z

Young Writers Society

Self Portrait

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:11 am
Lena says...

This is a self portrait that I drew this summer. The photograph that I based it off of was taken when I was 10-11. The dark shading down the center is from where I folded it in half while taking it to art class. (oops)

My drawing!!
Please crit. don't be too mean.
And don't look through the rest of the pics in my album.

:shock:
Thanks,
Lena

EDIT: please comment...u guys are starting to make me think it's really bad or somthin..
she's a runner, rebel and a stunner, lookin' down the barrel of a hot metal .45, just another way to survive...

myspace? http://www.myspace.com

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:50 am
View Likes
CastlesInTheSky says...

Hi, you reviewed Chapter 7 of my novel so I decided to check out some of your work.

This is a really beautiful drawing.

Shading and Light The quality of light has a huge effect on the emotional impact of any painting. You haven't blocked any part of it but this doesn't matter because the shading is beautifully done and the light is diffused, creating a muted effect. There's a beautiful morning light feel in it, and the light combined with the drowsy mood makes it perfect. The only thing you could improve on is adding more depth to the background.

General Feeling This has a very casual, light feeling about it, and your sentiments are wonderfully conveyed here. You aren't looking straight ahead but at something behind the viewer, making it more complex. It's almost mysterious, but in a care-free way, if you know what I mean. Also, you have a very mature, magnetic serenity about you that is very obvious to the viewer.

Face The face shows a dramatic skin tone subtly modeled around your face shape. This attention to structural detail leads to a simplified, direct aesthetic effect.

Well done. This was a beautiful piece of work and I'm surprised no-one has reviewed it yet.

--Sarah
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:05 pm
View Likes
Searria H. says...

Hi. I agree with CastlesintheSky about everything she said about the feel of the piece.
I really like your drawing. I don't know much about art, but my sister does. Anyway. Did you use a picture of yourself or did you just draw it? I thought the shading was nice.
Your ponytail seemed to stop to suddenly for me. It didn't feather out enough, or something. Other than that, beautiful drawing!

-Sea-
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:36 pm
Archstormangel says...

Your ear looks as though you carved it a bit.

Other than that, looks good! The face may be a little too dark, but I can't really say without a comparison of what you really looks like. ^^;

Good picture, though. :3
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:56 pm
Lena says...

Thanks

yeah w/ the ear and ponytail

those are two of my least favorite things too draw, so I spend very little time on them. The hair isn't supposed to look realistic, because it wasn't supposed to be the focal point.

I'm sorry its so dark..my digital camera broke and so i had to take the pic with my computer so the lighting was really crappy. In the actual drawing, areas like the tip of my nose and my cheekbones are actually white, which just goes to show how much bad lighting can mess up your picture.

The background is white too lol.
she's a runner, rebel and a stunner, lookin' down the barrel of a hot metal .45, just another way to survive...

myspace? http://www.myspace.com

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:54 pm
.:Echelon:. says...

I really like this picture but it really needed a bit bit more time spent on it, colour could make it a lot better.

I also agree with this,

General Feeling This has a very casual, light feeling about it, and your sentiments are wonderfully conveyed here. You aren't looking straight ahead but at something behind the viewer, making it more complex. It's almost mysterious, but in a care-free way, if you know what I mean. Also, you have a very mature, magnetic serenity about you that is very obvious to the viewer.
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:36 pm
Azila says...

Nice! The proportions are very nice, and you seem to have a lot of control.

The only suggestion I have is that you make the dark parts darker, so that the light parts look lighter. Right now it's all gray. All the lines are pale gray (pretty much), so there isn't much contrast. If you use more different tones, it will look more realistic and professional. Try making it darker in places where there are more shadow, like under the jaw, and under the ear and under the nose.

The hair also could use more contrast, I think -- look at a photograph and see where the hair shines, then you don't draw anything there, and put shading in everywhere else.

Really, what I think it is is that you tend to use shading mostly for color (like in the eyes) and you need to think more about shadows.

So, very, very nice framework -- let's see you bring it to life a bit more! ;)

PM me with questions/comments!
~Azila~

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena