z

Young Writers Society

Ask a question here (or start a new topic!)

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:52 pm
Jashael says...

Iiscraftywriter wrote:I want to post some artwork but I can't figure out how to get it on the page. Can someone help?

And also, don't forget to put it between an [img<no space>][/img] code. :)
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:32 am
sarahjane97 says...

OK, this is going to sound really really dumb, but what does PM mean? People have asked me to PM them and I have no idea what to do!

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:37 am
Elinor says...

PM = private message. You can PM someone by going to My YWS -> Message Center -> PM new. This is if you want to send a message to either just one person or a few people; you also share pictures and attachments this way. There's also a little button that says "PM" at the bottom of the left hand side of someone's post; doing this will include a link to the post you found it from and it will include the subject of that topic as the subject of your PM; doing this is useful for thanking reviewers, for example.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 am
fireheartedkaratepup says...

PM = private message. You can PM someone by going to My YWS -> Message Center -> PM new. This is if you want to send a message to either just one person or a few people; you also share pictures and attachments this way. There's also a little button that says "PM" at the bottom of the left hand side of someone's post; doing this will include a link to the post you found it from and it will include the subject of that topic as the subject of your PM; doing this is useful for thanking reviewers, for example.

Hay, you stole mine! :P

You can also go to the person's page, and there's a button by "follow."
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri May 27, 2011 7:34 pm
matthewmazer says...

1)I've seen a lot of people offer reviews and they'll post a link to their story in the reply. How can I do this, do I just copy and paste, or is it something else?

2)Are there any kind of surveys that I can do to gain more points? Or something that I can buy to get points? I'm always running out and it's getting annoying.
We've all been sorry. We've all been hurt. How we survive is what makes us who we are.
{20150529)

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 pm
View Likes
Calligraphy says...

1) What you do is click URL. This is one of the coding options you see when you are posting a reply above your words. This should come up:
Code: Select all
[url][/url]

Next paste your URL inside the code like this:
 [url]http://www.google.com/[/url]

If you want to do something like this: Google it is very simple to. Here is the code:

[url=http://www.google.com/]Google[/url]

Notice how I added an '=' sign after the url inside the first set of brackets then I pasted the URL I want.

Does this help?

For your second question the answer is no. People can donate points to you or you can review other peoples' stories and poems to get points. Remember that your reply has to be at least 250 characters in order to get points. Another way you can get points is by winning contests. You can see the contest page right by Discover Works. You can win other things there too like reviews, gift cards, and more.

I hope this helps,

Calli

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat May 28, 2011 1:26 pm
iampaulop says...

I need help. Im new here, and I want to become a successful fantasy novel writer someday. Im a FILIPINO.
here in my country Fantasy is not well loved. So I decided to write in English medium. But I find it very difficult since Im not used to it. If I want to be discovered I need to write in English right? But any suggestion??? HELP PLS
It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities

Paul Zione

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sun May 29, 2011 11:17 pm
SmylinG says...

Do not fret, iampaulop. If it's English you wish to write your fantasy novels in, I wouldn't worry about making mistakes or not being accustomed to it. I know another girl on this site who, if I'm not mistaken, is also Filipino and English is not her first language. Although she tended to make mistakes in her writing, it was usually very easy to understand where her story was headed and I helped correct her in my reviews. She really was an amazing romantic novelist. :D I loved her work. My point is that if you have questions or feel that things are off in your writing, others on the site will be there to help catch you when you fall. Before you know it, you'll become very comfortable with writing your work in English. So just practice it! That's probably the best advice I can give. Hope I've helped answer your question! If not, I apologize.
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:41 am
Theodcyning says...

Uh, I'm just curious... how does one begin to review/critique works on this site?
I'm sorry if the question's been posed before, but everything seems so tangled here, lol.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:14 am
Rydia says...

If you're unfamiliar with how to review, you might want to check out this article first which will give you a few tips on what to say and what not to say. But basically, just head on over to the literary forums, read a few works and tell the author what you did like and why and what you didn't like and how they might go about fixing it. The article should give you a more detailed idea :) If you're still confused though, feel free to drop me a pm and I can answer any questions you have ^^
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Reviews: 2
Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:48 am
Animallovermary says...

You know how when you comment on stories and stuff, and sometimes people put in a quote from the story, you know, that is like in really big "? Yea, ummmm, how do you do that?
Dare To Dream

Writer4ever

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:13 pm
Rydia says...

When you click reply, you'll see there's a row of buttons above the text box. If you click the one that says Quote it will put down something that looks like this - (quote)(/quote) - but with square brackets instead of round ones. All you do then is copy the story or poem and paste it in between the two sets of coding (quote)like so(/quote).
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:24 pm
ABoyAndHisFlyingYeti says...

Is it acceptable and/or condoned to comment on one's own piece if he or she is replying to a reveiw that was left by another member? Or is that regarded as "cheating?" Thanks for the help. :)

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:00 pm
Jas says...

That's completely fine, if you are responding to a review you received.

As long as you aren't replying with 'OMG EVERYONE COMMENT AND REVIEW OR I'LL CRY' or something to that effect, then you can comment on your own work.

:D
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:06 pm
View Likes
ABoyAndHisFlyingYeti says...

Thanks.(: I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't breaking any rules or anything. (Because honnestly I think it's a little unfair that you can earn points by commenting on your own work. But SHHH. Dont tell anyone I said that. :P)

To have more, you have to become more. Don't wish it was easier - wish you were better. For things to change, you have to change, and for things to get better, you have to get better.
— Jim Rohn