Reviews: 411
Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:25 pm
View Likes
BenFranks says...

Dirty Doves
Chapitre Un: From Whaddon to Leon
Part 1/2

August, 2012: Leon, France

It is an unusual tale of the mind that explains how I got to where I am now: surrounded by hordes of the brain-washed, side-by-side with a sister I had not spoken to in decades, and the soft red dawn of a new day over Leon.

It seems funny too, that someone like me should fall into such a situation; for I am, though much the expert of life’s true terrors, much the simpleton of the life’s true values. I feel that I should make clear, before telling you of my tale, that I am no hero. If anything, my dear audience, I am a villain: a villain of my own values; a villain of my own people; a villain of my own blood.

August 2003: Whaddon Village, United Kingdom

Meeting with my DCI meant an early awakening. He wasn’t a particularly friendly man. It seemed that where the DCI was a morning chap, I was an evening chap. This had caused much distaste in the choice of our out-of-hours meetings, and usually meant that I’d be at the mercy of him thanks to my lack of everything thought-related, pre-10am. It wasn’t because I was particularly lazy. I’d found myself take on many upon many evening shifts. This could’ve, quite plausibly, only been blamed on my loneliness and dependency on my 64 year-old Uncle George as the closest thing to a friend. But, truth be told, I never did get much done when I was not working, nor did I feel quite so at home.

I banged hard on the cherry-wooden door. It was marked with a heavy lead plaque; the DCI’s name was carved formally into its smooth tile-like surface. There had seemed to be a mandatory moment of silence between the knock of the DCI’s door and his response, regardless of the mood he was in or in how late you dared to be. In fact, this piece of hobby had always been amusing to me. It seemed as though a sketch of the DCI quickly zipping up the flies of his trousers and slapping his mouse to close down the Internet on his desktop computer was outplaying itself and, upon the seconds of a deep breath to bring himself back together, he’d respond. Right on cue.

“Come in,” he chanted in a muffled huff. I pushed open the door and found the DCI jump up from his chair, as he tended to do often, with surprise for his new guest. “Ah, Carter, it’s about time. Couldn’t get up, eh?”
“Not at all, Sir,” I grinned. “You know how beautifully the coffee works. I’m as awake as anyone could dream, never mind wish.”

Of course, we all know that such a thing was untrue. My eyelids were as heavy as they had been before the two consecutive coffees I’d drained back at home and were just as focused as when I’d been listening to PC Jones’ dreary stories, when I had been waiting on the cheap metal chairs parked outside the DCI’s cherry door. However, it was only natural that the DCI had caught on to this too.

“Very funny, Carter,” he replied in jest, obviously in a better mood than usual. “That kind of sarcasm will go down a treat in London. Just the kind of place it belongs.”

The DCI’s subtle distaste for my sarcastic remark didn’t put me in place as much as it would’ve done normally, for the mention of “London” had most definitely awoke me, more than any amount of wet caffeine would be capable of doing.

“London, Sir?”

“That’s right, Carter. You’re going off to make DS in the Great Capital. Christ knows why they want you in the Met, but they do. Perhaps they have a soft spot for dry humour night owls.”

I laughed. “The Met, Sir?”

“That’s what I said. Seems they want a village boy’s perspective on things up there. Perhaps you can bake come cakes for all the Juvenile lads that they’ve banged up for knife crimes – Or run ‘em a flower show.”

The DCI laughed from his gut at the oddness of what he was telling me. He hadn’t seen it as a promotion, from what I could tell, but more of a transfer that I was unlikely to accept. Perhaps the old fellow was right. I’d been a village DS for a good five years and the most I’d had the bad luck to enjoy was a couple of drunken OAPs causing havoc in the local Off-License. Not only would the city life be one hell of a change, but it’d most likely mean a lot more early mornings and talking to chaps just like the DCI. Yet, there seemed to be something undeniably attractive in the offer. I hadn’t known it then, but what I had been given in those short few minutes with one of the most frustrating people I’d ever had the pleasure of meeting was the best offer a man could get.

That thing was purpose.

“When do I go?” I said, interrupting his laughter and defeating all sound in the room to silence, besides the whistle of a photocopying machine behind the cherry door.

“I believe a Detective Inspector by the name of Wheatfield wanted to meet you at 1.15pm. Hence my early call.”

“Ah, that’s rather short notice.”

“It’s the Met, Carter. They couldn’t care less if you’d planned to go cookie-tasting on the day they happened to call you up – or if you’d prefer to sit around mentally preparing for the city life. To be perfectly honest, Carter, I don’t think the Met would give you two shots at an opportunity like this. Take it.”

“Pleasure to.”

Without a handshake, a look back or a single feeling of happiness or gratitude, I left through the cherry door of that office. On the way out, I had conflicted whether or not to return home and try to box up anything of sentimental value or need, but there would be nothing worthwhile to collect. The lack of aesthetically pleasing things wasn’t something that had generally crossed my mind, but it seemed that, through points in your life, a desire of attachment to a painting, album or photograph would’ve been a little pleasing. It wasn’t to be. I’d never kept a photo album, never had the will to formulate a diary nor had I ever purchased a painting.

My wallet, mobile phone and car keys were firmly dotted around the pockets of my tweed blue suit and there was always a spare can of deodorant lying around in my car that would suffice for any bad odours over the time consuming act of showering. With that bit of knowledge, it seemed most beneficial to drive straight to London and send any loose items up at a later time when I was settled. I had no idea how long the drive would take me and a glance at my wristwatch informed me the time was a quarter to ten. My inability to guess the time lapse of my journey was simply down to the lack of time I had spent out of the village. Everything I needed – or wanted – seemed perfectly present in the village and thus had always deemed an adventure out of it unnecessary. There was the odd occasion, however, when I’d drive down to Limington Cemetery and place a rose or two upon my Mother and Father’s grave. That too, was a journey of length.

As I clambered into the front of the car and fished my keys out of my suit and pressed them into the ignition I took in a deep breath. All of what had happened, so fast, hit me in one blow. It didn’t take my brain long to acknowledge the offer I’d taken up, the rudeness I’d been more than happy to display and the confidence of my striding to the car. There was a mildly tempting notion to go on back into the station and shake the DCI’s hand, or say good-bye to Jones. Yet, as the car revved to start, I found my will power to do so was crushed by the tempting thoughts of breakfast on the edge of the ring road out of Whaddon and on to London. After all, fulfilling my hunger would only naturally be more pleasing than listening to Jones or cringing at the sweat drenched handshake I’d experience with the DCI.

No. It was time to move on and chase my purpose.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:46 am
View Likes
captain.classy says...

Hey there best friend!

Ha, there we go using the same ol' name again! Don't worry, I have my favorite that I use in every story, too!

As always, this was very good. You have a smooth, clean voice that reminds me of novels written in the 30's or 40's. It's very proper, yet easy to understand. The only things I don't understand, however, are the strange things in this that are only in your country perhaps?. Your acronyms confuse me, and it seems like you have left a whole lot out that should be explained before you get to this point.

What I mean is that I think you should have a chapter before this - or maybe a prolugue? I don't know if this is supposed to be set in some alternate universe, or maybe things are just totally different where you live, but this confuses me. It's good to set stories so that a variety of readers can understand it. This means calling things by their most common names, and maybe not using acronyms that you won't be able to understand unless you lived in the UK.

All in all, this is an interesting paragraph. I think the second to last one - I think it's that one, he one where he describes the trip? - is a little out of place. It's confusing, and it makes your story jump around. You can describe how he thinks the trip should be in the next chapter, or the next part. You don't want your story to jump around that much. You want it to be the scene, how he feels about the scene, then the next part. At the moment, it's the scene, how he feels about it, the next part, how he feels about it, the next part. Just be sure to get in all you have to say about one incident before you move on to the next.

My overall impression is good about this. It's a little confusing, and I had to go back and read it twice to really get it. But that might just be me. I really like how you are incapable of writing choppy sentences. I wish I had that talent. xD

Stay frosty!

Classy

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:42 pm
Sins says...

Ben! I'm finally here!

I'm a hundred times sorry that this has taken me so long. I hope you don't mind... Things have just been a little hectic lately. I'm here now though, so it's always better late than never, I suppose.

I'll start by saying that I liked the prologueish part of this - the first two paragraphs, that is. It made me want to read on, so a big thumbs up for that, Benny boy. ;) The one thing I always love about your writing though Ben is that it's so... British. I really do love that. I can't even say 100% why it seems so British because it's not as though you fill the piece with British words, although I do like the odd insert of words like chap and lads. I think it's just the feel of the piece overall.

Another thing which is probably totally unrelated, but this reminds me of Hot Fuzz, the film. Just swapped around... :lol: I think it's because of the whole city cop turning into village cop, except in your case, it's the other way around. Sorry, that's totally unrelated...

Okay, the critique I have for you is what Classy said really. To me, this doesn't really feel like a beginning of a story. The content of it does, I suppose, because it's about a guy being told that he's moving, so that's beginingish. It just feels a bit... empty? right now. I think what I'd suggest is like Classy said, maybe add a chapter before this. You could show us your MC's current life, and how is job is treating him right now. That would be good because we could then see the difference between a job in the country and a job in the city. It would also be an opportunity to get to know your MC a bit better before we see his work life, and possibly life, changing. You'd get a lot of positives form it.

Another thing that I found was that, at times, this was a little dull. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this is boring. What I mean is that I think because it is the opener of your novel at the moment, you need to make sure that it's really gripping. The very beginning of this was good, so I'd like to maybe see you bringing a bit of that into the rest of it. I will hold my judgement because this is only the first part of the chapter. Therefore, for all I know, something big could happen at the end, forcing me to want to read on.

Negatives aside, I did enjoy this, Ben. I can see this going anywhere, so that's always a great thing. For me, there's nothing worse than reading an overly predictable piece of writing. Be sure to let me know when you post the next part of this, mate. I'm sorry I haven't been an awful lot of help, but I hope I was a little helpful!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:11 pm
BenFranks says...

Thanks for reading and commenting. (:

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:53 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Hi Ben! Here to review. ^^

It seems that I don't exactly need to get into the nitpicks since you have a very good understanding of punctuation and all. First of all, your beginning is quite entertaining. It's not a quick pull but it does the job and reels us into it. Normally, I wouldn't like the way you mentioned that it was tale of a villain but it makes me wonder how this connects to the title of your novel, "Dirty Dove" in which I actually love, by the way. At the same time, I wish you didn't dive straight into it, perhaps mention something lighter than a 'villain' of some sort, something that makes him question himself on which side he stands on. Wouldn't it be more fun if we thought he was a good guy and found out that he was something rather different? That is just my opinion on it, anyway.

For the first chapter, I was left rather bored. I found the beginning interesting but after that it just sizzled out a bit. The plot was introduced casually but it was bit...slow. I'd like the first chapter to something rather gripping and a page turner but it wasn't. In fact, as both Skins and Classy mentioned, your use of acronyms could confuse readers into wondering exactly what they mean which could be a reason why I felt lost and confused everything they were mentioned. DCI, means either detective chief inspector or Director of central Intelligence (I'm guessing Director). One of those, right? And DS means Bureau of Diplomatic security, yes or no? (I had to look them up and that's not a good thing.) If just once, you could mention the full name of it, that would be just fine because then us less government educated people would know what you were talking about when you said DCI and DS instead of picturing an kid playing Pokemon on a Nintendo device. -__-

Anyway, as far as your writing goes, you have a solid foundation it seems. You also look like you know where you're headed with this story. Your characterization is wonderful and the voice is strong with an edge of humor and cleverness. Maybe the beginning is a little slow to open up, but hopefully it will pick up. What you need to do is connect to the right readers, ones who are interested in this sort of plot that will continue to follow it. I usually don't read many novels with government thingys (poor choice of words) but I do watch movies, yes I'm aware it's not the same thing but it's somewhat similar. I'll be glad to read more of this if you decide to post it up, just shoot me a message or something. Your title and introduction is enough to capture my attention so I might stick around for this one.

All in all, good job and I hope I helped some.
-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:17 am
Yuriiko says...

Ash: Pokemon, I choose you!

Me: *jumps out of the shell* Yuriiko Blast!

Hello Ben!

Here to review. :3

First of all, when I noticed that you requested a review, I felt intimidated, and how much more to say with the people who critiqued before me. I mean, talk about greenies! lol.

So I should perhaps shut my mouth and go on to the business.

I agree with the critiques before me, I don't think I still need to do a line-by-line review since you have written this very well. There are no awkward phrases, misspelled words or grammatical errors I have seen so far, and the pace is flowing smoothly. Your main character is good, thoughts are well-expressed and developed, so I think you deserve a fruit cake for that. :D

However when it comes to the story plot, it left me unsatisfied, not that saying you don't have a good one, but maybe it hasn't left me all intrigued to really know the next scene. Perhaps it has something to do with your character's narration, or maybe with his voice, it sounds like there's no life to it. His reactions and dialogs seems a bit tedious, to the point that I think he's very calm about the moving part, like he's actually used to it already. I hope you understand the things I'm trying to say. Anyways, you do have a very good opening line, it actually hooked in my interest to read what comes after it but when I got to the middle part, suddenly it broke off that train of interest that should be still present in the part.

Also, as what Pink said, I too have to go across Google and search what really DCI stands for. I apologize maybe because I lack some knowledge about government stuffs, but you could have at least said the meaning of it on the spoiler or something like that. Not that I'm saying you should, but because some readers are not fully aware of it.

Overall, the story seems interesting. This has potential, Ben but spicing this up might makes this more interesting, noh? So I hope this helps and PM me for any questions. :D

Keep writing,
Yuriiko

P.S This is my 1001st post! so... yay! whoopy! :smt004
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time