The Law of the Street [R for language]

18 posts1, 2
User avatar
Gender Female
Points 17580
Reviews 798
Hi DirrtyMoney! No need to be shy; everyone here is ridiculously friendly. We don't bite (I'm pretty sure the only ones who do have had their shots anyway :P).

I don't see a lot of action-adventure pieces on YWS, so this was a rare treat. You have a couple of minor issues with awkward phrasing, but I think that will resolve itself with a few more edits on your part. My biggest gripe with this piece is dialogue. You've got a good setup here for an solid story, as long as you don't fall into the my-life-so-hard-and-I-am-so-hardened-by-my-unfortunate-circumstances cliche'. Writing characters with accents is extremely difficult to do well, so it's great that you've taken on the challenge. I don't think you're quite there, however. This is a pretty good article on writing accents and dialects; I think it might help put you in the right direction. The key is not to be too over-the-top. You can suggest an accent to much greater effect than smacking your reader in the face with it.

So good luck in your revisions! I hope that some of my comments have helped. :)
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 2165
Reviews 8
Thanks Areida, I really appreciate it
Frank Costello: When you decide to be something, you can be it. That's what they don't tell you in the church. When I was your age they would say we can become cops, or criminals. Today, what I'm saying to you is this: when you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference?
[The Departed]




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 24514
Reviews 130
Hey DM, coco here! :smt003
Thanks for your email - can't wait for more of this story!
*Coco
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕



This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes