z

Young Writers Society

Stars, pt. 1

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:51 am
Jiggity says...

The stars glared down.
It was no wonder. I didn’t know them nor they me; those familiar pin points of light that I had ignored my whole life were now gone. The sky above bristled with foreign, hostile constellations; a bitter reminder of home not lost on me as the bracelet buzzed in warning. Wide, thick and gleaming silver, it encircled my right wrist. I turned from the window and continued on my way, head bowed. Occasionally shadows would brush over my face and I would hear a faint humming, the only indications that a master passed by.
Only one bothered to brush minds with me but it was the briefest of touches. I shuddered, still unused to it, and quickened my step. The bracelet buzzed again, this time sending a small jolt of pain into my shoulder. Though I didn’t look, my feet knew the familiar, winding way through the cold stone passageways. Burning torches, oily smoke and draughty winds; all so very, very familiar. It was the latest game she had decided to play with me. In some twisted way, she actually thought this was a nice gesture. To create the illusion of Castle Cilna, of home, was the worst sort of torture I could imagine. I struggled to reign in my anger, my shame as I climbed the steps up the northern tower.
Reaching the top, I knocked carefully on the wooden door. It flew open almost immediately and I cowered before the wrath of my mistress. Of course, the illusion of home was never complete with such as her in control. Tall, impossibly slender and coloured as darkly as night, she was both ephemeral and strikingly beautiful. Her long, tapered gleamed in the light. She was buzzing in anger, small intermittent trills indicating her displeasure.
– You are late.
– Mistress, I –
I got no further then that as waves of pain lanced into me. My body folded, muscles turned liquid with pain and I convulsed on the floor. Behind the pain, tides of rage pounded into me and something else; a darker, murky emotion was threaded throughout. As suddenly as it had come it was gone and I was gasping harshly for air, tears stinging my eyes.
– Attend me.
The words sliced into my mind. I scrambled to my feet and stood trembling, eyes fearful of meeting hers. My thoughts were scrambled, scattered by fear. What had I just done? I took a deep breath.
“Apologies, Mistress. I acted without thought,” I said, carefully.
– Speak of this to no one. Now, attend me.
She retreated into the room, the deep blue of her gown swishing in her wake. The antechamber was sumptuous, decorated in rich reds and golds, patterned with the Cilna personal crest. I’d never even been in this room, reserved as it was by the Duke for foreign dignitaries and important visitors. How could she possibly know so much of it? A chilling thought occurred to me: perhaps she’d been there herself. Perhaps I wasn’t the only one taken and even now, Castle Cilna lay in ruins. I clamped down on the horrible images that followed, forcing myself to take note of the room. An exquisite table was set out with dishes and a steaming pot of choka, its spicy scent giving the room a heady air.
She was expecting someone, then. I took my place at the side of the table, as she sat down and waited. Internally, I was still reeling from what I had done and now with a moment to collect myself, I thought on it. I’d always been able to sense them touch my mind; it was as though they dipped a hand into the most private part of my soul, sometimes as light as a caress, oft-times more savage and violent. Until this day, I hadn’t thought it unusual that I should be able to know this, nor had I spoken to anyone about it. Was I going to be punished for it?
– No, now be silent! He comes.
My back stiffened beneath her disapproval, but my curiosity was piqued. In this place of nonstop, strange lighting, it was hard to mark the passing of time, but by my reckoning I had been inside this flying monstrosity – a starship, they called it, of all things - for no longer than two weeks and in all that time I had never seen mistress entertain another guest. Steps echoed hollowly, announcing the arrival of the guest.
“Councillor Viln, to see her Eminence, Lady Star,” a voice spoke from beyond the door. So, that was her name.
“The Lady will see the Councillor. Enter,” I said, completing the ritual opening. I wondered why we even bothered with it, as the masters could mind-speak and surely knew of each other. Old habits die hard though and this small custom they allowed us. The door opened and a boy’s tousled head peeked through. He cautiously opened the door, bowing as he did so. Councillor Viln swept into the room and I found my lip curling. I detested him on sight. Tall and reed-thin as most of his people were, he nonetheless had nothing of their beauty. His face was flat and toad-like. He was clothed more richly then the room itself, and with less taste. Even the boy was wearing a garish set of mismatched pink and blue silks.
Councillor Viln chittered a greeting and in response, Star trilled a series of notes in their musical language. The boy took his place beside me as the two began to talk. I could sense nothing of mental communication. Why had they chosen to bother with speech? Perhaps there was more to this mindspeak than I had thought; something shared only between friends and family or worse, lovers. My eyes widened involuntarily at the thought. No wonder she had been so angry and not a little shocked, I reflected. It explained why she always said as little as possible and seemed to regard even that minimal contact with disgust. The bracelet was more my teacher than anything else and the lessons were often harsh.
A brief pause in the lilt of conversation and my body moved, reacted almost independent of thought. I poured the choka into their waiting cups and stood, waiting. They sipped and regarded each other thoughtfully for a moment. I took the chance to study my counterpart. I hadn’t seen him in the slave docks before and I couldn’t help but be glad. His skin was swarthy and gleamed darkly, as though oiled. Squat and hairy, he wore a self-satisfied expression. The conversation between our masters was accelerating, trills and beeps merging into an angry buzzing sound. Councillor Viln was leaning forward over the table, gesturing violently. Lady Star’s back was stiff and proper; he was pushing for something and she was insulted by the suggestion. It seemed the conversation was not going as planned; I could feel them moving mentally.
It felt as though the air in the room suddenly tightened, became restrictive. They weren’t speaking, so much as gathering themselves for something, I surmised. My throat was suddenly dry with fear. What should I do if they attacked one another? Almost as soon as I thought it, I knew I would leap at the unctuous Councillor to protect Star. As quickly as I knew it, so did he; his outraged eyes flew to mine and his mind lashed out. His touch was heavy and loathsome. Instinctively I reared away from it, fleeing deeper into my own mindscape. There was no thought, only reaction. An instant later, Star was there and the contact was severed. Blinking, I gasped at the tableau that had changed in the space of a heartbeat; Star was standing, clutching a long and slender silver rope in one hand. Iridescent light crawled along its length.
She was buzzing furiously and with one final, dismissive beep, she turned away. The Councillor rose, his bearing stiff and deeply affronted. He sent me one lasting glare before striding away. My hair was slick with sweat and I stood trembling before her, wondering what she would do now. I stared at the rope, its beautiful, deadly grace and saw in it a similar flame to the one burning with the lady. Star noted my interest in it, stroked its length tenderly.
– For once, your thoughts are of value. It is beautiful, is it not?
“Indeed, Mistress.” I hesitated a moment, before daring a question. “What is it exactly?”
She regarded my coolly. Without answering, she began to hum. The sound was melodious and sweet, a haunting tune that rose and fell. It was a song, I thought, but its relevance was lost on me. Its effects, however, were not. The rope shivered and began to retract with a series of chinks, faster and faster retreating into itself until it was once more a plain, silver ring adorning her left hand.
– It contains my namesake. Pure, raw starlight.
Her thoughts were warm and soft, tinged with sadness. She returned to her seat at the table, silent. A slight hand gesture and again, I moved without thought, to begin collecting the cups and plates. Hers, I left untouched, refilling it with the rejuvenating choka brew. She spared me a grateful glance and brought it to her lips once more.
“Mistress, about…what happened…” I began.
– It shall not happen again. To mindtouch another’s Si-an is a serious breach of conduct. Councillor Viln has been warned.
She thought I was referring to the confrontation. Of the thought that had prompted it, she said nothing. How far could I go with this? She was so indifferent, so aloof and strange that her motives and reasoning were beyond me. What more could I do but question?
“And earlier, Mistress? When I…” I hesitated, unsure of how to phrase it. She spared me the necessity.
– We shall not speak of it. And you shall not attempt it again.
“How can I stop what I cannot control?” I protested. “Mistress, I don’t even know what I did.”
– And we shall keep it that way. Now, go.
Disappointed, I collected the last of the dishes and walked to the door. I glanced back, with one last request but the flat stare she gave me warned me not to push it. Silently, I left the room and made my way to the kitchens.

The stones rippled and vanished, melding seamlessly back into the sterile, metallic walls I remembered. Though it felt traitorous to think it, I was glad for the change. It was much easier to see via the glowing panels laid into the ceiling, than it was by torchlight. I was glad too, that Star had thought to make the change. I trailed down the walkway, feeling no desire to hurry. I was only allowed in the Western Sector of the ship, but even so, it took nearly a quarter of an hour to reach the kitchen. I knew because Cook – a seedy, small man who refused to go by any other name – soundly informed me of the fact with a round of curses and a sharp cuff to the head. He told me it was late in the afternoon, pointing at the clock.
Cook had adapted with far more ease to the new technology. He was from a place called Earth and said such things were known there. The kitchen was bustling with people running to and fro, the occasional yelp indicating those too slow in their efforts. Presiding over it all, Cook gave orders with ease, directing his extensive staff as though he’d been doing it all his life. “I wasn’t always a cook,” he said once, mysteriously after one too many noxious brews. He didn’t seem displeased with his new vocation and like others, preferred not to speak on the past. Off to the side, most people were already seated and eating. I grabbed a plate and some food, finding a place at one of the less crowded tables.
Before I could even begin to eat, the ship began to shake and roar. Plates and spoons began to rattle and clank, creating a momentarily deafening cacophony. With an ease born of familiarity, no one panicked, the loose cutlery was held still and the din quietened. Conversations were stuck up once again.
“That’s the sixth time in two days that we’ve moved,” a bald man to my left said.
“Keeping count, old man?” Ember asked. It had taken me some time to get used to Ember, a young man with skin the colour of mahogany. He was lighter than those that ruled but even so, he was still treated with a measure of wariness and resentment. Though he was always polite, I still found it hard to meet his eyes.
“Damn right I am. I’ve been in too many scraps not to recognise what’s going on – we’re running from something.” His words were met with silence. I hadn’t been thinking on our arrivals or departures and hadn’t thought at all of what we were doing. It was passing strange, I reflected, that we had yet to reach the masters homeland and indeed, that we had stopped so often, for no apparent reason. The conversation, spoken softly, was lost beneath the general noise of the kitchen.
“That’s great, right? The enemy of my enemy is my friend,” Ember said, eyes lighting up with excitement. “Perhaps this will be our chance to escape! What if the pursuers are seeking to aid us?” If indeed we were running, it certainly accounted for Star’s edginess the past couple of days. Was the meeting with the councillor today somehow related? Something was definitely up, I thought. The old man thumped his hand down on the table, causing a few heads to turn. He stared them down, bullish, before returning to the matter at hand.
“Damn it, didn’t you hear me? We’re running! Trust me; we don’t want to face whatever’s got these lizard-freaks scared.”
“We don’t know anything for sure,” a quiet, smooth voice interceded. All eyes turned to me and with horror I realised the words had come from my mouth. I flushed deeply, ducking my head. “I just mean to say, we shouldn’t start jumping at every shadow. Could be anything.” Again, the words hadn’t come from me, but this time I recognised Starlight’s presence. She was trying to ensure we remained calm and placid but despite this I couldn’t stem an upwelling of outrage. How dare she use me so!
“The girl’s right.” There was a rueful sort of shame in the old man’s voice and I could see him reappraising me. “We don’t know anything yet. Still, we should keep alert.”
Last edited by Jiggity on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:14 pm
Angel of Death says...

Hey Jig!

Its so great to read something new of yours. I just happened to look in Science Fiction and here this was. Well anyways, I can't help you grammar wise but I think this is a very beautiful piece. The very first sentence drew me in, as always and your descriptions are like a drink from an oasis on a hot summer's day. Brilliant. I'm very intrigued by Starlight and this ship that they're voyaging on so please post more.

Favorite Paragraph

The stars glared down.
It was no wonder. I didn’t know them nor they me; those familiar pin points of light that I had ignored my whole life were now gone. The sky above bristled with foreign, hostile constellations; a bitter reminder of how far I was from home and one that I desperately needed. The bracelet buzzed in warning. Wide, thick and gleaming silver, it encircled my right wrist. I turned away from the window and continued on my way, head bowed. Occasionally shadows would brush over my face and I would hear a faint buzzing, the only indications that a master passed by.

I hope that you continue this and enjoy Europe!

As always,

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

798 Reviews

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:59 pm
Jiggity says...

Hey, Angel! I am feeling good, now that semester is over and my stress has been lifted a bit, so thank you very much for reading and critiquing! I intend to post a fair bit in the next few weeks, well, compared to the relative drought of the past several months.

Hope you enjoy and thanks again,

Cheers

p.s putting beautiful prose in a first person piece is relatively difficult, so I appreciate that you thought I still did well.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:43 am
Kylan says...

Jiggity -

As always, delightful. Your words are rich and well-chosen and it is always an entertaining experience to read a story of yours. You have the useful talent of being able to take a concept that could easily be botched by inexperienced and cliched writing and transform it into something very real and very adult. As a result, I do not have much to critique.

[adjective gardens]

However, there is one thing I would like to point out. And that is your overabundance of adjectives, especially ones that you've used before. I found that often when you were presented with an opprotunity to describe things using imagery, you avoided it and instead chose to slap an adjective of some kind on the sentence. And generally it was an adjective that has little meaning, recycled meaning. YFor instance, you used the word 'slender' three or four times. First of all, that particular word is overused and boring begin with and secondly, try to avoid using key words like that more than once or twice in a story (maybe even a novel) or else the reader will automatically be drawn to it.

Also, your similes were boring. Crumpled up like paper, tolling like a bell. Both have been used a million times.

In short, your ideas are fantastic, your style is solid, but I think you need to work on using language that is more stimulating and exciting.

[miscellaneous]

Lady Starlight

Really? This name sounds like something out of a Nintendo video game. Consider changing it to something more unique.

I look forward to more.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

798 Reviews

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:08 am
Jiggity says...

Ha! Ye gods, but you're quick, with the response. I like that about you. I freely admit to not being proficient within the first person style - this is, I think, perhaps the third time I've attempted it. It's difficult to come up with good prose, great descriptions and such when your vehicle of doing so, is a chambermaid. Not the most imaginative of people, by all accounts ha, but I shall endeavour to improve, nonetheless.

As for Starlight - well, I didn't create these people's customs! Okay, so maybe I did, but it was without conscious thought. She and her sisters - leaders of the other two starships - are known for the essence they have captured on behalf of their respective patron Goddess'. Starlight, Sunlight and Moonlight.

If it's worthy of Nintendo, XD - which I don't play - then I guess its good enough for me. Although I should probably think about that.

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 pm
LowKey says...

My body crumpled, muscles liquid with pain and I convulsed on the floor.

Comma after ‘pain’ yes? Little bit awkward otherwise. ;)

They had made a few more stops; a few more detours then usual, but as yet no one had questioned it.

Than?

Very interesting piece, Jabbs. Loved the first paragraph. Beautiful imagery. Hooked me from the start. Can’t say much about it thought wise at the moment, but thinking that I should be able to give you something a bit more after number two.

Si an (for lack of name) seems solid so far, character wise. I’m interested in her past and how she came to be in this situation, though I’m not expecting you to suddenly diverge the entire story at some point.

Starlight – originally the evil mistress, which had the potential to be flat, now the interesting character. I think the last bit from her point of view saved he from paper-hood. Can’t wait to see more interactions between her and other characters.
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

798 Reviews

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:05 pm
Jiggity says...

Heya, thanks for the comment and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:28 pm
Sureal says...

Yay, I love reading stuff by you. =)

Anyway, thoughts:

The sky above bristled with foreign, hostile constellations; a bitter reminder of how far I was from home and one that I desperately needed.

Maybe I’m just a bit slow, but I had to re-read this before I could figure out that the ‘one’ the narrator needed was the ‘bitter reminder’. I initially thought the ‘one’ was actually a ‘home’, which of course doesn’t make sense in context.

I shuddered, still unused to it and quickened my step.

Maybe you should have a comma after ‘it’? At the moment, it looks like the narrator shuddered because she quickened her steps, as well as because she was unused to it.

“Councillor Viln, to see her Eminence, Lady Starlight,”

I have to agree with Kylan above me. I’m not fond of her name, although it did grow on me beyond its first utterance here.

It shall not happen again. To mindtouch another's Si-an [property] is a serious breach of conduct. Councillor Viln has been warned.

Nyah, I never like it when a writer inserts something like that into their writing. It always feels so … tacky.

And besides, it’s unneeded. ‘Property’ didn’t really elucidate the subject any (not like the word ‘slave’ would have), and as such I had to figure out what a Si-an was be the end of the chapter anyway, which I managed to do quite easily.

------

Is this the novel you mentioned before? I like it. It’s a nifty premise, and I can’t wait to see where you’ll be taking it.
I wrote the above just for you.

798 Reviews

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:58 am
Jiggity says...

Hola!

No, this isn't the novel I mentioned before - its for an science fiction anthology, but I'm fairly sure it's not going to stay under the word limit, despite my best efforts. *sigh*

Thanks for the comments though.

p.s the novel is 'Shadow of the Sun'.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:51 am
JFW1415 says...

The promised critique!

To Follow a Trend

I don't know why, but recently it seems all of YWS has been starting their pieces with a one sentence paragraph. It's supposed to hook the reader off the bat – it's short, so it must be important. But I think it's forced here. Just go ahead and add this to the next paragraph – maybe making it a bit longer so you don't have two short choppy sentences in a row – and start your story with a regular paragraph.

To Switch Directions

The stars at the beginning bothered me. It was great imagery and everything, and a creative way to tell us the MC's far from home, but there's such a sudden turnaround after it feels odd. You just made it a little too important for it to then be completely forgotten about.

It's a… Girl?

Either the MC's a girl or the Starlight person had more than one kid on her… ship? But really, during the whole beginning I assumed the MC was a boy. Probably just 'cause you're a guy – guys tend to write guy-like characters, and girls tend to write girl-like characters. Just try to let it slip that she's a girl in one of the earlier scenes, 'cause the POV switch confused me – I had no idea who she was talking about.

Don't Make Me Sleep

This was actually rather boring. (No offense? :)) You're a great writer and all, but I think you may have started at a bad point. I'm kinda just sitting here reading, waiting for the story to start. Yeah, you're setting everything up, but can't you let these details come in as we read, or have some things happen later? Excite us a bit. Hook us. :)

Anyways, that's all I got. PM me for anything at all, and if you'd ever like another critique – including the next parts of this – feel free to drop by my critique center. :)

~JFW1415

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:01 pm
Suzuhara says...

The stars glared down.

It was no wonder. I didn’t know them nor they me; those familiar pin points of light that I had ignored my whole life were now gone. The sky above bristled with foreign, hostile constellations; a bitter reminder of home not lost on me as the bracelet buzzed in warning. Wide, thick and gleaming silver, it encircled my right wrist. I turned from the window and continued on my way, head bowed. Occasionally shadows would brush over my face and I would hear a faint humming, the only indications that a master passed by.

Only one bothered to brush minds with me but it was the briefest of touches. I shuddered, still unused to it, and quickened my step. The bracelet buzzed again, this time sending a small jolt of pain into my shoulder. Though I didn’t look, my feet knew the familiar, winding way through the cold stone passageways. Burning torches, oily smoke and draughty winds; all so very, very familiar. It was the latest game she had decided to play with me. In some twisted way, she actually thought this was a nice gesture. To create the illusion of Castle Cilna, of home, was the worst sort of torture I could imagine. I struggled to reign (the correct word is "rein") in my anger, my shame as I climbed the steps up the northern tower.

Reaching the top, I knocked carefully (how do you knock carefully?) on the wooden door. It flew open [s]almost immediately[/s] and I cowered before the wrath of my mistress. Of course, the illusion of home was never complete with [s]such as[/s] her in control. Tall, impossibly slender and coloured as darkly as night, she was both ephemeral and strikingly beautiful. Her long (her long what? hair?), tapered gleamed in the light. She was buzzing (If you want your prose to be stronger, try avoiding the progressive tense. You can use it, but don't overuse it. This is a bit of a nitpick, I know, but I prefer reading something in the past. So try not to use it unless you really need it. See how much stronger this is: She buzzed in anger, small intermittent trills indicating her displeasure. As a reader, I feel that this reads better) in anger, small intermittent trills indicating her displeasure.

– You are late.

– Mistress, I –

I got no further then that as waves of pain lanced into me. My body folded, muscles turned liquid with pain and I convulsed on the floor. Behind the pain, tides of rage pounded into me and something else; a darker, murky emotion was threaded throughout (throughout out? His heart? Try to avoid overusing the passive voice as well. Use the passive voice when you want to emphasize the "victim" of an action. Otherwise, use active voice). As suddenly as it had come it was (another thing is to try using stronger verbs in place of "to be" words or tenses. How about: As suddenly as it had come it disappeared and I gasped for air, tears stinging my eyes. Notice how I also eliminated the adverb. These are killers in prose. Use adverbs sparingly. Adverbs, however, are great for showing something that contrasts each other like "she smiled sadly" or "he killed her softly") gone and I was gasping harshly for air, tears stinging my eyes.

– Attend me.

The words sliced into my mind. I scrambled to my feet and stood trembling, eyes fearful of meeting hers. My thoughts were (from now on, I'm going to bold "to be" words that are not necessary. Try to replace them with stronger verbs. Don't make everything exist with "was" and "were" but make things do with "spread" or "permeated". For example: Fear scattered my thoughts. No need to add scramble b/c then you're just repeating yourself.) scrambled, scattered by fear. What had I just done? I took a deep breath.

“Apologies, Mistress. I acted without thought,” I said, carefully.

– Speak of this to no one. Now, attend me.

She retreated into the room, the deep blue of her gown swishing in her wake. The antechamber was sumptuous, decorated in rich reds and golds, patterned with the Cilna personal crest. I’d never even been in this room, reserved as it was by the Duke for foreign dignitaries and important visitors. How could she possibly know so much of it? A chilling thought occurred to me: perhaps she’d been there herself. Perhaps I wasn’t the only one taken and even now, Castle Cilna lay in ruins. I clamped down on the horrible images that followed, forcing myself to take note of the room. An exquisite table was set out with dishes and a steaming pot of choka, its spicy scent giving the room a heady air.

She was expecting someone, then. I took my place at the side of the table, as she sat down and waited. Internally, I was still reeling from what I had done and now with a moment to collect myself, I thought on it. I’d always been able to sense them touch my mind; it was as though they dipped a hand into the most private part of my soul, sometimes as light as a caress, oft-times more savage and violent. Until this day, I hadn’t thought it unusual that I should be able to know this, nor had I spoken to anyone about it. Was I going to be punished for it?

– No, now be silent! He comes.

My back stiffened beneath her disapproval, but my curiosity was piqued (by what?). In this place of nonstop, strange lighting, it was hard to mark the passing of time, but by my reckoning I had been inside this flying monstrosity – a starship, they called it, of all things - for no longer than two weeks and in all that time I had never seen mistress entertain another guest. Steps echoed hollowly, announcing the arrival of the guest.

“Councillor Viln, to see her Eminence, Lady Star,” a voice spoke from beyond the door. So, that was her name.

“The Lady will see the Councillor. Enter,” I said, completing the ritual opening. I wondered why we even bothered with it, as the masters could mind-speak and surely knew of each other. Old habits die hard though and this small custom they allowed us. The door opened and a boy’s tousled head peeked through. He cautiously opened the door, bowing as he did so. Councillor Viln swept into the room and I found my lip curling. I detested him on sight. Tall and reed-thin as most of his people were, he nonetheless had nothing of their beauty. His face was flat and toad-like. He was clothed more richly then the room itself, and with less taste. Even the boy was wearing a garish set of mismatched pink and blue silks.

Councillor Viln chittered a greeting and in response, Star trilled a series of notes in their musical language. The boy took his place beside me as the two began to talk. I could sense nothing of mental communication. Why had they chosen to bother with speech? Perhaps there was more to this mindspeak than I had thought; something shared only between friends and family or worse, lovers. My eyes widened involuntarily at the thought. No wonder she had been so angry and not a little shocked, I reflected. It explained why she always said as little as possible and seemed to regard even that minimal contact with disgust. The bracelet was more my teacher than anything else and the lessons were often harsh.

A brief pause in the lilt of conversation and my body moved, reacted almost independent of thought. I poured the choka into their waiting cups and stood, waiting. They sipped and regarded each other thoughtfully for a moment. I took the chance to study my counterpart. I hadn’t seen him in the slave docks before and I couldn’t help but be glad. His skin was swarthy and gleamed darkly, as though oiled. Squat and hairy, he wore a self-satisfied expression. The conversation between our masters was accelerating, trills and beeps merging into an angry buzzing sound. Councillor Viln was leaning forward over the table, gesturing violently. Lady Star’s back was stiff and proper; he was pushing for something and she was insulted by the suggestion. It seemed the conversation was not going as planned; I could feel them moving mentally.

It felt as though the air in the room suddenly tightened, [s]became restrictive[/s]. They weren’t speaking, so much as gathering themselves for something, I surmised. My throat was. how about turned dry? suddenly dry with fear. What should I do if they attacked one another? Almost as soon as I thought it (As soon as the thought crossed my mind), I knew I would leap at the unctuous Councillor to protect Star. As quickly as I knew it, so did he; his outraged eyes flew to mine and his mind lashed out. His touch was heavy and loathsome. Instinctively I reared away from it, fleeing deeper into my own mindscape. There was no thought, only reaction. An instant later, Star was there and the contact was severed. Blinking, I gasped at the tableau that had changed in the space of a heartbeat; Star was standing, clutching a long and slender silver rope in one hand. Iridescent light crawled along its length.

She was buzzing furiously and with one final, dismissive beep, she turned away. The Councillor rose, his bearing stiff and deeply affronted. He sent me one lasting glare before striding away. My hair was slick with sweat and I stood trembling before her, wondering what she would do now. I stared at the rope, its beautiful, deadly grace and saw in it a similar flame to the one burning with the lady. Star noted my interest in it, stroked its length tenderly.

– For once, your thoughts are of value. It is beautiful, is it not?

“Indeed, Mistress.” I hesitated a moment, before daring a question. “What is it exactly?”

She regarded my coolly. Without answering, she began to hum. The sound was melodious and sweet, a haunting tune that rose and fell. It was a song, I thought, but its relevance was lost on me. Its effects, however, were not. The rope shivered and began to (avoid the constructions: began to or started to; they weaken your writing) retract with a series of chinks, faster and faster retreating into itself until it was once more a plain, silver ring adorning her left hand.

– It contains my namesake. Pure, raw starlight.

Her thoughts were warm and soft, tinged with sadness. She returned to her seat at the table, silent. A slight hand gesture and again, I moved without thought, to begin collecting the cups and plates. Hers, I left untouched, refilling it with the rejuvenating choka brew. She spared me a grateful glance and brought it to her lips once more.

“Mistress, about…what happened…” I began.

– It shall not happen again. To mindtouch another’s Si-an is a serious breach of conduct. Councillor Viln has been warned.

She thought I was referring to the confrontation. Of the thought that had prompted it, she said nothing. How far could I go with this? She was so indifferent, so aloof and strange that her motives and reasoning were beyond me. What more could I do but question?

“And earlier, Mistress? When I…” I hesitated, unsure of how to phrase it. She spared me the necessity.

– We shall not speak of it. And you shall not attempt it again.

“How can I stop what I cannot control?” I protested. “Mistress, I don’t even know what I did.”

– And we shall keep it that way. Now, go.

Disappointed, I collected the last of the dishes and walked to the door. I glanced back, with one last request but the flat stare she gave me warned me not to push it. Silently, I left the room and made my way to the kitchens.

The stones rippled and vanished, melding seamlessly back into the sterile, metallic walls I remembered. Though it felt traitorous to think it, I was glad for the change. It was much easier to see via the glowing panels laid into the ceiling, than it was by torchlight. I was glad too, that Star had thought to make the change. I trailed down the walkway, feeling no desire to hurry. I was only allowed in the Western Sector of the ship, but even so, it took nearly a quarter of an hour to reach the kitchen. I knew because Cook – a seedy, small man who refused to go by any other name – soundly informed me of the fact with a round of curses and a sharp cuff to the head. He told me it was late in the afternoon, pointing at the clock.

Cook had adapted with far more ease to the new technology. He was from a place called Earth and said such things were known there. The kitchen was bustling with people running to and fro, the occasional yelp indicating those too slow in their efforts. Presiding over it all, Cook gave orders with ease, directing his extensive staff as though he’d been doing it all his life. “I wasn’t always a cook,” he said once, mysteriously after one too many noxious brews. He didn’t seem displeased with his new vocation and like others, preferred not to speak on the past. Off to the side, most people were already seated and eating. I grabbed a plate and some food, finding a place at one of the less crowded tables.

Before I could even [s]begin to eat[/s] take a bite, the ship [s]began to[/s] shook and roar. Plates and spoons began to rattle and clank, creating a momentarily deafening cacophony. With an ease born of familiarity, no one panicked, the loose cutlery was held still and the din quietened. Conversations were stuck up once again.

“That’s the sixth time in two days that we’ve moved,” a bald man to my left said.

“Keeping count, old man?” Ember asked. It had taken me some time to get used to Ember, a young man with skin the colour of mahogany. He was lighter than those that ruled but even so, he was still treated with a measure of wariness and resentment. Though he was always polite, I still found it hard to meet his eyes.

“Damn right I am. I’ve been in too many scraps not to recognise what’s going on – we’re running from something.” His words were met with silence. I hadn’t been thinking on our arrivals or departures and hadn’t thought at all of what we were doing. It was passing strange, I reflected, that we had yet to reach the masters homeland and indeed, that we had stopped so often, for no apparent reason. The conversation, spoken softly, was lost beneath the general noise of the kitchen.

“That’s great, right? The enemy of my enemy is my friend,” Ember said, eyes lighting up with excitement. “Perhaps this will be our chance to escape! What if the pursuers are seeking to aid us?” If indeed we were running, it certainly accounted for Star’s edginess the past couple of days. Was the meeting with the councillor today somehow related? Something was definitely up, I thought. The old man thumped his hand down on the table, causing a few heads to turn. He stared them down, bullish, before returning to the matter at hand.

“Damn it, didn’t you hear me? We’re running! Trust me; we don’t want to face whatever’s got these lizard-freaks scared.”

“We don’t know anything for sure,” a quiet, smooth voice interceded. All eyes turned to me and with horror I realised the words had come from my mouth. I flushed deeply, ducking my head. “I just mean to say, we shouldn’t start jumping at every shadow. Could be anything.” Again, the words hadn’t come from me, but this time I recognised Starlight’s presence. She was trying to ensure we remained calm and placid but despite this I couldn’t stem an upwelling of outrage. How dare she use me so!

“The girl’s right.” There was a rueful sort of shame in the old man’s voice and I could see him reappraising me. “We don’t know anything yet. Still, we should keep alert.”

Hey Jiggity, I like your writing, but you need to cutback on the adjectives, adverbs, passive voice, and other uses of the verbs "to be." As for your main character, I don't feel quite connected to him because he feels a bit...too normal or rather docile for my taste. I know he's a slave, but I'm not feeling any real personality out of him. The pace of this is a bit slow, so you might want to reward the reader with goodies in the middle of the piece. Try turning up the tension by using small sentences as well. That's all my advice. I hoped it helped!

Suzu
With tears in my eyes and blood in my hands, I pull through and conquer my fears. ~Zackaria Kato

Please check out my blog: sammysuzuhara.blogspot.com

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:58 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

Hey, honey. Look, I finally scanned stuff in. If something is unclear or my handwriting is illegible please tell me.

WATERBOARDING IN SCI-FI LAND

How is it the worst torture? You mention that the illusion of the Castle was the worst sort of torture. There needs to be some sort of reference to get across the severity of it.

IN A BIG COUNTRY

One of the things that bothered me was the lack of physicality, especially in the beginning. It also had me confused because I didn't realize it was in space until half way through the piece.

ANDROGYNY IS COOL, BUT CONFUSING, YO.

I find it rather difficult in first person to indicate gender. And, it wasn't until the end of this that I realized h, it's a girl.

LIZARD-FREAKS

I really enjoyed reading the last scene.

:D

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

798 Reviews

Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:28 pm
Jiggity says...

Ah! I totally forgot you were meant to look at this. I also forgot to mention that given the severe make over I have decided to give it (i.e turn it into a novella or proper novel, I did way too much condensing) you shouldn't worry about it, lol. But I definitely appreciate the effort and the comment about the lack of physicality concerned me too (its a problem I have with all first person writing) but more in terms of surrounding than character-wise.

Also, being overseas now, I think I can attest that for the flat I'm living in to suddenly be structured exactly like home, would be beyond unbearable. That's what I meant by that.

Cheers for the critique!

Much love,

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sat May 09, 2009 1:36 am
EaganDorian says...

I found it hard to get make it through the opening put it looks like there are some good parts lying within the story. I would really recommend redoing the opening a little before you go on too far in the story. Just to give you an idea (this isn't to be mean, just informative. Sorry if it offends but you would rather have me tell you this then a publisher.) I have no interest to keep going on from only reading the first couple of paragraphs. Redo the beginning and you will be in good shape. Keep fighting for your writing.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sat May 09, 2009 2:13 am
Sachiko says...

Locked by author's request.
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

I hope everyone's safe and sound and has some potatoes in the pantry.
— Arcticus