z

Young Writers Society

Planet of the Lost - Part 2: The Wraiths

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:29 am
PaulClover says...

We manage to scrounge together a camp, lighting fires from the clothes of those we have buried. I stand away from the others, staring off into the abyss of the planet. This desert planet is exactly as it appears: a wasteland, filled with nothing more than sand and the rotting corpses of our dead.

The other survivors give me strange looks. One asks me if I am sick, tells me to lie down. I say no, friend, I'm right as rain. Just a little shaken. Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Just a little shaken. But I'm not okay, and I know it. My head is like drumbeat, and a voice – barely above a whisper – echoes within my conscience. I try to ignore it, but it's like a parasite growing with my skull, pulsing and squealing like disembodied embryo. I grit my teeth, and pray – oh, God how I pray – that it will abate and leave me my sanity.

My people make plans. We have no food, no water, no weapons. Tomorrow, they decide, we will make a run for the ship, when the sun is low in the sky. I watch these discussions with a dull sense of apathy. It's as if there is an invisible wall between myself and the others.

Still, I volunteer to take the first watch while the others sleep inside the pods. The woman who wept for Robert Brown takes the same shift. For a few minutes, we keep watch together, neither of us saying a word as we stare out into the faceless ocean of sand. The desert is a void of silence and stillness, as if it is frozen in time, oblivious to its visitors.

The woman turns to me, and asks what it is that I do. I tell her that I am the custodian, and ask her what is she does. She tells me she was the pilot's assistant, training to earn her own ship and crew. Her name, she tells me, is Loraine.

Tell me about yourself, says Loraine.

I tell her there's nothing to know.

There's always something to know, she says.

I tell her I don't know, and mean it. My mind has jumbled mess since the crash, my memory a jumbled train wreck. Hell, I tell her, I barely even remember the crash.

I'm lucky, she tells me. I don't have to remember the crash, the screaming, the dying, the fire. She looks upset, like she's about to start crying.

Hey, I say, trying to comfort her. Tell me about yourself, Loraine.

Nothing to know, she says sarcastically.

I see you have a ring, I say. Someone special?

It is a beautiful ring, as gold as a thousand suns with a diamond the color of the bluest ocean. She holds it aloft, letting it sparkle in the light of the fire. Her mouth shudders to form words, but suddenly, she begins to cry. It's not hopeless, deathly cry, but the cry of someone is who sad, hurt, lonely.

I try to put my arm around her, but she rejects my comfort.

What happened to your arm, she says, her tears stifling.

I say nothing. My arm?

She takes my arm in her hand and turns its underside upwards, revealing a tangled web of lacerations. I gawk, unable to accept the fact that I haven't noticed these yet. The wounds are dark pink and still sensitive as she prods them.

Must have happened during the crash, I say, not quite sure I believe this myself.

Huh, she mumbles. A vague hint of suspicion fills her eyes. They almost look self-inflicted, she says, her voice barely above a whisper.

Something moves in the corner of my eye.

I jump to my feet, yanking my arm away from Loraine's probing . A figure is moving amidst the darkness, slinking about. It looks human, as far as I can tell. It is walking over the graves, hobbling towards our makeshift camp.

I tell Loraine to wake the others. She complies, shaking as she gets to her feet. I hear her footsteps fade behind me.

There are more figures now, joining the other in its crusade. Sand drips off their forms like water as they shuffle towards the camp. I hear stirring behind me as the others are woken. I keep my eyes on the intruders, somehow knowing that what is coming for us is almost certainly not human.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and nearly jump out of my skin. I turn to see Loraine behind me, her eyes filled with fear.

I return my gaze to the intruders, but they are gone. Am I imagining them? The voice inside my head tells me that yes, I was imagining them, that the desert and its stresses are playing tricks on me. I hear the whispers of others behind me, but I dare not turn around. They are there, I can feel them, I can –

A scream erupts. They are among us, and I know without having to see. Ispin around in time to see Loraine's back as she tries to flee. One of the figures grabs her from behind, lifting her weight as if she were nothing. She kicks and screams in protest.

As I run towards her, pandemonium ensues all around me. The screams and cries of my fellow passengers erupt as the creatures make their assault. Shadows struggle and fight in the periphery of my vision. I sprint towards the woman, desperate to fend off the phantom.

The figure holding Loraine has her in a choke-hold, her legs flailing beneath her. With all the force I can muster, I tackle it to the ground, taking the crying woman with us. The figure turns to me, and I see the scarred, decaying face of Robert Brown. Death has shaken all humanity from him, and the sad blue eyes have gone all but black.

Does it speak to you? it rasps, a demonic smile curling around its lips.

Before I can say or do anything, he shoves me into the air with a strength no human being could possibly posses. I tumble into the sand, helpless.

The thing that was once Robert Brown lifts Loraine – the woman who wept over him, the woman who could have saved him – and begins to sink into the Earth, as if disappearing under the surface of water. I somehow get to my feet, and stumble back over to where the predator and its prey are being consumed by the sand. It is happening fast, and all that remains is the woman's torso jutting out from beneath the ground, her arms reaching out to grasp at air.

I reach for the woman's hand, grab hold of it and hold as tight and firm as I can. Horror fills her eyes, her shaking voice spouting incoherent words as she is pulled beneath the earth. I hold on with every ounce of strength left to me, but it is not enough, and as her hands slip away, I hear one final muffled screech as Loraine and Robert Brown are consumed by the planet.

I scratch at the surface of the sand, trying to reach them before it is too late. With every ounce of will left to me, I tear and claw at the planet's skin, past the sand and into the hard dirt. But there is nothing I can do.

All around me I hear the sobs and shrieks of the other survivors. The attack is over. All around me I hear my suspicions confirmed: our dead have taken our living, dragging them down beneath the earth to whatever Hell they have been condemned to.

I bury my face in my hands and begin to weep. The ashes of the fires are scattering, the light of the flames dwindled to nothing amidst the dark. They're gone, whispers the voice inside my skull. The planet took them.
===============================================================================
Part 3: The Truth - http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic76779.html
Last edited by PaulClover on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
Remember your name. Do not lose hope — what you seek will be found. Trust ghosts. Trust those that you have helped to help you in their turn. Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story. - Neil Gaiman

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 am
Tommybear says...

Im loving this story! Only a few grammatical silly errors, besides that PERFECTION! keep it up :D
Formerly TmB317

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:23 am
Kafkaescence says...

I liked Chapter One enough that I thought Chapter Two might be worth reading. Well, since you're you, I knew it would be worth reading. And it was.

My critiques:

Is the not adding quotation marks really worth it? I know you're trying to go for a somewhat detached, maybe even dreamlike feeling, but simply not inserting quotation marks where they're needed won't get you there. You're going to need more than that. And you do have more than that. So doing this is very unnecessary. Quotation marks kind of stimulate the reader, make them more interested in what's happening. Dialog just has this special quality about it. You have dialog, but it's not quite the same without the quotation marks. Not quite as intriguing.

You refer to the fellow crash-landers by using the word "other" or "others" every single time you reference them. This gets somewhat annoying for the reader. Mix it up a little. It won't hurt anyone.

That's all I've got for you right now. Keep writing, and I'll get to the third chapter soon.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:58 am
roostangarar says...

First off, I'm really getting into these stories. Secondly, you're getting a lot better. And now to jump straight in!

We manage to scrounge together a camp, lighting fires from the clothes of those we have buried (Clothes don't burn that well. Like paper.). I stand away from the others, staring off into the abyss of the planet (Abyss indicates it's a great big hole, but in the first chapter you described it as a flat desert. You need some consistency). This desert planet is exactly as it appears: a wasteland, filled with nothing more than sand and the rotting corpses of our dead.

The other survivors give me strange looks. One asks me if I am sick, tells me to lie down. I say no, friend, I'm right as rain. Just a little shaken. Yeah, that's what I tell myself. Just a little shaken. But I'm not okay, and I know it. My head is pounding inside my head like drumbeat, and a voice – barely above a whisper – echoes inside my head (You said head three time in one sentence, it isn't necessary). I try to ignore it, but it's like a parasite growing within my skull, pulsing and squealing like a disembodied embryo. I grit my teeth, and pray – oh, God how I pray – that it will abate and leave me my sanity.

My people make plans. We have no food, no water, no weapons. Tomorrow, they decide, we will make a run for the ship, when the sun is low in the sky. I watch these discussions with a dull sense of apathy. It's as if there is an invisible wall between myself and the others (I like this part. You're really describing the hero's emotions).

Still, I volunteer to take the first watch while the others sleep inside the pods. The woman who wept for Robert Brown takes the same shift. For a few minutes, we keep watch together, neither of us saying a word as we stare out into the faceless ocean of sand. The desert is a void of silence and stillness, as if it is frozen in time, oblivious to its visitors (I like the innocent irony of 'oblivious', which makes it link well with the climax later on).

The woman turns to me, and asks what it is that I do. I tell her that I am the custodian, and ask her what is she does. She tells me she was the pilot's assistant, training to earn her own ship and crew. Her name, she tells me, is Loraine.

Tell me about yourself, says Loraine.

I tell her there's nothing to know.

There's always something to know, she says.

I tell her I don't know, and mean it. My mind has (become? been? You need another word here) jumbled mess since the crash, my memory a jumbled train wreck (You used jumbled twice, if you repeat yourself, it begins to bore the reader and it loses it's impact). Hell, I tell her, I barely even remember the crash.

I'm lucky, she tells me. I don't have to remember the crash, the screaming, the dying, the fire. She looks upset, like she's about to start crying.

Hey, I say, trying to comfort her. Tell me about yourself, Loraine.

Nothing to know, she says sarcastically.

I see you have a ring, I say. Someone special?

It is a beautiful ring, as gold as a thousand suns with a diamond the color of the bluest ocean. She holds it aloft, letting it sparkle in the light of the fire. Her mouth shudders to form words, but suddenly, she begins to cry. It's not hopeless, deathly cry, but the cry of someone is who sad, hurt, lonely.

I try to put my arm around her, but she rejects my comfort.

What happened to your arm, she says, her tears stifling.

I say nothing. My arm?

She takes my arm in her hand and turns its underside upwards, revealing a tangled web of lacerations. I gawk, unable to accept the fact that I haven't noticed these yet. The wounds are dark pink and still sensitive as she prods them.

Must have happened during the crash, I say, not quite sure I believe this myself.

Huh, she mumbles. A vague hint of suspicion fills her eyes. They almost look self-inflicted, she says, her voice barely above a whisper.

Something moves in the corner of my eye.

I jump to my feet, yanking my arm away from Loraine's probing . A figure is moving amidst the darkness, slinking about. It looks human, as far as I can tell. It is walking over the graves, hobbling towards our makeshift camp.

I tell Loraine to wake the others. She complies, shaking as she gets to her feet. I hear her footsteps fade behind me.

There are more figures now, joining the other in its crusade. Sand drips off their forms like water as they shuffle towards the camp. I hear stirring behind me as the others are woken. I keep my eyes on the intruders, somehow knowing that what is coming for us is almost certainly not human.

I feel a hand on my shoulder, and nearly jump out of my skin. I turn to see Loraine behind me, her eyes filled with fear.

I return my gaze to the intruders, but they are gone. Am I imagining them? The voice inside my head tells me that yes, I was imagining them, that the desert and its stresses are playing tricks on me. I hear the whispers of others behind me, but I dare not turn around. They are there, I can feel them, I can –

A scream erupts. They are among us, and I know without having to see. I spin spin (You only need one) around in time to see Loraine's back as she tries to flee. One of the figures grabs her from behind, lifting her weight as if she were nothing. She kicks and screams in protest.

As I run towards her, pandemonium ensues all around me. The screams and cries of my fellow passengers erupt as the creatures make their assault. Shadows struggle and fight in the periphery of my vision. I sprint towards the woman, desperate to fend off the phantom.

The figure holding Loraine has her in a choke-hold, her legs flailing beneath her. With all the force I can muster, I tackle it to the ground, taking the crying woman with us. The figure turns to me, and I see the scarred, decaying face of Robert Brown. Death has shaken all humanity from him, and the sad blue eyes have gone all but black.

Does it speak to you? It rasps, a demonic smile curling around its lips.

Before I can say or do anything, he shoves me into the air with a strength no human being could possibly posses. I tumble onto the sand, helpless.

The thing that was once Robert Brown lifts Loraine – the woman who wept over him, the woman who could have saved him – and begins to sink into the Earth, as if disappearing under the surface of water. I somehow get to my feet, and stumble back over to where the predator and its prey are being consumed by the sand. It is happening fast, and all that remains is the woman's torso jutting out from beneath the ground, her arms reaching out to grasp at air.

I reach for the woman's hand, grab hold of it and hold as tight and firm as I can. Horror fills her eyes, her shaking voice spouting incoherent words as she is pulled beneath the earth. I hold on with every ounce of strength left to me, but it is not enough, and as her hands slip away, I hear one final muffled screech as Loraine and Robert Brown are consumed by the planet.

I scratch at the surface of the sand, trying to reach them before it is too late. With every ounce of will left to me, I tear and claw at the planet's skin, past the sand and into the hard dirt. But there is nothing I can do (These last three paragraphs are pretty similar to the movie "The Time Machine". I don't know if that's intentional or not).

All around me I hear the sobs and shrieks of the other survivors. The attack is over. All around me I hear my suspicions confirmed: our dead have taken our living, dragging them down beneath the earth to whatever Hell they have been condemned to.

I bury my face in my hands and begin to weep. The ashes of the fires are scattering, the light of the flames dwindling to nothing amidst the dark. They're gone, whispers the voice inside my skull. The planet took them.

Overall, there are a lot less mistakes than the first chapter, and I can tell that you've really started to describe the emotions of the narrator, meaning we get more into touch with him and can connect better as a result. Excellent work, keep it up!

Roo
I hae but ane gallant son, and if he were to follow me in my footsteps, how proud I shall be.

Time isn't a straight line. It's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun May 08, 2011 7:33 pm
silentpages says...

Great imagery throughout this... I liked the lines about how his head feels, and the voice he's hearing.

"We have no food, no water, no weapons." Weren't these escape pods equipped at all? Even lifeboats at sea usually have some supplies in them, don't they? Then again, from the sounds of things, these pods weren't very well-made either. Which brings me to another thing I'm wondering about. What kind of ship were they on? Scientific, research? Travel, colonization/sight-seeing? A ship carting prisoners around the galaxy to keep them off of their homeworld? Why were these people on a spaceship, and why in heaven's name weren't their emergency provisions better?

Why do they have to make a run for it? What are they keeping watch for? How much do they know about this seemingly-deserted planet?

Predictions: Robert Brown was her fiance/husband.
Our MC initiated the crash, though he doesn't remember it. >:)

Excellent action scenes, and great job developing the creepy atmosphere. :) I'm starting to see your plot developing, and I'm really liking this so far... I go to devour the next part. ;)

Keep writing! :)
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun May 08, 2011 10:16 pm
LittlePrincess says...

This story is fantastic - as promised here I am for part 2. I like how you don't have quotation marks because it makes it seem more... in the story. I don't know how to describe it but I like it a lot . Don't listen to what anyone else says, keep them out!
I don't really have any nitpicks or anything, describe the "creatures" a bit more because I was confused about that, eventually you say they've taken the dead bodies (which is so creepy!) but when they first come in say they look human or something. That is all. If I have time I'll check out part 3 today.
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
— Robert Brault