaknesses in my stories. In this case, I think a layout like this:

1: In the meeting
2: in the barn with the others, seeing/smelling/hearing the fires
3. Fighting, then the Grizzly turncoat
4: the whole "that's how I became a resistence fighter" bit.

In a nutshell: Save details for later, and focus on emotion, action, description. And do it concisely (unlike this review) Easier said than done, but I have confidence in your abilities. :D I really do like this idea, and I can just see what it would look like with a bit of editing. Good luck, and if you have any questions/comments/ need another review, feel free to ask.

Lupis

94 Reviews

Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:29 pm
HIGHWHITESOCKS says...

Lupis -

I greatly appreciate your review, and I am constantly looking this over and fine-tuning it. I would like to address the point you've made about length though.
First of all, the entirety of the address is very important to the story, because it establishes the memoriam of the lost American rights, which is really what this story is all about. It's not just a shoot-em-up, force-the-invaders-out type of story, there's a real depth to the resistance movement here. So I put all the big points of the address in there for a reason. Now granted, I could trim the fluff and clean it up a bit, but the reading of the declaration, the presentation of the old colors, and the voting are all very important. Just making it known, but you are right, there's room for more description and emotion. I should let my characters and environment talk for me, instead of doing it myself so much. Thanks for the helpful words!
Also, about emotion, like I said, this is a nostalgic prologue, and I guess you're right, it is a lot to remember, but on days of such traumatic events (I think your house being burned down by the secret police qualifies as quite traumatic), you actually remember almost every detail about what happened on that day, and there's science to back me up on that, haha. But again, there is fluff that can be trimmed, and description that I can let my environment handle.
About the character, Joseph McFarlane is something of a mystery in this prologue. The biggest thing that becomes revealed about him in the prologue is his devotion to freeing America. But I think I can do some to show the little things about him and his personality. I'll do my best. If you could maybe review this story again in a week or so, once I've touched it up, and tell me how it is then, I'd be very grateful!
Thanks again for the kind words!
- SOCKS
Would you kindly?

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:25 pm
RachelW says...

Just a general comment: Loved the opening and from then on never stopped loving it! Fantastic!
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul -Invictus

94 Reviews

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:38 pm
HIGHWHITESOCKS says...

Thank you Rachel! :D I'm glad you enjoyed. If there's anything I can review for you, don't hesitate to ask!
- SOCKS
Would you kindly?

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:42 pm
Sunshine says...

Haha looks like everyone beat me to the nitpicking! Eh, that's ok nitpickying is not my type. You have a good, strong idea but it seems very...rehearsed. It lacks emotion. He just seems to be stating the events that happen and who the people are. Is he curious about the events? Is he passionate about his cause? He doesn't even seem sad or angry when he see's people being beaten. His personality also seems lacking. What kind of person is he? If you were to make a storybook template about him what would it say and how would you protray that? I also don't see why this is a prologue. It seems like a first chapter to me. If you put more of the boys past into the prologue it would seem more like a prolougue and ease the flow of the story. Glad to be of service!
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

94 Reviews

Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:16 am
HIGHWHITESOCKS says...

crafty -

Once again, it is a nostalgic prologue, so he's not as emotionally involved as he would be in real-time. Maybe it's not as clear that this is a flashback type of thing, so I could fix that. Also, since this is a nostalgic review, he is just remembering things, and he doesn't talk much about himself. I promise, he becomes more developed as the story progresses. But I guess I could keep looking and try to make it a bit more emotional, if possible. I'm doing my best here, but I appreciate the kind words!

- SOCKS
Would you kindly?

Reviews: 4
Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:20 pm
WalrusGumboot says...

First off, let me just say that I think this is really great, good premise, and the characters you've got have the potential to become very well developed. Nice work. However, I agree with the others on the subject of emotions, you keep saying you want it to be nostalgic, but the very definition, or at least as I've heard it, is to look back emotionally upon something. What you have, while not at all devoid of emotion completely, still could use a bit more. Also, on the subject of length, I don't think you really have to cut parts out all that much, just end the prologue at an earlier point. In fact, what works great for prologues is to end in the middle of a scene of tension, say, after this paragraph, or maybe a couple paragraphs after that:
I stopped; the light was coming from our road. That wasn’t right; nobody had any lights that bright. I dropped my flashlight and ran towards my farm. Curiosity, and a bit of anxiety were creeping into my head. When I broke out of the trees, I had to do a double-take on what I saw. Our barn was on fire, and the horses and cows were running around in frenzy. I kept low, away from the crazed animals, and continued walking closer to the house. I worked up my courage to look inside the house, took a big gulp, and saw my father through window. His hands were up, and he was facing a man in a brown coat with an automatic weapon trained on him. I almost vomited when I saw it. The Grizzlies were here. I wanted to cry, but I didn't; I couldn't. My mind still hadn't processed everything that was happening.

The rest could go right in the beginning of Chapter 1, instead of being part of the prologue. Other than length, IMO, the prologue is paced right, not too slow, but not so fast we can't understand what's going on.

Edit: Whoops, hadn't read the first chapter yet when I wrote this. Ignore what I said about dividing it into the first chapter.
Look at me still talking when there's science to do!
Spoiler! :
The cake is a lie. Snape killed Dumbledore. He isn't really dead. Data dies at the end. The little girl kills them all.

“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451