z

Young Writers Society

Winter's Princess

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:41 pm
View Likes
singing_hope says...

A photograph I shot of my cousin last winter in the woods.
Attachments
yws1.jpg
yws1.jpg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 466 times
"Live deep and suck the marrow out of life."

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:57 pm
Rydia says...

It's a lovely photo! I wish you'd got more of the background in though and the full hood so it didn't appear so cut off. But the focus on your cousin is good and it's a nice shot.

Also, this is just my personal opinion but it might have looked better if your cousin had worn a less garish shade of lipstick so there wasn't such a huge contrast. But then, some other reviewer is probably thinking 'but wait... I like that contrast.' Lol.

Nice photo!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Random avatar

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:35 am
View Likes
singing_hope says...

Hey, thanks so much for the reply! I appreciate it. I wish I could have gotten some more of the background, but this was a very tough shoot. Perhaps if I shot this in a vertical angle I could have gotten the entire hood, so i'll keep that in mind for next time! I know what you mean about the red lips, but that's what kind of inspired this whole series, lol, I actually love it! Thanks so much for your reply though!

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:19 pm
View Likes
xxfourthelement says...

A little tight, but a nice photo. The setting is such a pretty color of blue!

(And, incidentally, I like the contrast - it's the brightest thing in the photo, makes the subject look more lively. At least, to me.)

Did you have other pictures from this shoot, as well?
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

Random avatar

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:32 pm
View Likes
singing_hope says...

Hey xxfourthelement! Thanks for the reply! Yes, I do have other photos from the shoot but I figured I needed to review more work before posting mine, hehe. I like the contrast too, I agree that it makes the photo look lively! Thanks again!

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:34 am
View Likes
happy-go-lucky says...

I agree I like the contrast too - it keeps the photo wintery but brings colour to it at the same time. The furry hood is a good touch as well - i can't really sum it up but it just makes the whole photo look so snowy and cold (in a good way!!!!).

I don't really get much snow where I live but i love it! It always seems to make nice artwork and photography.

Where abouts was the photo taken?
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:40 pm
View Likes
singing_hope says...

Hey Happy-Go-Lucky! Thanks for the message! Glad you see the advantage of the contrast. Winter is cold but it doesn't need to be harsh so color gives it life! Too bad it doesn't snow much where you're at :( I'm in Michigan, it snows like crazy! lol I took this out in the woods! Where do you live? Thanks again for commenting!

62 Reviews

Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:10 am
View Likes
happy-go-lucky says...

you are so lucky! I live near windsor and we only get snow on one day a year (if that!) and that always turns to grey slush! So I love pictures that have snow in them - winter is definitely the best time of year! :D

You have to send me some Michigan snow digitally via YWS to make up for my lack of it! I'll swap your snow for rain (which where I live certainly doesn't need more of :S) - good swap? Didn't think so. :D

Carry on taking photo's like this one! Contrast is always good (unless it's a bit too O.T.T.!)
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:12 pm
View Likes
evieffizz says...

it a wonderful photo really it is and i love the glow of her face to the background.

but it would have been nicer to have seen more of the background and her surroundings.

I'm sorry if this has hurt you in any way but it really is a lovely picture.

with love

Evie
-x-

Random avatar

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:35 am
View Likes
singing_hope says...

happy-go-lucky: lol I LOVE RAIN! Sounds like a good trade lol I'm glad in Michigan there's a balance...I couldn't live anywhere that was warm or cold year round. I need sun, rain, snow, cold, hot, etc. I mostly love the autumn and the rain though! I'll send you some pics (nothing artisitc though lol) when it snows here in a few months!

Random avatar

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:37 am
View Likes
singing_hope says...

evieffizz: Hello! No, your comment did not hurt me! No worries :) I agree with you, this was a really tough shoot though! My first time shooting in the snow so it was difficult for me to focus my lense properly. Also, I was wearing the wrong shoes and my feet were beginning to freeze, lol so I didn't stay as long as I would have liked. Anyway, you're right! I wish I could see more of the background too! Thanks :)

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:21 pm
View Likes
Via says...

I have to agree that I'd like to have seen a bit more of the background.

Did you photoshop this at all? It seems like her face is a lot brighter than anything else in the picture, and although she is the focus...it almost seems like she's sitting under a light rather than outside. This affect also occurs when a flash goes off occasionally though, so it's possible. If that's it, possibly standing farther away from her when taking the picture would help with that!

This is just my opinion, as well, but could we possibly see what it would look like in black and white? I like the contrasting colors on her person along with the black/white of the snowy background may make for a great black and white photo...but I could possibly be wrong on that haha.

Great shot ;)
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

62 Reviews

Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:55 pm
View Likes
happy-go-lucky says...

I agree Autumn is amazing! It's really ironic that people complain about it being too hot then as soon as the cold comes they start to moan about it being too cold! Balance is a must have lols!

You're lucky you like rain! It's a done deal singing_hope!

*digitally sends rain to Michigan*

enjoy your August showers!

xx
- Oscar Wilde

[as a roleplayer is feeling sad about torturing her characters] GrandWild: "You're a writer, dear. Embrace it."
— GrandWild