z

Young Writers Society

Untitled

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:58 am
DarkTestimonyofTruth says...

This silence is incredible. I can't believe there can be such silence, with everything that is going on. But I suppose that all of Manhattan, all of the world is holding their breath. What can there be but silence now? I am all but alone in this hospital. Most of the other patients have been taken home by their families, and all of the nurses and doctors are spending this day at home. It is so odd to not be surrounded by the usual hustle and bustle found in a hospital. There are no nurses checking in on my son, and although the door to his room is wide open, I do not hear a single sound of life. The stillness of everything is perturbing, and I slowly get to my feet, to look out the window and distract my thoughts, as I have countless times before.

The street, too, is devoid of life. It has been this way for many days now. I am trying to remember what it was like before, but it is difficult. The streets had been teeming with people and cars, going about their lives. Horns honked and drivers shouted. Pedestrians laughed and chatted merrily. But that was weeks ago. And it would never be that way again. My watch beeps the hour, shaking me from my reveries. I check it. Noon… it is almost time.

I hurry back to my son's bedside, holding his hand in mine. Except his pale, thin appearance, his outgrown hair and the scruff about his face, he looks just as he did two years ago, when he left my home on his motorcycle, walking out my door for the last time. Every day, I expect him to wake up and bid me good morning. But he won't, and for that I am thankful. Although I want nothing more than for him to speak to me again on our last day, I am happy he is not awake for this. I wish I were not awake for this.

Holding his hand in one of mine, I reach over and flip on the radio to my favorite station. I wanted to hear someone speaking in these last minutes. The station is nothing but fuzz, and I begin to flip through until I find a voice.

"Ladies and gentleman, it is now twelve o' two. We are seven minutes from impact." I grip my son's hand tightly, pursing my lips together as the radioman pauses. "Well… how about a little music?" He said, keeping his voice light as someone can in times like these. Tears well in my eyes as I am listening. The strength of this man amazes me… He was carrying an entire nation on his shoulders, billions of people with little but fear in their hearts. Parents holding their children tightly, young people who had yet to live, couples who had looked forward to so much, all listening to him, depending on him to see us through. One of those tears escapes my eyes and begins to trail down my cheek, but I don't bother to wipe it away. This was as good a time as any to just let them fall.

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is beginning to sway out of the radio. I silently compliment the radioman for his choice. There is nothing I would like to listen to more than this a right now.

"Listen," I say to my son, placing one of my hand on his shoulders. "It's Beethoven. The Moonlight Sonata. Do you hear it? It's beautiful…" I sniff deeply as two more tears escape my eyes. I could feel the held breath of the world around me. They were all waiting for what was to come in silence. I spoke again to my son, my voice wavering. "Do you remember when you were little? I used to play classical music whenever we cleaned the house. You used to love it, dancing to everything. We would always end up dancing together instead of cleaning. Do you remember, son?" I placed my hand on his cheek.

The radioman begins to speak again, the piano still playing behind him. "Ladies and gentlemen, we now have thirty seconds left. I'd like to say that it has been my greatest pleasure broadcasting to you all. I wouldn't have lived my life any other way. Good luck, and pleasant journeys." He takes a deep, shaking breath. "14. 13. 12. 11. 10. 9. 8. 7." His voice broke. The music was still playing behind him, reaching its climax. I am humming along with the notes – I know the song well.

"6." It's such a lovely song.

"5." I think it's almost over.

"4." Yes, it's beginning to slow down.

"Oh, God." I say quietly, throwing myself onto my son.

"2." The song reaches its final notes.

"1." It is over.

So that's it. This is part of my submission (a weak part, if you ask me, my other story is better, but I haven't posted it yet) for the $30000 Interlochen Scholarship, so I'm trusting you guys to help me make this $30000 good! So tear it appart! Rip it to shreds! This is a braying lamb, and you are the viscious alligators, staring at it hungrily! I will not get mad, I promise. And maybe you should suggest some titles? I was thinking of calling it "Moonlight Sonata" after the piece of music that plays, but I highly doubt that would fit well. I suck at titles. Oh, and that last line where it goes "'2.' The song reaches its final notes. '1.' It is over." Some people suggested I should cut the "It is over" so the "1." is alone. What do you guys think of that?
Don't put me underground, I was meant for a life somewhere else.
Please, love, give me the wheel, before both of our hearts you
will steal tonight

-The Approaching Curve, Rise Against

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:08 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

This was extremely good! It leaves the reader hanging and wanting more. I would enjoy reading more.

I really didn't find any errors.

Well… how about a little music?" He said,

De-capitalize he.
Also, said is in the past tense. The rest of yor piece is in the present.

I agree, the one should stand alone. If there is going to be some kind of an "impact", she wouldn't have time to say "It's over." If the one is alone, it would be more powerful.

Sorry, I know this wasn't very helpful. I honestly didn't see any errors. That is very good, because normally I find errors everywhere in writing. To not find errors in yours... kudos ^_^

Good luck with the scholarship.

-Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:26 am
GryphonFledgling says...

*vicious alligator promptly closes jaws*

Wow.

Absolutely amazing.

I really have no critiques for you. I am horrible with titles, so I can't really help you out there, though I was seriously going to chew you out for not having one. But you acknowledge it and are asking for help, so I forgive your infraction. *le wink*

On the note of the "It is over" thing: I'd cut the "It is over." Just leave the one on its own.

Actually, a thought: I did a little research on it, and I think you should write out the numbers (i.e. "three" rather than "3"). It is part of the dialogue, and they are all small, one-word numbers. I think it would make the countdown look a bit better in the context of the text.

Very, very nice piece. Quite powerful. I loved the DJ. He was so simple and strong and heartfelt. Really, I just wanted to hug him. That he would be at work, comforting the world, rather than with his family (though I hope he had his family with him somehow, or else is nobly sacrificing himself) is so great. Really, I loved him.

*thumbs up* The best of luck with your scholarship. Rock some serious socks, my friend.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:23 pm
Anna09 says...

Wow.

Awesome piece! I will try and help, but honestly I'm not sure how much I can help it, as it is already very good.

Hm. For a title...For some reason I don't think Moonlight Sonata works for the piece, though I'm at a loss for titles that do. 'Countdown' or 'Impact' all sound too cliche. 'One Final Breath'. Okay, I'll stop now because I'm not coming up with anything good :wink:

There is nothing I would like to listen to more than this a right now.

Small thing, I'm sure that you've picked up on it by now.

I wish I were not awake for this.

Nice sentence. :) (Just a warning, my grammar is questionable)
Wouldn't it be was? Since the verb is referring to I, and I is singular?

I think that the one should be by itself, I think that way would have more of an impact.

Other than that, I am at a loss for words...I can't find any other fault with it. :) Good luck with the scholarship!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:42 am
DarkTestimonyofTruth says...

Eek! I'm so excited! You like it, you really like it! *sob* And I thought this was my weaker piece... I'll have to post the other one up, see what you all think of that! Thank you all so much for the little things you caught, I've edited it like five times and I didn't catch any of that. And I will cut the that last little "it's over" thing. Still at a loss for a title, though. I'll think of something. Thank you all!
Don't put me underground, I was meant for a life somewhere else.
Please, love, give me the wheel, before both of our hearts you
will steal tonight

-The Approaching Curve, Rise Against

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:32 pm
Suzuhara says...

This silence is incredible. I can't believe such silence can exist with everything that is going on. But I suppose that all of Manhattan and all of the world is holding their breath. What can there be but silence now?

(I would start a new paragraph here)

I am [s]all but[/s] alone in this hospital. [s]Most[/s] All of the other patients have been taken home by their families, and [s]all of[/s] the nurses and doctors are spending this day at home. It is so odd not to be (Don't split infinitives) surrounded by the usual hustle and bustle found in a hospital. [s]There are[/s] No nurses are checking in on my son, and although the door to his room is wide open, I do not hear a single sound of life. The stillness of everything is perturbing, and I slowly get to my feet, to look out the window and distract my thoughts, as I have countless times before.

(This scene reminds me of resident evil after she wakes up in the hospital and find herself all alone.)

The street is devoid of life too. It has been this way for many days now. I am trying to remember what it was like before, but it is difficult. The streets had been teeming with people and cars, going about their lives. Horns honked and drivers shouted. Pedestrians laughed and chatted merrily. But that was weeks ago. And it would never be that way again. My watch beeps the hour, shaking me from my reveries. I check it. Noon… it is almost time.

I hurry back to my son's bedside, holding his hand in mine. [s]Except[/s] Aside from his pale, thin appearance, his outgrown hair and the scruff about his face, he looks just as he did two years ago, when he left my home on his motorcycle, walking out my door for the last time. Every day, I expect him to wake up and bid me good morning. But he won't, and for that I am thankful. Although I want nothing more than for him to speak to me again on our last day, I am happy he is not awake for this. I wish I were not awake for this.

[s]Holding his hand in one of mine[/s] (You said this already), I reach over and flip on the radio to my favorite station. I wanted to hear someone speaking in these last minutes. The station is nothing but fuzz, and I begin to flip through until I find a voice.

"Ladies and gentleman, it is now twelve o' two. We are seven minutes from impact." I grip my son's hand tightly, pursing my lips together as the radioman pauses. "Well… how about a little music?" He said, keeping his voice light. [s]as someone can in times like these[/s]. Tears well in my eyes as I listen. The strength of this man amazes me… He was carrying an entire nation on his shoulders, billions (the US doesn't have billions of people, don't you mean millions? Or if you are talking about the entire world you need to mention this: He was carrying an entire nation on his shoulders, an entire world, billions of people...)[/s] of people with [s]little but[/s] [b]only fear in their hearts. Parents holding their children tightly, young people who had yet to live, couples who had looked forward to so much, all listening to him, depending on him to see us through. [s]One of those[/s] Tears [s]escapes my eyes and begins to[/s] continue to trail down my cheek, but I don't bother to wipe them away. This was as good a time as any to just let them fall.

Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata [s]is beginning to[/s] sways out of the radio. I silently compliment the radioman for his choice. There is nothing I would like to listen to more than this [s]a[/s] right now.

"Listen," I say to my son, placing one of my hand on his shoulders. "It's Beethoven. The Moonlight Sonata. Do you hear it? It's beautiful…" I sniff deeply as two more tears escape my eyes. I could feel the held breath of the world around me. They were all waiting for what was to come in silence. I spoke again to my son, my voice wavering. "Do you remember when you were little? I used to play classical music whenever we cleaned the house. You used to love it, dancing to everything. We would always end up dancing together instead of cleaning. Do you remember, son?" I placed my hand on his cheek.

The radioman begins to speak again, the piano still playing behind him. "Ladies and gentlemen, we now have thirty seconds left. I'd like to say that it has been my greatest pleasure broadcasting to you all. I wouldn't have lived my life any other way. Good luck, and pleasant journeys." He takes a deep, shaking breath. "14. 13. 12. 11. 10. 9. 8. 7." His voice broke. The music was still playing behind him, reaching its climax. I am humming along with the notes – I know the song well.

"6." It's such a lovely song.

"5." I think it's almost over.

"4." Yes, it's beginning to slow down.

"Oh, God." I say quietly, throwing myself onto my son.

"2." The song reaches its final notes.

"1." It is over.

(The ending reminds me of the movie, Deep Impact. Have you ever seen it? I like this. I think you should call this piece 12:09 because that's when the impact happens. Anyway, nice job! I really hope you win the scholarship!)
With tears in my eyes and blood in my hands, I pull through and conquer my fears. ~Zackaria Kato

Please check out my blog: sammysuzuhara.blogspot.com

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:52 am
StolenHearts. says...

This piece captivated me entirely, I have been watching many Armageddon shows and this definitely shows a lot of emotion. That is how i picture the end of the world...Silent with everyone making the best out of their time. I really want to read more, if you go any further be sure to tell me about it. I'm not sure why but this topic interests me very much. I would love to make a piece with the subject but, unfortunately that is not my area of expertise. But all in all I wish you the best of luck for the competition.
Ta ta for now darling.

Mackenzie Hollander

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:45 pm
thedelphinater says...

Wow. This was really good. I honestly don't see why you thought it was so weak. Just one little nit-picky thing:

Ladies and gentleman, it is now twelve o' two.

I think you mean gentlemen. I think anything else I might of noticed was already said. Good job!
So it goes.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:41 pm
BobcatPoet says...

A little cliche, but to tell you the truth I've always laughed at the people who keep saying the world ends tomorrow, or who wants it to end. Not to be rude, but I find it rather annoying. If the world ends it ends.
Kendall- The best writer is never done improving his novels.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:52 pm
jok101 says...

I don't have any critiques bit I have some ideas for names. The Last song, Hand in Hand [because she's holding her son's Hand] ,Ticking by, The Last Countdown. Some of though's are bit corny but that's all I got. I really liked it I have to agree it should just be 1 on it's own.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:07 am
chipsandguacamollie says...

Wow, that is really good. For such a short piece, it has so much meaning. I mean, it leaves questions in your mind, such as "what was hitting the earth? A meteor?" But they don't need to be answered. They are irrelevant to the point, but keep you wondering. I would, however, leave just the 1 at the end. It makes it seem more final. Altogether, amazing piece.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

-Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:25 am
EpicHumiliation says...

Wow... This was great. I really liked it. And it definitely leaves you wondering about the whole thing, which is awesome! =) I also agree with the one just being at the end all alone. Makes more of an impact.... hardy har har. Anyway, awesome writing and best of luck on the scholarship!
Borrow money from pessimists- they don't expect it back.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:59 pm
Ashleigh Brown says...

Once again you have another amazing entry, no doubt about it that you'll win. I really enjoyed this one, but there was one thing i didn't like. When you put "-I know the song..." this could have been left out. Other than that its great, and I really can't wait to read the rest. :wink:

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:58 pm
Musicaloo7311 says...

I'm sorry if I'm not of much help in my critique. Haha.

Anyway, I found it to be a very captivating story. Although I've always found it annoying when people mention "The Apocalypse", I was sifting through the Science Fiction category and thought I'd look at your take on it.
Like others before me have mentioned, I would change the numbers to their "word" format, and leave out the "It is done". I'm sorry I couldn't come up with more original critiquing, but I don't do this often.

So good luck with that scholarship, and keep writing! (Yes, I said "keep writing". Haha. I know that's part of the "not good criticism", but it wasn't the only thing I put.)
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:19 am
Jesse says...

Very good. But what does the sky look like? Is there a nuclear bomb coming for America, or a giant meteor? Is the Sun about to burn out? This was a very captivating story but i found myself wanting to read more than what you presented, thank you for the read though, lets hope it never comes to this.

Take care
To be a hero is not to be out of the ordinary, it is to be ordinarily remarkable.

“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451