z

Young Writers Society

TWO< THREE

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:28 pm
FLyerS says...

Two

It was time to start the rest of my life, I thought wryly. It had been three days. Benny had been especially understanding. She didn’t talk, just changed the bandages on my arm, fed and watered me, waited for me to awaken from my grief-induced stupor. I was exceptionally grateful to her.

I got up and went looking for her. She was outside. “So, you’re finally up.”

“Yeah, and I have some questions.” I looked around. “Starting with, how is the house bigger on the inside than the outside?”

“First of all, its not a house, its a spaceship, and it isn’t bigger on the inside, Its just that only the inside makes use of the fourth dimension.” She was looking at me, gouging my expression to see if I believed her.

“There are only three dimensions.” I said. Immediately after I felt my face burn. What did I know?

“in all actuality, there are twenty-seven, not counting half dimensions, and there are millions of those.” She didn’t smile at my mistake.

“OK.” I decided I believed her. “What were those, uh, weird things?”

“They are called ‘Strange Ones,’ I don’t know what they are really, but they’re probably aliens.” Her face was blank of all emotion. She was like a stone.

“Um, ‘Strange Ones’ isn’t very creative on your part, why not something like ...” Truthfully, I couldn’t think of anything.

“Let me know when you think of something.” I realized I’d never seen her smile. A normal person would have at least cracked a grin at my lame attempt. “Next question.”

“Where are we?” I was worried that someone was looking for me. Then I realized there was no one to look for me.

“Andes Mountains, but a more appropriate question would probably be: when are we.” I took the bait.

“When are we?” I blinked, “How long was I unconscious?”

“One day, but that’s irrelevant.” She sounded like making these cryptic little remarks was the most fun she’d had in years. Looking at Benny, I realized it probably was. “What year do you think it is?”

I answered easily, “Two thousand twelve.”

“No.”

“Two thousand thirteen.”

“Not even close.”

I sighed. “When then?”

“It is the year sixty-two hundred.”

three

“The house is a time machine?” It didn’t seem too ludicrous, mostly because I had accepted it as a spaceship.

“Yes,” She seemed satisfied that I had grasped it. “ Do you want to go home or what?”

I was startled. “Oh, well I guess ...” I hadn’t really thought about going back all that much after I realized I had nothing to go back to.

She sighed “key word there, ‘want’ as in ‘do you want to go back.’ You don’t have to. Its not like I have anybody else to talk to.”

I smiled “Its not like I have anybody else to talk to either.”

“True.” She considered this. “Also, you will need some help with those scars. They go deeper than the skin... They make you more intelligent for one.”

“Yeah right.”

“What’s 78 times 193?” Benny said.

Of corse I don’t know that. Nobody can do that kind of math in their - “Fourteen thousand four hundred seventy-five”

“So there.” She looked smug. “Also, there is some trouble with nerve damage, random pain flashes around the scarred areas, Enhanced reflexes, and apathy.”

“So that’s why you’re so...” I waved my hand in front of my face. She ignored me.

“If you want to go home, or somewhere else, I will gladly take you.”

“Go home? Ha! I have an open invitation to save the world. How cool!”

“Maybe the symptoms are different for you. You seem to care.” Benny cocked her head, “Or maybe I’m the crazy one.”

“No comment.” I’d seen the way she handled a gun. I wasn’t going to get on the wrong side of her.

“We need to go on a mission soon, we need different clothes, and we’re running out of food.” I liked that she said ‘we’ like we were a team. I didn’t like her next comment though, “I’ll have to teach you how to handle a gun.”

“I know how to handle a gun! I’ve done it millions of times.” Frankly I was insulted.

She shook her head. “My Hawk won’t be invented for several centuries after your time.”

“Oh...” I obviously didn’t know how to handle a gun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

She obviously didn’t know how to handle a gun. When I first gave her the Hawk she asked where the trigger was. I couldn’t believe it. Triggers were so inefficient. They hadn’t made any guns with triggers since the 3000s. My Hawk aimed and shot by telepathic commands. The idea of it having a trigger was insulting.

After she got the hang of shooting it, she asked how many rounds it shot. When I blinked at her she said ‘you know, how many bullets at a time.’ Bullets! It was amazing! My Hawk shot lazar charges. Then she asked how often it needed to be charged! Wow. My ego (and that of my gun) was bruised. As if I would ever get a gun that didn’t have at least two nuclear batteries!

“Alice. The only maintenance my gun ever needs is to wipe the blood off it after a close shot.” I said the words slowly so that she could understand.

“O.K. No need to get uptight about it.” She rolled her eyes. “Sheesh”

I pinched the bridge of my nose.

“Sorry, now I know though, I’ll never ask stupid questions about your gun again”

“OK. Now you know how to use it. Time to go shopping.”[b]

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:37 am
mimimac says...

Hey!
All in all this was an OK piece. To tell you the truth it was sort of boring; it lacked emotion and you only used dialogue and did not once describe anything (such as the characters and the spaceship).You also did not really show what the characters were thinking which I think is vitally important when writing in first person. Another thing I would like to point out is that all I found out about your chracters from what you wrote is that one was in a stupor and is clueless about the time she is now living in (the future). And the other one is some person from the future who never smiles and is great when it comes to using a gun. You should show their personalities more, you obviously should not overload it since this is only the first chapter or so... but some more information would be extremely helpful. In the first part I did not even know whether the person who has just come out of the stupor was a boy or girl! I only found out in this line:
She obviously didn’t know how to handle a gun.

Now there are two reasons why this could have happened:
a/ I'm an idiot and don't pay enough attention when reviewing ( :( This is an actual possibility :P)
b/ You gave no indication whether the person was male or female!

I personally found the second part of your story to be better than the first because you stopped using dialogue ALL THE TIME! You need to find a healthy middle and stay there!

Now I'm going to move on to things I liked about this piece *phew* I can now stop being mean :P

I liked the story! With more care and attention.. and descriptions and more character development and not just dailogue... this could be very good.
Of corse I don’t know that. Nobody can do that kind of math in their - “Fourteen thousand four hundred seventy-five”

Good one :D

All in all there were no particular grammatical mistakes. Just break your habit of just writing in dialogue and describe the character and their feelings, environment etc

PM me if you need anything :)

xxmimixx
-mors aut honorabilis vita-

Forget the prince with a horse, I want a vampire with a volvo.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:59 am
Jay says...

I like this. It's sweet and funny. Something about it really appeals to me. The dialogue is the standout in your writing-it's realistic and funny.

The idea is also interesting, and I like that the reader gets to discover it slowly and gradually, rather than having all the detail dumped at once. This way, it keeps the reader guessing, leaving things open for interpretation.

Overall, well done. The humour and dialogue are great.

Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau