z

Young Writers Society

Ship for 'Robot Dreams'

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:20 am
Prosithion says...

Hey everyone. I just finished a drawing of the ship for my story 'Robot Dreams'. I did it in Google Sketchup, and I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Just for orientation's sake, the engines are farthest left.

Hope you like it. :)

It may look a little bland, but that's just because I haven't painted it. It'll end up being a gunmetal grey color.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 am
Jenthura says...

You did that in Sketchup? I'm surprised, I never saw much more in it than architectural or furniture designs. You've definitely gone far beyond the program's intended use, but I must say, it probably would have been much easier if you used a more flexible program, like 3DMax or Maya.
The design itself is simple, but rather angular, and definitely not low on polygons. I can't remember if Sketchup has a good rendering system, but I do know that it's very bad for lighting. If you intend for this to simply be a small side project, or something with which to visualize your story, then I'd say it serves the purpose. But try using it to render illustrations for the book, or to do animations; I'm sure it just won't do.
Good work, though, and repost once you get the textures on it!
Jenth
-ж-Ж-ж-

Random avatar

Reviews: 19
Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:44 am
Periablo says...

That's a pretty sweet looking ship. The design is original and everything, very nice. I can't wait to see the end result, it looks really great so far. I kind of like the geometrical look, it's not the same as every other sci-fi ship out there, the look is more defined and leaves less for the viewer to guess at. It's not the perfectly fleshed out ship that is in like every show ever. I think that's pretty cool. I hope you can add the gunmetal paint and still keep it from looking generic like a ship from halo or something. At first I thought it would be one of those ships with like a huge green orb in the middle that acts as the power source. I don't remember what I've seen those from but that was always a cool idea. Honestly your ship looks really sweet though. I can't really tell you how to improve because I don't know much about design, but I've given you my point of view from a sci-fi fan sense. Again, I totally can't wait to see the finished result, keep working :D.

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:26 am
Jenthura says...

By the way, are you aware of the science fiction book 'Robot Dreams' by Isaac Asimov?
-ж-Ж-ж-

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:54 am
Prosithion says...

Actually, I'm not, which is surprising, because I am a big Asimov fan. You learn new things every day.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon