z

Young Writers Society

Drawing of a hand

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:53 am
Juniper says...

Here is my drawing of a hand, reaching out in midair.

This is all I can show you of it =(. See, I was almost done with the shading and all when my Mom threw my stack of pages away, assuming they were trash. She threw my precious chrysanthemums I was drawing away too =(. Oh well, I cant blame her :D I left them in the living room, but anyhow, the photo isn't great, I was testing my camera, which apparently is BROKEN, and I just aimed it at the page I was drawing. So, drawings not great + photos not great =MY COMPLETE frustration! And this is another of my 5-minute-boredom scribbles :D. I'm working on a detailed one to show soon :D. Anyway, enough of my rambling and I'll let the photo talk for itself:

Ouch, I even forgot to sign it.
I'll put much better ones soon :D
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:15 am
Via says...

Hi spring!

Welcome to YWS...a month ago ;)

Anyway, the drawing. Because of the low quality of the photo and the small amount of detail available to begin with, there isn't much to really be critiqued. The only things I can point out are:

-the fingernails. be careful how "large" or ..."long" you make them. for such a small hand, the nails seem to take over the fingers. be especially careful on the thumb as the thumb itself seems to almost disappear or be deformed around the nail.

-the arm. it gets a bit wide at the end. i don't know what kind of body that arm is attached to, but from the looks of things it would have to have some pretty mighty-mouse like features and some shunken hands to make sense.

The rest of the detail and direction of the hand and fingers and all of that is really quite nice. It's a great starter piece, which as you said would have been more if it weren't for the unfortunate circumstances, and I do hope to see more from you! Hands and feet are two of the hardest things to draw, I think!

Good luck!
-Via
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 am
The Queen Of Doodles says...

It's pretty awesome at first glance, details and all. But the nails are too big, ESPECIALLY the middle finger and the thumb. And the arm...Oh my gosh, the arm...It gets really wide in the end.

So your mom threw away your work AND your cam's broken?! I feel your pain. :lol:
Call me Judith...or Sushi Man...or Pipsqueak, Carol, Knorr, Dagsbunny, Dith, Chups, Leah Jr., Nagaraya, Due Date, Braces, Jill, Jet, Sweetheart, Metalmouth, Jude, Mommy, Maria, or Bibi. Yeah, I know, so many nicknames. Pick whichever you preffer.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:28 pm
Jon says...

hey it's me as requested, i think it was OK at first glance like all others said but like everyone else said too was that the fingernails need working on too, they are really big for such a small hand and the other thing i can tell that was wrong with it was that the arm is thin but then it widens really quickly and it looks weird, anyway it was good and you can tell from this piece that you have a talent but it's a shame that it's squandered by not taking your time, when you rush you really take your talent and just smash it, so from now on i think that you should take your time with all of your pieces and they would turn out great so try it, you never know what will happen

---Jon---
:D
Gay Writing/Support Group. Gay or not, spread the word!

Support GLBT people -- God does.

Got YWS?

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:45 pm
Lauren says...

Not much detail and the arm is a bit dis-proportioned. Apart from that, you did the joints well; I can see the frame nicely.
Now, this might not make much sense but the the sections of the fingers don't look quite right. The last one, nearest to the palm, should be fairly longer than the middle one, not shorter.
Hope I helped a little.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:18 pm
BloodSunset says...

Alright, since I'm not that great at hands I really think you did a good job. As others have said the fingernails are to big, next attempt maybe make them a little smaller. The arm looks a little awkward, going down it gets to wide, losing the elegance that the hand could represent, after all the pose looks as if it could be very elegant. The fingers have to much of a fold in them, but they are very detailed. I give you congratulations on the hand though, because unlike me you can actually get them almost perfect..where as me...eh...not to good.

Keep drawing and never give up ^^
Porcelain skin stained with tears,
Hands covering her face to hide from her fears.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:41 am
Clo says...

Heya!

Your linework is very nice. Its smooth and concise, and that's what I like to see. None of that sketchiness or wavering hand look.

The fingernails are a bit long - but considering I've seen some people with strangely proportioned hands, i.e big fingernails or really wide thumbs or long pinkies and the like, I believe perhaps this was intentional? If not, then try to work on realism. Look at your fingernails. Contemplate your drawing and its proportions while looking at hands.

The one thing I do have an issue with is how the arm tapers off into an widening branch.... it widens too much, too fast.

Still very good. Hands are dreadful things to draw, and this does look very nice overall.

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year