z

Young Writers Society

Door

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:10 pm
frenchfreckles says...

You can hear them behind you. The crude harmony of grinding metal and clanks, get closer and closer as you keep running in desperation.
Trees flew by you, their branches whipping your face, knarred roots tripping your already sore feet, but you didn’t care. All you cared about was finding the door. The door that will end this sick game, and hopefully take you home.
You keep your eyes locked on the girl in front of you, her ponytail bobbing up and down as she too, frantically scrambled over roots, away from the Robots. Your leg muscles burn and cramps run along your side, but you didn’t slow down. The clanks and whirls were getting close and closer. Gritting your teeth, you ignore the protests of your body and push on.
Where is the door?! Where is the door?! You wonder as you frantically rack your brain trying to remember clues or figure out the best possible places to put a door in the forest-like the forest would ever have a random door leading to who knows where.
The girl in front of you stops and crumbles over. You rush over to her kneeling down, only to find her sobbing, fat tears leaking out of her eyes. I can’t do this. I can’t go on, she chokes out. You shake your head vigorously and quickly help her stand, wasting no time. Yes, you can. Just hang on a little bit more. We’re almost there. And with that you’re off, going slower now, the girl sniffling beside you.
You feel a spark of annoyance bubble up in you. Time is crucial and all this girl was doing was slowing you down. For a brief moment, you consider leaving her. You didn’t need her. The temptation is almost irresistible but with a sigh, you push the thought away. Who knows? You might need her later on. After all, two is better than one in this game.
You and the girl come across a creek, the clear water flowing lazily down through the trees, trickling over smooth pebbles and rocks. The sun glinted brightly and reflected off the ripples in the creek. Look over there! The girl pointed to the other side of the creek, where in between two trees, you can see a sliver of white blatant amongst the green foliage. For a moment you don’t believe your eyes. Can it really be…?
The door! The door! The door! The girl yells, jumping up and down, a big grin on her face. Slowly, your tense body relaxes, your body feeling renewed and light from relief. Yeah, you laugh and throwing your head back you let out a hearty whoop. Finally. After hours of searching you find it. It’s all done. All done…
Wait, the girl says, how do we get over to it? Both you and the girl look around but there is nothing that can get you across the creek. The creek wasn’t that wide. You roll up your pant legs and take off your shoes, holding it high up in the air. Come on, you say.
The water was cool and refreshing on your aching feet as you both waded across. There is more bounce in your step now that you have founded the door. You and the girl were halfway across the creek when all of a sudden, everything went quiet. There were no birds chirping or leaves rustling in the wind. Everything was silent.
You and the girl stop and look around in confusion. Warily you start to walk again, more alert. At the other side of the creek, you and the girl quickly put your shoes back on and jog hastily towards the door.
All at once, in a single sounding BOOM! Robots from all directions appear from behind the bushes and trees, all of them converging towards both of you in a mass chaos of metal. Their misshapen eyes were narrowed, glowing red with anger and the hunger to kill. Random pieces of metal shaped like hands stuck out of their bodies. Black oily substances oozed out from between cracks in their body. Clanks and whirls fill the once silent air.
Panic grips your heart and you stared, startled at the amount of Robots. There was nowhere to turn, nowhere to hide. They were all coming at you. The girl screams. One of the Robots had grabbed her arm. You break out of your trance and race at the Robot, grabbing a stick from the ground. You hit it as hard as you can. All you hear is a dull thunk, but the Robot didn’t let go.
Her screams intensified as another Robot grabbed her arm and then another. You stand helplessly as Robot after Robot attack her, her body slowly disappearing underneath the metal. You feel sick. Oh, you feel very sick. Soon, there was no more. No more screams, no more girl. Tears leaked out of your eyes, but no. There was no time to cry. The Robots were coming after you now, even more hungrier than before.
You can see the door, it is just over there but how do you get there? The Robots were everywhere… Something cold touched your wrist. You snatched your hand away and barreled, right through the Robots. You have no choice. Either run through and take your chances, or die like the girl.
They pulled at your hair, they grabbed at your feet and hands, but you kept pushing through, fear and adrenaline pulsing through your body. Just to the door, just to the door. You kept repeating in your head. You were right there when a Robot coming out from under a bush, tripped you sending you sprawling. You landed on your back, dazed. The Robots were on you now. You scrambled backwards with your hands and knees your back now touching the door. They were pulling your back with their cold metals hands on your legs. Desperately you grabbed the gold handle of the white door. With a loud crunch, a searing pain shot up your leg. All you see is stars. With a scream you fling open the door. Bright white light shot out, you can’t anything beyond that.
Please, let that be home, you pray and with the last bit of your energy, you heave yourself through the door.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:09 pm
AlfonsoFernandez says...

