z

Young Writers Society

Pirate Story Chapter 4. (Fixed Up A Bit)

Which Forum do you guys think this should go in?

Action/Adventure
No votes
Sci-Fi
No votes
Romantic Fiction
No votes

Total votes : 0

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:08 pm
Sweeney_Todd says...

Jack sat in his cabin, not really paying attention to what Jones was telling him. The last sentence that Jack understood had had something to do with Anne, and then Jack had tuned him out, thinking. It was obvious Jones was pushing the two of them together. Ever since they’d had a break in the winds and a pause in their pillaging, Jones had been insufferable. Still, the thought of Jones putting them in the same room and sending Anne to his cabin because he felt like it was beginning to irk Jack. They had been at sea for nearly a month now, and Jones had not let up yet. Eventually, Calico Jack became conscious of Jones’s voice calling his name, and was pulled back to reality. He looked up, and saw Jones watching him expectantly with a triumphant grin on his face. Jack barely glanced at him before replying, “What?" Jones stared at him. Jack repeated his halfhearted inquiry and Jones shook his head, “You ’aven’t 'eard a word I’ve said, ‘ave you, Jack?" Jack didn’t answer, and Jones gave him a rapid review of what he had been rattling on about. “I said, Captain," Jones said the title with contempt and indignation, “that the crew is startin’ ta get restless. They’re hopin’ we’ll go out on a venture soon."

Jack nodded, thinking. After a moment, he stood and walked out of his cabin and onto the deck, where the crew stood, waiting. Looking around, he began to bark orders, “Get ta work, you feckless pack of ingrates! Weight anchor! Haul those sheets!” he subsequently walked up the stairs leading to the Captain’s Wheel and turned the ship facing northwest. Jones appeared behind him and swallowed visibly. “Something wrong, sailor?” Jack addressed him formally, since they were out on deck. Jones fidgeted, and Jack snapped, “Out with it, man.” Jones blanched at Jack’s tone, but answered, “Where are we ‘eaded, sir?” Jack replied nonchalantly, “Master Jones,” he said. “We’ve a need ta travel upriver.”

All movement on the deck ceased. Everything and everyone was still and silent when Jones spoke out hopefully, “But a ‘need’ d’ya mean, a…a ‘triflin’’ need, say a…passing fancy?”

Jack looked at him blankly, a little annoyed, “No,” he said steely. “A resolute and unyielding need,” he finished, putting emphasis on each word, proving who was in charge. Looking around at the crew, he spat, “Get a move on, you scurvy dogs, or it’s the brig fer any man what wants ta question my orders!”

Up in the rigging, Anne watched the entire scene play out, silent. The crew was good at obeying orders the first time they were given and—as such—Jack proved to be a fairly lenient Captain, so why hesitate now? Once Jack had set course and disappeared inside his quarters again, Anne dropped down out of the rigging and came to rest by Jones, who nearly jumped out of his skin. “Mary, Mother of God!” he yelped as she landed.

Anne shook her head, “No, love. I’m Anne.” Jones gave her a wary look, but let the slight pass. Anne ignored his choice of words, “Where are we going?”

Jones shuddered, “ta see…’er…” Anne’s brows knitted together, “Who’s ‘’er’?” Jones’s voice was low, “Jocylen…” Realizing that this was going to take a while, Anne asked, “Who’s Jocylen?”Jones jumped again, amazed at Anne’s lack of understanding, “Gracious, girl! Don’t you know nothin’?”

“No,” Anne snapped, “Now answer my question.” Master Jones shook his head, but acquiesced, “She ‘takes in’ sailors what lose their way.” Now, Anne was interested. “Takes in?” she repeated, trying to get Jones to answer her questions with a longer response than just one word. To no avail. “She’s a witch,” he said, and she sighed. They were back to four-word answers again. After further questioning—to no avail—she left him at peace, deciding to solve the problem at its source. With a determined air, she headed into Jack’s cabin, Jones and the crew watching nervously as she vanished behind the mahogany doors and out of sight.

As she stood with her back to him, looking through the contents of the cabinet on the wall, his heart jumped, ‘I love you, lass,’ he thought desperately to the back of her head. She spun around and looked at him, surprised, “What?” Jack nearly jumped out of his skin. “I didn’t say nothin,” he replied, more than a little confused. “Yes you did,” Anne corrected pensively. “You must’ve…I ‘eard it clear as day,” She gave him a lost look. “It sounded like…’I love you, lass’…”

He faltered, momentarily terrified, but recovered sufficiently enough to reassure her, “Well, then that proves it wasn’t me,” he said, and then to himself, ‘I’d never get up the nerve ta say it to your face, anyway…’ Anne’s eyes widened, “Y-you what?” Jack looked at her, confused again. Then it hit him. She could hear his thoughts! He had forgotten that part of her Dhampyre condition included telepathy—the reading of people’s thoughts. Despite himself, he swore under his breath, sealing his fate.

Anne took a step closer, “You did think that…didn’t you?” She looked up at him, a bit of a blush showing on her tanned cheeks.

Jack swallowed nervously. The truth was out. Anne knew that he loved her. He swallowed, “A-aye…” he looked into her eyes momentarily and then immediately away again. “Anne, I—…” he stopped. It was no use. The words just wouldn’t come. Instead, his mind wandered over everything he couldn’t say—against his will. Anne was now standing right in front of him, looking up through those luxurious, full, black lashes. Jack had to swallow again.

Before he realized what he had done, his hand was positioned beneath her chin, and his lips were caressing hers, giving life to the frantic and uncontrollable devotion he had hidden from her for nigh on three years.

Anne wrapped her arms enthusiastically around his shoulders, hoping for time to freeze right at that moment, so she could hide it in her heart forever.

The kiss ended anyway, and Jack stammered out in a voice thick with emotion, “I—I love you, Anne.” Anne stared at him, taken aback. “Anne,” he seemed to plead with his eyes, added to by his desperate tone. “Anne—I love you more than words can say. For four years I’ve hidden that…” he dared to meet her gaze again. “Now that it‘s out I can take your rejection an’ be done wit’ it.”

Jack awoke from the dream suddenly, sitting straight up on his cot in the dark cabin. He heard the noise again, a small, faint clinking noise, like someone gently tapping two bottles together. Looking around in the dim light, he thought he saw movement by the cabinet against the wall. Abruptly, Anne spoke, “’S about time you got up, love,” she said. “I’ve been waitin’ for quite a while.” He started, “’Ow long ‘ave you been there?”

Anne sat down the two bottles of rum she had been holding, uncorking one of the bottles and pressing it to her lips for a drink. After a moment, she replied nonchalantly, “You’d best hurry up, pet. The crew’s itchin’ ta get this over with.” Jack repeated the query, and she finally answered, “About ‘alf an ‘our, why?”

“Why didn’t you wake me sooner, then?” he asked, not really ready to hear the answer she was going to give. She winked conspiratorially before answering, “Your dreams are too interesting to interrupt.”

Calico’s face was paler than the ship’s sails, he was sure, and he was suddenly thankful for the lack of decent lighting in the cabin. “Why, did I talk in my sleep?” to himself, he thought, ‘Please say no...’ Anne shook her head, “No, but I could tell they bothered you anyway. You may want to make mention of them ta Jocelyn, love,” She walked over to Jack and pushed the second bottle of rum into his hands before continuing. “An’, speakin’ which, get your effects. By wha’ th’ crew’s been sayin’ ‘bout ‘er, you may need ‘em.”
Last edited by Sweeney_Todd on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your journey began before you manifested in physical form here on this planet and will not cease when that physical representation of yourself is no longer capable of interacting with this world.
~Silver Ravenwolf (Wiccan Author)

Rick FTW!!!!!

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:21 pm
JabberHut says...

Hello, there! I was just browsing the forums and found your unreplied piece of work here. And now I think I see why. :D I'll give you an overall critique for some suggestions [of course, I don't have time for an in-depth critique either :lol:].

Paragraphs: They're big. They're long. They're overwhelming. When a reader sees this, they'll run away because of the huge block of text. Skimming through your story, here are some suggestions that will help you avoid such humungo paragraphos. :D

1. Each speaker gets their own paragraph. When Jack is speaking, he speaks in one paragraph [there are exceptions]. When it's Anne's turn to speak, she gets a new indented paragraph. Like so:

All movement on the deck ceased. Everything and everyone was still and silent when Jones spoke out hopefully, “But a ‘need’ d’ya mean, a…a ‘triflin’’ need, say a…passing fancy?” Jack looked at him blankly, a little annoyed, “No,” he said steely. “A resolute and unyielding need,” he finished, putting emphasis on each word, proving who was in charge. Looking around at the crew, he spat, “Get a move on, you scurvy dogs, or it’s the brig fer any man what wants ta question my orders!” Up in the rigging, Anne watched the entire scene play out, silent. The crew was good at obeying orders the first time they were given and—as such—Jack proved to be a fairly lenient Captain, so why hesitate now? Once Jack had set course and disappeared inside his quarters again, Anne dropped down out of the rigging and came to rest by Jones, who nearly jumped out of his skin. “Mary, Mother of God!” he yelped as she landed. Anne shook her head, “No, love. I’m Anne.” Jones gave her a wary look, but let the slight pass. Anne ignored his choice of words, “Where are we going?”

This should look like this:

All movement on the deck ceased. Everything and everyone was still and silent when Jones spoke out hopefully, “But a ‘need’ d’ya mean, a…a ‘triflin’’ need, say a…passing fancy?” [Jones was speaking]

Jack looked at him blankly, a little annoyed, “No,” he said steely. “A resolute and unyielding need,” he finished, putting emphasis on each word, proving who was in charge. Looking around at the crew, he spat, “Get a move on, you scurvy dogs, or it’s the brig fer any man what wants ta question my orders!” [Jack was speaking]

Up in the rigging, Anne watched the entire scene play out, silent. The crew was good at obeying orders the first time they were given and—as such—Jack proved to be a fairly lenient Captain, so why hesitate now? Once Jack had set course and disappeared inside his quarters again, Anne dropped down out of the rigging and came to rest by Jones, who nearly jumped out of his skin. “Mary, Mother of God!” he yelped as she landed. [At the end, Jack was finally speaking, but in reality, this was a new idea. I'll get to that in a moment]

Anne shook her head, “No, love. I’m Anne.” Jones gave her a wary look, but let the slight pass. Anne ignored his choice of words, “Where are we going?” [Anne was speaking]

I could have done more formatting to make it look pretty, but the basic idea for this suggestion: New paragraph for new speaker.

2. Each paragraph starts a new idea. You can't have Jack yelling at the crew and suddenly switch to Anne who's making her way to Jack. They're different ideas, different characters too, but different ideas. Paragraphs can be any length you want, but good transitions make great beginnings. ^^ This is a harder point to point out, but here:

Anne took a step closer, “You did think that…didn’t you?” She looked up at him, a bit of a blush showing on her tanned cheeks. Jack swallowed nervously. The truth was out. Anne knew that he loved her. He swallowed, “A-aye…” he looked into her eyes momentarily and then immediately away again. “Anne, I—…” he stopped. It was no use. The words just wouldn’t come. Instead, his mind wandered over everything he couldn’t say—against his will. Anne was now standing right in front of him, looking up through those luxurious, full, black lashes. Jack had to swallow again. Before he realized what he had done, his hand was positioned beneath her chin, and his lips were caressing hers, giving life to the frantic and uncontrollable devotion he had hidden from her for nigh on three years. Anne wrapped her arms enthusiastically around his shoulders, hoping for time to freeze right at that moment, so she could hide it in her heart forever. The kiss ended anyway, and Jack stammered out in a voice thick with emotion, “I—I love you, Anne.” Anne stared at him, taken aback. “Anne,” he seemed to plead with his eyes, added to by his desperate tone. “Anne—I love you more than words can say. For four years I’ve hidden that…” he dared to meet her gaze again. “Now that it‘s out I can take your rejection an’ be done wit’ it.”

This was monstrous! Try this:

Anne took a step closer, “You did think that…didn’t you?” She looked up at him, a bit of a blush showing on her tanned cheeks. [Anne was speaking]

Jack swallowed nervously. The truth was out. Anne knew that he loved her. He swallowed, “A-aye…” he looked into her eyes momentarily and then immediately away again. “Anne, I—…” he stopped. It was no use. The words just wouldn’t come. Instead, his mind wandered over everything he couldn’t say—against his will. Anne was now standing right in front of him, looking up through those luxurious, full, black lashes. Jack had to swallow again. [This is where Jack is speaking, but also stumbling over his words. The entire paragraph is basically what's going on inside Jack's mind.

Before he realized what he had done, his hand was positioned beneath her chin, and his lips were caressing hers, giving life to the frantic and uncontrollable devotion he had hidden from her for nigh on three years.[This is about the kiss]

Anne wrapped her arms enthusiastically around his shoulders, hoping for time to freeze right at that moment, so she could hide it in her heart forever. [This is also about the kiss, but we're now in Anne's mind]

The kiss ended anyway, and Jack stammered out in a voice thick with emotion, “I—I love you, Anne.” Anne stared at him, taken aback. “Anne,” he seemed to plead with his eyes, added to by his desperate tone. “Anne—I love you more than words can say. For four years I’ve hidden that…” he dared to meet her gaze again. “Now that it‘s out I can take your rejection an’ be done wit’ it.” [We're back to nervous ol' Jack]

Paraphrasing paragraphs is an easy way to decide where to make them. :)

That's probably the scariest thing for readers: Big blocks of text. Try to fix that by going over your work and considering what I suggested above. Any questions, I'm open to answer! If you want a crit, PM me or post in my review thread, I'm Hungry... or recruit other critters in that forum, Will Review for Food. We're all willing to help you out!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:12 pm
vet4life13 says...

Hey, I haven't read your story yet, but I read the bottom of the title where you said you didn't know where you were going. Here's a tip. Before you start writing your story, try to write down the names of your characters, their personalities, description, and where they live. Then write down a short summary going from the beginning to the end of your story so you know what you are going to write about before you start. This should help out a little bit.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:50 am
JabberHut says...

I have returned upon request! I shall now critique like I never have before! :D

The last sentence that Jack understood had had something to do with Anne, and then Jack had tuned him out, thinking.

The last sentence that Jack understood had had something to do with Anne. Jack tuned him out after that, deep in thought. It was a little clunky when we got to the end of the sentence. Probably because of all the commas. *shrug*

Still, the thought of Jones putting them in the same room and sending Anne to his cabin because he felt like it was beginning to irk Jack.

This sentence confused me. Probably because of all the hes and his' there. Maybe reword it. Keep in mind I haven't read any of the previous parts. :oops:

Eventually, Calico Jack became conscious of [s]Jones’s[/s] Jones' voice calling his name, [no comma] and was pulled back to reality.

Bolded: When the word ends in an s already, it only gets an apostrophe after it.

Underlined: This is a bit repetitious, I think. Becoming conscious of something is the same as being pulled back to reality? Kinda? I'd delete that enter part from and was... to the end.

He looked up, [no comma] and saw Jones watching him expectantly with a triumphant grin on his face.

Jack sat in his cabin, not really paying attention to what Jones was telling him. The last sentence that Jack understood had had something to do with Anne, and then Jack had tuned him out, thinking. It was obvious Jones was pushing the two of them together. Ever since they’d had a break in the winds and a pause in their pillaging, Jones had been insufferable. Still, the thought of Jones putting them in the same room and sending Anne to his cabin because he felt like it was beginning to irk Jack. They had been at sea for nearly a month now, and Jones had not let up yet. Eventually, Calico Jack became conscious of Jones’s voice calling his name, and was pulled back to reality. He looked up, and saw Jones watching him expectantly with a triumphant grin on his face. Jack barely glanced at him before replying, “What?" Jones stared at him. Jack repeated his halfhearted inquiry and Jones shook his head, “You ’aven’t 'eard a word I’ve said, ‘ave you, Jack?" Jack didn’t answer, and Jones gave him a rapid review of what he had been rattling on about. “I said, Captain," Jones said the title with contempt and indignation, “that the crew is startin’ ta get restless. They’re hopin’ we’ll go out on a venture soon."

Like I said before, this is monstrous. Not the exact same paragraph, but it's monstrous. And if you read the ending of it, you'll notice the exchange in dialogue. Paragraphs, m'boy. :D

Try this:

Jack sat in his cabin, not really paying attention to what Jones was telling him. The last sentence that Jack understood had had something to do with Anne, and then Jack had tuned him out, thinking. It was obvious Jones was pushing the two of them together. Ever since they’d had a break in the winds and a pause in their pillaging, Jones had been insufferable. Still, the thought of Jones putting them in the same room and sending Anne to his cabin because he felt like it was beginning to irk Jack. They had been at sea for nearly a month now, and Jones had not let up yet.

[A great transition in the next sentence here, which means an excellent cue for a new paragraph!]

Eventually, Calico Jack became conscious of Jones’s voice calling his name, and was pulled back to reality. He looked up, and saw Jones watching him expectantly with a triumphant grin on his face. Jack barely glanced at him before replying, “What?"

[New paragraph here since we're not focusing on Jones]

Jones stared at him. Jack repeated his halfhearted inquiry and Jones shook his head, “You ’aven’t 'eard a word I’ve said, ‘ave you, Jack?"

[New paragraph for the same reason: we're focusing on Jack now]

Jack didn’t answer, and Jones gave him a rapid review of what he had been rattling on about. “I said, Captain," Jones said the title with contempt and indignation, “that the crew is startin’ ta get restless. They’re hopin’ we’ll go out on a venture soon."

Jack nodded, thinking. After a moment, he stood and walked out of his cabin and onto the deck, [no comma] where the crew [s]stood, waiting[/s] waited. Looking around, he began to bark orders, [period instead] “Get ta work, you feckless pack of ingrates! Weight anchor! Haul those sheets!” [s]he[/s] He subsequently walked up the stairs leading to the Captain’s Wheel and turned the ship facing northwest.

[We focus on Jones]

Jones appeared behind him and swallowed visibly.

[We focus on Jack]

“Something wrong, sailor?” Jack addressed him formally, [no comma] since they were out on deck. Jones fidgeted, and Jack snapped, “Out with it, man. [exclamation point?]

[We focus on Jones]

Jones blanched at Jack’s tone, but answered, “Where are we ‘eaded, sir?”

[We focus on Jack]

Jack replied nonchalantly, “Master Jones,” he said. “We’ve a need ta travel upriver.”

It's okay to have one-line paragraphs! As long as it starts a new idea. :D I'll crit each monstrous paragraph on its own, then. ^_^

“[s]But[/s] By a ‘need’ d’ya mean, a…a ‘triflin’’ need, say a…passing fancy?”

I'm thinking that's a silly typo. :wink:

Jack looked at him blankly, a little annoyed, “No,” he said steely. “A resolute and unyielding need, [period instead]” [s]he finished, putting emphasis on each word, proving who was in charge.[/s] He emphasized each word to make a point as to who was in charge around here . Looking around at the crew, he spat, “Get a move on, you scurvy dogs, or it’s the brig fer any man what wants ta question my orders!”

You don't need a tag every time someone speaks. The reader's [hopefully] smart enough to follow if you skip inserting a tag here or there.

Underlined: Don't make this a tag, but a sentence like I did before it. Try: His beady eyes seemed to have gotten, if possible, even smaller as he glared down at his crew. If you describe how he looks, the reader can imagine how he'd sound. :)

Up in the rigging, Anne silently watched the [s]entire[/s] scene [down below?] [s]play out, silent[/s].

Once Jack had set course and disappeared inside his quarters again, Anne dropped down out of the rigging and came to rest by Jones, who nearly jumped out of his skin. “Mary, Mother of God!” [s]he yelped as she landed.[/s]

That tag seemed to repeat what the entire previous sentence was saying. ^^

Anne ignored his choice of words, [period instead] “Where are we going?”

Jones shuddered, “[s]ta[/s] Ta see…’er…”

[New speaker, new paragraph]

Anne’s brows knitted together, “Who’s ‘’er’?”

Jones’s voice was low, “Jocylen…”

Realizing that this was going to take a while, Anne asked, “Who’s Jocylen?”

[New speaker, new paragraph. Annoyed yet? :wink:]

Jones jumped again, amazed at Anne’s lack of understanding, “Gracious, girl! Don’t you know nothin’?”

At the beginning of this, there are italics. Shuddered doesn't make sense as a tag. To shudder is like getting a chill down your spine -- that kind of feeling. Jones may want to stutter or hesitate instead. If you use shudder, be sure to change that comma after it into a period. ^_^

“No,” Anne snapped, “Now answer my question.”

Master Jones shook his head, but acquiesced, [period instead] “She ‘takes in’ sailors what lose their way.”

Now, Anne was interested. “Takes in?” she [s]repeated, trying to get Jones to answer her questions with a longer response than just one word.[/s] encouraged but[easy, eh?] [s]To[/s] to no avail.

“She’s a witch,” he said, and she sighed. They were back to four-word answers again. After further questioning—to no avail—[s]she[/s] Anne [variety is good] left him at peace, deciding to solve the problem at its source. With a determined air, she headed into Jack’s cabin, Jones and the crew watching nervously as she vanished behind the mahogany doors and out of sight.

Underlined: Why are we repeating this again? I would delete the second one, if not both.

As she stood with her back to him, looking through the contents of the cabinet on the wall, his heart jumped, [period instead] ‘I love you, lass,’ [italics?] he thought desperately to the back of her head.

[Optional, but new subject (Anne)]

She spun around and looked at him, surprised, [period instead] “What?”

Jack nearly jumped out of his skin. “I didn’t say nothin,” he replied, more than a little confused.

“Yes you did,” Anne corrected pensively. “You must’ve…I ‘eard it clear as day,” She gave him a lost look. “It sounded like…’I love you, lass’…”

Notice where I put "[italics?]"? Well, I suggest putting thought "bubbles," if you will, in italics. It's much easier to identify and read than single quotes. Though I've seen it both ways...

He faltered, momentarily terrified, but recovered sufficiently enough to reassure her, [period instead] “Well, then that proves it wasn’t me,” he said, and then to himself, ‘I’d never get up the nerve ta say it to your face, anyway…’ [italics?]

Anne’s eyes widened, “Y-you what?”

[New speaker/thinker, new paragraph]

Jack looked at her, confused again. Then it hit him. She could hear his thoughts! He had forgotten that part of her Dhampyre condition included telepathy—the reading of people’s thoughts. Despite himself, he swore under his breath, sealing his fate.

