z

Young Writers Society

Reviewing Question

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:33 am
writewannabe says...

I had decided to review some of the older stories, the ones from 2005. I did a few reviews and I was told that I should not review the older posts because it would cause their story to be locked? Is this true and why?

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:09 am
Prokaryote says...

Think about it.

You post a story on the forums. Five years later, someone comments on it.

Is their opinion really useful to you anymore? Chances are you've moved on.

Plus, if we were always dredging up old stories, the new ones wouldn't get nearly enough attention.

Pork

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 am
Snoink says...

Prokayote is absolutely right. I would hate it if some of my pieces from when I was 16 were brought up again. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:19 pm
Elinor says...

Both Snoink and Pork are absolutely right. To add to that, I just wanted to say that it's forum etiquette. A thread that is five years old will have already served it's purpose. Also, the member may be banned, not around anymore, or simply embarrassed that everyone will see their old, bad writing.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 pm
View Likes
Writersdomain says...

Everybody here has it right. ^^ When you review an old story, you run the chance of that author not wanting their story/poem up for reviews again. In fact, most of the time this is the case! When people have dredged up my 5-year old poetry in the past, I immediately lock it because I'm no longer in that stage of my writing. If a writer asks you to review something old, that's no problem, but if you review an old piece without asking the author first, there's a very high chance the author will lock that topic. :wink:
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes