z

Young Writers Society

Nature's paintbrush: Butterfly Photography!

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun May 11, 2008 4:44 am
Sohini says...

Butterflies and flowers are a visual delight. Here are some I captured in our garden. Enjoy!

1.Brown Beauty

2.Nectar Love

3.Fancy flight

4.Proboscis Perfection

5.Pose In Pink

6.White Innocence

7. Amongst Red

8.In Search of Sweetness

The titles are a little lame, so bear with me. The photographs are what counts here though.
Last edited by Sohini on Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Sun May 11, 2008 5:45 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Those are beautiful!

I'm jealous, my camera got lost. :(
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 pm
Dr. Jamie Bondage says...

They are all gorgeous! I wish I could take pics like that! I feel like I'm actually there! Lol. Great job! Can't wait to see more!

Jamie

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue May 13, 2008 12:39 am
Azila says...

Hey there!

1. I find the background a little distracting, but the foreground is really nice. Great capture of the butterfly's profile!

2. Again, the background is distracting. I also think there is too much empty space at the bottom and to the left of the frame. Maybe try cropping those parts out so that the focus is really on the butterfly and the flowers?

3. Nice! You must have been so happy when you got that one. :) The butterfly is a bit blurry, but I guess that's inevitable?

4. I like this one. A lot. I would rather that leaf wasn't there in the background behind the butterfly (it's hard to see the butterfly because of it) but I guess there isn't anything you can do about it now. :D

5. Pretty! The colors are gorgeous... the bright green and pink against the mundane brown makes the aforesaid brown look so beautiful and special. I have nothing negative to say.

6. It's kind of hard to see the white butterfly against the white flowers. :? Maybe you could zoom it in and crop it so that the butterfly was filling the entire frame?

7. Very cool. I like the fact that we're looking the butterfly in the eyes, almost. The background is a tad distracting, but it isn't bad.

8. Nice. I love the bright yellow flower! But I think you got a little too much of the stem. Maybe try cropping it?

I actually like the titles. :lol:

Even though butterflies and flowers are probably the most cliché subjects for photography, you did very well. I especially like numbers 7, 5, and 4.

~Azila~

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue May 13, 2008 9:43 am
Twit says...

Those are really purty! :D

3 is a bit busy blurry, but the proboscis one is great!
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue May 13, 2008 5:51 pm
Aedomir says...

Wow these are really great!

1) It is hard enough to see the butterfly as it is. Try to contrast the background or blur it some more, crop it in to the butterfly.

2) I love this one the colours are really interesting. I like how the butterlfy just moves down it. Good image, and the background doesn't really distract it.

3) This is my second favourite. Although it is a little blurry, I love the motion of the butterfly you have captured, good job!

4) This is nice. Not bad, the butterfly stands out, and quite a good photograph. I dislike however the bakground. Can you edit it to a brighter colour perhaps?

5) Wow this is gorgeous. The colours are great, it stands out and I love the pose of the butterfly. My favourite is this one, no bad sides I think :-)

6) In a way, I find the limitations of contrast fun, as if it blends in to the background. However, I find it a little hard to see, but nonetheless a good photo.

7) Not bad, nice colours and I find it doesn't dominate the picture - good one!

8) Oh nice! I love the angle, a great way of capturing the butterfly. :D

-------

Not bad at all! In fact, I thought those were great. Yes, they have been done, but such images are hard to capture and I should like to know how you got them!

-Mark
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Tue May 13, 2008 6:46 pm
Shine says...

Those are just like the perfect shots.Couldn't have been better!

My Favourites were actually all but still I think the "3.Pose in Pink" and "8.in search of sweetness" are a bit more attractive than the rest.

I will call the 6th pic "The white innocence " an art,how lovely it looks with the white butterfly sitting on those white leaves.

Keep pouring in your master pieces!
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Tue May 13, 2008 7:27 pm
zoeybird13024 says...

I like those pictures! It captures nature at it most beautiful! Butterflies are amazingly delicate and beautiful--and a sign of spring, too!

Haha, I liked the titles!!! I thought they were fitting!!!

-x- Ashes

411 Reviews

Sat May 17, 2008 1:33 pm
Sohini says...

Thanks!

Yeah, I know the backgrounds aren't interesting but when shooting butterflies my first aim is: Get it before it flies away! Next shots, if I am lucky to have them still sitting, I pay attention to the background.

You guys like those titles as well. Aww...Thank you!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Wed May 28, 2008 5:42 pm
Muse says...

Wow, these are brilliant! I'm jealous you have such beautiful butterflies in your garden.
The quality of all are brilliant, but i especially like "Proboscis Perfection". It lives up to its name ;). I love the composition of the first one, you have a great photographic eye. And well done for getting the flying one so perfect! Keep it up, you're pretty good! x
"Sometimes we see a cloud that's dragonish,
A vapour sometimes like a bear or lion,
A towered citadel, a pendant rock,
A forked mountain, or blue promontory,
With trees upon't that nod unto the world,And mock our eyes with air.."

124 Reviews

Reviews: 124
Wed May 28, 2008 7:28 pm
Saphira says...

Wow these are really good! I think that the angles are good althought the third one looks blurry. I think that 4 6 and 7 are the best as the are really sharp and the colours are amazing! Keep it up!
Come to the dark side. We have cookies!

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Thu May 29, 2008 5:11 pm
blacktiger3915 says...

I love butterflies! They are so elogent and graceful, even when they are just caterpillers. Anyway, I loved how you captured the light from the background and how you photographed the butterflies. Your garden must be beautiful to look at. I wish I had a garden. :( Keep taking pretty pictures!
Don't send sheep to kill a wolf.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:59 am
Lynlyn says...

These are stunning. I've only taken one or two photographs of butterflies in my life - they move so quickly, I'm never lucky enough or prepared enough. Looks like you were both. ;)

I really like the fourth one, it lets you see the full shape of the butterfly's body. when they're just sitting there, you don't really see that, but since it's kind of hovering... it's just a really neat shot.

It's true that the backgrounds in some of them were a bit distracting, but these things move so quickly that it's tough to get your composition right before you have to snap the shot, yes? Over all, an excellent job - and you're so lucky to have pretty butterflies right in your back yard!
"Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world." - G. B. Shaw
Lynlyn's Magical Critique Emporium - request a review here.

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:24 pm
summergrl13 says...

OMG! I love this! I want your butterflies! *Snatches up butterflies and runs away laughing maniacly*
I will review for you! PM about it if you need one!

Come check out my new story at topic53543.html

411 Reviews

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:31 am
View Likes
Sohini says...

*meows in excitement*

Thanks everyone, for all your appreciation!

lucky enough or prepared enough. Looks like you were both.

I try to be!

"For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein