z

Young Writers Society

Hatchet - (Rough sketch)

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:34 pm
Fishr says...

Out of boredom, I looked at a picture, and drew it pretty quickly, but anyway, there it is.

The original.

The same picture, but rotated.

The image I used for reference, to at least draw the rough outlines, and whatnot. I need to learn how to shade better. ;)

---
The originals were huge so I scaled them down a little.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:50 pm
David Guinness says...

It...reminds me a bit of white bread.... :D But for a rough sketch, it's pretty good.

It just needs some added shading, really.
David Guinness

365 Reviews

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:13 pm
Fishr says...

Wheat breah, eh? :lol: That's an interesting and amusing reaction.

Yeah, I figured it need some touchups, I'm not sure where? Perhaps the blade itself?
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

114 Reviews

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:41 pm
David Guinness says...

For now, I would make a copy of it, and shade everything in the copy much darker, so it more closely resembles the reference image.

Then perhaps I can help you with specific areas.
David Guinness

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:43 pm
Poor Imp says...

'Tis very neat. But the blade looks rather flat. Perhaps because of how hard-defined the shading is?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:50 pm
Snoink says...

It's not a hook in the original picture, but that's what it looks like to us. :?
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

114 Reviews

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:53 pm
David Guinness says...

Hmm... now that I tilt my head, I see Curious George, sort of...

I think I must be seeing things today. ;)
David Guinness

365 Reviews

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:55 pm
Fishr says...

Weee... Thanks guys for the suggestions! I'll play around and see what I can do in the mean time.

It's not a hook in the original picture, but that's what it looks like to us.
I was waiting for someone to mention this. Actually, no, there isn't in the original picture. It was my modified version. I liked the 'hook' part curved more than the original hatchet. ;) While I'm a visual 'drawer' (for lack of a better word), sometimes I make my own improvements.

EDIT:
Hmm... now that I tilt my head, I see Curious George, sort of...
And that's why we love art! Reactions/opinions are always fun! :)

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:04 am
View Likes
electricbluemonkey says...

Good for a sketch. The handle seems a little thin though. The blade looks way to flat compared to the original picture thing.
Last edited by electricbluemonkey on Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:37 am
Sohini says...

you're pretty good at shading.
i'm terrible.

i love the real pic. can i have a real hatchet like that???
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:21 am
Shine says...

Shading is really hard,U are indeed very good at it. :)

Sohini saya:i love the real pic. can i have a real hatchet like that???

Why not! :P
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

365 Reviews

Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:48 pm
Fishr says...

He he, thanks guys.

I'm actually plugging away at it s'more. I don't know, but I like the handle the best. And yes shading is a pain in the arse, especially when someone *cough* me *cough* hasn't dabbled in it several years, lol.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:25 am
Sponson Light says...

OOhhh, yeah, metal's real trickey. Nice attempt at it though, props for ya. Especially the numbers imprinted on it.

Thats a good way to check your art, flip it, if it looks fine flipped, you did something right.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

365 Reviews

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:00 am
Fishr says...

Thanks Sponson for the tip. :) And yes, I agree, metel is pretty difficult to draw realistically. I'll get the hang of it though.

You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen