z

Young Writers Society

Cell Drawing - Original Character Design

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:31 pm
Dynamo says...

I made this a while back for an assignment for my 3D Graphic Design class. We had to make an original character using the cell drawing technique. Ironicly, I was one of the few in my college level class that fulfilled the requirements. And just so you know, my initials are T.K.

For those of you who think I merely stole this picture off of the internet somewhere, here is the original scan drawn with pencil:

If any of you are interested in learning how to make quality cell drawings, here is a link to the tutorial my professor gave us priory to the assignment:

http://www.mangarevolution.com/tutorial ... rial_id=31
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:09 pm
Katemabob says...

Whoa! Cool!
I like how you kinda have the before and after pictures! I love the shading and everything. I would NOT want to meet this guy in a dark
alley! EEK! Hie eye is glowing! I just have two suggestions:
One: The fingers on the hand on the right are a little oddly shaped ( if ya know what I mean ) Maybe you should try and fix that?
And Two: His skin looks too shiny, like he is made of rubber or plastic.
Anyways... I really like it and I hope to see more!!! :D
Be crazy, be wild, be silly...
Because life is too short to be cool.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:20 am
Telina says...

Well the first picture is taking a while to load, but I must say, so far, yay to the purple background! That is my second favorite color.

Oh wow, I must applaud you, *cheers*
You really know how to use colors and make them work together, red, purple and grey - great choice!
I really like this, he's very well proportioned and he has a nice stance which fits his characters look.

By the way, this man's red eye and creepy stitching with forever haunt my dreams, thanks.
I may of enjoyed it better if you had put gum on the bottom of his shoe *laughs at the thought*
Yes, I would of really liked that. *Ponders a bit more*

Good job though=]
Oh and I'm Telina. PM if you want more reviews, I'd be delighted.

Reviews: 2
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:36 am
View Likes
pinkmunki95 says...

I really admire the shading because I'm really bad at it.
One thing: the colors could be a little more realistic, I think. I'm not sure if that's the effect you were going for, but maybe try to utilize many colors of the same shade to create your colors. That will give your art more depth.
Other than that, very good job and very well done! Keep it up and rock on.
Writing is the only socially acceptable form of skitzophrenia.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:29 am
Lil_Pau says...

*applauds*
Cool work there. I love the colours and the guy's pose. Makes him look cool too. ^^
Good work, keep it up! :)
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 pm
Lava says...

*Gold Star*

WOW! That's brilliant. Great Work! Loved it.
A little nitty-gritty:
1.The left arm looks more plastic and highlighted than the other.
2.And it looks like he's sitting on the lower step and legs on the upper step.

Otherwise, it's WOW!!

~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:20 pm
Clo says...

Hey Dynamo! Wow, this is a very good picture! It’s extremely hard to coloring with the computer, or so I find it. I really enjoy how you included a rough draft for the drawing as well, so we can see what a change the color did to just a sketch.

I think the best part of this picture is the legs and the angle with the perspective. With the shadowing and angle, it really looks like we’re looking up at two pairs of legs, without any real flaws with any of the things that there could be flaws with considering angle and perspective. Very nice job in that area, since so many people have problems with that.

As for areas of improvement, the lines, especially in the face, seem a tad bit shaky. Not a lot – not to the point where it’s very noticeable, but it’s still there, a slight wavering with the line, where it’s not the straight it can be. It’s hard getting lines perfectly straight, whether they are straight or curved, so be careful – it’s a tricky part of drawing.

Also, the fingers on his left arm look a little awkward. Too nubby, and the angling is weird, too drastic.

Other than that, this is a very well done drawing. You’re quite talented.

Gold star!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 am
littlemissgluttonous says...

How do we critique pictures? You should have used more purple?
Well, I really like your picture. Especially the color, it really gives it life. Keep up the artistry.

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom