Young Writers Society

A Chance Meeting

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:37 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Your character is in the woods. Why are they in the woods? Maybe they were chasing after a stray cat, or a wizard so kindly teleported them there. Maybe they believe that the woods are haunted and they're having a stake-out to catch that elusive ghost on film. Maybe they're doing something that no one should ever know about. But they are in the midst of this ominous forest.
With that in mind, here's some little bits of house-keeping.
Rules:
1.) Pay attention to what is going on. You don't want to be that one person who puts something that make no sense.
2.) Once you join, stay for awhile. Don't pop in and leave. Your character is officially in the woods, and the only way to get them out of there is by writing a reasonable exit.
3.) Put your character's name in bold. Here's an example. Schadel: If they have a last name, include that. But if they are supposed to remain mysterious, use question marks in the place of the letters.
4.) You can write in third or first person perspectives. Just use the one that you start with.
5.) Make sure to interact with other characters. Don't leave poor Mary Sue out because your character is in middle of confronting another character.
6.) Keep it in the woods. Flashbacks are the exceptions to this rule.
7.) One character per post please!
8.) Enjoy yourself!
Last edited by Mageheart on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:42 pm
Mageheart says...

Schadel:

Schadel, though he hates to admit that Claret had been right in her earlier prediction, is lost.
Totally and utterly lost.
With a snap of his fingers, he shifts into his more comforting Grim Reaper form. He doesn't bother becoming like a ghost. He should be the only one in these woods, woods that are even more dead than the ones around his house.
He can already anticipate Claret's mug grin, and how she'll remind him for days that she's right yet again. He should have brought a map, like she suggested. But he thought it would be a quick run into the woods, not an hour long search that left him still in it after night fell.
Schadel sighs. Not only does he have to find that stupid cat, but now he has the second task of finding his way out of these extremely ominous woods.
mage

queer and here.

Reviews: 0
Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:18 am
View Likes
madeupwords says...

Cassidy Hayward:

He sniffled and wiped the tears across his face with the backs of his hands. Cass hated this trait of his - he cried too easily. Of course he didn't want to, but it just happened so fast before he could stop it. Then, he would get frustrated at himself that he would cry even harder.
However, that wasn't the biggest of his problems at the moment. He was lost in the woods - woods that he feared had other creatures in it. He feared almost any animals, except for some dogs and most cats. He was getting exhausted as well. Where would he sleep? How would he sleep? The ground has bugs! He couldn't sleep there!
He stopped dead in his tracks when he heard other footsteps. Cassidy quickly realised two options - call to the sound, hoping it's person, which was unlikely, or something along the lines of keeping himself away from whatever was nearby. He wasn't one to come up with plans very easily, but he had to figure it out fast - the sound was coming closer.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:38 am
Mageheart says...

Schadel:

With another dismal sigh, Schadel decides that cats are the worst thing in the world, and that if he ever gets a familiar it will be a bird or dog just to spite the pompous felines.
Although he'll never get a familiar. A thought like that is just wistful thinking. As Schadel throws himself a pity party, he bumps into something.
"Damn it." He says, glaring at the tree. He rubs his forehead and hopes that there won't be a bump. Because Claret will notice it, and knowing his ghostly assistant, she'll never let him live that down. The lost cat is bad enough.
Suddenly, Schadel hears what sounds like some sniffling. He stares off into the darkness of the forest. Can cats sniffle?
Spoiler! :
Just in case Cassidy describes Schadel, I'll give you a description of him. He's tall in his Grim Reaper form, and has been described by other characters as a dark being. He has hollow eyes-and I don't mean eyes that have seen things none should ever see. Schadel just has hollow eye sockets. And on his back is a gigantic silver scythe. He also has long fingers.
mage

queer and here.

Reviews: 3
Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:04 am
View Likes
RedEyedRunt says...

Jackie ?

She heard footsteps behind her, she refused to look back as she ran into the woods. Entering the maze of trees. The footsteps stopped. She stopped. And calmly jogged through the trees . . . She was lost, and her makeup had worn off from all the sweat. She heard breathing distant into the woods. Was it his henchmen? She was so curious, so she walked near the noise, she heard the words:

"Damn it!"

She drew back. But her breathing was so loud. She felt eyes watching her.
Winterfell is cold.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:36 am
Mageheart says...

Schadel:

He finally can make out a form. He knows that there is at least another person/thing/whatever it is out there with them, but Schadel decides to focus on the person.
It's a teenage girl. She stares at him with horror in her eyes, and sweat mixes with skin colored make-up as she breathes loudly.
"Uh...hi?" He says, awkwardly waving his hand in front of her face.
Obviously that is the wrong thing to do. The scream she gives filled the woods, and Schadel swears that several birds fly out of their nests in a startled panic.
Last edited by Mageheart on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
mage

queer and here.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:43 am
View Likes
RedEyedRunt says...

Jackie ?

I scream as a hand waves in front of my face. I calm down as I see, it's just a person.

"Oops, sorry, I thought you were one of them . . . Well, I should probably run away now . . ."

I run as fast as I can. I trip and fall to the ground. My forever scars shone in the dim moonlight. I found a bunch of giant leaves. I cover my face.
Winterfell is cold.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 am
Mageheart says...

Schadel:

Schadel stares. The human girl calmed down surprisingly fast. What kind of past did she have if the sight of a Grim Reaper didn't terrify her? He's about seven feet tall, looks as if he's made of darkness, has hollow eyes, long fingers, and a gigantic scythe on his back-He suddenly gets it. The shadows must be masking his true appearance, causing this mysterious girl to believe that he's just as human as she is.
"Oops, sorry, I thought you were one of them...Well, I should probably run away now..."
The girl starts to race off. Schadel's interest is piqued. He's in the mood for a good mystery-not a stupid runaway cat whose owners sucked at finding it so they had to hire him-and this girl seems to be in the middle of one.
The human girl doesn't get that far before tripping over her own too feet. Schadel is shocked to see scars etched on her face, forming an artificial smile. Is that what her makeup was covering?
Schadel stupidly takes a step forward into the moonlight as the girl covers her face with leaves.

(Hey @Deadpool! I just wanted you to know that Schadel isn't exactly human. I came up with a good excuse for why Jackie wouldn't be afraid of him, but I think in the moonlight she would be able to see his features. I described them here, and in a spoiler awhile back too,)
mage

queer and here.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:17 pm
View Likes
RedEyedRunt says...

Jackie ?

she saw some sort of . . . thing that looked like a Grim Reaper, in the pale moonlight. She started to shake violently. Something wasn't right. She immediately got up and ran.
Winterfell is cold.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:49 pm
Mageheart says...

Schadel:

He really should have seen that coming.
Really, he should have.
Schadel wants to slam his head against the tree next to him. He's an idiot for still using his Grim Reaper form when he confronted the girl. "Damn it." He mutters.
For some reason, Schadel gets the feeling that his usual human form will still manage to scare her. She doesn't need to see some creepy boy wearing bandages all over his face. Schadel thinks for a second.
Then he snaps his fingers.
A young man stands in his place, dressed in an all black suit and a silver tie. The color of the tie matches the man's unnerving eyes. His hair is short and black, falling in front of his eyes.
Schadel pushes his hair to the side. He gives a smug grin to no one in particular. This shouldn't scare the girl, and he knows that he looks extremely hot.
"Wait!" He shouts in a voice deeper than his usual one, and manages to catch up to her with a surprising burst of speed.
mage

queer and here.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:24 pm
View Likes
LadyEvvy says...

Margaret Howes:
Margaret stumbled through the woods. Of all her lessons, this was perhaps the strangest. Usually it was mirrors, something she could handle. Commanding mirrors was easy, the woods were not.
Once again, she was grateful for her sturdy boots. She would never wear slippers ever again.
Margaret paused to rest against a tree. What was she doing here? What was she supposed to learn?
A high-pitched scream sounded in the distance. Another student? A mirror? Margaret sprinted as fast as she could in the direction of the scream, hoping it wouldn't be anything horrible.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:03 am
View Likes
RedEyedRunt says...

Jackie ?

"Wait!"

She sees a man right next to her. She calmed down,

" Uh hi, do you know a way out of this forest? There's monsters in here. And I am currently wanted alive and hostage for my father . . ."

He looks confused.

"So . . . do you know a way out of the forest?"
Winterfell is cold.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:03 pm
Mageheart says...

Schadel:

"Your father wants to use you as a hostage?" Schadel questions slowly in disbelief. He knows that they are some pretty messed up families out there-after all, he is a Grim Reaper. He's talked to ghosts before, and when dealing with mysteries you tend to learn about the darker sides of humanity.
Suddenly, Schadel hears the sound of someone running towards them. They're a girl.
She glances about the clearing with a worried to look to her eyes. The look disappears, however, when she notices Schadel and the girl and is replaced by confusion.
mage

queer and here.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:15 pm
View Likes
LadyEvvy says...

Margaret:
Margaret can hear voices up ahead now. She can't make out all the words, but there was something about someone's father, and a hostage. It occurs to her that she might have wanted to grab a stick or something to defend herself, but it's too late as she bursts into the clearing.
The two people abruptly stop talking when she appears. One is a girl with scars all over her face. The other is a man in a suit, with strange silver eyes. He's somewhere between attractive and oddly disturbing.
Pull yourself together, Marge!
"Excuse me," she tries to keep her voice level and sweet. "Who might you two be? And could either of you perhaps tell me where I am?"

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:29 pm
Mageheart says...

Schadel:

Schadel glances at the girl with the strange scars. When it looks as if she isn't going to say anything, he holds out his hand. "I'm Schadel. From Schadel's Necromancy Agency."
He looks at the dark woods surrounding them. Now that he thinks about it, he didn't really check where he was before chasing after that stupid cat. "I think we're in the woods near Drey..." Uncertainty laces his voice. "You haven't seen a cat, by any chance? It's a small ball of white fur, with an elaborate golden collar inset with a diamond."
Schadel anxiously awaits a response. He hopes that she has, because if she hasn't the pompous feline's owners already said that they're going to sue.
mage

queer and here.

Meet me in Montauk.
— Charlie Kaufman