Username or E-mail:
Forget your password?
Young Writers Society
Art & Photography
Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:52 pm
So.. I finally decided to show you some of my art - and also earn you who will review it some points
As you'll see, I do all kinds of stuff, but I've just recently started with digital art and am far more a fan of traditional.. Also I'm not a person who prefers colors. But, oh, well.
Sooner or later, I'll add more stuff (in new threads), some photography maybe and who knows, hah
So.. This one is my first digital drawing, made on iPad a few weeks ago.
This one is from some three years ago (1st year of high school, that is).. We were on a school trip and draw the city's sights.
The technique is, quite obviously, pencil. 4B, as much I remember.
Also a school assignment, part of the bigger picture.. The model was a girl from my class
This one's in pencil as well (though we usually draw each other in charcoal, but I prefer pencils).
Theeeen.. This one is a random wizard girl I imagined.. I think I was 1st year of High at the time as well. Or 2nd. Her face is kind of.. Meh.. But I like the magic ball thingy she holds xD
Also obviously pencil. 2B (?)
Oh, this one actually has colors xD
It's ink and color pencils (scanned so it doesn't look as gentle as it actually does)..
And this is what happens when Aria gets to illuminate first part of Apprentice's Tale (find it in my written works portfolio, hihi)..
Ink. And that's my handwriting all the time :3
More than enough, isn't it?
ler of fo
drawings & illustration
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:18 pm
^_^ I'm so happy you decided to post your art! Hopefully it wasn't too much trouble! I'll try to make my review worth it xP
The first picture is very impressive for an ipad drawing! I love the green colors. The tattoos and designs to her character are really cool. She has an intense expression as well x)
I think you did a great job with the hair, though I think it could use more shades. Add in more shadow, distinguish the strands a little more, and maybe add some other hues or reflected light. Something to keep it from looking too flat or solid. Excellent job for your first digital piece!
I love the bells, I think this picture is the best of the batch! There is so much shading and detail, it really looks great. It looks like it could be a place from a book, it's that pretty. I really have no critique on this one. I could never draw that well when I was that age! xP
I like how loose and free your lines are in the drawing of the girl. She looks very pretty, and I like her expression. I think this picture could include more detail though. For instance, it doesn't look like you spent much time on the ears. Also, there are smudge lines around her face and outside of her jaw, which could've been erased to give the figure a clearer outline. Overall, it looks beautiful though!
I love the wizard! This is another one of my favorites from this batch. I love her eyes the most. They are nice and big and give a lot of expression, I'm drawn right to them. I also think the pendant hanging in front of her eyes is very beautiful too. The shape of the hood and jacket are very nice, I always had trouble drawing hoods on characters. For critiques, I think the little space between the lips and nose is too dark, it looks like she has a spot of some sort there. Also, I probably wouldn't have known the globe she is holding was a magic ball unless you would've told us that. It's a little blurry, the details are not really there. It just looks like a swirly circle thing.
I love the details on the girl's outfits in the next picture. Very nice! I probably would have given them faces though. One thing I noticed here is that the arms aren't very porportional, they are too thin and don't really show any curve or muscle. Anatomy is very tricky to draw, especially in poses like this! I usually look up a bunch of references until I feel like I'm getting it right.
And you saved the best for last! A very beautiful ink drawing, I just love everything about this. The designs you use are so imaginative. I wish I could see your handwriting a little closer! It looks perfect. This is such a nice illustration.
Whew, I'm done!
I hope this was helpful!
(*waves at FermentingFruit* XP)
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm
I really appreciate the review, and especially stuff about digital drawing, as I'm faaaaar from a pro on that point.
shadow is totally too dark, I know xD
And as for the girls in color.. They were fashion drawings (my department in school, though I'm more of a graphic person), and they weren't supposed to have anatomy, hahah
I think I'll post something else just to show you I can do it :p
(I know you didn't ask for it, I'm just that kind of person, lol)
ler of fo
drawings & illustration
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 pm
Alright Aria, after pouting about the Pats losing for a night, I decided to come back and review these. I'll try and reach all of them.
1. I thought this one was pretty good. I really like the angle you put this at. I also thought it was really good how you made it seem like the wind was blowing, that looked really nice. However, there were a couple things I noticed. The first was with the face. I noticed that it was pretty simplistic, and it looks like just an outline. The other thing I noticed was that with the eyes (or eye, for that matter) it seems to cut in a little too quickly.
2. I like this one a lot. It sets a pretty eerie feel about it, and I could really picture this being somewhere in a story or video game or writing, or something like that. I like how you decided to take time to draw in each brick individually. The only complaint I have with this one is that I thought the bells looked a little simplistic, I'd just spend a little bit more time to make them look a little better. Really great.
3. This is a really good drawing. I hate drawing faces, I hate it. But you did a good job. You did really good job with the features, they are all drawn right and with good proportions and sizes and shadings and what not. However, there was one thing with the eyes, the left one raised up a little bit more than the right. The other thing I noticed was that the shading was a little too dark on the left side of her face. Nice job though.
4. I don't know why you didn't think this one was very good, I really liked it and thought it was great. The face was really good, my only issue was it was the space between the nose and mouth, I thought that was a little to dark and a little to big. I even thought that the eyes were good too, which hardly happens. My only complaint is that I thought that the cloak/robe was a little simplistic. This one was probably my second favorite.
5. Wow, I really liked this one Aria. Something about this was just great. The colors were really great, and it had a ton of small details that were great. Little details are what I think make pictures great, and this one has a ton. My only complaint is that there isn't a face on the women. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but I thought it was a little odd. Overall, really great job with this one.
6. GARGAPHARGABLURGEN! (Gar-ga-far-ga-blur-gun) Sorry, I had to get that out. This is incredible, and by far my favorite out of all of these. This is amazing, so... I can't even find words for it. Majestic, beautiful, striking, stunning, there's a few. I love this. I have nothing bad to say about this. I can't even...
You are an amazing artist Aria, along with a writer. I really look forward to seeing more of your art, because you've definitely got some serious talent (put up more like that last one, and you might take blacksheep's place as artist of the year, but don't tell her I said that). Seriously though, you're great, keep it up. Hope I gave you enough to read lol.
Save time... see it my way.
"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:16 am
These are amazing! I’m incredibly impressed by the skill you’ve shown in these. I’ll note that I’m not usually an arty-reviewer. I think I’ve reviewed art maybe twice in my YWS life! But these are just so amazing I had to come and share my thoughts. I haven’t read the other reviews, so I’m sorry for my poorly expressed critiques!
The second to last is by far my favourite. The colouring is utterly gorgeous, with the right kind of delicate flavour that this image needed. I do think it’s a little odd that while you have some flyaway hairs done very impressively, that the hair at the forehead of each don’t have any? In my experience, we have those little flyaways you just can’t get rid of, right there. The lady on the right also has a slightly bizarre line on her thigh. I can’t tell if this is meant to be there, but I think it isn’t!
In the last one, the left hand vine flower looks a little lopsided due to the angle and the slow thinning of the vines, I think. Perhaps if you bent the blossom just a little that would fix that? I’m not sure, but the images here are amazing. I should employ you to do the page decoration on my poetry book to come. (There isn’t a poetry book coming but I can dream.)
The forth image has so much emotion in her eyes it’s amazing! I do think that her eyebrows are a little dark, maybe a bit too solid? They definitely look like she might have drawn them on. The dip under her nose looks very odd as well, far too pronounced. I feel like most people don’t even notice that part of a person, so I’d like to see it smoothed out a little, a little less noticeable. The ball in her hands I don’t even. I think that the almost 3D effect of her handing the ball out to us doesn’t quite work, possibly because of the lack of definition in her elbow and over her forearm, which makes the image blend into itself.
I don’t have much to say about the third, her nose looks oddly squashed to the side though! Almost like it’s bending along the way, this is probably because of the thicker line of shading against the left side? Your ladies also have very nicely done eyebrows – do they all pluck?
I do like this though, I love the shape of her chin.
I have no idea what to say about the second! I like it though it’s my least favourite.
This first one is my second favourite of the lot. I love the bold colours and lines. I think that her eyes are possibly a little long on the side? I feel like we don’t see that much white when we hit the side on view. The line between her nose and lip is also a little too strong for me, and the line of her ear going up is also really awkward looking for me.
All in all, I’m not an artist so I can’t give you really strong critique, but I absolutely LOVE these. Thanks so much for posting them!
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.
And on the pedestal these words appear:/'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;/Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'/Nothing beside remains.
— Percy Bysshe Shelley
Copyright © 2020
Young Writers Society
The banana is mightier than the pen
YWS logo created by Jordan Bobo
Header images ©
About / Info
Become a Supporter
Hosting by YWS
Forums & RPG
Cover Art Creator
Poetic Lines Gen
Story Theme Gen
110,463 Literary Works • 590,282 Reviews