Young Writers Society

Bucking Beauty

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:50 pm
tdownes says...

just a little something I did. ^^
A bucking stallion.
[If anyone wants to down-size this, they can, but it pretty much a viewable size now]
Attachments
buck.jpg
buck.jpg (757.86 KiB) Viewed 821 times
He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm and the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the Universe. And ...he's wonderful.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:18 pm
Someguy says...

This is beautiful.

The detail is well. I love how much you focused on the body structure. The back legs are good, though the right legs seems a little...funny. Unless his legs went wide open, it looks weird. If it is spreading its legs, than I can't see it. From where the leg starts everything seems normal, but until you get to the its hoof, everything change. After careful analysis. I can barely make out the form of the hoof. So in other words it makes sense now, you just have to make that part clear.

The tail is good. Nice structure and detail.
The horse's shadow though is too weird. I can understand why you did it like that and even I do it, but this is a great picture and to throw it away by not giving it a detailed shadow, would kind of be an insult.

Again I say: VERY GOOD!!

:wink:
Look at my big shiny shell...

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:09 am
Francis Michael Buck says...

Awesome! Great pose, and I love the style. Gives it a very a unique feel. And the tail..just plain genius.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you've read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
-Buddha

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:04 am
JC says...

For such a hard creature to draw, you did very well. I love the body, and the natural wave of the mane and tail.

The legs are amazing and the shading of it's body is very natural. I have nothing but praise, really.
Except for the right leg, which seems kind of awkward. Like it's turned out in a weird way I don't completely understand.
Did you use a pencil to draw this? Or charcoal or something?
And was this freeform, or was there a picture?

Either way, it's very impressive. I would love to see more of your drawings.
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 pm
Emma says...

I really, really like this. Your style is quite unique and the horse just looks beautiful. Such great detail but yet at the same time it's simple. Good.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:21 pm
tdownes says...

Hey, thank you, everyone! Yeah, I know the back legs went a little..well..deformed, in a sense of their position, but, I did this freehand. No references, so that explains it.
I've been drawing horses for a while now. This one was done with just an ink pen, actually. I love using them because it's a trial to see what textures and tones you can create. :)
He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm and the heart of the sun. He's ancient and forever. He burns at the center of time and he can see the turn of the Universe. And ...he's wonderful.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:39 pm
KailaMarie says...

That's absolutely fantastic! I can't believe you did that free hand. You are seriously talented. *gold star*
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:39 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Oh my god! That is so good? Did you do that all with a pen???

There is really not critique I can give you; it's already amazing.

Keep drawing!
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:35 am
anti-pop says...

This is simply stunning.
I have only praise for you :D
I am absolutely amazed that an pen
The lighting was flawless. Even the hair was perfect, which I personally always find the hardest part to draw.
I especially love the way the face and front hooves turned out. I honestly can't believe you did this freehand! However, I do agree with Someguy a bit and wish the shadow was detailed...but I think that the subject is already so magnificent that the shadow isn't really necessary.
Keep up the fantastic work!

*anti-pop
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:54 pm
View Likes
anamachi.boricua says...

Absolutely beautiful. You have truly captured the power of the movements the horse is making. It looks like if you used pen to draw this if so even more power to you. I love the pose and the drawing in general is very life like. Superb job. I would have to say that if I would change anything it would be to add color. Other than that the technique structure and the name of the piece is genius. Please continue your work, I am looking forward to seeing more.
*annmarielovesbooks*

"Insanity is best served w/cheese." - Alicia Archangel

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:15 am
VampireBloodrace says...

*stares at the picture* *doesn't know she's drooling* a...m...a...z...i...n...g! That is really incredible! I'm amazed at how uniquely drawn it is! I'm really jealous... one of the hooves doesn't look quite right.....but then again, who am I to judge? My drawing is so elementary......

Really great drawing! :D
Friends are life
Music is life
Love is life
Writing is life
Hate is Death

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:15 am
VampireBloodrace says...

*stares at the picture* *doesn't know she's drooling* a...m...a...z...i...n...g! That is really incredible! I'm amazed at how uniquely drawn it is! I'm really jealous... one of the hooves doesn't look quite right.....but then again, who am I to judge? My drawing is so elementary......

Really great drawing! :D
Friends are life
Music is life
Love is life
Writing is life
Hate is Death

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:50 am
KJ says...

Yeah, there is something wrong with that back right leg. I would suggest darkening the muscoles beneath it to make it evident that it's bent?

Other than that, I spotted nothing else. I like how you did this - not a style you see too often. So kudos.

Keep drawing.

KJ

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:58 am
vox nihili says...

amazing cross hatching/hatching plus shading. You are a very talented artist indeed to be so accurate in pen'n'ink drawing. I could, (i am an eraser-dependent!) but it'd end up lookiing like who-knows-what. I still try it though... One criticism: there is this tiny, weeny, incy line under the horse's flank that is stray.... having it would drive me nuts.... If you didn't use white out, then that makes me an artist amazed beyond all description. ^u^
Cheers!
--Voxina

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— Apple Inc.