z

Young Writers Society

Evil dragon of DOOOOOOOM!!!!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:59 pm
Katemabob says...

Here is a evil dragon of DOOOOOOOM!!!
I love the expression on the princess' face as she stares into the gaping jaws of the evil dragon of DOOOOOOOM!!! I know the princess' arm and hand are messed up... I am just bad at drawing people. Anyways... Do you like it? Please give it comments and suggestions... and if you really like it, gove it STARS! I love stars. Anyways . . . Yeah. Hope you like it. I worked hard on it!
From Katemabob
Attachments
Dragon of doom!.jpg
Dragon of doom!.jpg (206.51 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
Last edited by Katemabob on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be crazy, be wild, be silly...
Because life is too short to be cool.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:04 pm
Jon says...

Hi Kate! My name is Jon.

The princess looks a little happy to be getting eaten. Maybe you could add some worry to her face? Her arm should be an easy fix, just draw over it.

I like the way the dragon looks, very cool.

Sorry, I'm not much of an art critic as you can tell.

Good work! *Gold Star* :wink:
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

47 Reviews

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:06 pm
Katemabob says...

KTHX

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:42 pm
Dynamo says...

That's a good start. I'd push it even further by adding a background and some more highlights. Your shading technique is very good, you definitely have some knowledge of how light casts shadows. Remember though, the head is casting a shadow as well, which means the top of the dragon's chest should be cast in shadow. You got it right under the dragon's arm. Be careful not to draw outside the lines as well. If you're using photoshop and you're working with layers, a quick, and not to mention accurate, way to fill an area with a certain color is to outline the inside of it with your pencil and fill the rest in with the paint bucket.

To my knowledge, what you've drawn here is classified as a cell painting. I have the perfect tutorial for you to look at. It'll help you push your technique even further.

http://www.mangarevolution.com/tutorial ... rial_id=31

If I'd have to give you one piece of advice, it would be to always remember what direction your light source is coming from. I've seen some drawings where the artist put shadows in random places. It's confusing to the viewer. From what I can tell, your light source is coming from somewhere in the top left of the picture. Most of your shadows are in the right place, but you missed a few areas, like the chest as I mentioned earlier. Other than that, it's a very good drawing for someone your age. Keep practicing and it'll get even better.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

47 Reviews

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:59 pm
Katemabob says...

OOh thanks! Good info, good info...

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:24 pm
MeadowLark says...

Hey there!

This is a great picture! I love dragons, and this one is awesome! But of course, I have a few nit-picks.

Firstly, the princess's face. It looks sort of...weird. Like her mouth is her whole face. Although her panicked expression is great ^_^

The dragon's head looks like it's pressed flat against its chest. Probably some shading would fix that.

Overall, I really liked this. Wonderful detail on the dragon and good shading everywhere else! Good job!

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

47 Reviews

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:03 pm
Katemabob says...

Yes, Yes... I should fix that. By the way everyone, thanks for the comments. I will do my best to fix the pic 4 u all! BAIII!

47 Reviews

Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:46 pm
Katemabob says...

GUYS! LOOK! I FIXED IT!

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:20 pm
MeadowLark says...

Awesome job Kat! It looks better! Like I said before, excellent shading job!

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:52 pm
fluteluvr77 says...

Wow, did you really color that?? Are you sure? It looks like it's printed or something...**stares with expression of shock on face**. Oh, and I loved the title of this piece! I saw it and started cracking up, and had to click on it immediately! :P...The princess's hand should be a little thicker near the elbow. This would make it look a little more life-like...The dragon is amazing except that it doesn't look too angry...I would change the expression on its jaw to make its mouth curl up a bit so it looks like it's smirking or something...but, that's just me and I'm not that good at art so y'know...good job on this!
fluteluvr77<3
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:41 pm
VampireBloodrace says...

Lol, that's rather funny. I like how you drew the dragon. It really looks evil and aggressive.

The princess looks.....kinda......weird. She doesn't give the impression of "AAAAAAH! DON'T EAT ME!" Ya know?

But I really like the dragon though! ^_^
Friends are life
Music is life
Love is life
Writing is life
Hate is Death

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:54 pm
Eliza:) says...

Overall, your picture is pretty good. The shading is good, and the dragon looks good.

The main problem is the princess. The arm doesn't look right. The thumb is too wide and the elbow is too skinny. There is also only four fingers on her hand. Her expression could also be improved.

Besides that, it is a pretty good picture.
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 pm
KJ says...

I like everything but the princess's hand/arm. It's funny-looking. But otherwise this is pretty neat - I like the colors and the shading. Keep drawing.

47 Reviews

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 pm
Katemabob says...

Yes! Thank you, thank you! I REALLY need to fix the arm... badly... Kay I will fix it when I get around to it. :D By the way everyone, thanks for the comments!

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 pm
Juniper says...

Haha, Katema! This is so cool! June here ;)

Now, that spindly arm of hers can use a bit of fixing, but, since it's a cartoon, whether you fix it or not shouldn't actually matter, dear. It's rather cool, actually-- I love the dragons face!

How do you do it!? Whenever I draw, it's always simple duotone-- no coloring involved. I just can't get my drawings to come out realistically! It's frustrating :P.

The wings are incredibly done! I couldn't draw a dragon to save my life-- even if I were in the girl's position here :P.

No fiery breath? :P

Well done, Katema! This is just, too funny! Keep it up!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
— Leo J. Burke