z

Young Writers Society

A Quaint Little Township

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 am
View Likes
Sean says...

Hey guys. Been lurking intermittently on these forums for about 2 years, and tonight I was finally inspired to put pen to paper (or hands to keyboard, whatever xD) and write something. Now, the basic premise I've been toying with for a long time; something involving zombies quite possibly, but this is only a very small prologue I only knocked up in the last few hours, and as such, it's a long way from involving zombies yet.
But I'm hoping to provoke some interest at least so please tell me exactly what you think, and be as harsh as necessary. I want to get to a stage where people are reading it because they enjoy, and want to follow, the story, rather than feel forced to simply review it.
Anyway enough rattling on or this will end up longer than the story itelf. So....

May 4th 2013

It was a typically peaceful (some might very well have said mundane) night in Franklin Township, a quaint little borough of Portage County, Ohio. The Township Hall, mainstay of the Franklin community, was built in 1837. A fairly plain brick building with an astonishingly well-kept lawn, the flagpole was the main feature of the Hall; almost as tall as the building itself, it provided support for a wonderfully large American flag, which was fluttering meekly in the breeze. The rooms within were dark and, in fact, the entire Main Street was a picture of calm; nary a sound to be heard - save for, perhaps, the subdued, constant call of the crickets - and the muffled din eminanting from No. 16 Main Street. It was a little past midnight by the time Gary emerged from the house, and he was seething.
The door was violently slammed shut and, beer in hand, he stumbled towards his crystal-blue '87 Chevy Camaro. Once upon a time it might have been able to get away with calling itself a classy, elegant vehicle but, what with being over 25 years old, those days were sadly long behind it. And without wanting to draw too many obvious comparisons, the Camaro might well have been an allegory for Gary himself. Balding, and possessing an ever-expanding paunch, Gary liked a beer or two; or better yet, half a dozen when the occasion took him. Tonight Shelly had managed to tape over the game; the Browns were playing the Broncos, always an event for Gary, and she had managed to tape over it.
With what, he didn't know or care to find out, as he fumbled with his keys, awkwardly prodding away at the lock's rim. After several attempts, he finally slotted and turned the key, swinging himself into the driver's seat, an act that sounds far more graceful on the page than you might think. Gary swayed gingerly, but steeled himself for the all-important ignition stage; he managed to turn the car on in one.
"You've still got it" he mumbled, congratulating himself on this feat. Hoping Shelly would hear him, he slammed the door shut with as much force he could muster. (Gary wouldn't notice until much later that this was what caused the left-wing mirror to unhinge and sag, making it almost entirely useless for the purposes of road navigation) Welcome to the Jungle blared out of the speakers. Gary didn't exactly have any destination in mind - or a proficiently functioning mind in order to choose a particular destination - but he drove, and seemed almost inexorably drawn to Franklin's main attraction; the Rockwell Lake Dam. Unsurprisingly, the car wobbled from side to side as he passed Main Street; Gary squinted through the darkness as Axl Rose's screams broke through the once-silent darkness.

As Gary approached the shoreline, he was almost certain that he heard an unusual noise emanating from somewhere toward the middle of the lake, almost as if a brick had been dropped from a great height. Several birds bolted from the trees around the lake that housed them; squaking frantically, the generally perpetual calmness was again interrupted. This time Gary could in no way be blamed, of course.
It was, by all accounts, a minor miracle that he and his Camaro had even made it to the dam, and better still, that Gary had gingerly walked to the shore without losing his balance. He didn't particularly locate the most idyllic of spots, either - rather than the usual sun-kissed, white-sanded beaches one would normally associate with a coastline, only mud and sludge seperated the river from the land. Most probably they were a product of the Dam itself, which, by preventing the natural flow of the Cuyahoga River, causes an intense build-up of sediment. Gary was downstream, at the mouth of the mad-made "Lake" Rockwell, one of the many lakes that the great river flowed into. Meandering slowly back through the forests and out of sight, to Gary's left, was the river, and dividing the two was the dam itself.
By Ohio standards, the dam was positively insignificant in size, although it certainly made Gary feel small; a metal behemoth stretching from one bank of the river to the other, providing the main source of drinking water for not only the township, but the surrounding counties. The moonlight reflected off the water majestically, bathing the area in an almost eerie silver glow; Gary was mesmerised as he sipped on his Budweiser. The first pangs of guilt over the wholly unnecessary row with Shelly were beginning to permeate his relaxed mind, making him uneasy. A bigger gulp of the Budweiser.
He rubbed his forehead; the hangover was a long way away, but his guilt was only just asserting itself. Deep in contemplation, he was in no way prepared for the tremendous noise that he suddenly heard.
Gary flung his head back - throwing him off his precariously maintained balance - as an enormous bird screeched above him. He landed, rather painfully, in the muddy banks of the lake.
"Fuck!" he yelled, his back absorbing the brunt of the force. Before he could build on that near-automatic expletive, he searched, wide-eyed, for the bird he had just heard, his mind racing. It took him several moments to come to the realisation that it wasn't a bird at all - rather a plane, or some sort of enormous flying object, completely devoid of any lights. Silhouetted against the night sky, it streaked above the canopy of the trees, just skirting the edges of the dam before plummeting into the river upstream. The whine of rapidly pressured metal could be heard, although several miles away, with consummate clarity. The noise was unlike anything he had ever heard; had he held his head to the Camaro's speakers with Guns N' Roses turned up to 11, he surmised that it wouldn't even be halfway close to the roar that had just caused his very bones to shake. A rush of adrenaline surged through his veins as he sat, back aching, caked in mud, on the shores. As shocking as the crash had been, the worst was yet to come for Gary.
"My bud..." he whispered, mournfully. He was right; the can was just about visible as the currents took it out of sight. Gary leant back, let out a very well-earned sigh, and tried to make sense of everything.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:14 pm
View Likes
seeminglymeaningless says...

Hey :) First off, maybe you should take your story out of the quote formatting, and put your Author's Note as a quote, or even hide it with a spoiler :P Would look neater that way :) Repetition in green.

Sean wrote:May 4th 2013
It was a typically peaceful (some might very well have said mundane) night in Franklin Township, a quaint little borough of Portage County, Ohio. The Township Hall, mainstay of the Franklin community, was built in 1837. A fairly plain brick building with an astonishingly well-kept lawn, the flagpole was the main feature of the Hall; almost as tall as the building itself, it provided support for a wonderfully large American flag, which was fluttering meekly in the breeze. The rooms within were dark and, in fact, the entire Main Street was a picture of calm; nary a sound to be heard - save for, perhaps, the subdued, constant call of the crickets - and the muffled din eminanting from No. 16 Main Street. It was a little past midnight by the time Gary emerged from the house, and he was seething.

Nice opening you have here. The highlighted words in blue - yes. So many adverbs! While a good adverb can set the scene, too many clutter the text. You need to say the flag fluttered meekly? Is the flag really wonderful in its largeness? Was the well-kept lawn really astonishing? :P See what I mean? You also might want to add a last name to Gary. So far you've been really informative: Portage County, Ohio;Township Hall; Franklin community; No. 16 Main Street - but you didn't give Gary a last name. It seems out of place. But that's only a small thing.

The door was violently slammed shut and, beer in hand, he stumbled towards his crystal-blue '87 Chevy Camaro.

Stephen King hates actions like that. "The car was started", "the boy had tripped", "the cat would move across the room". He believes that people who write like that aren't confident in writing for the now. Do you need the "was" in that sentence? Would it read better without it?

Once upon a time it might have been able to get away with calling itself a classy, elegant vehicle but, what with being over 25 years old, those days were sadly long behind it. And without wanting to draw too many obvious comparisons, the Camaro might well have been an allegory for Gary himself. Balding, and possessing an ever-expanding paunch, Gary liked a beer or two; or better yet, half a dozen when the occasion took him. Tonight Shelly had managed to tape over the game; the Browns were playing the Broncos, always an event for Gary, and she had managed to tape over it.

Generally numbers are spelled out below one hundred. 10083 is fine to write as numerals, two is not, etc etc. You also haven't given a last name to Shelly.

Gary didn't exactly have any destination in mind - or a proficiently functioning mind in order to choose a particular destination - but he drove, and seemed almost inexorably drawn to Franklin's main attraction; the Rockwell Lake Dam. Unsurprisingly, the car wobbled from side to side as he passed Main Street; Gary squinted through the darkness as Axl Rose's screams broke through the once-silent darkness.

This is the best paragraph yet. Very well written, and it just flows.

It was, by all accounts, a minor miracle that he and his Camaro had even made it to the dam, and better still, that Gary had gingerly walked to the shore without losing his balance. He didn't particularly locate the most idyllic of spots, either - rather than the usual sun-kissed, white-sanded beaches one would normally associate with a coastline, only mud and sludge seperated the river from the land. Most probably they were a product of the Dam itself, which, by preventing the natural flow of the Cuyahoga River, causes an intense build-up of sediment. Gary was downstream, at the mouth of the mad-made "Lake" Rockwell, one of the many lakes that the great river flowed into. Meandering slowly back through the forests and out of sight, to Gary's left, was the river, and dividing the two was the dam itself.

If you've capitalized it once, you should keep to that trend. Also, unless the river is a major plot device, there shouldn't be so much information on it. :P

Well, wow. That was a very entertaining read! I'm very glad I stopped by. I do hope you continue to write it, as I want to know what Gary heard. I hope Gary's not the main character though. I don't see how you could make him into a hero of any kind *wrinkles nose*

Your grammar is fantastic, you write descriptive paragraphs and I like the style of writing you have chosen. Please PM me if you continue with this. It is something that I would really like to continue reading :)

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 pm
View Likes
Jetpack says...

Hey, Sean. I'll second seeminglymeaningless in that you should take the story out of quotes and hide your author's note, mainly because both are distracting to the reader. Of course I'll keep your concerns in mind, but if you want me to enjoy the story rather than read simply to review, as you said, it's better that I read your thoughts afterwards.

Nitpicks

These are just a few grammar/punctuation issues I found.

Balding, and possessing an ever-expanding paunch, Gary liked a beer or two; or better yet, half a dozen when the occasion took him. Tonight Shelly had managed to tape over the game; the Browns were playing the Broncos, always an event for Gary, and she had managed to tape over it.

You like semi-colons a lot. Nothing wrong with semi-colons, but they don't work well if you overuse them.

"You've still got itcomma," he mumbled

(Gary wouldn't notice until much later that this was what caused the left-wing mirror to unhinge and sag, making it almost entirely useless for the purposes of road navigationfull stop.) [italics]Welcome to the Jungle[/italics] blared out of the speakers.

I can't tell whether your omitting the italics was just a coding issue or not, but I deliberately mistyped the code so you can see where they would go.

attraction; the Rockwell Lake Dam.

Should be a colon rather than a semi-colon here.

squawking frantically, the generally perpetual calmness was again interrupted.

The sentence structure here is such that "squawking frantically" (as opposed to "squaking") actually describes "the generally perpetual calmness" here, which of course doesn't make sense. I'd consider rewording this.

locate the most idyllic

Don't use "locate" here; it's clunky and doesn't quite make sense. Consider using "find".

Style and Language

Your style is very, very thick. It verges on purple prose at points, but is generally readable, so I won't follow that through any further. The style is only intrusive because it's at such odds with the MC here; Gary is drunk, and your prose is so stiffly formal that when he swears, it's very jarring next to your voice. Basically, I don't think your style suits the character. That's not an issue as long as you're aware of it, and know when the contrast gets too much.

I like the detail of some of the descriptions, particularly of the Hall at the beginning, but be careful not to info dump. Do we really have to know right now when the Hall was built? In fact, I had the impression Gary was in the Hall for a bit, as in opening with it, you've drawn our attention to that building with the microscopic description. The information about the river is also a little too much, because it doesn't add anything. If you're including specific detail, try to think about the purpose that detail serves. For example, when you describe the Camaro, you're using it to develop Gary's character. When you describe the river, you could be using it to build up an atmosphere; try to make sure you have a focus in mind.

As seeminglymeaningless said, you do have a lot of adverbs. Run a search on "ly" in Word, if that's what you're using, and you'll see just how many there are - I think you'll find it's about thirty, at a guess. I'll link you to this article, because though adverbs do sometimes help to clarify images, often they're just clunky and jerk the reader out of the story. That's especially true if they're obscure, like "proficiently", or if you repeat them, as you do "gingerly" in this piece.

On a similar note, watch your vocabulary. A good vocabulary doesn't always equal a good piece of writing; you have to use your vocabulary well and when it's needed to ensure that the flow isn't lost. A three or four syllable word is always difficult to slot effectively into a sentence, but two or three of them and you're often going to lose the sense of fluidity. That's a real problem when you have a scene as atmospheric as this one becomes towards the end, when you need all the reader's senses to be on red alert. Swamping them in thesaurus words doesn't help that; sometimes simple is better.

I know you don't use dialogue very often, but don't worry about using "said". Here, I noticed you'd avoided it. I'm not sure whether that's going to be a hallmark of your writing or not, but I figured I'd just mention it so you don't lapse into finding more and more odd combinations of adverbs and speech tags to dodge "said". "Said" works fine most of the time.

I'm in two minds about the jerky asides to the reader every so often.

(some might very well have said mundane)

And without wanting to draw too many obvious comparisons

(Gary wouldn't notice until much later that this was what caused the left-wing mirror to unhinge and sag, making it almost entirely useless for the purposes of road navigation)

This time Gary could in no way be blamed, of course.

There are a couple more, I think, that I haven't caught, but those are the most obvious. It's a similar point to the one above about the author's note; we want to read the story and form our own opinions, and when these little notes are added, usually in brackets, I always see through the story to the writer. They just come across as a kind of lack of confidence, where the writer has to defend their sentences with little explanations to ensure the reader doesn't ask the wrong questions. It's unnecessary. Your writing speaks very well on its own.

Characterisation

I love this. Gary is very well drawn and I get a great idea of his flaws. If anything, I'm lacking redeeming qualities here, but I suppose you've only got 1000 words and he's not in the best state of mind. Is Gary supposed to be a sympathetic character at all? I like the parallels with the Camaro, as I mentioned above, though I don't think you should be so obvious about the comparison. I also liked Shelly's anonymity, because it allows the reader to form his or her own impressions.

I haven't really got much to criticise here, because considering the length of your piece, you have a great depth. I'd only point out that I didn't get much fear or the "adrenaline" that you mentioned at the end of the piece, when Gary sees the (for lack of a better word) UFO. His reaction actually seems unexplored.

Overall

You'll notice I haven't covered plot, but that's because not a lot has happened yet. The tension is pretty well-built and the last few paragraphs are quite eerie. For a summary of improvements, I'd just ensure that your style isn't so clunky and contrived that you're distracting the reader from the atmosphere; don't lose sight of your goals and the impression you want to give. If you continue with this (and I hope you do), I'd suggest using the Science-Fiction Novels forum. At least don't make us wait another 2 years before you post your writing again! :wink:

- Jet.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:25 am
View Likes
Sean says...

Wow - massive thanks to both of you for taking the time out not only to read but properly review. Interestingly enough it's not just given me tips on how I can improve my writing, but how I can improve my reviewing; as I don't have an English literature education beyond a tenth grade (in England, GCSE) level, which was some years ago now, I actually find it difficult to properly review someones work - I have to admit I had to look up exactly what an "adverb" refers to. So all of this immensely helpful in improving what I'm doing, I really can't state that enough.

Definitely need to address the "having the story in quotes" and "author's foreword" issue, glad I learned that piece of forum etiquette sooner rather than later! xD. Truth be told I wasn't happy with the formatting, it has given me about 7 "paragraphs" when there was only really intended to be two or three, and I thought wrapping it in quote tags would help.

To seeminglymeaningless;

1. Leaving Gary's last name out...uhm, I don't really know why I did this. I just didn't feel it was necessary, even though I did actually have a last name for him all prepared! I really can't offer a good explanation as to why I did - don't worry, next time, I'll get it in there. It's Hooper, btw.

2. Which leads me onto my next point - Shelly's last name. They are supposed to be married (Gary and her) and again, I can only attribute it to sloppiness that I didn't get that in. In fact this point out of all others does kinda irk me, as it would've been so easy to just slip in that they had been married awhile, I'm annoyed at myself that I didn't. Ah well, thanks for pointing out the fact that it wasn't obvious!

seeminglymeangingless wrote:Stephen King hates actions like that. "The car was started", "the boy had tripped", "the cat would move across the room". He believes that people who write like that aren't confident in writing for the now. Do you need the "was" in that sentence? Would it read better without it?

What can I say? I removed it from the sentence, re-read it, and you're so right, it flowed far better. I didn't even think of it that way, but now that you've said it it seems so obvious. Thanks :)

seeminglymeangingless wrote:If you've capitalized it once, you should keep to that trend. Also, unless the river is a major plot device, there shouldn't be so much information on it. :P

Again, and I say this with just a tinge of embarrassment, I really wasn't sure whether to capitalise it or not. I really need to look up some sort of general rulebook on these things...it's terrible that I'm unsure of this, I know. I will make sure it doesn't happen again!

seeminglymeaningless wrote:I hope Gary's not the main character though. I don't see how you could make him into a hero of any kind *wrinkles nose*

You're intriguingly spot-on there! Gary was never meant to be a main character at all, but I feel more than ever that he deserves his place in the larger framework of the story. But yeah...not really much of a hero type, is he?

I will PM you if (WHEN!) I get the next bit done. I will try and develop it more into an actual chapter, and it will be longer...I hope you don't mind!

To jetpack;

1. I did indeed mean to italicise "Welcome to the Jungle"; I don't actually have MS Word (shocking, I know) so typed it up in Notepad, forgot to italicise it. Not a coding issue, more of a human error!

2. Rest of the grammatical points you raise I have absolutely no qualms with, you're right. Colon would definitely sit better than semi in
attraction; the Rockwell Lake Dam.
and I noticed, even while writing, that I was overusing the semicolon. Any tips on what I can use in it's place to break up sentences? Are commas the whole way through acceptable? I didn't want to bombard the reader with commas...

3. A main point that I'm glad to picked up on was the "asides to the reader" - I have to admit these are more experimental than anything, trying to add a bit of humour or wit to the narrator, but without characterising the narrator that is going to be tricky and might not work. You know, havng a nameless, faceless, omniscient narrator who at the same time addresses the reader with asides...it's a bit convoluted, I admit. Basically, I was trying to be funny, rather than add anything descriptive to the story, or even aid your understanding - Do you think it worked? They could easily be done away with, so your opinion is more than welcome.
jetpack wrote:The style is only intrusive because it's at such odds with the MC here; Gary is drunk, and your prose is so stiffly formal that when he swears, it's very jarring next to your voice.

This bit tied to the narrator...was just to give you a sense of looking down on him, seeing how much of an idiot he was being; if told from Gary's POV his actions might seem to appear more logical but told with such detachment, you get a sense of the ridiculousness about the situation. Again I don't know if this worked or not, so thanks for pointing that out.

4. Information overload - the information is, for the most part, fairly useless I'll admit, just to paint a picture in your mind of the place Gary lives. It will definitely be revisted (the Town Hall that is) so that might go someway towards justifying the rather indulgent historical descriptions...again, do you think I overdid it, if I was planning to come back to that building in the future? Or was it totally unnecessary?

"adrenaline" that you mentioned at the end of the piece, when Gary sees the (for lack of a better word) UFO. His reaction actually seems unexplored.

Indeed - I always feel that when I get a greak shock like that, it's always accompanied with adrenaline, but in no way did I expand further on that....so thanks.

jetpack wrote:I know you don't use dialogue very often, but don't worry about using "said"

thanks for that - I will definitely use it. I've got no problems using it.

Finally, I'm kinda surprised you both thought he was so unlikeable. I find him entirely relatable. Must be a guy thing. Drinking too many beers, wanting to catch the game... generally being an ass :P. I've already kind of become attatched to him though, I will definitely keep him in the story and expand on him, but whether he sees the folly of his drunken ways...yet to be seen. He might just remain a little unredeemable hehe.

Anyway thanks so much for reviewing, you're both stars! I will get to work on the next bit as soon as possible, I was so nervous about being ripped to shreds but this constructive criticism has been superb. That's what this site's for, right?

Take care.

377 Reviews

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:27 am

Sean wrote:Wow - massive thanks to both of you for taking the time out not only to read but properly review.

There's stories that demand help because they are so broken, and then there are stories that deserve praise/incentive to keep writing. Yours is the latter. Sometimes I feel bad after I've reviewed something and tore it to pieces, but sometimes there a stories, like yours, that only need a few pointers.

I have to admit I had to look up exactly what an "adverb" refers to.

:P That's okay. In my English university units, the tutor said something along the lines of, "Find the adverbs in this advertisement and write them down." and the whole tutorial class just sat there, trying to remember the difference between adverbs and adjectives :P So don't let that stop you, when it did stop the teachers of tomorrow (scary, isn't it?).

2. Which leads me onto my next point - Shelly's last name. They are supposed to be married (Gary and her) and again, I can only attribute it to sloppiness that I didn't get that in. In fact this point out of all others does kinda irk me, as it would've been so easy to just slip in that they had been married awhile, I'm annoyed at myself that I didn't. Ah well, thanks for pointing out the fact that it wasn't obvious!

Wow, I thought Shelly was the barmaid/barkeeper. I seriously thought that she was the only handing over the beers in the bar o.O I thought No. 16 was the name of the bar :P Seeing as he was drunk, and he tumbled out the front door - I really just associated drunkedness with bars. I know I'm being redundant, but I'm just trying to show my utter confusion in this matter :P

seeminglymeaningless wrote:I hope Gary's not the main character though. I don't see how you could make him into a hero of any kind *wrinkles nose*

You're intriguingly spot-on there! Gary was never meant to be a main character at all, but I feel more than ever that he deserves his place in the larger framework of the story. But yeah...not really much of a hero type, is he?

To be honest, it's just his physical description that appalls me. I personally don't want to read about a middle-aged, unattractive drunkard :P However, Douglas Adams wrote about a guy who was absolutely ordinary and a complete... for lack of a better word, retard, and he made it work. As long as the story is great, the character can be as lame as you want.

lol, and to answer some of the questions you asked Jet, because I have nothing better to do (well, I have four lectures to write notes for, two quizzes to complete [one physics, the other algebra], one scientific experiment report about electromagnetic fields, three readings to read, and one 6 minute oral presentation about sociology to plan, but I'm a procrastinator, and I'll leave it all to Sunday... when I have to work... :3):

Basically, I was trying to be funny, rather than add anything descriptive to the story, or even aid your understanding - Do you think it worked?

I think the problem with the asides is that you'd have to keep it up. The narrator would become a character in a way, and you'll have to devote time to what he/she thinks as well as your "real" characters.

The information is, for the most part, fairly useless I'll admit, just to paint a picture in your mind of the place Gary lives. It will definitely be revisted (the Town Hall that is) so that might go someway towards justifying the rather indulgent historical descriptions...again, do you think I overdid it, if I was planning to come back to that building in the future? Or was it totally unnecessary?

I think it was a nice scene setting, but you know, you could start the story with Gary driving to the dam. Cut out everything in the beginning. Then you could add all that stuff in the beginning throughout the story as scene settings, then you wouldn't be info dumping right in the beginning.

Finally, I'm kinda surprised you both thought he was so unlikeable. I find him entirely relatable. Must be a guy thing. Drinking too many beers, wanting to catch the game... generally being an ass :P. I've already kind of become attatched to him though, I will definitely keep him in the story and expand on him, but whether he sees the folly of his drunken ways...yet to be seen. He might just remain a little unredeemable hehe.

But the problem is, you didn't really reveal that much about him in that way. Yeah, we gathered that he likes drinking, and you mentioned something about the game, but... I don't know, it didn't set a character for me.

I was so nervous about being ripped to shreds but this constructive criticism has been superb. That's what this site's for, right?

Reviewers on this site generally try to be cordial. I know I personally have been rude before, but only because the writing was exasperating to read :P You didn't fill that criteria, so don't worry about people being absolute 'tards about your work. You could always ignore rude people :)

- Jai

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:43 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Hey, Sean, Stella here!

I. NITPICKS

The Township Hall, mainstay of the Franklin community, was built in 1837.

Alright, generally I'm one for gripping first lines, but yours works, in its way, works. This, however, I don't think works as a second line. And then the rest of the paragraph is just a sort of infodump. I'm not really sure if it's the best way to start.

The door was violently slammed shut and, beer in hand,

Is there a reason behind the passive tense?

calling itself a classy, elegant vehicle

Yes, because cars call themselves things ;)

but, what with being over 25 years old,

twenty five, not 25.

And without wanting to draw too many obvious comparisons, the Camaro might well have been an allegory for Gary himself.

And yet, you go draw the comparison anyway. If you're going to do it, don't draw attention to it.

"You've still got it" he mumbled,

Comma after "it."

Welcome to the Jungle blared out of the speakers.

Italicise or put in speech marks.
He didn't particularly locate the most idyllic of spots, either

locate sounds weird here.

rather than the usual sun-kissed, white-sanded beaches one would normally associate with a coastline,

Uh, only if you're in, like, Fiji. Also, a river isn't a coast line, is it? It's a riverbank.

causes an intense build-up of sediment.

Caused. Also, your tone just turned textbook.

Gary was downstream, at the mouth of the mad-made "Lake" Rockwell,

mad-made? xD As fun as that sounds, I have a feeling it's a typo.

"My bud..." he whispered, mournfully.

Uh, I've never had to question this before, lol, but should Bud be capitalised?

Right.

II. TONE

Alright. So in general as I read your opening paragraph, it was alright. Not really gripping, but you're going for quaint and it seemed quaint. My problem is that you were talking about the town hall, and then your story has nothing to do with the town hall, from what I can see. So why talk about its flagpole and stuff, when it's not needed? And then you go from this nice, pleasant image, to an alcoholic at a dirty riverside.

Oh, how romantic.

I don't know what point I'm trying to make here. I think it's to do with your tone. It's a nice enough tone, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure how well it works with the scene, which is a dark character on a dark night in a seemingly dark situation. But your prose is very clear and eloquent and nice- I'm just not sure if the two go together. I'd like to see a little more excitement in your voice as you explain what's going on. Put a bit more emotion into it. That way, we'll keep reading.

III. OVERALL

As I say, I do like your writing style, but I think it could use a little tailoring to the events for the plot to have its full effect. Right now, your prose is sort of dulling what's happening on the page, so that when something exciting does happen, it almost goes past unnoticed. That said, it definitely has tonnes of potential and I'd keep at it!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:01 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Hello. Here is the late and requested shred.

I'm not so much going to nit-pick as go into a deconstruction of beginnings and style.

First, I'll say I had a hard time reading this. You lost my interest very early on, and I started skimming for something interesting to happen about a third of the way through, and barely registered what was happening at the two third mark. Part of it was I kept looking for something interesting, part of it was this thing felt predictable and had nothing else to divert my attention away from how predictable the situation felt. What mostly did it was here:

Gary squinted through the darkness as Axl Rose's screams broke through the once-silent darkness.

As Gary approached the shoreline, he was almost certain that he heard an unusual noise emanating from somewhere toward the middle of the lake, almost as if a brick had been dropped from a great height.

I thought something exciting would happen after seeing the scream (the predictable bit I mentioned before). I'd already begun skimming at this point, waiting for something to break the ordinary day feel that I felt had been dragging too long, and I thought the scream would do it. There'd be him swerving somewhere because of the noise, a body being found/washed to where he was because of what fell off the dam, something. I was already finding the screams anti-climactic because they were at the end of a paragraph, and we have no idea who this character is (therefore, we have no reason to care about them).

But, then, you don't have any follow up. After the scene break, we just hear a "brick" landing in the water. I lightly skimmed after this just to see if he would find the body or there'd be some sort of follow up on the screaming. Something to cut the everyday occurrences in here and grab me. But there wasn't until the end, and by then it felt like too little, too late. This article on beginnings goes into more detail about hooking readers.

Part of this dragged-out feeling is your details. I don't mind details, really, so long as they contribute something to the story. Right now, it feels like you're describing everything just for the sake of description. If you check out I Am Apache (by Tanya Landman) or Kylan's work on YWS, you'll see the details they put in move the characterization, mood, or plot forward. Also, I'd like to point out description for the sake of it isn't necessarily a bad thing. But when the details bore the reader, that is a bad thing.

Really take a look at your story and see if what you're describing is important. Only you can decide what that is, because what might look like an unimportant detail to somebody who doesn't know the plot might be the key point in the story. And some descriptions, like the comparison to the car and how many tries it took him to open/start the car were good characterization moments. Details like that can stay.

However, if you have so many details the plot or character movements get lost, which happened to me several times throughout the story (the transition between paragraphs 1 and 2 was jerky because you go from describing one building to having your MC walk out of a completely different building from what I can gather; when he was going towards the car there was so much backhistory about what drove him to the car I forgot what was going on; the details about the darkness and road obscured the scream (although it would be better if the screams were in their own paragraph to make them stand out); the little details about the dam that made me skip over most of the paragraph, ect), then those details have to go. You can slip more of them in later on, when we're completely engrossed in the story and more likely to read the details, but when we're just getting to know what's going on then it's better to have a bit more action in the beginning so we have reason to keep reading.

Overall, I found this too slow for my tastes and really hard to get through. Some of your details were gems, but most just made me want the prologue to be less drawn out (It felt like you were trying too hard to establish a sleepy calm with all the description of everyday things you were putting in) so I wouldn't be impatient waiting for the calm to shatter like I know it would. That's probably the biggest reason I was skimming— I knew this was the calm before the storm and kept waiting for the storm to break. First I thought it would break with a man storming out of his house, but there was more calm. Then I thought it would break with the scream, but he doesn't even seem to hear it. Finally I thought something more than swearing would happen when what's best described as a UFO flew over his head, but, again, nothing breaks the calm. There's no underlying sense of tension around moments that readers think would be tense, and the feeling of "something bad will happen" (which I got in paragraph one, despite how slow it was. The slowness was what gave me that feeling, which is pretty good) was drawn out to too long. By the time the first hints of something bad actually happening show up, I was skimming to the point of barely reading.

Really work on tightening up your descriptions and grabbing the reader just a bit harder in the beginning.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

377 Reviews

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:26 pm

Rosey, Axl Rose is the lead singer of Guns and Roses, which is what Gary is listening to in the car :P

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James