Underlined: Should I know that word? I know this is chapter four of your story, but according to reference.com, a Dhampyr is a vampire thing. *shrug*

Anne took a step closer, [period instead] “You did think that…didn’t you?” She looked up at him, a bit of a blush showing on her [s]tanned[/s] tan cheeks.

Jack swallowed nervously. The truth was out. Anne knew that he loved her. He swallowed, [period instead] “A-aye…” [s]he[/s] He looked into her eyes momentarily and then immediately away again. “Anne, I—…” [s]he[/s] He stopped. It was no use. The words just wouldn’t come. Instead, his mind wandered over everything he couldn’t say—against his will. Anne was now standing right in front of him, looking up through those luxurious, full, black lashes. Jack had to swallow again.

Underlined: That sentence didn't make sense to me. Insetad, his mind wandered over everything he couldn't say. That seems fine by itself. The against his will seemed a bit random. I'd get rid of it or rewrite that sentence entirely.

“Anne,” he seemed to plead with his eyes, added to by his desperate tone.

Again, this didn't make much sense to me. "Anne." His desperate tone was accompanied by his pleading eyes. This was lame, but it made more sense, lol.

“Anne— [Why not a comma?] I love you more than words can say. For four years I’ve hidden that…” [s]he[/s] He dared to meet her gaze again. “Now that it‘s [why is your apostrophe backwards? Lol] out, I can take your rejection an’ be done wit’ it.”

Jack awoke from the dream suddenly, sitting straight up on his cot in the dark cabin. He heard the noise again, a small, faint clinking noise, like someone gently tapping two bottles together. Looking around in the dim light, he thought he saw movement by the cabinet against the wall. Abruptly, Anne spoke, “’S about time you got up, love,” she said. “I’ve been waitin’ for quite a while.”

He started, “’Ow long ‘ave you been there?”

Underlined: Suddenly seems like an elementary word in my opinion. It's like there's no better way to say Jack woke up. I would completely delete it.

“Why didn’t you wake me sooner, then?” he asked, not really ready to hear the answer she was going to give.

She winked conspiratorially before answering, “Your dreams are too interesting to interrupt.”

Calico’s face was paler than the ship’s sails, he was sure, and he was suddenly thankful for the lack of decent lighting in the cabin. “Why, did I talk in my sleep?” [s]to[/s] To himself, he thought, ‘Please say no...’ [italics?]

Anne shook her head, “No, but I could tell they bothered you anyway. You may want to make mention of them ta Jocelyn, love, [period instead]” She walked over to Jack and pushed the second bottle of rum into his hands [s]before continuing[/s]. “An’, speakin’ which, get your effects. By wha’ th’ crew’s been sayin’ ‘bout ‘er, you may need ‘em.”

Underlined: This sentence didn't make sense at all. It woulda made a little more sense if there were no commas there. They seemed randomly placed there. Get your effects? Maybe I just never have heard of it. :?

Overall, interesting story, but I can tell you don't know where you're headed. The poll basically says it anyway. This part makes it seem like a romance, but maybe another chapter wants it in action/adventure or sci-fi. I dunno where you're headed with this, and I think you should take vet4life13's advice.

Map out your story. Even making simple biographies of your characters will help you out. Make an outline of events you want to occur in your story as well as subplots and ways to keep the story interesting to the reader. It takes time organizing a story; plan it out so it doesn't look like poo. *says from experience*

You do fairly well with your grammar, but some punctuation is in need of tweaking. Watch your tags; you tend to have two tags for one quote. XD It's rather amusing and annoying at the same time. And we need to work on that paragraph thing. It's really easy to understand, and once you understand it, it becomes a default maneuver to enter/tab everything. :wink:

I caught what I could. There may be more, but I do kinda need to sleep. :shock: Got some serious testing tomorrow. Sorry this is long, but it really seems long because of the long quotes. :x I apologize.

I hope I helped! You can always get a hold of me through PM. I'm welcome to any and all works you want critiqued. Just post in my review thread or PM the link to me.

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.
— Roald Dahl