z

Young Writers Society

Emotions and Lights

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:26 pm
Chupatoasta says...

So... there's this photography contest coming up at my school and one of the catergories is 'Emotions' so I took a couple shots for the 'Depression' area and came up with these

And another catergory is lights so I did these...

Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:52 pm
Juniper says...

Hey there Chupatoasta!

First photo: I like the composition here! I think it should just be tweaked slightly to be a little straighter. Other than that, I think the clarity was off. It was a little too fuzzy and needs to be clearer and sharper.

Second picture: This one doesn't strike me as interesting at all. The composition was off, and you can tell you used flash here. Using flash sometimes kills the photo.

Third picture: Flash again? :P You should try these in daylight so that you can get the brigde or whatever that is back there in the picture clearer. It sort of looks like a snapshot like this.

Fourth picture: Hmm... it's okay. Nothing here strikes me as unique or interesting.

Fifth picture: A tad too blurry. Maybe you should have had one light-flower in the foreground and the rest in the back or something? It would have made this a brilliant photo.

Sixth picture: Hmm... a little too burry. It's practically just a snapshot, dear. Like you know, there's no interesting angle or anything striking about these.

Tips to improve:

- Shoot your photos with a nice background in the daylight.
- Restrict you usage of flash. Flash kills the natural lighting and makes everything look... well... unnatural.
- Make your angles interesting. Try a ground shot, or an offset angle. Go closer, zoom in, zoom out, tilt the camera. Anything. Make it something you won't see in a photo album of someones trip to a little city.

Good job on the whole and best of luck in that contest!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:35 pm
Tabithalillian says...

The first picture was nice, the emotion was shown in a way that was easy to tell it was 'depression'. If any thing it could be a little bit sharper. The seccond and third one as some one already said before me the flash kinda destroyed them. Also It seemed like a new post would have been nice if these were all ment to be shown as diffrent pictures. The last ones were blurry and I didnt really find any thing interesting in them. Sorry! (im not the best photographer my self) But nice job on the first one and thanks for sharing!
Living in a tower

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:42 am
music says...

I loved the first photo. I didn't think the next two photos were as good as the first one because it seemed a bit fake. Like it was set-up and posed for. The flashing lights though, were blurry and it hurts your eyes to look at it. Good job on the first picture. It was perfect.
When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:38 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

These are nice photos.

I looooove black and white.

First photo: I really like this picture. I like the fact that she's buy the water. It makes it more depressing. The only thing is, for some reason, it looks like your subject is smiling! Maybe it's just me...

Second:I agree with spring rain. Flash kills the photo.

Third. Ech. Flash killing it again.

Fourth, fifth and sixth: They are all much, much too blurry.

Peace! :)

-Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:35 am
Chupatoasta says...

Haha, thanks everyone for pointing these things out. After reading your crits and going over my pictures I noticed what you were all talking about. I, personally, don't like flash at all but it was either that or the picture just being a black abyss.

Haruno Sakura, about the first picture: Sadly, yes, my 'model' was smiling. It was my sister so she thought I was being my normal, random self so she found everything funny and didn't want to take anything serious. :roll:

But, anyway, thanks guys and I'll remember everything you mentioned! :D
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:28 pm
lshryock2 says...

[size=x-huge]wow![/huge]

these are awsome!

i like the one depression one with you sitting on the railing od the peir
did you use 'fix' on your computer when editing the pictures.

i like the first 2 pictures of the lights best.
the colors stimulated my eyes:P!

greta job
keep up the good work
"isn't it supposed to be like this? the glory of first love, and all that. it's incredible, isn't it, the difference between reading about something, seeing it in the pictures, and experiencing it?"---twilight

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:49 pm
Behind Scene Walls says...

Those are great!

I like the first three and the last one. I like the Depression vibe and the way you posed totally fit that vibe. I"ll bet you'll win that contest.
Regret is the main thing you hate in a society
because you are always regretting the thing that was regretful.

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian