Young Writers Society

The Lost City

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Mon May 14, 2018 2:54 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Uh, well, it just like, slides down to the floor. Since otherwise it would be eight flights of who-knows-how-long stairs. And it's kind of an emergency. So uh. I know you don't have this kind of technology where you're from but I wanna move fast for Oliver."
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon May 14, 2018 9:34 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"It's called an elevator," Oliver helpfully said, studying it.

For a race that was supposed to be advanced, he was surprised that they had elevators as their fastest form of transport inside of a building. He had expected a bit more. Maybe there was another method of travel and they just hadn't found it yet?
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Spoiler! :
LOL SAE I COULDNT THINK OF ANYTHUNG FASTER

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 14, 2018 10:13 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
No, you're good! They actually use elevators in Stargate: Atlantis. Oliver just has more experience with futuristic societies than he's letting on, and I only just realized how funny it is that they have elevators in a show where people can be beamed up into spaceships.
mage

queer and here.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon May 14, 2018 2:10 pm
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

Spoiler! :
"Anythung"
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Mon May 14, 2018 2:22 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

What a strange concept. He guessed "sliding" meant something like "falling slowly," and he wasn't exactly a fan of falling. Still, if it was faster than using the stairs, he didn't have much of an argument against it.

"Fine," he said, stepping into the elevator and looking down through the glass floor. He could see doors on the walls at periodic intervals of the elevator shaft, but he couldn't see any end to it. For all he knew, the elevator went on forever (though he wasn't quite sure if that was just his being nearsighted getting in the way). "L-let's go."
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue May 15, 2018 1:12 am
View Likes
ellasnotebook says...

Lola looked at the cheese. Her stomach growled in protest as Lola shook her head.

"No thanks. I'm not...that hungry." Mostly she just wasn't sure that she wanted to eat food from an unknown place, no matter how tempting it may have been.

"And besides, we should save some for the others! Let's look and see if we can find a bag or something to put it in so we can carry it back."

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue May 15, 2018 4:31 am
View Likes
RaidenCheese says...

"True. Buuuuut we are here now, and your stomach just grumbled, so you might as well eat a little bit. If cheese ain't your thing then maybe do you want some veggies?" Raiden asked, stepping away from the fridge so she could look inside for herself.
I'm cool as a cucumber
Even if I'm in a pickle

Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

"Alrighty then."

Bo nodded, and followed the others inside the elevator. Once inside, the doors shut and Bo looked for buttons somewhere inside to indicate what floor he wanted to go to. But there were no buttons. There was simply a display screen with their location already lit up on it in bright blue Atlantian letters (being able to read them? - he was still baffled about that).

Somehow it knew where they had to go, and the elevator began to steadily lower, taking well under a minute before it came to a stop, and the doors opened again. Referencing the picture of the map again, he led them out, looking around the halls for a door or signs or something.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm
View Likes
ellasnotebook says...

Lola's stomach grumbled again as she stared at the food inside the fridge. An apple sat right inside of it. She stared at it before picking it up and holding it.

"Well," she said, "I guess eating an apple won't hurt."

299 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Aegeas walked out of the elevator, taking a few awkward steps. The elevator had been a disorienting and strange experience - he'd grabbed the walls most of the time, and now he couldn't shake the feeling he was still moving down. He couldn't imagine anyone would use that thing more than once. Aegeas shook his head and blinked, waiting for the sensation to fade away.

When it did, he ran to catch up with Bo, stopping to join him in looking around. The signs scattered around were all in the same strange script, but Aegeas found (once again) he could read it just fine. As they walked around a corner, a familiar word popped into his mind. Aegeas pointed to one sign sticking out of the wall over a small door. "Hospital," he said.

Turning around to spot Oliver, Aegeas said, "Maybe we can find something for-". He froze, mouth agape. "It's getting worse."

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 pm
View Likes
SirenCymbaline says...

Shortly after we arrived in the control room, it became apparent that the others would take some time getting back, so I occupied myself with experimentally pressing buttons on the control board.

First all the text changed colour, and then back. Then the entire image on the screen flipped sideways. And then when I tried to undo it, it made some disconcerting noises.

'These functions need better labeling,' I said, before stepping back in annoyance.
Bad souls have born better sons, better souls born worse ones -St Vincent

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 19, 2018 4:35 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

He should have attempted to at least look a little shocked at the comment, but he was far more concerned with the other parts of the situation - like how they had finally arrived at the infirmary, and how he still didn't have an idea on how he could slip away. He took a hesitant step to the door, glanced back at the other two, and was about to press his hands against it to open it. But before he could do so, the door slid open on its own. Apparently, it was an automatic system.

He slipped inside the infirmary and started to look for something - anything - that could give him the privacy he needed. And there, to the very back of it, was just the perfect thing.

A bathroom.

"I know this is terrible timing," he said, already starting to inch his way over to it, "but I really have to go." He pointed at the door to support the point, frantically looking between his companions and the room in question.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 pm
View Likes
soundofmind says...

Bo stared at him, nodding hesitantly - worry still ever prent on his face.

“Go. Go to the bathroom,” he said hurriedly.

299 Reviews

Sat May 19, 2018 10:35 pm
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Aegeas reached out and grabbed Oliver's shoulder, wincing when he did. He really wasn't doing his own shoulder any favors.

"I'm pretty sure it can wait," Aegeas said. There was something odd in Oliver's behavior that Aegeas couldn't just chalk up to Oliver's condition. Oliver sounded almost afraid to be around the others. Might as well get to the truth. "Why now?"

Spoiler! :
Mustelids have a great amount of strength, but if someone were to say, quickly push off Aegeas's hand and aggravate his shoulder, they could theoretically run to wherever they need to before he can react. Just saying. >.>

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology