Unchained Dragon

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:12 am
View Likes
~Volant~ says...

Yay, he's freeeeee!! :D

What do you think?

Editted! I changed my dragon up a bit, and at the moment I'm playing around with muscles and limbs, even some color, but I don't know how it'll work...well, here it is so far. Is it any better?
Attachments
draygoneunchained (with fins).JPG
draygoneunchained (with fins).JPG (106.17 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Last edited by ~Volant~ on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where are we going?

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:16 am
View Likes
Sleeping Valor says...

Methinks his tear is not of joy, but of laughter. That's a very small chain to be holding such a large dragon. He shouldn't have had much trouble escaping. =P

Also, nice! I very much wish I could draw dragons. They rock. =P

Good work. ^_^ You should do another one in color!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:18 am
Via says...

I think it's a very good idea! But, of course, it needs to be finished. Color in the white spots and such, and some definite shading needs to occur.

Remember dragons aren't one dimensional (well, I suppose technically they are...but pretend they are real haha). They have lines and fat rolls and muscles and all the same things people have...add them in! It will make a wonderful addition!

That's really all I can say right now, but I'll look forward to the finished version!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

93 Reviews

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:29 am
~Volant~ says...

I wish I could give it some wicked, rolling muscles...But I don't know how...*scans the internet for something that could show her how...*
Where are we going?

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:18 am
View Likes
MidnightVampire says...

Hm.... I don't know about the muscle problem. My sister might, she draws dragons often. But she's baking cookies (which I'm going to take one of when they're done), so i can't help you there. Here's my attempt at critiquing this dragon.

I like the fact that the dragon is free (maybe the dragon wil be able to take some revenge on the idiot who imprisoned him.) The collar thingy (the neck thing... don't know what it's called), looks like it's chocking him. This is because the neck lines arn't equall. The bottom line goes in near the collar thingy, making it look like he (i hope it's a he, if not then sorry) is being choked.

The spine ruffles (don't know what they are called either), are a little too strait. If you can, then make the lines a little less strait. Sorta like what you did near the neck shackle thingy, having it sorta torn. Or weathered and beaten in the case of the spine ruffles that are not around the neck shackle thingy.

This dragon really rocks, much better than I could ever draw. Great job. other than those things I pointed out, couldn't find anything else. Again, great job (for some reason I always say it twice)
-MV
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:51 am
View Likes
Gladius says...

Ooooh, pretty dragon. ^_^ Love it! I draw dragons, too, and I must say she's (you said he, but looks like a she to me ^_^) quite the cutie.

However, I'm not so sure about the webbing between the spines, most notably from the horn to the first spine. I do like that the webbing is broken where the collar is. Nice touch. :thumb: And Vampire has a point--the neck is too small underneath the chain. I mean, it could be a little tight, but the poor thing's being strangled as it is! :cry: It doesn't look as if the muscle thing is an issue, but that might just be me (our styles are very similar, so I have no complaints about that issue! :)). Oh, LOVE the fangs, by the way. ;)

A few other things: for one, the tear thing--it makes her look a little sad; still kinda happy, but sad. I think it's 'cause of the line you've drawn for her lip. Dragons (in my book) can smile, too! :D Make her so happy it lightens up our day! I mean, come on--what poor little creature wouldn't want to be free of those wicked chains?!
I think she might need some wings, too. The way you've drawn the neck, there should be a pair of wings at the very bottom right edge of the picture, and maybe suggest the beginnings of front legs, too. Do you see what I mean? :? *shrug*

Awesome job!! *huggles dragon* I want to take her home with me... :D ^_^
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:57 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

I think it would defineately benefit from some shading and work on the webbing between the spikes. It should dip more and have lines across, shading, more of an opaque, stretched effect if you know what I mean.

The fangs are really good and I like the general body structure but I'd suggest having the facial features smaller. The mouth shouldn't touch the bottom of the head at both sides and I think some form of eyelid and eyelashes for the eye would give it that extra touch of detail.

Good work with the chain and in general, it's looking really nice so far. Good work.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

93 Reviews

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:22 pm
View Likes
~Volant~ says...

Thank you for all of your ideas!

I didn't notice that the poor thing was choking....oops. lol

I did try to make him/her smile, but I suppose I failed. I'll fix that.

The spines do look a little even, but I was too afraid that the extra detail would be way too busy...maybe, though, the muscle issue will fix that up a little...
Where are we going?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:54 pm
View Likes
Aedomir says...

Its really nice, just seems a bit... dull. give it some cool fiery colours. I like the shape and the idea, you are a great drawer!
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

93 Reviews

Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:36 pm
View Likes
~Volant~ says...

Hm....It's always lighter...you can't even see the detail on the lower fins...I'll have to fix that...
Where are we going?

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:17 am
View Likes
Teague says...

Haha aww... I really like the expression. It's kinda cute. ^^

...Dragon? Cute? I'm going to hear it for that one later on. xD

I think it's a wonderful piece. Although I do agree with Via -- it does need a bit more detail, especially in the vicinity of the neck. And that chain does seem pathetically small. Unless the rest of the dragon was chained? Lol. Let's keep the laws of physics in mind here, okay? =P

But otherwise, this is really great! Like I said, the expression is really well done. Aww, he's free. I want to snuggle him now. *snuggles*

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

237 Reviews

Reviews: 237
Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:03 pm
View Likes
Teh Wozzinator says...

That's really cool... add some colors and I think it'd be awesome. It looks really neat.

I wish I could draw... anything... especially dragons.

Teh Wozzinator
Go K-State for North Division!!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 pm
View Likes
Autumn says...

awwess that's so cute ^.^

nice job, though if you want some crit, I'd suggest adding a greater variation of tone on the dragon to give it more depth (like for the shading), and maybe adding in a background would make it more interesting.
But there's still tomorrow
Forget the sorrow
And I can be on the last train home

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 pm
View Likes
Ratter-chan says...

Aw, it is so cute! I just want to run up and hug it! *attempts to run/hug through computer* Owww..... Anyway, :backtotopic:! As I said before, it's adorable. ^-^ It would look so much better in color,though! It would make it stand out and give it more personality (though it has a whole bunch already! ^-^). Also, try and give the teardrop some dimension. Overall, it is a wonderful drawing! You did great on the expression, it makes me sad and happy at the same time! ( if that is even possible...)
Anyway,(again) Keep up the great work! :D
"You are NOT a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else."
~Edward Elric

"Cool! We didn't blow up!"
~Jimmy Neutron

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:38 pm
View Likes
Scorpia says...

I loved the ripped skin around the coller, it shows how long the dragon has had to wear that stupid chain. It's kind of cartooney. I like it though. Good job, glad I clicked on this pic. His tear of joy made me smile. It reminded me of the dragon in the last HP book that got free, he had been ties up for soooo long. The color is good. Not too much but not too little, lol. :)
Scorpia
Feel the urge to give some constructive criticism? Why not give it to these stories?

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1298113/Scorpia710

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana