Young Writers Society

Death Games

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:21 pm
View Likes
APoltergeist says...

Welcome to the Death Games!

You have been selected from a pool of contestants to participate in this once a lifetime special event. It is the highest honour people such as you could ever expect to receive.

You've never heard of the Death Games? How...odd. I suppose I could explain it to you...

The Death Games are a series of trials held at the prestigious Lux Academy and surrounding area.

-no, I cannot say what the trials are-

Sixteen people, one from each district, are selected to compete in these trials. It is an honour, you should be grateful that someone like you could ever dream of getting. These sixteen people for the course of eight weeks are the most important people in the entire country, showered with adoration and affection from the public.

So, as I said earlier. Welcome to the Death Games! May fortune smile upon you.

Districts:
Spoiler! :

0: Capitol.

1: Fishing.
2: Energy/Coal.
3: Weaponry.
4: Scientific Research.
5: Hunting.
6: Medicine.
7: Agriculture.
8: Technology.
9: Textile.
10: Lumber.
11: Livestock.
12: Transportation.
13: Defense.
14: Luxury Items.
15: Entertainment.
16: Nuclear Development.

Character Template:
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]District:[/b]
[b]Age (12-18):[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Strengths:[/b]
[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Characters:
Spoiler! :

District One: @APoltergeist - Jacqueline North
District Two:
District Three:
District Four: @Leya - Amber Webb
District Five:
District Six:
District Seven:
District Eight:
District Nine:
District Ten:
District Eleven: @Ari11 - Timothy Caseas
District Twelve:
District Thirteen:
District Fourteen: @teatiime - Tyson Londons
District Fifteen: @DeadMenTe11N0Tales - Remi Tamplin
District Sixteen:

***Rated 18+ for themes of *violence, *language, *blood and gore.***
Last edited by APoltergeist on Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now Playing:
unwanted by camylio
1:23 ━━━━●───── 2:28
ㅤ ㅤ◁ㅤ ❚❚ ㅤ▷ ㅤㅤ

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:20 am
View Likes
APoltergeist says...

A green-haired woman steps onto the middle of the stage, smiling brightly at the cameras pointed at her.

"Hello, welcome to the fourteenth annual Death Games, my dearest viewers. Today we are joined by a special guest- Ash Parker who will be my co-host for today's session!" Evelyn gestures offstage and a man steps forward, dressed impeccably in a dark gray suit, long black curls cascading down his back in a braid, streaks of brilliant purple running through it, rich toffee skin gleaming under the lights. He smiled amiably at her, taking his place at the mahogany table placed behind her. There were eighteen chairs, each one decorated with a District emblem. The chairs at the foot and the head had no such marking, plain and unadorned with the exception of a microphone stand.

"Very pleased to be here, shall we begin by listing off this year's contestants?" Ash said smoothly, chin propped up on his palm as he smiled dazzlingly at the camera, lights reflecting off his glittering white teeth. Eve took her place at the head of the table, drumming her fingers on the wood. A person dressed all in black ran onto the stage, handed each of them an envelope before running back off, footsteps echoing. The audience tittered, metallic-sounding through the speakers. Both hosts carefully opened the papers, scanning through it.

"First off, we have Jacqueline North from District One!" Evelyn said as a smirking teenager was shoved from the left wing, taking her place in the chair with a trident blazed into the back. Ash's smile grew a little forced when she winked at him before turning to his list. Each co-host took turns reading off names. As each name was read, the audience would applaud politely.

"From District Four, we have Amber Webb!" Ash said, waving his hand languidly as yet another teenager was pushed onstage and directed to the District Four chair, the emblem a simple atom.

"From District Eleven, we have Timothy Caseas!" Evelyn clapped her hands together as Timothy took his seat, smiling cheerfully at the broad-shouldered teenager. The chair had a simple rendition of a sheep on the back, looking remarkably fluffy for a simple wood carving.

"Remi Tamplin, from District Fifteen!" Evelyn said, waving the boy over and pointing towards his seat, a half-laughing, half-crying mask decorating the back of his seat.

"Welcome, all contestants, to your first, and only, Death Games! Today is simply the interview day, so we will be holding private interviews with each of you. Answer each question wisely, because if someone likes what you say, they can choose to donate or sponsor you in the trials." Evelyn cleared her throat pointedly and Ash looked at her, first in confusion, then in realization. The audience tittered.

"Let's start, shall we?" Ash stood up abruptly and crooked a finger at one of the contestants before disappearing into stage right, snagging a camera from someone on the way.

<*>*<*>

“If you have two eggs, and you want to figure out what’s the highest floor from which you can drop the egg without breaking it, how would you do it?”

"...what kind of question is that?" Confusion flashes across Jack's face as she stares at the interviewer in front of her, hands twisting into elaborate shapes in her lap. Ash smiles serenely back at her, tilting his head for her to answer it.

"I'd chuck it at whatever moron made me do it, then eat the second one." Jacqueline said, letting her lips turn up into a smirk as Ash's smile fades. He clears his throat awkwardly to fill the sudden silence, Jack reclining back in her seat and putting her shoes on the table, head cocking to the side to see if he dared object.

"Alright-y." Ash stretches out the word before shuffling his papers, pulling out a slip and reading off of it.

"What will you do with the prize, if you win?" Jack shrugs, body cracking with a snap, crackle, and pop as she stretches, twisting her back to crack her spine with a satisfying noise.

"Depending on the prize, I dunno. Maybe I'll buy you something, pretty boy." She winks at him once again before abruptly standing, waving goodbye and vanishing out the doors. She has a decent idea of where her room is.
Now Playing:
unwanted by camylio
1:23 ━━━━●───── 2:28
ㅤ ㅤ◁ㅤ ❚❚ ㅤ▷ ㅤㅤ

Random avatar

Reviews: 52
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:41 am
View Likes
Abcdefg1 says...

"Eggs?" Timothy repeated, brow wrinkled in thought. He twisted the hem of his shirt in his hands as he considered the question. "I don't think you can drop 'em from very high. Heck, they used to fall from the basket when I was on the farm and splatter all over the ground!" he mimed an egg bursting with his hands, making a bdoosh sound. A few chuckles came from the crowd. Timothy smiled. "So I'd say no floors 'cause they're so delicate. But maybe if you boiled 'em first...?"

"What will you do with the prize if you win?" Ash asked. Timothy tilted his head thoughtfully.

"My sister's always dreamed of opening a bakery someday," he said. "I think I'd use the money to help her with that."

"Do you have a strategy that you're planning to use to win?"

"...Strategy?" Timothy repeated.

"Yeah, like a plan for completing the Death Games," Ash gave him an odd look. "You...do have a plan, right?"

Timothy shrugged. "Not really. I guess we'll just have to...wait and find out?"

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:27 pm
View Likes
Ley says...

This interview is so stupid. Amber thought as she stared at the interviewer.

“If you have two eggs, and you want to figure out what’s the highest floor from which you can drop the egg without breaking it, how would you do it?” They ask.

Amber takes a moment and digs deep into her brain for something she'd learned when she was in Calculus-- a simple algorithm would do the job.

"Well," she started as she twisted a strand of bright red hair in between her pale fingers, "I would need some constants. The eggs for example-- would need to stay shelled. And I... I would need a certain amount of drops. If there's two eggs, I would only drop it two times. That gives me about a fifty-fifty chance I'll break the egg or not, depending on the height I dropped it from. There's no way to figure out how high I can drop the eggs without them breaking unless I have the height of the building, the circumference of the eggs, and--"

"Okay, that's enough, Miss. Webb," The interviewer chuckled and leaned back in his seat.

"What would you do with the prize, if you win?" He asked her next.

"I would put it towards my research projects," She said, "Right now, I'm trying to find a cure for ovarian cancer. We lose too many people to this each year. I could really use the money to fund that. If, it is money, of course."

"That should do," the interviewer stood up, organized his papers, and gestured toward the door, "You may leave."

"That's all?" Amber asked as she stood with him, "That was only two questions?"

The interviewer raised an eyebrow at her and she shut her mouth. Why would she want to stay here any longer, anyway?

She walked toward the door, out the hallway, and towards her room. When she arrived, she noticed that the walls were a pale green-- with sheets of cotton on the large, king-sized bed. The windows were large, almost too large, and they overlooked the courtyard. Amber sat on her bed, sighed, and laid back with a thump.
“Look at that moon. Potato weather for sure.”
Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Ley
She/Her
Potato Enthusiast

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire