z

Young Writers Society

Book covers.

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:02 am
myfreindsavamp says...

Okay I still haven't gotten an answer to my question on devaint art or whatever. I was trying to ask where the titles should go on A New Light on a Distant Shot and it's second book, The Only Key. I still am working on the first book though. Hopefully I can fiinsh it and get it published.

Another question. Should it be colored or should I go for diffrent?

Here's A New Light on a Distant SHot's cover(hopefully)

http://ambercoultis.deviantart.com/art/ ... n-92193479

Here's The Only Key's cover (if I can get either published and the hopefully again) :?

http://ambercoultis.deviantart.com/art/ ... y-92193797

Okay this is edited once again. Should I use these covers above or these? I haven't fihished the second book's cover with color but the first cover colored does have a signfigace. The girl on it is suposed to be Jessica from A Knew Light on a Distant SHot and the boy? The dead cousin from the begining.

First book?

http://ambercoultis.deviantart.com/art/ ... t-93321799

Second book?

http://ambercoultis.deviantart.com/art/ ... d-93322327

SO?

Edit] Here's the second colored. http://ambercoultis.deviantart.com/art/ ... d-93479506

And? :lol:
Last edited by myfreindsavamp on Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:26 am
Sportgurl46 says...

ok, so for the first cover, i am guessing that you want the point at wich the rays meet to be noticed. so where i would put the title is somwhere below that point. or, you could do this thing where you put half the title on the top half, and the other part below it. now that i thik about it that would be pretty cool :)

For the second cover, the girl is the main point for it, so i would suggest putting the title above her head so that it is kind of covering the top of it.

you don't have to use my suggestions, but they are there if you want them :)

did you draw those? they are really good :)
omg lol thx HD!

118 Reviews

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:43 am
myfreindsavamp says...

Yeah, I drew them. Thanks.

I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to know what other people thought.
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:59 pm
gamechanger10 says...

I agree with sortgurl on where the titles should be located.

For the first one I didn't really get what it was for a while...but I'm good now.

I'm not sure what to say with the whole color deal...some covers look cooler in black and white.

What colors were you thinking of using?
That could make a difference...

Nice drawings, anyway. They're really good!

-GC10
"The difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." -Mark Twain

118 Reviews

Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:10 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I don't know yet. I'm thinking about asking my mom if she can buy photoshop for me but I have no idea yet. And I can't get it now because we spent a lot of money jesterday. Momshould know that if we go for school suplys that more money will be spent than needed. Like buying cool felt pens to create these. These were just duddles.

http://ambercoultis.deviantart.com/art/ ... l-92315638

http://ambercoultis.deviantart.com/art/girl-92315475

http://ambercoultis.deviantart.com/art/ ... y-92315314

Okay, getting off topic. I'll go look at them and try and deside.
-Amber

118 Reviews

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:57 am
myfreindsavamp says...

Okay? I hae aknew question.

118 Reviews

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:48 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I need at least one opinion!

I added more but I dout a thread with more messages from the creater than anyone else will be looked at again if you've already seen it. It has more tot he main thread but I need an opinion on it. It's weather I should go with the uncolored or the colored I'm about to finish.

Help!

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:15 pm
Teague says...

Just as a heads-up, to the extent of my knowledge, most publishing companies don't let the author design the cover. So don't rely on these too much for your cover image, okay? I mean, yeah, drawing them is fun. But don't get your heart dead set on them.

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

118 Reviews

Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:48 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I know but I'm still looking for opinion.

60 Reviews

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:48 pm
Sportgurl46 says...

ok, so for the first book, i really like the second cover better. it has more life, and i love the colors you chose :)
for the second book i would stick with the first one you had in mind. i couldn't tell you if it would be better in color because i can't really see it in color.

hope that helps :) let me know if you need anything else :)
omg lol thx HD!

118 Reviews

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:59 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

I'm still working for color on the second for the second book. I'll get it up tomorrow.

118 Reviews

Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:56 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

Edited once again and bumped once again. :?

60 Reviews

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:30 pm
Sportgurl46 says...

ok, i have to say that i like the second cover better in color. here is my opinion on black and white covers:
they aren't so great. they don't catch you eye as much. and i know this is bad, but with books, i really do judge them by their cover. i think that if the cover isn't so good, then they probably didn't take the time make a good book. that is just my opinion and that could be completely wrong. but i think that your colored covers are much better than your black and white ones :)
hope that helped :) pm me if you need anything else :)
omg lol thx HD!

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:21 pm
Archstormangel says...

Honestly?
IF these are book covers, they're rather bland, boring, and too empty. A head and some words floating on a big, empty page is not interesting. More designs are needed. If you want critique on the art itself - it has the marks of an obvious beginning anime artist. The wide faces, the wide eyes and the over-sized irises and pupils, while at the same time having a really small nose and mouth, and the hair doesn't flow.

Regarding your question: I think the first choice for 'A new light' doesn't leave very much room for words. It doesn't look as though words would work anywhere on it without taking away from the picture. The first 'The only key' cover is pretty good, but again, words don't seem to match with it. And depending on what type of key this only key is, including metaphorical, I don't think car keys would create the right imagery.

If I HAD to choose, I'd definitely choose the first choices for both. The others seem too relaxed for the titles and thus the hinted storyline.
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

118 Reviews

Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 am
myfreindsavamp says...

Thanks archstorm.

trust your heart if the seas catch fire (and live by love though the stars walk backward)
— E.E. Cummings