Good job! I think it was an amazing story, although there are some mistakes that I would like to point out:
Trees flew by you,
You began the story in present, and then you switched to past.
as she too, frantically scrambled over roots, away from the Robots. Your leg muscles burn and cramps run along your side, but you didn’t slow down. The clanks and whirls were getting close and closer.
Here again, you have verbs in present and in past. I think you meant to say "The clanks and whirls were getting closer and closer".
I think you should also explain to us a bit more about the Robots, either when you mention them the first time or later on. You describe how they look like, but nothing else.
Look over there! The girl pointed to the other side of the creek, where in between two trees, you can see a sliver of white blatant amongst the green foliage.
I think you should have quoted "Look over there!" or put it in Italic text like you did with your other quotes.
There is more bounce in your step now that you have founded the door.
founded, you said, where it should be written "found" like the verb "to find", and you wrote the verb "to found".
everything went quiet. There were no birds chirping or leaves rustling in the wind. Everything was silent.
You have also used past here.
Their misshapen eyes were narrowed, glowing red with anger and the hunger to kill. Random pieces of metal shaped like hands stuck out of their bodies. Black oily substances oozed out from between cracks in their body. Clanks and whirls fill the once silent air.
Panic grips your heart and you stared, startled at the amount of Robots. There was nowhere to turn, nowhere to hide. They were all coming at you. The girl screams. One of the Robots had grabbed her arm. You break out of your trance and race at the Robot, grabbing a stick from the ground. You hit it as hard as you can. All you hear is a dull thunk, but the Robot didn’t let go.
Again, you should have used the present tense.
Tears leaked out of your eyes, but no. There was no time to cry. The Robots were coming after you now, even more hungrier than before.
You can see the door, it is just over there but how do you get there? The Robots were everywhere… Something cold touched your wrist. You snatched your hand away and barreled, right through the Robots. You have no choice. Either run through and take your chances, or die like the girl.
They pulled at your hair, they grabbed at your feet and hands, but you kept pushing through, fear and adrenaline pulsing through your body. Just to the door, just to the door. You kept repeating in your head. You were right there when a Robot coming out from under a bush, tripped you sending you sprawling. You landed on your back, dazed. The Robots were on you now. You scrambled backwards with your hands and knees your back now touching the door. They were pulling your back with their cold metals hands on your legs. Desperately you grabbed the gold handle of the white door. With a loud crunch, a searing pain shot up your leg.
Here again, you used the past tense. I recommend that next time check for the tenses, because that's where you made most of your mistakes.
Other than that, I found the story really good, it captured me and made me keep reading until the end. Congratulations! Keep it up!
"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read."
- Pliny the Elder

[insert inspiring quote]

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:56 pm
barefootrunner says...

I think that Alfonso got most of those tenses, but you have a spelling mistake, "knarred", in the first paragraph, which should be "gnarled". I love this story! It is so scary, it is a perfect description of a terrible dream which could so easily be a reality in future. I don't think that you need to describe anything more, the mystery adds to the story to me, so it seems to be a matter of taste. Still, great job!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan