Young Writers Society

The Death Parlor

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:10 pm
Snoink says...

The Death Parlor

It was called The Death Parlor, and what a fine establishment it was! Men came, women came, children came – everybody came. It didn’t distinguish between race or gender or age or beauty or intelligence or disability. No, everyone could be treated equally there, depending how much money they paid. And, oh! Was it a nice place!

There were many concerns about it at first, but as time passed, it became a very popular place to go. Celebrities, tired of fame and prestige, would go there to relieve themselves of the human race — but it wasn’t limited to just celebrities, oh no! Normal people went there all the time, wanting finally to be free.

And freedom is always a good thing. Always.

Politicians announced it as the greatest thing to peoplekind, and it was. Hundreds of death parlors popped up around the world, all with similar, fantastic results. They were the single biggest reason why murders and suicides and depression and drug abuse and homosexuality and beatings and old age and abortions and petty theft and illnesses were eliminated– and everyone was glad.

Nancy was glad about it too, but in a slightly more apathetic way. She knew about them, of course – her daughter Anna went to them once, several years ago. And Nancy supposed she was glad for that. It meant she didn’t have to cook as much, which was good since she wasn’t fond of cooking. Or cleaning. She hated doing that. Still, she didn’t particularly care about the death parlors. They were just there.

She lived quite close to several, actually. There was one death parlor in particular that was of remarkable prestige. She knew it was of remarkable prestige by the way it looked. Instead of having concrete walls, hiding rooms as most death parlors did, the opening wall was made out of glass, as if to show off to the whole world that it was alive. Inside, there was a big desk with a receptionist sitting, always smiling. Pastel colors lined the other walls and comfortable chairs covered the floor. It was a nice place and it was always cozy.

She passed by it everyday when she went to work, but never actually went in. She thought she was too busy for that kind of nonsense. So when Nancy stepped into the place, she wondered why she didn’t come in sooner. It was raining outside and the world seemed so dreary at the moment that it was only natural for her to come in. And she was glad. The temperature was moderate inside, and right beside her, there was a coat rack and an umbrella stand. It was almost as if they expected her. She hung up her dripping coat and then struggled with her umbrella. It wouldn’t close.

“It’s bad luck having an open umbrella inside,” a cheerful feminine voice said behind the counter. Nancy looked up and saw a young girl, looking up at her with a big smile. She was forced to smile.

The girl. Actually, she wasn’t a girl. Nancy was just ancient. She was forty years, eight months, and sixteen days old. Her hair was beginning to thin and her cheeks had started sagging. That was why she smiled so much – sagging cheeks were a sign of weakness. Nancy squinted and read the name on the girl’s desk. Her name was Julie.

Julie was beautiful, and it was obvious at once why she was a receptionist for such a grand establishment. She had such a way about her that Nancy could not help but relax. She guessed Julie was about twenty, which was old – well past middle age, at least – but at the same time, she still had a clever, quick look about her that was fun.

When Nancy smiled at her, Julie shuffled through some papers and frowned. “You don’t have an appointment, do you?”

“No. I was just curious.” She looked around and rubbed her hand on a sleek pink couch. “This place is beautiful.”

Julie nodded in agreement. “I helped decorate it. It’s absolutely gorgeous, isn’t it?” she said happily. “So many other death parlors are so dull and morbid. But here, here there’s life!” When she caught Nancy smiling again, she leaned over secretively. “I think that’s why people come to us instead,” she whispered. “It’s pretty.”

Nancy had to agree. She nodded her head and suddenly looked at the counter, blushing. “I don’t know why I came here,” she said. “I don’t think I want your services.”

“Not many people do at first,” Julie said smiling.

Nancy nodded. “My daughter, Anna, did. About ten years ago.” She frowned. “I’m not quite sure when. I wasn’t really paying attention at that time.” Julie nodded understandably.

“Ah, she probably had the time of her life then. Did she come here?”

“Perhaps.”

Julie smiled. “Then that’s wonderful. It really is beautiful.” When Nancy frowned, Julie cocked her head and said, “Is something wrong?”

“I’m not quite sure.” When Julie looked at her inquiringly with soulful brown eyes, she squirmed nervously and sat on a light green couch. “I suppose I am interested in your services.”

Julie’s eyes twinkled. “I see! You feel old and you want to connect yourself to your daughter. And you hope that our services will do it for you.”

Nancy stopped. “Perhaps,” she said hesitantly. Julie laughed.

“Come! Let me show you what happens. I’m sure you wouldn’t mind.” She hopped over the counter and grabbed a vidscreen with her, along with a pen.

“I’m not sure…” Nancy began. But before she could say anything, Julie had snuggled up next to her, a large vidscreen in her lap. She tapped the pen on the vidscreen a couple of times and then it exploded into pastel colors, like the room. Julie smiled.

“See, over here, we pride ourselves with professionalism and giving our clients what they deserve.” She frowned. “You know our mission?”

“Yes,” Nancy said. “You kill people.”

Julie laughed. “Oh, don’t be so barbaric. We kill people, but artistically. So they won’t have to live long and horrible lives. Life, to us, is an adventure, and dying should have the same amount of adventure and fun. So our clients’ deaths are always fun and rewarding.”

Nancy tried to smile. “That’s nice.”

“So,” Julie asked, her voice businesslike, “do you want to buy a death?”

Nancy thought about this for a second and laughed. “Yes. Why not?” She was old. She could use some excitement.

“Do you have any deaths in mind?” When Julie saw Nancy hesitate, she smiled. “You need ideas, don’t you?”

“I think that would be good.”

Julie laughed again and then bent her face close to Nancy’s. “When was the last time you had sex?”

An involuntary feeling tickled Nancy’s body. She smiled reluctantly. “Eleven years, five months, three weeks, and two days,” she said. “It’s been a long time.”

Julie nodded. “What if you could do it again?”

Nancy stared at her. It was impossible. At age thirty, a woman was considered too old to participate in that sort of activity. And at age forty years, eight months, and sixteen days, it was just an ancient dream. She had always suspected that, as soon as her husband divorced her when she was twenty-nine years, five months, and eight weeks old, she would never have sex again. She began trembling. “Who would love me?”

Julie smiled and tapped her pen on the computer a couple of more times. Instantly, a picture of a man appeared. He was strong and muscular and handsome. And he was only wearing a loincloth. Nancy wondered what was behind that. She stared eagerly at the picture. “His name is Jonathon,” Julie said happily. “He’s a robot, yes, but one of the top of the line ones. His skin feels like real skin and everything else feels natural.”

“Even when he fucks you?”

Julie had to smile. “Yes, even when he fucks you. Wonderful, isn’t it?” She flipped through another picture and a slightly different, but still very handsome robot showed up. This one was named Alex.

“What’s underneath there?” Nancy pointed to the loincloth. Julie smiled.

“The usual. We custom-make the penis, just to suit you. Because every woman is different.” Nancy nodded seriously.

“I like Jonathon the best.”

Julie smiled. “Yes, I like Jonathon too.” She made a quick note in her vidscreen and then flipped through another menu. “He’s one of the more popular ones, he is. But there’s a reason for that. He’s so handsome.”

Both of them giggled nervously. Julie tapped her pen on the vidscreen several more times to show other models before it reverted back to pastel colors.

“So I take it you’ll want sex before you die?” Julie finally asked.

“Yes, please.” Then, as an afterthought, she said, “With Jonathon.”

Julie laughed. “It’s a little more expensive, but well worth it, I guarantee you that!” She began to sort through a long complicated list. Nancy peered over her shoulder.

“Do employees get some benefits?” she asked. Julie smiled.

“If you’re asking whether I’ve been with Jonathon, the answer is no. Employees are not allowed sex with the robots.” She made a face and then laughed. “Maybe soon, though! I am getting old. Goodness, I’ll turn twenty-two in four months!”

“You’re still very young yet.” She reminded Nancy of her daughter.

Julie shook her head. “Oh, stop flattering me! No, the reason why I know how the robots do their work is because employees are allowed direct access to the videos. And the videos are quite invigorating.” She smiled mischievously. “Would you like to see some?” When Nancy hesitated, Julie added, “It’s not illegal for you to look at them. In fact, we quite encourage it.”

“Very well then,” Nancy said. “Let’s see it.”

Julie smiled. “I’ll show you the ones with women in them,” she promised. She bit her tongue and her pen raced over the vidscreen.

Instantly, an image appeared on the screen. There was a woman and another man… or was he a robot? He was fucking her good and hard. Her face was split into pleasure and she was moaning – no, screaming – in pleasure. The image cut off and then there was another woman, this time with Jonathon. And then there was another woman. And another…

Nancy couldn’t take her eyes off of it.

“Don’t they die?”

“Of course they do. Would you like to see them die?” Alex had the woman pressed against the wall and he was heaving it into her so that she could only squeal, her eyes closed tightly. Nancy shivered, though she wasn’t sure whether it was in excitement or fear.

“Yes,” she said. “I want to see them die.”

Julie flicked the pen over. This sex scene didn’t flicker to another… instead Alex brought her to a device – a guillotine, and brought her up. He mounted her, her head below the blade. And then he pushed up hard. She scrambled up, and just as she did, the blade fell.

Alex came off of her.

“Wow,” Nancy murmured.

“That’s one of the cheaper deaths,” Julie said. “Blades aren’t particularly expensive. The animal ones are much more expensive. We have sharks and elephants and snakes and tigers and pigs – just about anything you could ever hope for.” Her pen slid to another part of the screen and she tapped it twice. “This is someone who liked dogs.”

This one had no sex. Instead, a girl stood in the middle of the room, dogs surrounding her. She was petting them. Then, all of a sudden, they sprang for her and ravished her. Ten minutes past and they were finished… the girl was left a bleeding mess.

“I don’t want a death like that,” Nancy said.

“Not many people do,” Julie admitted. “But everyone is different.” Her pen flicked across the screen again. “Here’s a woman who wanted electrocution.”

This was a sexual death, and immediately Nancy smiled. This time it was Jonathon, and he was wonderful at it again… as she expected he would be. His magnificent body filled the entire screen until he lifted off the woman… or girl. She was about thirteen years old, in any case.

Then he picked up a device that looked like irons. And he came to her and put it on the girl’s underdeveloped breasts. The girl smiled for a second as Jonathon began turning up a dial. The girl’s brow became wrinkled… and then she screamed. The image faded out.

“That might be nice,” Nancy muttered.

“Yes, it might.” The screen went blank. Julie smiled. “We sell many deaths. There’s animal attacks and blades and drugs and other things of the sort. We even have cannibalism, if that’s your sort of thing.”

Nancy frowned. “I think Anna drowned, but I can’t be sure.”

Julie nodded politely. “That’s a cheaper death, perfect for the younger ones. How old was she at the time, do you know?”

“Seventeen.” Really, that was only a guess. Nancy tried to think, but it had been ten years ago. Ten long years. Perhaps she was younger? She didn’t remember. But it didn’t matter.

She stood up.

“Well, thank you very much, Julie.”

“My pleasure.” Julie stood up and shook her hand. “Perhaps we shall meet soon?”

Nancy smiled. “Yes. Very soon.”

“Shall we make an appointment tomorrow? At six o’clock, say?” When Nancy hesitated, Julie added, “If you want, you can inspect Jonathon then.”

Nancy had to smile. She thought about what Julie had just said and shook her head. “No, not at six. I have work and it takes seven minutes for me to walk here.”

Julie bit her lip. “Seven after six then?” Nancy smiled.

“That would be perfect.”

Julie laughed and waved her goodbye. “See you tomorrow!”

“Bye.”

Nancy picked up her umbrella, which had not yet closed, and shook it out once more before walking out into the rain and back home.

She forgot her coat.
Last edited by Snoink on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:24 pm
Galatea says...

Creepy.

Have you read the short story "Welcome to the Monkey House" by Kurt Vonnegut? If not, you need to.

You'll get a better review after I print it and write on it. I review best that way.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:40 am
Rei says...

I agree. Very creepy. The whole thing felt very real. The tone of the narrative, and the characters' behaviours were so accepting of the idea of buying your death. I imagine deaths that occurred outside these parlours is very unsual in this world. Great work, piggy!
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:34 am
Black Ghost says...

WOW :shock:

That was very good Snoink....I enjoyed it.

*walks off in shock*

*Edit* Lol, I did think it was really good though. It was really unique, too, unlike most things I've read. Great piece, Snoink :D

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:59 am
Swires says...

That is excellent! Its one of the most original pieces I've read in a long time, I love it how the characters see the whole thing as perfectly normal.

Great job!
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:40 pm
Rebelle says...

At first I felt reluctant to read this, just because the beginning paragraphs were so simplistic, but I realize now that that happy, simple way of writing it made it all the more eery, giving it a happy tone to all the murder. It is really well done, and the only grammatical thing I had was more of a question:
"It meant she didn’t have to cook as much, which was good since she wasn’t fond of cooking. Or clean. She hated cleaning."

When it says "Or clean" it might seem more natural to say, "Or cleaning," instead. Just a flow issue I had, but overall fantastic and creepy! I loved it!

=-=Liz=-=
It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living. (Terry Pratchett)

Passing by, passing trials;
passing life as in denial

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:33 pm
Swires says...

Yes, Rebelle is right, it sounds much better even though it isnt grammatically sound.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:53 pm
Gazza_14 says...

That was well cool, keep going!

KIDDING! (I know, i'm a hoot)

Really, really liked thit story. It was so atmospheric, and like many have touched on it was how accepting the world was of the parlours that made it more eerie. As for the start, i thought it worked perfectly, and didn't really put me off at all. I for one don't manage my characters very well, but Nancy is a really interesting, normal charcter, and her reaction is perfect. (Could you do a "knowing your character" on writing tips?, :) )
This is reminding me of Stephen King's short stories,hoorah! :
Stop. Look. Jive!

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:21 am
Emerson says...

And, oh! Was it a nice place!
IMO it should be 'And, oh [comma] was it a nice place!' it just seems funny to start the sentence with was. or making 'And, oh!' a sentence on its own.

There were many concerns about it at first, but as time passed
no Comma after first, I believe (I've always struggled with this so I'm not sure) the 'but' gives no need for commas

It meant she didn’t have to cook as much, which was good since she wasn’t fond of cooking. Or clean. She hated cleaning.
That lone sentence "Or clean." bugs the heck out of me. maybe "Or cleaning" or you could change it all and say "She didn't have to cook or clean as much, which was good since she wasn't fond of cooking. And she hated cleaning" I don't know, you choose how to change it, I just think "Or clean" is weird.

She knew it was of remarkable prestige by the way it looked.
I think you could safely cut out 'of remarkable prestige' since you already said it had that.

One thing I've noticed so far is the over use of 'she' try switching things up, going from she to here name. A trick I use is a try to, if at all possible, use the name then he/she every other time. But I'm just crazy like that :lol:

“It’s bad luck having an open umbrella inside,” a cheerful feminine voice said behind the counter.
If we have yet to see the girl, how do we know her voice came from behind the counter? What counter, even? Have we been told of a counter yet? I hope you understand what I mean by all this.

She was forced to smile.
Maybe we could be told what forced her to smile? The other girls cheerfulness? A sense of nervousness?

The girl. Actually, she wasn’t a girl. Nancy was just ancient.
This here is real confusing. First I assume you're speaking of the girl behind the counter, then you start speaking about Nancy. Did I miss something?

Julie nodded understandably.
I'm really finicky with -ly words. They're my pet-peeve. Maybe, "Julie nodded with understanding" or, if she really doesn't understand, "Julie nodded, pretending to understand" but that's just me.

But before she could say anything, Julie had snuggled up next to her, a large vidscreen in her lap.
IMHO I think you should add the word 'more' after 'anything, since she did already say something.

And at age forty years, eight months, and sixteen days, it was just an ancient dream.
saying 'at age forty years' sounds real awkward. I suggest taking out 'age'

Well, I'm all done! I've only read two of your stories, but I'm fascinated at how morbid and dark they are! These plots are amazing! You must tell me your plot secrete :-) Or no, keep them to yourself? My only suggestion is that the characters don't seem as good as hoped, the death parlor is rounder than them (If you know what I mean) They're just sort of flat characters. Wow this was a long critique! But it was for a good, enjoyable story so it was all worth while. I really like your stuff, a lot!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:14 am
Snoink says...

XD

Yay!

Okay, I've changed the "cleaning" sentence into something that's a little prettier, I think. Plus, like, five million people noticed that, and when I reread it, it was like, "EEP!" So yeah, it's changed. :)

I'll probably revise it further on a later date. *pokes story*

And I rated R because, for some strange reason, I didn't rate it before. And this is one of those things you can't sneak around. O_o

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:50 am
Jennafina says...

Wow. I think the creepiest thing about this is how friendly it all seems. Like you're discribing Hello Kitty or something else cute. I think you might have mentioned something about this in your blog at one point?

“Seventeen.” Really, that was only a guess. Nancy tried to think, but it had been ten years ago. Ten long years. Perhaps she was younger? She didn’t remember. But it didn’t matter.

She remembers the last time she had sex, but not the day her daughter died?! Haha. I guess. Funny-ish.

Julie flicked the pen over. This sex scene didn’t flicker to another… instead Alex brought her to a device – a guillotine, and brought her up. He mounted her, her head below the blade. And then he pushed up hard.

These sentences sound a little awkward. I think it's because they're all short, and in the same format (he did this, this did this.)

Nice work!
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:00 am
Snoink says...

Jennafina wrote:Wow. I think the creepiest thing about this is how friendly it all seems. Like you're discribing Hello Kitty or something else cute. I think you might have mentioned something about this in your blog at one point?

Probably. I'm very self-promoting. XD

She remembers the last time she had sex, but not the day her daughter died?! Haha. I guess. Funny-ish.

Yay! I was wondering if someone would notice that. XD

Julie flicked the pen over. This sex scene didn’t flicker to another… instead Alex brought her to a device – a guillotine, and brought her up. He mounted her, her head below the blade. And then he pushed up hard.

These sentences sound a little awkward. I think it's because they're all short, and in the same format (he did this, this did this.)

Nice work!

Haha... that is me avoiding a sex scene. XD

I'll clean it up one day, promise!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:00 am
Rydia says...

I just wanted to make a few specific points before I get on to the general critique...

It was called The Death Parlor, and what a fine establishment it was! [I don't think you need the comma in this sentence.

No, everyone could be treated equally there, depending how much money they paid. [I think it should be 'depending on how much money they paid.' It sounds like there's a word missing otherwise IMO.

And, oh! Was it a nice place! [This didn't sound quite right to me and I'm not sure about having two exclamation marks so close together. It weakens the affect if you use them too often. Perhaps - 'And oh, what a nice place it was!' Just a suggestion though.

There were many concerns about it at first, but as time passed, it became a very popular place to go. [I wouldn't have a comma after first. Instead, I'd have 'as time passed' as a subordinate claus like - 'There were many concerns about it at first but, as time passed, it became a very popular place to go.'

wanting finally to be free. [Something not quite right here. Wanting to finally be free might sound better or commas before and after finally.

“It’s bad luck having an open umbrella inside,” a cheerful feminine voice said behind the counter. [I know this isn't much to point out but I'd like to see a comma after cheerful.]

There were a few other places I'd put commas but nothing that matters too much and overall I really liked this. The tone of your story is brilliant and I suspected at the beginning what was going on but refused to believe it until they started talking about buying deaths. This has to be one of the most original pieces I've ever seen and yeah, scary stuff. I'd hate to think of early twenties as past middle age! Also, I like how Nancy is slightly reluctant. That helps make it more believable so good job!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:37 am
PenguinAttack says...

There were many concerns about it at first, but as time passed, it became a very popular place to go.

No comma after “passed”?

They were the single biggest reason why murders and suicides and depression and drug abuse and homosexuality and beatings and old age and abortions and petty theft and illnesses were eliminated– and everyone was glad.

I like this last sentence quite a bit.

It was a nice place and it was always cozy.

How does she know it is always cozy if she has never been in?

She passed by it everyday when she went to work, but never actually went in. She thought she was too busy for that kind of nonsense. So when Nancy stepped into the place, she wondered why she didn’t come in sooner.

“In the place” feels odd to read here, I don’t think you need it. “didn’t” also feels odd, I think it might feel better if it were “hadn’t” – makes clear that past tense. ^^

It was raining outside and the world seemed so dreary at the moment that it was only natural for her to come in. And she was glad. The temperature was moderate inside, and right beside her, there was a coat rack and an umbrella stand.

Comma after the “and” not before?

Julie’s eyes twinkled. “I see! You feel old and you want to connect yourself to your daughter. And you hope that our services will do it for you.”

Nancy stopped. “Perhaps,” she said hesitantly. Julie laughed.

Julie with her soulful eyes is a bully. :p

“If you’re asking whether I’ve been with Jonathon, the answer is no. Employees are not allowed sex with the robots.” She made a face and then laughed. “Maybe soon, though! I am getting old. Goodness, I’ll turn twenty-two in four months!”

Not with the robots aye… what about other employees? ;)

“Yes, it might.” The screen went blank. Julie smiled. “We sell many deaths. There’s animal attacks and blades and drugs and other things of the sort. We even have cannibalism, if that’s your sort of thing.”

“there’s” should be “there’re” no?

““It’s bad luck having an open umbrella inside” – so it would seem. ^^

That was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. That line, which I have so very eloquently quoted above, seems to just sum up what I thought of it all. It was surreal but somehow believable, in this gloriously twisted manner that makes me smile. Nancy is ancient, and yet so very naive and sad that I can’t help but feel for the poor woman.

Some small issues, I’ve already pointed out. I think you ended it at a great place, her forgetting her coat. I’m not sure why, but I like how detached and solid that line is as an end.

Great work, Curves my dear. You astound me with your brilliance. ^^

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:57 pm
PerforatedxHearts says...

Lovethislovethislovethis.

I remember the first time reading it, I had to go run and hide under my pillow.

Not really, but you get the idea.

What I love is the use of dialogue. It's so, so realistic.

--Seree.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

Moo.
— Cow