z

Young Writers Society

The Tantalizing Cellphone

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:08 am
cmarie159 says...

[pre] You mock me. Oh yes, you mock me. Sitting there, showing the time. How you mock me. If you weren't on silent you would be laughing at me, perhaps telling me how pathetic I am. I'm already aware of this fact. Stop staring at me.

Okay, I've had enough, I'm putting you in my pocket. What, you think I'm lying? Watch me.

Yeah, I put you in my pocket, what then? Yes, I realize I have an urge to look at you, but I won't. I won't open my sent box to see if he read my text. That would be obsessive, and everyone knows I am not obsessive.

So I looked in my sent box, do you have something to say to me? Hm? Didn't think so. It said he read it, so he must just be doing something. Like working, he could be working. Or he could just not care.

No, nonsense, stop putting these ideas in my head. He definitely cares, he may not be your boyfriend but the kind of texts he sends you?

Or even worse. What if he's texting your friend instead? She's definitely more normal than you.

Damn you, phone. You made me doubt myself again. But starting now I will not look at you. No, I won't. You may think that you're my best friend, oh, but you're so far from it, it isn't even funny. Now, stop staring at me.

No good is going to come from this. You think that you will win this little war, but alas, you won't.

So what if I just looked at the sent time and noticed he hasn't texted back in eleven minutes? That means nothing. It's not like I care. No, of course I don't care, you stupid piece of plastic and metal. You have no control over me, I am a human being. I am superior to you, MY RACE MADE YOU.

Um, you've resorted me to begging. Stop staring at me, mocking me. Unless you have a text from him, stop it. Now you're gonna make me cry. Please go away. You. Are. Not. My. Friend.

Fine. Sit there and stare at me. Be jealous that I have opposable thumbs. Be jealous that I will live longer than you. Be jealous that I can enjoy cupcakes.

I should throw you across the room. Just take it and throw you against the wall. But I go to pick it up and i realize... if I do, I'll never get the text. Well, and my mother will kill me. I'll just sit you here.

You, just sitting there, you. All you're loved for is bringing messages from loved ones. No, not loved ones, liked ones. Oh good God, I used the word "love" didn't I? See what you made me do, you little piece of sh- ... oh my gosh he texted back! Oh he's at his friend's house. They must be playing video games. He doesn't hate me.

Dear cell phone, how I like thee. Wait, now I'm supposed to reply with something witty, sexy, silly, and wonderful at the same time. I hate you, look what trouble you've caused me. Gosh....[/pre]

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:12 am
Talking_Pinata says...

Wow. Just. Wow. Genius again my good friend. Genius again. Only a COUPLE things in the last paragraph where letters are missing. Other than that. Just. Wow. Genius again.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:27 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

Wow, I really like this; the beginning was really powerful and drew you in, and I liked the idea.

Using 'gosh' at the end though...bit of a 'goody-goody' type word. :wink: :D

The font was a little difficult to read. Remember to format it before you post. :wink:
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:09 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

No, nonsense, stop putting these ideas in my head. He definitely cares, he may not be your boyfriend but the kind of texts he sends you? Or even worse. What if he's texting your friend instead? She's definitely more normal than you.

You switch voices here. It is her boyfriend, not "your."

I like the progression of this piece.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

20 Reviews

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:32 pm
cmarie159 says...

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'm not quite sure what you meant by me changing voices here, it would be great if you elaborate.

and I will definitely try to format it better next time.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:50 am
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

well, Griffinkeeper found that error--i thought there were more, but i didn't find any...they vanished, i suppose. looking back at it, it seems like the phone talked to the main character...but that doesn't make much sense, unless you were trying to emphasize the MC's insanity.

she(i assume it was she?) would have to be insane to want to use a cell phone to begin with.

this was a really cool piece, definitely a clever format.
Am I a one eyed hunter of unicorns or a hunter of one eyed unicorns? The world may never know.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:55 pm
Prosithion says...

uhhh. This isn't really sci-fi.

It seems like the narrator is a little... unstable. The way she is having an argument with the cell phone is weirrd.

This was only alright for me, man.

there were several spelling mistakes, and for the love of God, change the font. It makes it impossible to read.

Cheers,
Pros
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

20 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:59 pm
cmarie159 says...

thanks for all the reviews! I didn't actually submit this to sci-fi, i submitted it to other, but somehow it got fudged up, haha. I realize that the font is HORRID! (i'm not touching the "pre" button again 0.o)

Thanks for all the critiques and positive aspects.

-Chanelmarie x]

20 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:00 pm
cmarie159 says...

the narrator is not mentally disable. although she'd like to say she has never took ANY crazy test.

=X

ok now she's worried.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 pm
Kepe says...

I liked it, especially the fact that you made the cell phone have a voice without saying anything. Also I think just about everyone can relate here. Personally, it reminded me of the time I stayed up all night waiting to be texted back, only to go to bed crying. Its pathetic, cell phones are a sort of addiction, and I thought you did a good job of showing that. The only real critique I could give you is that I think you need a better title, because your title does fit your story, but it still sounds kinda boring- unlike your story.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:20 pm
JFW1415 says...

Hello again! Same format as always.

Highlighted Comments

1. Re-look at this. I’m not sure if ‘you’ is intentional, since he technically sends the texts to the phone, and the second half makes no sense.
2. This sounds a little different than the rest of the piece. Maybe just ‘He wouldn’t text her rather than me,’ or something similar?
3. Too educated for her voice.
4. This looks childish. Just italicize it.
5. ‘Um’ is poor wording, and she’s not begging.
6. I think she should at least try to sound stronger…This seems a bit out of character.
7. I loved this!
8. Every other time, we don’t watch her doing the action – don’t start now. Maybe just ‘But if I do, I’ll never…’ Make sense?
9. What’s the point of this word?
10. Apostrophes, not quotation marks.
11. She already used ‘God,’ don’t go and switch on us.
12. I’d prefer ‘love’ here…
13. Heehee, the mature voice works! ;P
14. Again with the Gosh.

Overall Comments

I actually have nothing more to say. You are a great writer, and have a lot of potential. You better PM me when you get something else up! :P

~JFW1415

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:55 am
RandomGrrl says...

I love this! So funny, but so true. I love love love the ending, but there's a few obvious mistakes I'm sure you'll find. This is sheer brilliance!
PM me when you post anything else!
RG

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sun May 04, 2008 12:10 am
Conrad Rice says...

This was very brilliant and witty. I'll emphasize the witty part again, simply because I liked that particular aspect of it. You really wrote a good story here. I've read it over and over again already. Keep it up :)
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

Reviews: 2
Wed May 07, 2008 4:31 am
CarpeOminous says...

I love how the cell phone was a character even though it remained inanimate - you gave it a character. Very nice work. You show the modern addiction to the cell phone as well as the complete teenage angst of waiting for the reply of a special somebody. It needs a little bit of a better ending, but I like how the war between her and the phone is ongoing.

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster