z

Young Writers Society

Trying to Learn to Draw (... Again)

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:31 pm
View Likes
Sureal says...

Right, I tried to learn to draw last time, but for reason I can no longer remember, stopped trying to improve. So, I think I'll give this another shot.

This picture (the only new one I have at the moment) was draw with pencil, and then touched up using MS Paint (yes) to clear away all the nasty smudge marks that my crappy rubber can't get rid of. The lines are slightly blue, cos that's what my scanner does (not sure why). On the origional (non scanned) version, her skin is paler (which I prefer), but my scanner changed that - I'd fix it, but there's only so much you can do with MS Paint.

I (personally) think it's an improvement over my other work.

C&C would be appreciated.
I wrote the above just for you.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Bobo says...

Hey, that's pretty cool. The only thing I notice wrong with it are her arms. They're... odd. I can't really explain it. I haven't seen your past work, but this one is good.

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:51 pm
View Likes
Sponson Light says...

I shall break this down into a few sections.

Curves, the body is made of natural curves from muscle and bones.
Your gal there's elbows and wrists dont flow smoothly. They just "pinch" at the elbow and the forearm (between elbow and wrist) should get thinner about halfway. (look at your forearm, notice how its buff around the elbow, and slowly pans out until the wrist)

People have shoulderblades which make their torso wider and thicker. You need to draw the "back" area. Her hips are also too small and her waist too thin.

Ill admit legs are hard to do, the calf is just like the forearm on the arm, fat near the knee and it pans out towards the ankle.
The knee is a joint, but not everything pinches into the knee.

The grey pencil in reallife is actually a bluish hue. Thats why your scanner picks up blue. Scanners pick up colors and magnifies them. Or something. Yeah.

Its a very nice basic layout you have for the human, some improvement on the said above will help.

Go reference some photos, look at key parts. The head, the neck, the shoulders, arms, legs, waist and hip, and the back if you can.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

So, please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookcase on the wall.
— Roald Dahl