z

Young Writers Society

Stars, pt. 3

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:16 am
Jiggity says...

A radiant light suffused me, lighting the area but even as I became aware of it, it began to fade and die. I clutched frantically at my arms, expecting them to be burning with heat but they were cool to the touch. I glanced back to Star and she was watching me now with a calculated, hungry look and with something else I couldn’t quite make out.
– For a hundred years, we have fought and fled, searching the thousand worlds for a weapon, an ally to aid us in our fight. And the answer has been here all along…
Was that hope in her eyes? I couldn’t help but feel the power of her sorrow and fear; a hundred years of torment and now she thought that I could end it? I shook my head. It simply wasn’t possible. I couldn’t explain anything that was happening, not the strange burgeoning heat I felt within, or the dream and mind-bonds. All I did was clean and serve, to the best of my ability. Keep you’re head down and just do the job, my sister had always said. I stared at my hands as they clutched at each other and I couldn’t stop them or the subsequent rocking.
“I can’t do this,” I said, not looking at her. “You can’t ask me to.”
Someone banged on the door, forestalling any reply. We shared a startled glance then, ruefully acknowledging that someone had managed to sneak up on us. It took a moment before I remembered my place and coughing, said, “Who is it?”
There was no answer.
Again, the banging began.
I looked at Star, a silent question in my eyes but she just stared back. It took a second before I remembered my place. "The lady is currently indisposed," I called out. Furious buzzing arose and with a sickening feeling in my stomach, I realised who it must be - Viln, without a certain manservant. She could still feel him clinging to her hands. She gagged, feeling suddenly nauseous. Beside her, Star gasped. Whether in response to the images flooding my mind or to Viln, I didn't know nor did I have the heart to check.
"What's happening?"
Star was looking at me with despair. "You killed him, didn't you. The boy?"
I froze.
It wasn't a thought I had actively considered. But now that the question had been posed, I was sure of it. There wasn't any other explanation. I had killed someone; a boy, like myself. The realization left me reeling, on top of all the revelations in the past hour, it was too much. The room was spinning, darkness closing in on the edges amid all the swirling questions in my head; what had he been doing in my room? How had I done it and what was this strange glowing? I might have collapsed had I not encountered a wall - Star, there in my mind, a source of strength I found I could draw upon. I shuddered, curling in on myself. Through Star, I understood that it was indeed Viln outside the door and that he was demanding to be let in.
Star wasn't fazed. In the last few moments, she had returned to her formal, poised itself. She got up, retreated into her room where she quietly but calmly began to dress herself. Taking a moment to compose myself in a like manner, I rose and joined her, assisting in the preparations. In moments, we had her dressed and presentable - within, the gaping hole was still there, eating away at her but she had put it aside for now. One last item, a darkly gleaming wooden box, was opened. Inside, the white-grey ashes of the dead stirred. Scooping some up, she marked a sign atop her skull, trembling all the while.
The banging on the door continued and I hurried to open it. As I did so, Viln nearly fell into the room, arm outstretched to slam against the door once more. Two gray robed V'ra stood beside him. My flesh crawled beneath the gaze of those gaping dark cowls. Viln strode in self-importantly, buzzing and clicking rapidly; a sound that swiftly died, turning into a strangled whine. There was a moments silence as the robed V'ra glided into the room. Again, I found myself privy to the conversation.
- Acolytes, L'roc and Shirva, Star acknowledged with a nod of her head.
Viln was staring at her in open horror. "She is dead, then?"
My hatred of the man surged at his lack of sympathy. Star merely nodded, sorrow etched into her skin. “Moon perished last night as did the last colonising party. We alone, remain.” It was odd, hearing the strange and still foreign sound of the language and yet knowing the meaning in her mind, as though she listened to two conversations. These two would not share minds – that, I knew. Viln rocked back on his heels, stunned. He was not long in recovering, though.
“Regrettable as that is, we have come for the girl.”
“On what grounds?”
“The murder of my Si-an was a most grievous injury to my soul,” he lamented. “For which the girl must be punished.”
“For defending herself? I think not.”
– Enough . Petty disputes do not interest us. We sensed a disturbance of some strength and there is enough evidence to suggest this one is responsible. We must examine her.
Star hesitated. She stared into the depths of their cowls, looking for what I couldn’t tell but she didn’t find it. She looked away.
– It will do you no good.
– We must try, nonetheless.
Eyes shifting from one to the other, I couldn’t fathom entirely grasp what was happening. It was all too much, too soon – was she really giving me up that easily? Viln’s eyes gleamed with triumph as the Acolytes glided forward, grasping me calmly by the forearms, with ice cold limbs.
– We suggest you begin your preparations, Priestess.
– They have already begun. The final destination has been set.
Those ominous words were the last I heard as a surge of pain sent me tumbling into oblivion.

Freezing metal had her flesh crawling. Strobe lights pierced into unseeing orbs as all around, a chirping, buzzing lilt rose and fell.

Star slid into the metal suit, feeling the cool steel mesh meld onto her flesh. She held herself still, bracing herself for the pain as the thin, long needles of the helmet pierced her skull. She cried out –

As the priest lifted his oddly glittering, silver knife from her body. She could never have conceived loneliness of this magnitude; the chatter and swell of other emotions and thoughts had always pressed against hers. What could fill such a vast, gaping void as existed now?
The answer came, for too a brief a time, and it was Moon.

On the table, I shivered and recoiled, clicks and gasps spilling out into the air. They clucked and ticked over her but it was not my body they wished to investigate. The bracelet, its tightness an ever-present reminder on my wrist, was taken away as the preparations began. Over and over, my mind went over those final words.

The steel wings flexed and began to flap, wingspan stretching to the limits of the hold. The door slid seamlessly back and she faced the barren depths of space. At some point, she’d always known she would face the void with no Bond to save her.

She dived.

The Duke’s harsh breaths panted against my ear as he thrust eagerly upward. I bit back a moan, blinking the tears desperately away. He grunted, taking the sound to be one of approval and sped up the pace. There was no connection here, only a distant void that sucked and tore at my heart.
Hands grasping frantically at the hay, I clung to the safety of knowing that the final destination had been set.

Weightless, she soared. Such elation rushed through her blood –this, this was what it must be like as one of the Drakul – as a god of the sky. They wouldn’t come silently, as with Moon. That card had been played and any minute now, the bloom of the space-rifts would open like wounds and they would surge out on vengeance-sped wings.
Behind her, the giant ship began to accelerate as fast as it could, urged on to her last coordinates. All around her, incandescent tears ripped through the fabric of the cosmos like so much paper before a blade.

Their minds eased into mine, quick and small and nimble as darting fish in a stream. I hadn’t the will to resist as they plumb the depths of my memories, the curious detachment that seemed so natural to them persisted at first but gradually began to unravel. Panic and horror tore into them as they quickly tried to withdraw –
– The bitch has killed us all! We are betrayed!
– They have Bonded!
My mind, so easy to open, proved impossible to escape from. As yet unconcerned with them, I began to smile. The table was no longer cold.

There is nothing quite like sharing ones soul with another. Being privy to the deepest depths of the darkness capable within, knowing things even the other was not aware of. It was a sacred trust, so easy to use and abuse that Star wanted to weep.
She twirled through the air, slipping beneath the great wyrms about her, unable to manoeuvre their giant bulk quickly enough and she delivered many stinging cuts. Her leash sliced white lines of power through the darkness of space as all around her tornadoes of flame burned.
Within the suit, all was cool and she smiled.

Their piteous mewls had ended long ago, flesh crisped and smoking. The table was melting and the great sheets of metal that bound the ship together were screaming and groaning, stretched and warped by the incredible heat. I was so close now, to being filled, to finally becoming all that I was meant to be.
I walked the halls, seeing the dead and dying all around me. I got no satisfaction from this, only upon seeing Viln – the skin and meat of his face become a sloshing tide that ran down his skull – did a kernel of happiness kindle. The core of searing light within me burned hotter until I could see naught but white. All the while, the ship hurtled toward the sun.

They were closing now, nipping and biting at her heels.
She tumbled and fell beneath their shifting, heavy weight, desperation clawing at her insides. There was no such thing, of course, as a Bond greater than the first and her sorrow for Moon tided over all else. Only rage competed with it as she lashed out, laying a latticework of pain around her. They fell back and she was granted a momentary reprieve.
– I will not fail you again.

Of course, the word Star had searched for wasn’t sister. It couldn’t cause such vast reservoirs of feeling, couldn’t spur this mad, suicidal rush. It had been lover. She failed to appreciate, however, the realities I had discovered within myself. The terrible, terrible power within - she knew only pain and I grieved for her.
She thought I was merely a Conduit, a receptacle through which sources of power could be channelled. And what force was greater than the sun? Surely its molten heart could burn even the Drakul and so the mad dance was begun. They only toyed with her, I knew and distantly, a part of me cried out, to stop, to find another way – of course I couldn’t do that. Not now.
Father was calling and he would never harm his children.

The ship was gone, long since destroyed and the intensity of the aurora around her was making its presence felt. The strange materials by which the Acolytes maintained their power was giving way and she could feel the pain setting in. Star welcomed it with a smile; finally the agonies within would be felt without.
The Drakul didn’t seem affected by it, still twirling and dancing, seemingly overjoyed – savage beasts. How had they once been so ignorant to worship them? Their scales were blinding, their roars twining in wonderful synchronicity to form a song she could barely grasp. In her last moments, Star shouted out in gladness; she would finally join Moon, with or without vengeance. It no longer mattered.

Home.
It was a notion I’d never truly understood, I realised now. As with Family; concepts just barely grasped but never explored to their fullest. It hadn’t been easy to let go of my body, but my brothers and sisters merely laughed at my foolishness.
Let it go, let it go! It’s time to grow up, they cried, with joyous abandon. Fathers welcoming heat enclosed about us, keeping us warm and full. Within his protective womb, I began to grow into my true self, at last. For now, it was enough to be at the centre of all things, illuminating all the worlds.

------------------------

To be honest, kids, I hated this. But I forced it out because I wanted it done so I could move on to the next story I want to write without feeling guilty. Also, I edited the other segments accordingly. And yes, XD, I did change Starlight's name. XD
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:42 am
Kylan says...

Jiggity -

Wow. This was beautiful in its emotions and subtleties. I don't know why you hate it so much. It's really a pretty good piece of work and I'm glad I spurred you on to write this.

[the what? factor]

I think I mentioned this before to you in my comments on Blaze, but your stories are extremely abstract, hovering between poetry and fable and dreamstate. They're physical and supremely intellectual at the same time. It's a different combination. And very much your own. However, there comes a point where all your transcendental touch-and-feel narration becomes confusing and overpowering. In this piece, there came a point (the most intriguing and delicately beautiful point) where I had absolutely no clue what was happening. This was after they took your main character away from Star. The only thing I'm fairly sure about was that your main character was raped by some Duke. Why? I don't know. Just like everything else. Why? I want to know why these things are happening. I don't need to know everything; I like an ethereal, abstract quality in the stories I read, but I need to know the basics. At least. And you dance around even those. Here are only a few of the questions you've left unanswered:

- Who is your main character in relations to Star?
- What are Si-ans exactly?
- Who is Moon (Star's sister?)
- Where did the sun come from all of the sudden?
- Why was everyone else dead, while your main character survived?
- Why does Star betray the people on the ship?
- What are the wyrms again? I think you mentioned them before. Are they the same as the Drakul?
- What purpose does the bracelet serve?
- Does your main character have a special talent she shouldn't have?
- Who did Star die for? The main character or Moon?
- It goes on.

As you can see, you left a lot of open ends. More than should be left. With a concept as complex and different as this, you should explore it further than just a short story. I just...don't know what's going on. You lose me too easily.

So. I suggest expanding this and giving us more information. Somehow. I understand if you want to put it away and ignore it, but I think that it has some buried potential that needs to be explored. It doesn't have to be terrible.

She could still feel him clinging to her hands. She gagged, feeling suddenly nauseous. Beside her, Star gasped.

I think you switched POVs here. But whether or not you did, it's still confusing as heck.

Good writing, rough delivery.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

798 Reviews

Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:01 am
Jiggity says...

Ah, well to my eyes, those questions are mostly dealt with, in the text. Oddly enough, you're not the only one who has said to me that my works are poetic, he in fact suggested revising some of my short stories into poems.

There is a reason it became so abstract toward the end - I basically wrote this for an anthology that had a word limit of 5000 and so the whole time I was writing, I was thinking I have to cut this and change that, etc. Sorry it got to be so confusing. Far too much occurs at the end for me to have written it out in standard narration, for one, and secondly, the protagonist's consciousness is splintered between herself and Star.

To sum it up basically:

1. Moon and Star, two lovers on a distant world, using the ancient technology of the Acolytes, rose up against the Drakul (or wryms; dragons; etc) that their people worshipped, believing they had become greater.
2. They hadn't in fact, become greater and so spent the next hundred years (after their world was burned into a cinder) fleeing through the universe, raiding and searching through a multitude of worlds for a weapon or power that could defeat the dragons.
3. Thus, the odd collection of Si-an (slaves) that had come to populate the ship. The protagonist, a chambermaid from medieval times (Gods you have no idea how hard it was to write a sci-fi from her perspective, lol) is one of these people. Yes, she is gifted - the bracelets are both tools to allow the aliens to communicate with the slaves and leashes by which they can be controlled.
4. Star doesn't betray the ship, so much as sacrifice it. She sends it racing toward the sun, hoping that the dragons would perish within it as she leads them there.
5. As that's occurring, we learn that the reason the MC and Star have been so easily able to communicate and see each others dreams is that they have Bonded unconsciously and as events unfold around them, they begin to delve into one another's memories hence the disconnected chambermaid used by the Duke; the lesbian but eternal love which, when lost unhinges Star dramatically.
6. MC begins her transformation into a Dragon. You'll note that both times that she starts glowing occur immediately after/during seeing Dragons in flight, first within a dream and then within memories. She understands that the Sun -- referenced as "Father" -- "won't harm his children" -- which is meant to explain that dragons are the children of the Sun and it is to the sun they are all racing.
7. The final moment, when Star plunges (as far as she is able) into the sun, understanding the dragons wont be harmed but not caring anymore, so long as she meets her lover in the afterlife. Meanwhile, the protagonist begins her metamorphism into something greater, into a dragon -- the ultimate message to "let go of the body and grow up" is that within all people is the power to transcend their means and become great. Well thats the sappy underlying one anyway, plot wise it tells us that she wasn't human after all and finally, had found her way home.

Now, you try fitting that into 5000 words!! Hahaha, I totally get that you didn't grasp it all and thanks a bunch for even reading it as far as you did. I appreciate it.

Cheers

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:17 pm
Kylan says...

Alright, things make sense now. And I completely understand that you were not able to fit all that information into 5,000 words. Like I said: the writing itself is very rich and thought-provoking and poetic and so I tend to overlook plot problems when a story is written in that fashion and enjoy it anyway. :wink:

I would consider rewriting it, just for your own benefit, and include all those details you were forced to edit out. It would be a fantastic story.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:42 pm
LowKey says...

You may have hated it, bu we loved it, or at the very least, liked it. :) Thanks for following through with a conclusion for us. ^_^ Some random thoughts:

It took a moment before I remembered my place and coughing, said, “Who is it?”

There was no answer.

Again, the banging began.

I looked at Star, a silent question in my eyes but she just stared back. It took a second before I remembered my place.

Repitition! Not good.

Those ominous words were the last I heard as a surge of pain sent me tumbling into oblivion.

Everything after that line is confusing, to where I don't know who's thinking what anymore. Star? Speaker? Neither, both? Might want to smooth it out a bit, unless you are done with this story, in shich case we can all understand and allow you to move on to write us another. In case you do want to touch it up a bit, there you go. :)

Thanks again for finishing the story, Jiggs. Was a fun ride. ^_^
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

798 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:15 pm
Jiggity says...

Yes, indeed I am done with this story - at least in its present incarnation - and thank you very much.

At some stage in the future, I intend to do the story the justice it deserves and give it a full on whack but right now I just don't have the time; think of this as a sort of preliminary sketch ^_^

Thanks for following it to the end, Dreamer.

I might even post in Uprising soon, now. XD

Cheers

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:56 pm
Sureal says...

Keep you’re head down and just do the job, my sister had always said.

Your.

‘part from pointing that out, I don’t really have anything else to say that hasn’t already been said. There are moments when you switch between ‘I’ and ‘she’, and it can be confusing when it’s not clear you’re referring to Star. Kylan quoted an example above, when Star is stood beside ‘her’, not ‘I’.

The word count kindda limited this. The entire chapter felt rushed, especially when compared to the first two. Be sure to rewrite/edit this into the scifi masterpiece it’s meant to be.
I wrote the above just for you.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sat May 09, 2009 2:15 am
Sachiko says...

Locked by author's request.
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)