z

Young Writers Society

Dagger and Scabbard

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun May 07, 2006 1:37 am
Fishr says...

This is one of my daggers but the handle doesn't look anything like the way I sketched it. This picture is going to be used in one of my stories.

Yes, the shading is off. :) I'm definately out of practice but 'pointers' or 'tips' are welcomed. Thanks you! :)
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Sun May 07, 2006 6:44 pm
David Guinness says...

It's not bad, though it looks a tad too flat, two-dimensional. You might add wider shading below the blade and handle.

I would try adding a little more light brown or mahogany color over all of the handle to blend the grain some.

Is it just me, or does the bolster look like it has received a hair transplant?

I would add some color and definition to the scabbard, at least coloring a thicker outline around it.

Overall, it just looks unfinished. I look forward to seeing more of you work.
David Guinness

365 Reviews

Sun May 07, 2006 7:53 pm
Fishr says...

Hey, thanks for the tips! You make good points too. The scabbard (mine), that I was looking at for reference is completely brown, so I guess I can color it in, although brown's not a pretty color. :D

About the dagger, it does look 2-D but I couldn't figure out a way to make it more in 3-D. (I've forgotten :oops: ) But I do like the suggestion on improving the grade on the handle.

Overall, thank you for your imput!
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Mon May 08, 2006 12:03 am
David Guinness says...

As always, you're quite welcome.
David Guinness

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon May 08, 2006 12:19 am
Elizabeth says...

Whoa.... odd looking thing you got there....
It looks too flat, like DG said... but other than that....

365 Reviews

Mon May 08, 2006 12:21 am
Fishr says...

So, I was told. ;) Do you have any suggestions to improve TBR? I could use help to adjust from not drawing in so long.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon May 08, 2006 12:45 am
Areida says...

The strap on the scabbard is quite good, and so is the blade of the knife. But I'm not quite sure what's up with the swirlies on the knife... they rather confuse me. :P

Other than that, noice work. You're a heck of a way better artist than I am. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

365 Reviews

Mon May 08, 2006 1:05 am
Fishr says...

Oh yeah. The swirlies are rope. That was the only real thing I didn't take my time on because my character, like me, can't draw for crap, lol. The poor sketching of actual rope was done on purpose to mock this character's talent, or lack of.

The meaning is the dagger, in the story, was that someone sawed off a section of a deer antler, cut a deep groove inside, and then wedged the blade in the middle. It's described the rope was then wrapped several times around to secure the blade and keeping it intact.

That's why you see the date in the bottom right-hand corner and if you look closely, you'll see S.G. - my character's initials. :)

The strap on the scabbard is quite good, and so is the blade of the knife.
Yeah, that evil strap actually gave me the most problems, lol. The knife was equally a pain in the arse, so thank you Ari for the compliments. I appreciate it a lot. :D :o

Other than that, noice work. You're a heck of a way better artist than I am.
*Grins* :P I have a long way to go, but I think I'm slowly getting better. I really need to go back to basics, but where's the challenge in that? ;)

*Is humbled* Thanks Ari!

Random avatar

Reviews: 212
Mon May 08, 2006 2:21 am
timjim77 says...

It's difficult to get perspective in overhead shots. The use of shading and shadow can improve perspective. Also countour lines on the handle of the knife. The straight lines are part of what makes it appear flat.

365 Reviews

Thu May 11, 2006 10:12 pm
Fishr says...

Hey, thanks Timjim!

I'm re-doing the picture by means of shadowing and shadow now. :)

Thank you everyone for the tips.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat May 13, 2006 3:07 am
Karma says...

I don;t know about you, but I think that they look squasehed
, too thick...
My Karma Ran Over My Dogma
^------^
( 0 . 0 )
---------
Meow

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:31 pm
Myth says...

The scabbard looks quite small compared to the dagger, or is it because you couldn't fit it in?

Is there any changes made?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

365 Reviews

Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Fishr says...

The scabbard would be smaller because the handle of my dagger is in plain view. :) But yes, I had some problems fitting it in the scanner. It wasn't centered when I sketched it.

Nope, no changes yet. I probably should post the actual dagger and its scabbard so everyone can see what I was using as reference.

But thank you for the opinions. I'm very much out of practice, and got back into art after like a thirteen year absense, lol.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
— Captain James T. Kirk