z

Young Writers Society

Drawing of a guy

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:48 pm
savetheoceans says...

I drew this eariler this year. It took me a little over an hour with an ebony pencil..it's not my best but, I tried :roll:

By the way, I didn't scan it - obviously from the time in the upper right corner - I took a picture of it from my sketch book. Just in case someone was wondering lol

Any critiques are wanted ;]
"Destiny is not a matter of change, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

60 Reviews

Reviews: 60
Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:42 am
Sportgurl46 says...

wow
i think that this is a GREAT drawing :) i have been trying to draw guys my whole life, and they never looked as good as you drew this guy. well...my guys were pretty much stick figures, but hey, i tried.

i love all the shading and all the details :) i have a question...did you draw this in insperation of a certain guy, or did you just draw him in your head first? (pretty cute guy too;) sorry if it's a relative or something)

all in all, this is great :) very well done :)
omg lol thx HD!

7 Reviews

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:12 am
savetheoceans says...

In reply to Sportgurl46,

your right - this picture was inspired by someone or rather something. Have you read Twilight? If you have I'm sure your familiar with Edward Cullen :wink: The first time I read the book I couldn't stop thinking of that one fictional character. I had this image of him that was ever present in my head and it was so beautiful that I just needed to get it on paper. Of course, I couldn't draw exactly the image of Edward Cullen that I pictured in my mind onto paper, but I came kinda close. =]

& thanks for the compliments =D This was actually the first guy I put effort into drawing, before I was horrible at guys too =/ I think it just takes a little bit of passion and persistence to finally be able to draw someone and have it turn out somewhat decent. I'm my own worst critic, so usually I grow frustrated with my works and leave it unfinished...but, I'm learning to control my criticism. lol
"Destiny is not a matter of change, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:44 am
Via says...

It's definitely a good piece!

The main issue I seem to find with it is the arms. I think the colors are great with the shading, and with one arm the shading was continued. But, on the arm that is underneath there isn't much shading and a serious lack of hair. In fact, I can't even tell if that's his elbow, wrist, or something else. I'd just suggest adding some hair to make it match the other arm.

Also, I'd suggest darkening the hand a bit. The way it lightens up so much gives his arm an ape-like appearance. Unless you were going for a werewolf thing, which I could see, and in that case then ignore this ;]

Good work!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

7 Reviews

Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:50 am
savetheoceans says...

In reply to Via,

Thanks =]. & the other arm is actually the part behind the elbow, the inner part that bends at the elbow in other words. It lacks hair because men and girls seem to have tinier, almost invisible hair in that certain part of their arm. I figured the veins would give this away but, apparently not...maybe a little hair on the very edge will do.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

P.S. I wasn't going for the werewolf thing...lol...more like vampire ;]
- William Jennings Bryan

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:52 pm
Bookmarker says...

If this is not your best, I want to see what your best is! :smt045 That ebony pencil drawing of yours is fantabulistic! :smt038 I can't even draw a dot, so maybe it's just me. Some people can't even draw a straight line though. Anyway, THIS WOULD LOOK GOOD TO A LOT OF PEOPLE! Keep on writing :smt024 and never give up. You are very talented! :smt080
Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:41 pm
[deleted3] says...

This is very cool. Kinda of reminded me of the animation in A Scanner Darkly, don't know if you saw that film. It seems as if he's shirtless or naked, I like that aspect, don't know if that's right? The only thing that bothered me was that big blob, or his other arm? or some other animate object? The only reason it bothered me was because it's very obscure while the rest of the painting is beautiful and simplistic. I have nothing against obscurity in drawings and paintings I just felt it wasn't sufficient in the drawing. But you may have your reasonings that would make me think otherwise. Nice work though, I liked it. Very modern.
Victer

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:10 pm
Archstormangel says...

His nose and mouth are a little funky, kind of disfigured...?
But the shading is just beautiful. You filled the entire page, colored it, and detailed it to the max. It's beautiful. His arm is a little strange, but you drew the details such as armhair, so it;s beautiful. Critiques?
Make his hand bigger, it looks too small, proportionately. The other arm is a little out of whack, change the angle a little bit. His nose needs more volume(?). It looks too 2d, compared to the rest of the image. and you skimped on the lips, put more details into them. They're too harsh, make them blend into the skin more.
Good job, keep drawing!
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:18 am
Clo says...

Wow! You're a very talented artist.

A lot has already been pointed out, but I'm going to add what I noticed:

The lips. You have a thin, definite line around the lips that make them stand out a bit more than they should. Instead of outlining them like you did, I think you should just do variations of shading without the outline.

Still very, very good. And you're only going to improve as time goes by... you're gonna be amazing someday! So keep drawing! And posting!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley