Young Writers Society

Colourblind Surrealism

Reviews: 4

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:01 am
Sohini says...

Great drawing!!!

I don't know much about surrealism but the colours make a eerie contrast and the lizard is creepy.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:17 pm
Teague says...

Haha, wow, I feel bad for someone who *is* colourblind and tries to get the full experience of this.

But on another note, wow. The colouring is *very* good, elaborate yet a flawless blend. It's clear you put a *lot* of heart into this. The concept is cool too -- I like how the girl's head changes into a pocket watch, complete with numbers and knobs. The lizard is a bit random, but it neither detracts nor adds to the drawing. It's pretty to look at, though.

Overall, this is well done. Good colouring, interesting concept. Good job. ^^

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:28 pm
Emerson says...

Could you upload a larger version of this? I would love to see it in greater detail.

I love the way the skull is also a clock, but the missing IX bothers me. I think if you're going to do the clock, do it in full, although I understand because there isn't really anywhere to put it. I think it would be better, though, if you had the IX. The wings at the back of the head, and the way the skull tappers of and curves is beautiful. I'm not entirely sure what I think of it. The colors are amazing, and it is beautiful, but then I ask myself, why on earth is there a lizard in the brain? Why are there wings? I want to make sense of what you put on it, but I suppose you just put them there? Or should I look for a deeper meaning?

Either way, it is beautiful. I love it so much, and would greatly appreciate a larger view.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Reviews: 4
Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:12 am
Tyki_Mikk says...

Ah, Suzanne, the IX isn't there because of the weird doodle near the eye.

And the lizard just popped into my mind, in the first draft, it was a snake...

The clock is an inspiration from Salvador Dalí, I am currently in awe of his works, especially the famous Persistence of Memory. The watch is melting if you notice.

Thanks for appreciating.
(\_/)
(°_°)
(> <) <- This is Bunny(YAY BUNNY!!!). Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. VIVA WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:29 pm
Alainna says...

This is very well done and made me think of Dali straight away (the whole clock thing...). I love his melting clocks.

I think the lizard looks a bit like it's just been put there to fill up space, if you know what I mean? Other than that I really like it. The colouring is very good and the layering is very nice.

Good stuff!

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:53 pm
Sacred says...

lol I didn't see the face until I looked at it twice. I like the colors, but the lines just seem to bold and timeless to me.
The colors certainly keep me interested but the main drawing doesn't do such a good job.
you just keep giving, but you never get back

I could literally be Obama and you guys would never know.
— AilahEvelynMae