Young Writers Society

Why So Serious?

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:39 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

:)
I drew this today using pastels. I was going to go over his face with white pastels, but it came out grey, which was a shame because I thought it would look good, kind of grab the texture of his make up. The mouth was really hard to draw and didn't come out quite right, I know, but I'm relatively pleased with it anyway. What do you think?
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:06 pm
andimlovegalore says...

I can't really critique because I'm not an artist at all really... but Joker <3 hurray!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:11 pm
Cade says...

I think he looks too happy...like, legitimately happy, not creepy-happy like the Joker should. I think the makeup could be a little more bold, a little more messy, like it is in the movie. Same with the hair...it just looks like you drew some quick squiggles, whereas the hair ought to be more "artfully" messy, and look a little dirtier. Also, his body looks way too large, and one shoulder appears to be much higher than the other, but I like the detail of the outfit.

-Colleen
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:30 pm
Clo says...

Did you use watercolor pencils? It looks like it.

I like everything from the neck down. His jacket looks cool and all that. The colors look very nice too. Except then his face looks very happy happy, kosher happy. Not demented happy. Bake cookies happy. Besides it being the smile, perhaps it's because he's looking away? Maybe if he was glaring at us with that smile it would be a little more twisted, Joker-y looking.
How am I not myself?

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:34 am
[deleted3] says...

Yeah I'd have to agree with Cade. The face looks as if the Joker joined forces with Batman and they just fought their first crime together, or The Joker got out of therapy and they finally found a pill that controls him. Oh, that's what it reminded me of, A Clockwork Orange we're the main character starts weezing and chocking if he tries to be himself and isn't smiling or saying and thinking happy thoughts. You did a really good job on the hair. But in saying that it is still a good and the eyes look to racoony, but it's still a good drawing of a genuinely happy Joker.
Victer

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:04 pm
Archstormangel says...

I think the head is too small, and unnaturally positioned on the shoulders. He does look genuinely happy, give him a more intense look in the eyes. Bigger pupils, etc. and make his smile more of a leer - and his hair isn't all that messy, just curly.

But I really like the color and the obvious work you put into it. Good job!
Just play with it a bit ;D
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

253 Reviews

Reviews: 253
Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:19 pm
CK Lynn says...

I think he needs more creepiness, but you got the insane look right.
"Just saying none of us want to conquer the world won't stop some other idiot from trying."
~Liberty and Justice, by Paul Dini

www.batmanworldblog.blogspot.com

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:55 pm
xxfourthelement says...

The eyes are really what's kind of messed-up about his demonic happy face. (He SHOULD look demonic, that is.) They seem too... you know... cheery.

When you do a psychopathic character, it's best if you make the eyes wider - I draw anime-style, which is much more exaggerated, but it works with realistic drawings, as well. Try making the irises smaller, the pupils small (dialated). That makes you think "crazy", doesn't it?

And do reduce the size of his shoulders, as well as making his neck a little more visible.

This picture is pretty good - keep up the good work!
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:59 pm
Bella says...

Yeah. You definitely did better than I could - but he looks too happy. Like actual happy, not the weird, creepy, I"MA KILL YOU NOW sort of happy. *nod*nod*

:)
Bella
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart) <3

Please review my performance poem?

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:02 am
.:Echelon:. says...

its is really good, but you really need two add some black to the smile. Also his hair is green.
Attachments
darkknight_promo2.jpg
darkknight_promo2.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 325 times
Every rose has it's thorn..
Just like every night has it's dawn.

I've matured a lot and I realised it was time to come back.. for good!

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:12 am
miyaviloves says...

I agreee that he looks too happy, aww bless him! But I also agree with Clo that the jacket is brilliant but not so much the face. You need to put a lot more detail in there, like how the paint isn't perfect on his face, how the paint gets in to the wrinkles and stuff. Oh and the hair needs to be green very important :P

Keep working at this!

Meevs
x
Bag.

Got YWS?

Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson